Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

FourLeaf posted:

So in the end, nothing happens. Ugh.

Once pardoned, he MUST testify before anyone who wants him to testify and will no longer be allowed to claim the 5th. If he still fails to do so or lies, he can then be charged with contempt or perjury

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Trump doesn't know how pardons work so they can't legally conjure them up because he didn't hire a qualified secretary or staff. He'll badly tweet what could be assumed as a pardon and it won't take hold because it isn't in the books yet.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

How the gently caress did the FBI miss this but find Huma's laptop.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
https://twitter.com/kasie/status/884815201433944065
We're all shocked by this development, I'm sure.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

What's the over/under on number of logical fallacies presented tonight on the Hannity interview? How much Whiskey do I need?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Night10194 posted:

They had Huma's (old) laptop from investigating Weiner's sexting with an underage chick

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon
Jun 22, 2017

by Smythe
Where is Jeff Sessions in all this?

jklfdsa
Oct 30, 2006
blah

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Much crazier scenario: things start moving really loving fast, and Trump's popularity utterly craters and Pence is implicated beyond any doubt. The Republicans decide to impeach them both so they can get ahead of the Dems and put Ryan in the White House.

They're never going to do that, though, because Ryan, McConnell et al. probably knew about the collusion (thus their refusal to work with Obama in trying to reign in the Russian hacking last summer) and are themselves implicated. They'll fight impeachment and cling to Trump to their last breath, knowing that it's political suicide, because it will keep them out of jail--at least until the Democrats win back control of Congress.

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

David Byrne - Like Humans Do (Radio Edit).mp3

aware of dog posted:

Still no word from Greenwald on Jrs emails, but he did retweet this
https://twitter.com/theintercept/status/884805947499192320
Cool that you're paying for her defense after your sloppiness got her arrested, it's the least you could do

Popping in for my monthly "Glenn Greenwald is very cool, sorry you're so fragile that you're threatened by him for some indescribable reason?"

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

B B posted:

President Trump is being advised not to wade into the Don Jr. stuff:

A current picture of Junior

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Night10194 posted:

Let me tell you a story about a man named Anthony Weiner...

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon posted:

Where is Jeff Sessions in all this?

No doubt laying low in the knot of a maple tree, drinking bourbon out of a thimble, and dreaming of simpler days.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

zenguitarman posted:

What's the over/under on number of logical fallacies presented tonight on the Hannity interview? How much Whiskey do I need?

instead of drinking whiskey and watching Hannity, enjoy a shandy and watch NBA summer league

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

FourLeaf fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jul 11, 2017

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

Honest question : what's stopping trump from pardoning junior on this, letting him go ahead and rack up all the contempt and perjury charges in the universe, then just continually pardoning those?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
In time likes this politicians look to men like Ollie North to fall on their swords to protect them from the fallout.

Does Trump have anyone loyal enough to take the fall?

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Crabtree posted:

Trump doesn't know how pardons work so they can't legally conjure them up because he didn't hire a qualified secretary or staff. He'll badly tweet what could be assumed as a pardon and it won't take hold because it isn't in the books yet.

This has been talked over in the thread, Trump could go on twitter right now and pardon Junior by tweet and there's a credible argument that'll be enough. There is no formulaic requirement for the use of the pardon power.

Same Great Paste posted:

Honest question : what's stopping trump from pardoning junior on this, letting him go ahead and rack up all the contempt and perjury charges in the universe, then just continually pardoning those?

Congress, or in other words, "Trump's favourability among Republicans drops below 50 percent, give or take"

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Antti posted:

This has been talked over in the thread, Trump could go on twitter right now and pardon Junior by tweet and there's a credible argument that'll be enough. There is no formulaic requirement for the use of the pardon power.

Ah, so all this requires is for Donnie to care about his son or think that anything they did was ever wrong.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Same Great Paste posted:

Only Congress's tolerance for it.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

eviltastic posted:

https://twitter.com/kasie/status/884815201433944065
We're all shocked by this development, I'm sure.

President Price it is

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair

Lid posted:

In time likes this politicians look to men like Ollie North to fall on their swords to protect them from the fallout.

Does Trump have anyone loyal enough to take the fall?

Part of me feels like we're seeing ol' donny jr taking the fall right now

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

https://twitter.com/ditzkoff/status/884799153926230016

I.. uh, what?

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

DreamShipWrecked posted:

President Price it is

Tom Price is 12th in the line of succession, that's a wild ride you're predicting there!

:v:

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
This thread moves way too fast so I went back to see the actual moment when DTJ JR dropped the tweet.

Spiritus Nox posted:

Trump Thread II: The man make a twee-Holy poo poo
This needs to be the new thread title.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Same Great Paste posted:

In practice, nothing, but that would be so egregious that I believe even McCain would​ step beyond "seriously concerned" and actually vote to impeach.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

RiggenBlaque posted:

Part of me feels like we're seeing ol' donny jr taking the fall right now

Can't be, Ollie at least used a shredder.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

empty whippet box posted:

Can someone at least attempt to figure out why he would tweet this?

