Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

I can't believe that paying $450 for Rift+Touch 2 weeks ago now looks like a lovely deal and I overpaid by 50%. :f5: in the hopes I can buy the $300 bundle from Amazon and return my current one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

PerrineClostermann posted:

This sounds interesting

Look up what people are doing with Apple's ARKit beta, it's pretty amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIPfpGCxONQ

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Parker Lewis posted:

I can't believe that paying $450 for Rift+Touch 2 weeks ago now looks like a lovely deal and I overpaid by 50%. :f5: in the hopes I can buy the $300 bundle from Amazon and return my current one.

I honestly wish that was possible. I paid for just the headset a few weeks ago lol.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Alpha Phoenix posted:

http://www.pcgamer.com/oculus-explains-why-vr-exclusives-are-the-right-way-of-doing-things/

In which Oculus literally says "we're just like PSVR and people don't get mad at them' unironically.

See, out of touch executive that loves words like "disruption'. Read it yourself!
That said the current price is way good to 'overcome objections' and I suggest anyway that is curious to jump on board. Just think a bit before you buy stuff through Oculus Home and their insistence on zero returns on software.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

haveblue posted:

Hot drat, that's pretty cool.

TheKnife
Jan 24, 2009

KakerMix posted:

See, out of touch executive that loves words like "disruption'. Read it yourself!
That said the current price is way good to 'overcome objections' and I suggest anyway that is curious to jump on board. Just think a bit before you buy stuff through Oculus Home and their insistence on zero returns on software.

I haven't tried myself, but their website claims you can refund software for any reason within 14 days and <2 hours of playtime

Edit: Nevermind I missed the "UK only and for a limited time" part

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Parker Lewis posted:

Just for the record for those in the USA the Vive is also a Prime Day deal, $100 off
https://www.amazon.com/HTC-VIVE-Virtual-Reality-System/dp/B00VF5NT4I

But $700 is still more than $400/$300

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Boxman posted:

That Prime deal is no longer displaying a price at all. They're still carrying the bundle itself, and it's not like Amazon can run out of gift cards. Hope it comes back so I can jump on it. :ohdear:

Edit: I literally just see a dollar sign, haha.

They probably want to limit how many hundred dollar gift cards they are giving out.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
drat, I want that for a second headset... I got like $1000 in Amazon credit balance so the gift cards would just go right back into that.

Edit: And what do you know, when you sell a Rift at the price Luckey originally promised, people are clawing each other's eye out to get them.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

haveblue posted:

Holy poo poo. That's without any markers or external sensors?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Holy poo poo. That's without any markers or external sensors?

It is very impressive but not perfect, watch the spots on the ground near the left bottom corner of the portal, when he comes back out and turns around they are gone because the portal has crept forwards.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

People getting run over while wandering around in VR/AR headsets is going to be the hot news story trend in a few years.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Zero VGS posted:

It is very impressive but not perfect, watch the spots on the ground near the left bottom corner of the portal, when he comes back out and turns around they are gone because the portal has crept forwards.

Still damned impressive. Makes me wonder what Google has done with Tango.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Enos Cabell posted:

People getting robbed while wandering around in VR/AR headsets is going to be the hot news story trend in a few years.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
thanks who whoever it was that reminded me about extended warranties on visa purchases, you just saved me a ton of hassle on replacing my vive controller and or selling my vive/buying an oculus

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The Walrus posted:

thanks who whoever it was that reminded me about extended warranties on visa purchases, you just saved me a ton of hassle on replacing my vive controller and or selling my vive/buying an oculus

How do those things even work, anyway?

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am.
Ramrod XTreme

Tom Guycot posted:

Microsoft is first out the gate with 2 of the most important features for consumers:
1) It's launching at $400 with controllers (hmmm sort of like the oculus sale price...)
2) you don't have to mount dork poo poo on your walls to walk around and explore vr.

Every tracking method that isn't inside out is a dead end for the public. You couldn't even get people to install surround sound systems for the last 30 years because people are too lazy to mount speakers. People hate that stuff, and mounting nerd boxes? Right out. If oculus gen 2 has a camera at all, its only job is going to be doing full body skeletal tracking, and maybe reinforcing the inside out positioning (if thats even needed).

Do we even know how MS intends to do motion controllers with inside-out tracking? I thought the general assumption was that it would still require external sensors, unless you wanted to constantly have your hands in your FoV.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Good lord, Oculus/Amazon is blowing the doors off with that $100 gift card. More people getting VR is perfectly welcome regardless of what headset. I don't know why people are getting console warrior-y about it. More people == more return for making games == more/better games.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
How are the Vive wands tracked?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

How are the Vive wands tracked?

They have built-in sensors that can see the lighthouses, then transmit the info to the PC for the heavy lifting.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Warbird posted:

Good lord, Oculus/Amazon is blowing the doors off with that $100 gift card. More people getting VR is perfectly welcome regardless of what headset. I don't know why people are getting console warrior-y about it. More people == more return for making games == more/better games.

Yeah, it's pretty awesome news for VR. I personally know 4 people that already pulled the trigger since yesterday, and one more guy is like 90% there.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Warbird posted:

(2 major players, each with their own relative strengths) + (high price tag, need to justify purchase and feel like you bet the right horse) + (facebook $ vs. steam benevolence) = console war

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

Do we even know how MS intends to do motion controllers with inside-out tracking? I thought the general assumption was that it would still require external sensors, unless you wanted to constantly have your hands in your FoV.

