Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

They are getting very predictable in the setup of their content though. A dungeon every odd level, primals at x3 and x7. Odd patches bring a new 24 man raid, even patches a new 8 man. One new primal per patch, one old dungeon (hard mode) + one new dungeon.

The content is a lot of fun and I'm pretty happy with stormblood so far, but it is at least a bit weird that we can confidently predict what patch 4.4 will bring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

I hope I'm not the only person who's bothered by this level of predictability.

Considering that predictability is the base game using the main theme as a capstone to a series of optional fights and the expansion using the main theme as the first phase of the final fight of its third major patch, I don't know what predictability you're bothered by except "main theme being used in a climactic boss fight".

Like what would be unpredictable and satisfying? Aurum Vale Hard with Coincounter 2 set to Revolutions? Conventions are that way for a reason.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, right now my strategy is single target rotation for 1/2, scatter-> Aero/Thunder or Scatter -> Stone/Fire if it procts for 3 or more, I wasn't sure at what point Scatter started being worth it so I mostly used it for the huge-rear end pulls. If it's 4 or more I'll have to adjust a bit.

For 3 targets you should be doing Scatter > Aero/Thunder. Ignore Fire and Stone procs, since they are both weaker than Aero/Thunder and give less mana (9 v 11).

The reason you use Scatter at all at 3 targets is that it's giving you 300 potency on 3 targets, vs the 270 of Fire/Stone/Impact or the 240 of Jolt. Aero/Thunder are also 300 potency, so at three targets you get the same damage but more mana per cast.

Once it reaches 4+ targets, you just Scatter all the time as it's 400 or more potency.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm talking more about "this is how it was in past expansion cycles so we know for certain that's how it's going to be in the future, forever".

Well, yes. There's a pattern these things are going to follow regardless. The post-MSQ patches should be continuing storylines and introducing new and dramatic fights. That isn't a bad thing. That's the purpose of them. It's predictable in that we know that peace didn't come to Eorzea and the next 4 patches aren't the Hildebrand Dance Contest but since we're playing an ongoing MMO we know they're going to keep building things up.

The Gate posted:

For 3 targets you should be doing Scatter > Aero/Thunder. Ignore Fire and Stone procs, since they are both weaker than Aero/Thunder and give less mana (9 v 11).

The reason you use Scatter at all at 3 targets is that it's giving you 300 potency on 3 targets, vs the 270 of Fire/Stone/Impact or the 240 of Jolt. Aero/Thunder are also 300 potency, so at three targets you get the same damage but more mana per cast.

Once it reaches 4+ targets, you just Scatter all the time as it's 400 or more potency.

Good to know, thanks!

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Philonius posted:

They are getting very predictable in the setup of their content though. A dungeon every odd level, primals at x3 and x7. Odd patches bring a new 24 man raid, even patches a new 8 man. One new primal per patch, one old dungeon (hard mode) + one new dungeon.

The content is a lot of fun and I'm pretty happy with stormblood so far, but it is at least a bit weird that we can confidently predict what patch 4.4 will bring.

I'm starting to think WoW has broken people with its "throw darts at a dartboard" approach to story and content production that "has a coherent plan" is weird now.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The very exciting alternative of not knowing when patches are going to come out or what the scope of them will be, like how every other MMO that isn't FF14 does it

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Captain Oblivious posted:

I'm starting to think WoW has broken people with its "throw darts at a dartboard" approach to story and content production that "has a coherent plan" is weird now.

I think there's a happy medium to be found between that and "all stories and patches will have the exact same structure from now to eternity".

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Rainuwastaken posted:

Same thing I've noticed. Having a grand total of two standard defensive cooldowns is brutal. I'm gonna have to level Paladin eventually for my retainer, and I have a feeling it won't be nearly as stressful.

Dark Mind feels super out of place. Why did they get rid of Dark Dance? Becoming a parrying dodging god for a short time was neat.

A large part of why DRK feels so squishy now is because the changes they made tore up a lot of synergy DRK skills had that could make weak skills good for mitigation. Dark Dance + Dark Passenger gave 15 secs of high evasion on trash packs, Blood Price used to give enough mp per hit that you could spam DA AD nearly every gcd for decent sustain, and Low Blows helped let you rotate stuns in larger pulls if you had a SCH or honest healer that wasn't already stunning everything.

Losing all of this with nothing in return is really noticeable in dungeons but you also can feel DRK's lack of mitigation a bit in 8 man content too. You'll never take anticipation in such content so I've seen ACT parse my parry rate around 8% on Susano fights when I've used DRK yet on PLD my block rate usually sits close to 30% thanks to the myriad ways I can increase my block rate on that class with natural CDs.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Captain Oblivious posted:

A coherent plan isn't very exciting or surprising. It's reliable though, so if you know you like the content, its good.