Surely even the dumbest, most stupid idiot in the world can read those and realize they incriminate him for what he is being accused of, and also everyone else for things they hadn't been accused of yet?

Surely he didn't mean to do that. HOW THE gently caress COULD ANYBODY BE THIS STUPID????

"He released his emails unlike Hillary who wiped 33,000 of them. Who REALLY has something to hide?" - FOX NEws

At this stage of the game, I think it's just arrogance and hubris - feeling untouchable and above the law -
and until someone somewhere suffers consequences for it they'll keep doing it. I honestly put it at 50/50 that they'll get away with it.

I'm not generally conspiracy minded and I know It sounds paranoid, but I can't shake my concern about the idea of this administration launching a staged major terrorist attack, a pre-emptive war on NK, or even a phony "assassination" attempt on Trump to drastically change the narrative and alter the news cycle. I honestly wouldn't put it past them and obviously they have the means. Our President was a "reality" TV show star who obviously has no interest in governing and only wants attention and praise. If the heat gets turned up too high I could easily see this happening (and right now it seems pretty hot). Of the 3 possibilities I mentioned, I'd put my money and the last one.

I know it's nuts, but it's been in the back of my mind as a genuine possibility. Not sure if that says more about me or the state of our current government though but the idea that I can't entirely rule it out as absurd bothers me a great deal.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/MattBors/status/884806705527177216

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
Trump won't pardon anyone because he's a selfish rear end in a top hat. The moment someone tells him that someone pardoned can be compelled to testify against him he'll let them all burn to protect himself.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

BiggerBoat posted:

"He released his emails unlike Hillary who wiped 33,000 of them. Who REALLY has something to hide?" - FOX NEws

At this stage of the game, I think it's just arrogance and hubris - feeling untouchable and above the law -
and until someone somewhere suffers consequences for it they'll keep doing it. I honestly put it at 50/50 that they'll get away with it.

I'm not generally conspiracy minded and I know It sounds paranoid, but I can't shake my concern about the idea of this administration launching a staged major terrorist attack, a pre-emptive war on NK, or even a phony "assassination" attempt on Trump to drastically change the narrative and alter the news cycle. I honestly wouldn't put it past them and obviously they have the means. Our President was a "reality" TV show star who obviously has no interest in governing and only wants attention and praise. If the heat gets turned up too high I could easily see this happening (and right now it seems pretty hot). Of the 3 possibilities I mentioned, I'd put my money and the last one.

I know it's nuts, but it's been in the back of my mind as a genuine possibility. Not sure if that says more about me or the state of our current government though but the idea that I can't entirely rule it out as absurd bothers me a great deal.

Stop worrying about a false flag conspiracy, look at how much they managed to gently caress up a simple conspiracy.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Who's to say their version of reality is not the real one?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Same Great Paste posted:

At the federal level Nothing, until directly thumbing their nose at congress's authority hits the limit of what Ryan and McConnell can take.

But when (not if) he gets dragged in front of NY state law enforcement for questioning about any money laundering or securities fraud that may have gone into a Russian quid pro quo he's boned because the president can't pardon state crimes.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Reverand maynard posted:

reminder that trump hasn't even actually hosed anything up yet. He's damaged our government but I mean he hasn't gotten anyone killed directly because of his incompetence during a crisis yet.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/seal-american-girl-die-first-trump-era-u-s-military-n714346

Sure looks like dead people to me. gently caress off.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Don Jr. posted his treason on twitter but it will still be years before he ever faces consequences for it. gently caress.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

Even if that happened, everyone not in Trump's camp would hesitate to believe it wasn't a conspiracy. Reality in America is broken. There is no longer any mutual acceptance of fact.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Lote posted:

Scene: Trump Tower June 7 4 pm

Veselnitskaya: Now when I say, "Let's talk about 'adoption'" and press down on your foot, you smile and nod.

Don Jr: No problem.

Veselnitskaya: Let's talk about "adoption".

Don Jr.: *stares blankly* This is the most insane nonsense I've ever heard.

One of the only possible explanations I can come up with for why lil Donnie didn't see this as damning is that the 'we have incriminating stuff' followed by 'so about the magnitsky act' literally didn't register to him for what it was.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Ginette Reno posted:

I wonder who the NYT source(s) were.

fake edit: They were Donald Trump Jr all along :v:

Same. Someone pointed out there were only a few people in the loop on that email chain. Seems likely to me that it's the Russians themselves are leaking this stuff.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozy68I0kOYM

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Dirt posted:

Who's to say their version of reality is not the real one?

I see you know how to play "argue with No Butt Stuff Sr."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

I'm not generally conspiracy minded and I know It sounds paranoid, but I can't shake my concern about the idea of this administration launching a staged major terrorist attack, a pre-emptive war on NK, or even a phony "assassination" attempt on Trump to drastically change the narrative and alter the news cycle. I honestly wouldn't put it past them and obviously they have the means.

How in the gently caress do you expect them to be competent enough to pull this kind of thing off? LOOK AT THEM.

• Locked thread