Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

My god. There's always more, and it's always worse.

Seriously, reading Trump's tweets from last summer as the time line gets put in place is better than any novel I've ever read. Truly amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

Demon Of The Fall posted:

I saw on one twitter that there is an audio recording of the meeting that the press now has, is this being confirmed anywhere?

Lordy I hope so.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

This is only surprising if you'd previously believed Don Jr. had a detailed understanding of the Act in question and the Republican position on it

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

the boston bomber posted:

Obviously the optics of all this look terrible, but can someone explain to me how this is going to the crushing blow that finally destroys the administration of DJT? Because frankly I am little worried that all this excitement is for nothing. DJT has weathered terrible optics before, and he certainly can do so again.

I mean, I'm no lawyer, but as far as I can see, this meeting did not break any laws. Anyone who understands the relevant laws that could have been broken would definitely do us all a favor by explaining the implications of this meeting. The RWM has been screaming for years that Hillary is criminal. That doesn't make it so. Likewise, this meeting without any context doesn't seem to make a criminal out of DJT Jr.

Don Jr just admitted publicly provided evidence that he sought aid from a foreign government for electoral advantage. That alone is a crime. On top of that, he also shows that not only were the campaign chair (Manafort) and chief advisor to the president (Kushner) in the meeting, they had the entire email chain which showed that they knew that this was an effort to collude with a foreign government.

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

Obviously the optics of all this look terrible, but can someone explain to me how this is going to the crushing blow that finally destroys the administration of DJT? Because frankly I am little worried that all this excitement is for nothing. DJT has weathered terrible optics before, and he certainly can do so again.

I mean, I'm no lawyer, but as far as I can see, this meeting did not break any laws. Anyone who understands the relevant laws that could have been broken would definitely do us all a favor by explaining the implications of this meeting. The RWM has been screaming for years that Hillary is criminal. That doesn't make it so. Likewise, this meeting without any context doesn't seem to make a criminal out of DJT Jr.

Most of the evidence so far has been circumstantial. There has been a TON of ties that most reasonable people could smell that something was obviously up, but not a lot of hard evidence.

The email is hard evidence that something happened, made more real by the earlier denial of the meeting and its existence. It might not be the final nail, but I think a lot of "nothingburger" people might finally have a thing that makes them question the story.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Wouldn't be surprised if related Trump campaign emails flooded the twitters before long.

Thank god this week is almost over.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

quote:

The Obama administration made public a list of 18 individuals affected by the Act in April 2013.[13][14][15]The people included on the list are:

Artyom Kuznetsov, a tax investigator for the Moscow division of the Ministry of Internal Affairs

Pavel Karpov, a senior investigator for the Moscow division of the Ministry of Internal Affairs

Oleg F. Silchenko, a senior investigator for the Ministry of Internal Affairs

Olga Stepanova, head of Moscow Tax Office No. 28

Yelena Stashina, Tverskoy District Court judge who prolonged Magnitsky's detention

Andrey Pechegin, deputy head of the investigation supervision division of the general prosecutor's office

Aleksey Droganov

Yelena Khimina

Dmitriy Komnov

Aleksey Krivoruchko, Tverskoy District Court judge

Oleg Logunov

Sergei G. Podoprigorov, Tverskoy District Court judge

Ivan Pavlovitch Prokopenko

Dmitri M. Tolchinskiy

Svetlana Ukhnalyova

Natalya V. Vinogradova

Kazbek Dukuzov, Chechen acquitted of the murder of Paul Klebnikov

Lecha Bogatyrov, implicated by Austrian authorities as the murderer of Umar Israilov

Holy mother of God. They aren't talking about general sanctions against the whole of the Russian government. Specific people were getting paid off for this

The person who met with Jr. was in the act BY NAME.

nigel thornberry
Jul 29, 2013

empty whippet box posted:

This isn't just optics. The Russians hacked the DNC and got damaging information; this was illegal. Meeting with members of a hostile foreign government to discuss a quid pro quo exchange of damaging information for the easing of sanctions is 100% absolutely definitely illegal, even if the information they had hadn't been gained illegally, which it was.

Right, but this quid pro quo is never mentioned in the emails. Obviously there is a statement here that damaging info is available from the Russian Government, but that in itself doesn't seem to be illegal. I guess what I am saying is, we have the quid, but where is the pro quo?