That said, Legion's patch cycle is actually pretty consistent as far as WoW goes. You basically have alternating content releases of casual/world content and raid content.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I think there's a certain degree of logic in having a coherent, predictable patch plan for a subscription MMO. It likely lets them more accurately estimate how their subscription numbers will change for each patch and figure out what the right rhythm of patches. Especially having a new primal each patch is useful to them, because they know people like fighting primals.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Fister Roboto posted:

I think there's a happy medium to be found between that and "all stories and patches will have the exact same structure from now to eternity".

Such as? I can't think of an MMO that does that kind of thing. Or at least, does it as well, as consistently, and with quality content like FFXIV does.

I'm willing to bet that the reliable planned structure is part of what lets them focus on what they want to develop and get it out consistently.

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

It's also nonsense, because they have been adjusting the patch content to do more "other things" this and last expansion.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I really don't see anything wrong with them having a consistent development plan.

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

3.x had stuff that wasn't in the package of "poo poo we get every/every other patch". The problem is that it was stuff like Diadem, Verminion, and Diadem Again. It also seemed like there was less of it, but maybe they'll do more now that they're cutting back the dungeons. We'll see, I guess.

(I do miss "surprise here's a third trial starring your buddy Gilgamesh" though)

Ryanbomber fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jul 11, 2017

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
Yeah, I think Fister's point is more "maintaining the status quo forever is uninteresting and unambitious", not "the content they're making is bad and we should all stop playing this dead gay game".

Fortunately, I like the structure they're going with, so I'm A-Okay with things for now.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Rainuwastaken posted:

Yeah, I think Fister's point is more "maintaining the status quo forever is uninteresting and unambitious", not "the content they're making is bad and we should all stop playing this dead gay game".

Fortunately, I like the structure they're going with, so I'm A-Okay with things for now.

That's like arguing that hurricanes landing once a year makes them boring. They're certainly not boring for the people who have to weather them.

The issue comes when the content is all actually the same and boring, and that's not the case so it's the biggest nonissue nonproblem I've ever seen complained about.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

FortMan posted:

Denmo did it again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlgxj1qDn6I

Warning: spoilers, flashing things.

Quoting this because it's just cute and fun :)

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah the structure we expect is just the baseline, we know and expect them to keep adding other stuff as well. On the flip side I have confidence in the main features of patches but the side content is often pretty iffy.

I believe they will make an active and long lasting diadem this time solely because the relic comes from it so people are forced to go. I hope they make it more of a solo thing though, so you can enter it like a normal zone *then* group up. needing a party to enter sucks. Full disclosure I actually liked New diadem but nobody wants to do it with me.

From recent interviews, blitzball is looking more and more like a sure thing. I wanna be excited for it since I put tens of hours in it in FFX but at the same time I dont know if it will make the transition to mmo very well and worry it will wind up as an esoteric mess of recruitment and skill shot hell. Even if it takes the ffx2 approach I still don't know.

Jinh fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jul 11, 2017

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Ryanbomber posted:

3.x had stuff that wasn't in the package of "poo poo we get every/every other patch". The problem is that it was stuff like Diadem, Verminion, and Diadem Again. It also seemed like there was less of it, but maybe they'll do more now that they're cutting back the dungeons. We'll see, I guess.

(I do miss "surprise here's a third trial starring your buddy Gilgamesh" though)

On the upside, while a lot of the experimentation of 3.x didn't pan out some of it did. Iterating on what they started with Palace of the Dead and Aquapolis is exactly what they should be doing and are doing. Aquapolis 2.0 is in the 4.05 patch with Savage according to their slides :toot:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

That's like arguing that hurricanes landing once a year makes them boring. They're certainly not boring for the people who have to weather them.

this analogy is worse than being hit by a hurricane

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I am sitting on a dozen maps waiting for the polis

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Oh yeah and aquapolis and potd are fun as hell to me, potd because I go 51-100 instead of 51-60 every time so at some point I do actually have to turn my brain on a little.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Between PLD and DRK, which should I level? I used to love WAR but I don't like how it feels right now.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

Between PLD and DRK, which should I level? I used to love WAR but I don't like how it feels right now.

PLD is at the moment the hot poo poo tank.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

cheetah7071 posted:

Oh gently caress I knew I had forgotten something while leveling my Miner aaaaaaa

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
eh. pld is currently hot poo poo in 8-mans because it has the highest dps and highest raid utility.

but you need to bring, you know, a second tank, so drk is still good. if you like the playstyle more there's nothing wrong with playing drk.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

PLD is bae right now. That may or may not persist, but I don't think it'll get significantly weaker before we get the next expansion. That said, PLD is still has a bit of a :shepicide: feel to leveling (this is based on the lldr runs where I don't have RA available.)

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Sometimes you Blackest Night someone who's going to get hit with an ability that drops them to 1 hp like in Temple of the Punchers and they end up with 4401 instead and you're like gently caress yeah, instead of a bunch of healing you need slightly less than a bunch of healing now. Very satisfying.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

I don't like that Rhalgar's rebuilding is probably going to be our modern Revenant's Toll / Idyllshire considering the resistance already won and we could be chilling in Ala Mihgo or Kugane instead.