I don't know how MS are doing it, but the option is always there for the motion controllers to do their own inside-out tracking too.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

talking about why you like one HMD over the other = console warrior

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

I'm genuinely curious about HTC's cost to manufacture a single Vive. We know they're selling them for a profit, and that business model makes sense as they're not able to offset the hardware with software (game) sales. But I wonder how high their profit margin is - if it's too high they're actually holding back VR market growth...

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Tweak posted:

talking about why you like one HMD over the other = console warrior

I'd say it's more getting mad that someone conceivably likes a headset that isn't the one that you have.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

The headset tracks the controllers, meaning you have a limited range of motion. It'll be fine for what windows VR is intended to be, tier2 VR which is a more casual experience vs PC GAMING BEST GAMING type of experience.

saqs list of consumer VR tiers

Tier1 - The best VR experience currently available. Low persistence, high resolution displays with a high FOV, lots of sensors for roomscale, millimeter perfect positional/rotational motion tracking of the HMD and motion controllers. Expansive game library with quality content through apps like Oculus Home and SteamVR.
Out now:
Oculus Rift + Touch
HTC Vive
Coming soon:
LG "Vive+?" (the higher resolution might be somewhat negated by the larger screen lowering the PPI) - https://www.theverge.com/2017/3/2/14769624/lg-valve-vr-headset-development-kit-hands-on-gdc-2017

Tier2 - A pretty good VR experience, good enough for good quality non-gaming VR interactions and not-too-bad VR games. Limitations in tracking capabilities, or lack of good motion controllers prevent matching the same roomscale capabilities of tier1
Out now:
PSVR (limited sensors and poor motion controllers)
FOVE (limited sensors and no controllers, though it can work with SteamVR, sort of, only 70hz refresh rate)
Coming Soon:
Windows VR (probably. having your headset track your controllers seems like it will significantly lower your interaction quality, there have been few details regarding the actual screen resolution/quality which casts some serious doubts on what is beign delivered)

Tier 2.5? Maybe? I don't know?
Hololens + Windows Holographic - Kind of a different thing but Minecraft Holographic looks sick

Tier3 - Mobile VR is a casual experience, though free of any wires and have an extremely easy setup process
Good Mobile VR (Samsung Gear VR 2, Google Daydream, etc)

Tier4 - Knockoff garbage, avoid at all costs
PiMax, cheap mobile VR, etc

Comedy Tier5 - Transcendent
Virtual Boy

rage-saq fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jul 11, 2017

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Tier 5 - transcendant

Virtual Boy

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Cojawfee posted:

I'd say it's more getting mad that someone conceivably likes a headset that isn't the one that you have.

it's thrown around far too liberally to be just, "lol u mad"

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
I played some Echo Arena last night, that poo poo is something else. I didn't think there was going to be a VR game this generation that was going to nail high speed free movement without any motion sickness. That game is sick! I can't wait to play it tonight and possibly re-break my still healing broken toe.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Lemming posted:

Tier 5 - transcendant

Virtual Boy

How could I have missed it? Added!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Tier 6: Dactyl Nightmare

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

rage-saq posted:

I played some Echo Arena last night, that poo poo is something else. I didn't think there was going to be a VR game this generation that was going to nail high speed free movement without any motion sickness. That game is sick! I can't wait to play it tonight and possibly re-break my still healing broken toe.

If you're just "saq" in game I think I saw you in one of the lobbies.

Also yeah EA is by far the best VR game right now, the movement is just so perfect. Zero nausea, works exactly how you'd wish it would.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Lemming posted:

Also yeah EA is by far the best VR game right now, the movement is just so perfect. Zero nausea, works exactly how you'd wish it would.

Well, its not Onward (different kind of game I know), but its almost as good. Its the only other multiplayer game remotely on the same tier. They really need to add being able to team up and stuff, I kept getting separated from Nalin last night, we wanted to buddy up and punch fools.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Lemming posted:

He was saq and I was Nalin. Who are you in-game?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I'm Lemming

And I think part of the reason that they extended the beta is that they didn't get to do any testing of the party stuff, so I'm sure that's coming soon

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

rage-saq posted:

They really need to add being able to team up and stuff, I kept getting separated from Nalin last night, we wanted to buddy up and punch fools.

It was okay that they put us on separate teams constantly because I got to punch you every game.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

D1E posted:

I'm genuinely curious about HTC's cost to manufacture a single Vive. We know they're selling them for a profit, and that business model makes sense as they're not able to offset the hardware with software (game) sales. But I wonder how high their profit margin is - if it's too high they're actually holding back VR market growth...

As the saying goes, everything is worth what its purchaser will pay for. HTC doesn't really have any reason to lower the Vive price as long as it's selling well.

However, I don't think that means they're holding back market growth; most likely the reason Oculus is having such aggressive sales is because they want to grab market share from the Vive (remember when the Touch came out at the same price as the Vive and then the bundle got a $200 price cut 3 months later?). If the Vive didn't exist Oculus would have much less reason to do that. And if the Rift pricedrop greatly cuts into Vive sales (and I suspect it will), HTC will probably reduce their price as well.

As someone mentioned, we're getting a console war for VR. Though at least Revive and public outcry has kept it from becoming a war of exclusives and instead turned it into a war of best product for the lowest price.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
At this point it's less of a war and more of a... skirmish? To be honest, the success of one is good for the other. The market is so small at this point that every sale is a positive step for everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.

rage-saq posted:

LG "Vive+?" (the higher resolution might be somewhat negated by the larger screen lowering the PPI) - https://www.theverge.com/2017/3/2/14769624/lg-valve-vr-headset-development-kit-hands-on-gdc-2017

Screen size and PPI don't mean anything once you put a lens system between the screen and your eyes. The FOV and screen res are the only thing that tell you how big each pixel will look, assuming the whole screen is visible.