Really, at the end of the day, it is going to take a lawyer to explain how these emails are proof of any illegal behavior. Is anyone here aware of any statements by people with legal training that this email chain is evidence of criminal activity?

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Should have got some Russian SA poster to spoof some bureaucrat's email address and offer info to Trump back in 2016. Could have got some blackmail money out of it, at least. Or I guess if you're spoofing an email anyone could do it, though you'd want the payout to go to a Russian place.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

he uh he just straight up tweeted out ironclad evidence of collusion. what the gently caress is going on.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

pangstrom posted:

Should have got some Russian SA poster to spoof an email address and offer info to Trump back in 2016. Could have got some blackmail money out of it, at least. Or I guess if you're spoofing an email anyone could do it, though you'd want the payout to go to a Russian place.

Maybe we could finally get that forums upgrade.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Holy mother of God. They aren't talking about general sanctions against the whole of the Russian government. Specific people were getting paid off for this

The person who met with Jr. was in the act BY NAME.

Different Natalia, the one jr met with was Veselnitskaya

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
nevermind, misread

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

farraday posted:

Wouldn't be surprised if related Trump campaign emails flooded the twitters before long.

Thank god this week is almost over.

Dude, it's only Tuesday.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Groovelord Neato posted:

he uh he just straight up tweeted out ironclad evidence of collusion. what the gently caress is going on.

You've been in a coma since Nov 9 2016, this is the only way we've been able to reach you

YOU HAVE TO WAKE UP

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Trump Thread II: The Son Also Lies-es

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Groovelord Neato posted:

Our government is corrupt and illegitimate from the top down, that's what the gently caress is going on.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Groovelord Neato posted:

It's like when my 3 year old spills juice on the floor and then gets the entire roll of paper towel and plops it down in the puddle. He thinks he's helping.

nigel thornberry
Jul 29, 2013

The Glumslinger posted:

Don Jr just admitted publicly provided evidence that he sought aid from a foreign government for electoral advantage. That alone is a crime. On top of that, he also shows that not only were the campaign chair (Manafort) and chief advisor to the president (Kushner) in the meeting, they had the entire email chain which showed that they knew that this was an effort to collude with a foreign government.

Is it, though? He wanted information for an electoral advantage, sure. But is that really a a quid pro quo? I thought a quid pro quo would require some sort of exchange.

What crime has been committed? What criminal statute is DJT JR. in violation of? None of the articles I have read state as much.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

pangstrom posted:

Should have got some Russian SA poster to spoof some bureaucrat's email address and offer info to Trump back in 2016. Could have got some blackmail money out of it, at least. Or I guess if you're spoofing an email anyone could do it, though you'd want the payout to go to a Russian place.

SA is a CIA/Soro front so that actually happened.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Trump 2: Son of Trump

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

nerdz posted:

I'm having trouble figuring out how or why anyone would have a problem with her figure (unless they were extremely envious women)

Evangelical conservatives were mad that a Republican presidential candidate had a daughter who had large breasts and therefore was not sufficiently "modest" and possibly tempting men by not wearing only loose, baggy clothing.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

The e-mail + the meeting proves Manafort, Kushner, and DJT Jr have been lying through their teeth for months. It proves they knew about foreign government attempts to help them. It proves they knew about foreign government cyber attacks on US citizens. It proves they held an in-person meeting to try to obtain illegally obtained information to help their campaign from a foreign government representative. It proves the campaign made no attempt to contact the FBI or any law enforcement agency in response to these activities.

Those are all crimes, man.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/davidwchen/status/884839534520934401

:allears:

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Everyone else sees the Naked Gun reference, right?

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Right, but this quid pro quo is never mentioned in the emails. Obviously there is a statement here that damaging info is available from the Russian Government, but that in itself doesn't seem to be illegal. I guess what I am saying is, we have the quid, but where is the pro quo?

Trump campaign guts GOP’s anti-Russia stance on Ukraine
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...m=.75d4fcf3c3f2

e: Trump seemed prepared to lift Russia sanctions 'in exchange for absolutely nothing'
http://www.businessinsider.com/trump-wanted-to-lift-russia-sanctions-days-after-taking-office-2017-6

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Oh, this really is Stupid Watergate, isn't it?

