Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Fallen Hamprince posted:

btw if u guys hadn't noticed yet don jr just posted proof of collusion on his twitter

What's the actual proposed offense here? Don Jr. admitted he arranged a meeting with someone claiming to be from the Russian government to get dirt on Hillary, and the email says (hilariously) that the Russian government explicitly supports the Trump campaign. Is that a crime? It's not the same thing as, say, Don Jr. instructing the Russians to hack the DNC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

UHD posted:

I hope hillary runs in 2020 because it'll be the nail in the coffin of this failed experiment, humanity.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Zoran posted:

What's the actual proposed offense here? Don Jr. admitted he arranged a meeting with someone claiming to be from the Russian government to get dirt on Hillary, and the email says (hilariously) that the Russian government explicitly supports the Trump campaign. Is that a crime? It's not the same thing as, say, Don Jr. instructing the Russians to hack the DNC.

yes, you're not allowed to illegally influence an election, with the help of foreign agents or otherwise

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Raskolnikov38 posted:

yes, you're not allowed to illegally influence an election, with the help of foreign agents or otherwise

Isn't that begging the question? What's the illegal influence here?

Can Don Jr. actually be convicted of a crime on the basis of this evidence?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

zegermans posted:

sir you can't bring a flammable item like your strawman into a mcdonalds

it's okay, the strawman is as hypothetical as the mcdonalds

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Zoran posted:

Can Don Jr. actually be convicted of a crime on the basis of this evidence?

I mean it sounds like there is a decent laundry list of cyber crimes related including what was dictated in the NSA thing and what appears to be a framework of a conspiracy/quid pro quo.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Zoran posted:

it's a political contribution by a foreign agent

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Raskolnikov38 posted:

it's gonna be great when Hillary runs in 2020 on the platform of the Russians stole the election

I've said it before and I'll say it again: her running again with the slogan "hindsight is 2020" would be an appallingly tin-eared and moronic idea doomed to failure, so it's pretty much a certainty that's what she'll do.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Raskolnikov38 posted:

it's a political contribution by a foreign agent

and?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

and that's illegal

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

democrats winning elections is a precondition for the mattering because lol if ryan and mcconnell are going to impeach trump, especially when they are complicit in all of it

also a precondition for the mattering is the democrats to stop being spineless because otherwise when they regain power they'll do exactly what they did to bring the last criminal republican president and his batch of criminal underlings to justice: nothing

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Shear Modulus posted:

democrats winning elections is a precondition for the mattering because lol if ryan and mcconnell are going to impeach trump, especially when they are complicit in all of it

True, but like the prisoners' game they also have to have the foresight and faith in each other not to hammer the "betray" button the moment the heat's on them.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Raskolnikov38 posted:

and that's illegal

thats a nice crime you have there. sure would be a shame if someone dropped this pile of pardons on it

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

democrats are gonna use this as a justification to run on "russia bad" and it's going to result in them losing seats in 2018 lol

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Agean90 posted:

thats a nice crime you have there. sure would be a shame if someone dropped this pile of pardons on it

iirc the president is actually prevented from pardoning himself

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

let's say hypothetically a russian agent told them that they had compromised podesta's e-mail account and were going to leak the details to show the democratic party is scummy. who gives a poo poo?

this isn't some shining ace in the hole or the lynchpin that cost hillary the election.

american voters don't care and the democrats are going to continue to lose and remain a rightwing corporate brokebrain party.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Raskolnikov38 posted:

he'll pardon everyone else, the investigation wont touch him unless hes impeached, the Republican house will not impeach him and will instead sit around and say "this is good imo"

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

comedyblissoption posted:

let's say hypothetically a russian agent told them that they had compromised podesta's e-mail account and were going to leak the details to show the democratic party is scummy. who gives a poo poo?

this isn't some shining ace in the hole or the lynchpin that cost hillary the election.

american voters don't care and the democrats are going to continue to lose and remain a rightwing corporate brokebrain party.