As for patch talk, our forever trend of 450 cap tomegear patch, 24 man patch, run expert every day forever is boring as hell. I was actually a little hopeful WT would provide an alternate way to cap tomes, but that didn't pan out.

nuru fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jul 11, 2017

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Oxyclean posted:

A coherent plan isn't very exciting or surprising. It's reliable though, so if you know you like the content, its good.

That said, Legion's patch cycle is actually pretty consistent as far as WoW goes. You basically have alternating content releases of casual/world content and raid content.

THERE MUST ALWAYS BE A DARK TITAN

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

cheetah7071 posted:

Hell loving yeah! Next Tuesday, when everyone is getting pumped for savage, I'm chain running Polis 2.0 all loving day. Let's be Polis bros.

On an unrelated note, what do you think the chances are (MSQ spoilers) [spoilers]Fordola is reformed and joins the Scions due to her (new) Echo powers? We need a replacement for Lyse after all. The excuse could be "Fordola turns over a new leaf, but doesn't feel like she can face Ala Mhigans anymore after what she's done, so she's on a journey to redeem herself before returning home" or something like that.[/spoiler]

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

nuru posted:

I don't like that Rhalgar's rebuilding is probably going to be our modern Revenant's Toll / Idyllshire considering the resistance already won and we could be chilling in Ala Mihgo or Kugane instead.

Rowena's Toll, Rowenashire, and now Rowena's Reach.

Ala Rowena doesn't have the same ring to it (plus people might actually get annoyed at her for usurping an entire state rather than just a city.)

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

strong bird posted:

Whats it like being an insufferable retard all the god drat time

e: btw its not a mirror, my monitor is on, my sound card works perfectly, and my drivers are all updated

idk, i haven't read your post history :smug:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

nuru posted:

As for patch talk, our forever trend of 450 cap tomegear patch, 24 man patch, run expert every day forever is boring as hell. I was actually a little hopeful WT would provide an alternate way to cap tomes, but that didn't pan out.

I haven't run expert daily since early in heavensward and still had no trouble capping tomes. Expert is an option, but it's hardly needed to cap.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

Hell loving yeah! Next Tuesday, when everyone is getting pumped for savage, I'm chain running Polis 2.0 all loving day. Let's be Polis bros.

On an unrelated note, what do you think the chances are (MSQ spoilers) Fordola is reformed and joins the Scions due to her (new) Echo powers? We need a replacement for Lyse after all. The excuse could be "Fordola turns over a new leaf, but doesn't feel like she can face Ala Mhigans anymore after what she's done, so she's on a journey to redeem herself before returning home" or something like that.
That's almost definitely what's gonna happen, in my opinion. She thought that becoming loyal Garleans was the only way Ala Mhigo could improve its status, but she's gonna walk around with you and see that people are doing pretty okay without the Garleans up in their poo poo. Also, she has van Baelsar's gunblade, and everybody's favorite Good Garlean will live on through her.

Truth Quark
Mar 21, 2010

:ffg:
EAT THE DONUTS
:ffg:
I would be Ok with a Fordola redemption story which is weird because during the MSQ I could not wait to kick her loving poo poo in.

Touchfuzzy
Dec 5, 2010

homeless snail posted:

That's almost definitely what's gonna happen, in my opinion. She thought that becoming loyal Garleans was the only way Ala Mhigo could improve its status, but she's gonna walk around with you and see that people are doing pretty okay without the Garleans up in their poo poo. Also, she has van Baelsar's gunblade, and everybody's favorite Good Garlean will live on through her.

Wouldn't the gunblade she uses be van Hydrus', not van Baelsar's, seeing as she uses his x-blade laser attack? That what I thought, at least, unless I missed some bit of text that specifically said it was his. Then again, they both died, both blades look the same, and van Hydrus was pretty okay too, so at least some good garlean would be living on.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
Hey all - just started, got my Pugilist up to 15, leveled Gladiator & Thaumaturge up to 10 each to see if I liked any of them better, and started dipping my toe into a few of the crafting professions too. I won't say I'm feeling 'lost,' but maybe 'overwhelmed' is the right word.
I guess, other than "plow forward into the story, dump all mission XP into main class" is there anything else I should be looking into? Anything I should think about spending my leves on? Or my gil?

And just a general quality-of-life question, but - is there an easier way to switch between job classes than going into the Character pane, changing out their weapon, then clicking on the "equip recommended gear" button, etc. etc.? Any way to condense all that into a single easy step?

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

I haven't run expert daily since early in heavensward and still had no trouble capping tomes. Expert is an option, but it's hardly needed to cap.

Somehow I knew someone would have to be the pedant here, and you win the prize. I know it's not daily, look at the bigger picture of my complaint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

The new Aquapolis better have even longer door animations, with even more tricks. I want a door that open and then immediately closes! I want one that opens but there is a trapdoor on the other side! I want a door that appears closed but you can walk right through it!