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxxajLWwzqY

e: also

https://twitter.com/KrangTNelson/status/884819638135160833

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

WeAreTheRomans posted:

You've been in a coma since Nov 9 2016, this is the only way we've been able to reach you

YOU HAVE TO WAKE UP

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

If political spin were palpable resource, this term could power an entire city.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

Different Natalia, the one jr met with was Veselnitskaya

My mistake, I mixed up the last names. She was still heavily involved in pushing back against the act, but as a lawyer for state run businesses.

Hell on earth, this is what they meant about discussion adoption, since Russia blocked americans from adopting in retaliation.

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon
Jun 22, 2017

by Smythe

Is he the fall guy now?

Mcconell just delayed start of august recess...significant?

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
Here's a good timeline of events:
https://twitter.com/braddjaffy/status/884839423250137090

Of note: On June 7, 4 days after Goldstone asked about setting up the meeting, Trump clinches the nomination, and says this in his victory speech:

quote:

I am going to give a major speech on probably Monday of next week [June 13th] and we’re going to be discussing all of the things that have taken place with the Clintons. I think you’re going to find it very informative and very, very interesting.

Trump knew.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Is it, though? He wanted information for an electoral advantage, sure. But is that really a a quid pro quo? I thought a quid pro quo would require some sort of exchange.

What crime has been committed? What criminal statute is DJT JR. in violation of? None of the articles I have read state as much.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/11/110.20

quote:

§ 110.20 Prohibition on contributions, donations, expenditures, independent expenditures, and disbursements by foreign nationals (52 U.S.C. 30121, 36 U.S.C. 510).

(a)Definitions. For purposes of this section, the following definitions apply:

(1)Disbursement has the same meaning as in 11 CFR 300.2(d).

(2)Donation has the same meaning as in 11 CFR 300.2(e).

(3)Foreign national means -

(i) A foreign principal, as defined in 22 U.S.C. 611(b); or

(ii) An individual who is not a citizen of the United States and who is not lawfully admitted for permanent residence, as defined in 8 U.S.C. 1101(a)(20); however,

(iii)Foreign national shall not include any individual who is a citizen of the United States, or who is a national of the United States as defined in 8 U.S.C. 1101(a)(22).

(4)Knowingly means that a person must:

(i) Have actual knowledge that the source of the funds solicited, accepted or received is a foreign national;

(ii) Be aware of facts that would lead a reasonable person to conclude that there is a substantial probability that the source of the funds solicited, accepted or received is a foreign national; or

(iii) Be aware of facts that would lead a reasonable person to inquire whether the source of the funds solicited, accepted or received is a foreign national, but the person failed to conduct a reasonable inquiry.

(5) For purposes of paragraph (a)(4) of this section, pertinent facts include, but are not limited to:

(i) The contributor or donor uses a foreign passport or passport number for identification purposes;

(ii) The contributor or donor provides a foreign address;

(iii) The contributor or donor makes a contribution or donation by means of a check or other written instrument drawn on a foreign bank or by a wire transfer from a foreign bank; or

(iv) The contributor or donor resides abroad.

(6)Solicit has the same meaning as in 11 CFR 300.2(m).

(7)Safe Harbor. For purposes of paragraph (a)(4)(iii) of this section, a person shall be deemed to have conducted a reasonable inquiry if he or she seeks and obtains copies of current and valid U.S. passport papers for U.S. citizens who are contributors or donors described in paragraphs (a)(5)(i) through (iv) of this section. No person may rely on this safe harbor if he or she has actual knowledge that the source of the funds solicited, accepted, or received is a foreign national.

(b)Contributions and donations by foreign nationals in connection with elections. A foreign national shall not, directly or indirectly, make a contribution or a donation of money or other thing of value, or expressly or impliedly promise to make a contribution or a donation, in connection with any Federal, State, or local election.

(c)Contributions and donations by foreign nationals to political committees and organizations of political parties. A foreign national shall not, directly or indirectly, make a contribution or donation to:

(1) A political committee of a political party, including a national party committee, a national congressional campaign committee, or a State, district, or local party committee, including a non-Federal account of a State, district, or local party committee, or

(2) An organization of a political party whether or not the organization is a political committee under 11 CFR 100.5.