There's good evidence the Russian committed a slew of crimes after this email.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Raskolnikov38 posted:

yes he can, the only thing stopping him from doing so is tradition and whether congress would impeach him for overstepping generally-understood norms

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Raskolnikov38 posted:

pence would jump at the chance

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

imagine a situation where the democrats somehow win both houses in 2018, they impeach trump, he pardons himself, and then the scotus rules on whether he's allowed to do that hahahaha

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

got any sevens posted:

chelsea manning has earned my vote

can we get her to run in 2020

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Shear Modulus posted:

yes he can, the only thing stopping him from doing so is tradition and whether congress would impeach him for overstepping generally-understood norms

the constitution forbids pardoning anyone under impeachment, so i guess he could do it since he's never getting impeached

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011

Shear Modulus posted:

And I think we all know how that would go.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Shear Modulus posted:

imagine a situation where the democrats somehow win both houses in 2018, they impeach trump, he pardons himself, and then the scotus rules on whether he's allowed to do that hahahaha

Uhh you absolutely can't pardon yourself out of impeachment.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Shear Modulus posted:

he can pardon himself for the crime but the one thing the president explicitly can't do with pardons is stop an impeachment

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
donald trump is preferable to mike piss in every single conceivable way

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

GalacticAcid posted:

donald trump is preferable to mike piss in every single conceivable way

Yeah but if trump falls theres gonna be a whole lot of pissed off nazis.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
let's get rid of trump, an incompetent retard with no ideology, and replace him with an anti-gay Christian Right diehard who will take us to war in Syria and Iran before you have time to say........covfefe

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

GalacticAcid posted:

let's get rid of trump, an incompetent retard with no ideology, and replace him with an anti-gay Christian Right diehard who will take us to war in Syria and Iran before you have time to say........covfefe

It's okay, we're doing it piss off a bunch of violent reactionaries who own private arsenals and jerk off to the thought killing minorities and everyone to their left every day. It will all work out for the best. :downs:

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

MizPiz posted:

It's okay, we're doing it piss off a bunch of violent reactionaries who own private arsenals and jerk off to the thought killing minorities and everyone to their left every day. It will all work out for the best. :downs:

I mean besides the RoHoWa angle I bet a bunch of deplorables would stay home for elections for a while if Daddy gets hosed.

Zhulik
Nov 14, 2012

The Montreal Star
*d&ds into thread carrying a huge tub of water labeled "CAPITALISM", brain aglow with cosmic light. rolls eyes extremely d&d-ishly* lol @ the useful idiots itt

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Bip Roberts posted:

I mean besides the RoHoWa angle I bet a bunch of deplorables would stay home for elections for a while if Daddy gets hosed.

wrong

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Bip Roberts posted:

Uhh you absolutely can't pardon yourself out of impeachment.

Zoran posted:

he can pardon himself for the crime but the one thing the president explicitly can't do with pardons is stop an impeachment

while you are correct, i imagine that the roberts court could find a way to discover that what the founders really meant was that you can't be impeached for crimes that you've been pardoned for

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Very telling that centrists' strategy to win elections is to get even less people to vote.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

MizPiz posted:

Very telling that centrists' strategy to win elections is to get even less people to vote.

I mean that's half the equation.

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011
Liberals only care about impeaching Trump to satisfy their vanity. If it ever happened they would proceed to roll over for the much more effective Pence to restore order or some poo poo.

This would occur with the heavily armed right wing radicalizing at warp speed in the background.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Last time I checked you want more of your people to vote and less of their people. Unless I'm wrong.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Bip Roberts posted:

Last time I checked you want more of your people to vote and less of their people. Unless I'm wrong.

We're still waiting for how you expect to get "more of your people" to vote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

MizPiz posted:

We're still waiting for how you expect to get "more of your people" to vote.

Uhh, leftist policy?

• Locked thread