(d)Contributions and donations by foreign nationals for office buildings. A foreign national shall not, directly or indirectly, make a contribution or donation to a committee of a political party for the purchase or construction of an office building. See11 CFR 300.10 and 300.35.

(e)Disbursements by foreign nationals for electioneering communications. A foreign national shall not, directly or indirectly, make any disbursement for an electioneering communication as defined in 11 CFR 100.29.

(f)Expenditures, independent expenditures, or disbursements by foreign nationals in connection with elections. A foreign national shall not, directly or indirectly, make any expenditure, independent expenditure, or disbursement in connection with any Federal, State, or local election.

(g)Solicitation, acceptance, or receipt of contributions and donations from foreign nationals. No person shall knowingly solicit, accept, or receive from a foreign national any contribution or donation prohibited by paragraphs (b) through (d) of this section.

(h)Providing substantial assistance.

(1) No person shall knowingly provide substantial assistance in the solicitation, making, acceptance, or receipt of a contribution or donation prohibited by paragraphs (b) through (d), and (g) of this section.

(2) No person shall knowingly provide substantial assistance in the making of an expenditure, independent expenditure, or disbursement prohibited by paragraphs (e) and (f) of this section.

(i)Participation by foreign nationals in decisions involving election-related activities. A foreign national shall not direct, dictate, control, or directly or indirectly participate in the decision-making process of any person, such as a corporation, labor organization, political committee, or political organization with regard to such person's Federal or non-Federal election-related activities, such as decisions concerning the making of contributions, donations, expenditures, or disbursements in connection with elections for any Federal, State, or local office or decisions concerning the administration of a political committee.

(j)Donations by foreign nationals to inaugural committees. A foreign national shall not, directly or indirectly, make a donation to an inaugural committee, as defined in 11 CFR 104.21(a)(1). No person shall knowingly accept from a foreign national any donation to an inaugural committee.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0La3aBSjvGY

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Really, at the end of the day, it is going to take a lawyer to explain how these emails are proof of any illegal behavior. Is anyone here aware of any statements by people with legal training that this email chain is evidence of criminal activity?

From here.

Goldstone: "The crown prosecutor of Russia... offered to provide the Trump campaign with some official documents and information that would incriminate Hillary. ... This is obviously very high level and sensitive information but is part of Russia and its government's support for Mr. Trump - helped along by Aras and Emin."
Donnie Jr: "If it's what you say I love it especially later in the summer."

That is pretty straightforwardly criminal. That is "hello would you like to commit the crime" "hell yes I would" levels of straightforward.

nigel thornberry
Jul 29, 2013

Chilichimp posted:

The e-mail + the meeting proves Manafort, Kushner, and DJT Jr have been lying through their teeth for months. It proves they knew about foreign government attempts to help them. It proves they knew about foreign government cyber attacks on US citizens. It proves they held an in-person meeting to try to obtain illegally obtained information to help their campaign from a foreign government representative. It proves the campaign made no attempt to contact the FBI or any law enforcement agency in response to these activities.

Those are all crimes, man.

Are they? Can you cite a source that says as much?

I mean, its not that I think this is all BS. I just don't want us getting ahead of ourselves here.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Inferior Third Season posted:

The EPA is being shredded to pieces by Pruitt as we speak. Not even taking into account the long-term damage this will have by not taking immediate action on global warming in addition to us turning our backs on the Paris Accord, the EPA is also in charge of things like ensuring that drinking water isn't literally poison and that corporations don't dump toxic chemicals into the ground and/or air, especially in poor communities.

And it's not only the EPA. Trump is gutting the budgets for the NIH and the FDA. These are the departments in charge of small things like drug and food safety.

Just because it takes a little longer than a bullet or bomb doesn't mean that the Trump administration isn't killing people directly right now.
yeah but I mean people haven't been directly effected by the epa being gutted yet

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqNigBNUWOs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Demon Of The Fall posted:

I saw on one twitter that there is an audio recording of the meeting that the press now has, is this being confirmed anywhere?

Was this Louise Mensch or TrueFactsStated?

I'd love it to be true but don't believe those guys.

• Locked thread