Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Onedrive for business. We are killing off all personal file shares on the network, all your poo poo has to be in onedrive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

devmd01 posted:

Onedrive for business. We are killing off all personal file shares on the network, all your poo poo has to be in onedrive
That works for me.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

anthonypants posted:

What replaced home folders?

Folder Redirection for user files, roaming profiles for settings.

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

anthonypants posted:

What replaced home folders?

OneDrive for our corporate/remote users. Folder Redirection and UE-V for our call center employees. Thank god they integrated UE-V into Windows 10 Enterprise.

pofcorn
May 30, 2011

devmd01 posted:

What about backups?

orange sky
May 7, 2007

pofcorn posted:

What about backups?

hehehe

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

pofcorn posted:

What about backups?

For 3 years now I've been setting up Onedrive for Business for each user and just dragging their Desktop/Documents/Downloads/Pictures etc folders in there for new PCs, which redirects them.

Everyone here laughed at me but it worked incredibly well. Every file is automatically backed up that way, and can be accessed online when you're away from your work PC (and secured with 2FA). We had one guy get Cryptolockered and simply used the version history in Sharepoint to restore all his files in a few minutes. We haven't lost a single file yet and unless all of Microsoft's data centers and our laptops are all nuked at the same time we should be fine.

The only criticism I had was the original Onedrive4Biz sync client was a loving mess that MS took an embarrassingly long time to fix (they basically fixed it by upgrading the built-in Win 8/10 consumer OneDrive to handle 4Biz). But that's fixed and everything's great now.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jul 7, 2017

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Lol if you store all your poo poo in the cloud just lol

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

CLAM DOWN posted:

Here's the amazing thing,: it's being stored on the individual's laptop AND the clouds at the same time!

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

Lol if you store all your poo poo in a data center managed by a top tier technology company just lol

Because that is what you sound like.

edit:

Zero VGS posted:

For 3 years now I've been setting up Onedrive for Business for each user and just dragging their Desktop/Documents/Downloads/Pictures etc folders in there for new PCs, which redirects them.

Everyone here laughed at me but it worked incredibly well. Every file is automatically backed up that way, and can be accessed online when you're away from your work PC (and secured with 2FA). We had one guy get Cryptolockered and simply used the version history in Sharepoint to restore all his files in a few minutes. We haven't lost a single file yet and unless all of Microsoft's data centers and our laptops are all nuked at the same time we should be fine.

The only criticism I had was the original Onedrive4Biz sync client was a loving mess that MS took an embarrassingly long time to fix (they basically fixed it by upgrading the built-in Win 8/10 consumer OneDrive to handle 4Biz). But that's fixed and everything's great now.

The nextgen sync client has definitely improved a lot over the last 6 months, but they are only just now rolling out support for long260-400 file paths and for special characters% and #

OneDrive for business is a sharepoint document library on the back end, but the NGSC was missing folder syncing until 2-3 months ago so if you wanted to use that feature you ended up running 2 different copies of OneDrive. 3 if you used one drive personal.

The Fool fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jul 7, 2017

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

CLAM DOWN posted:

Lol if you use on-prem Exchange Server just lol

orange sky
May 7, 2007

anthonypants posted:

Lol if you use on-prem Exchange Server just lol

Office 365 is such a loving godsend for IT everywhere

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

It sounds nice! We cannot use it, but I hope you all enjoy life in ~the cloud~

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

CLAM DOWN posted:

It sounds nice! We cannot use it, but I hope you all enjoy life in ~the cloud~
Thank you, it is nice.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

orange sky posted:

Office 365 is such a loving godsend for IT everywhere

I came into this job 3 months ago, they handed me exchange admin since nobody had touched it since they migrated everyone to O365. You're drat right I was happy to destroy 6 exchange 2010 servers and 2 spam vm appliances I would no longer need to maintain.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

There's still a bit of a gap in terms of backups in :yaycloud: - if somebody fucks their mailbox up you can't roll the whole thing back to a daily snapshot, and recovering files individually from versions is tedious.

These are all solved problems if you're running on-prem so hopefully it's just a matter of having to expose it to the service admins.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

If they gently caress up their mailbox I'll go "welp, old emails are in the archiver. Go fetch." and roll a new mailbox for them.

If I gently caress up a mailbox...well thats impossible unless I gently caress up the store pretty hard. Even on 2010.

How you'd gently caress up a cloud mailbox is beyond me though.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I mean if somebody drags a load of emails from one folder and drops them into another, there's no easy way to roll that back if you're using Exchange Online without any other service linked to it.

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved
Is there a way to make a Windows install ISO that already has the latest updates baked in? Microsoft seems to only publish new images every 6 months, which means after installation there's a long patching process. I am wondering if I can just bake them into the ISO used for the install.

Googling reveals various different options of various different levels of hackiness. The most straightforward one appears to me this here: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/configmgrdogs/2012/02/14/applying-windows-updates-to-a-base-wim-using-dism-and-powershell/

However, it requires me to provide some "C:\Updates" directory with the stuff I want to install. Well, I want to install everything. All I know about getting Windows Updates is to press the button to get Windows Updates - how do I actually get it the files to merge into the image?

I am interested in creating fully up to date images of Windows Server 2016, specifically. I would also like this process to also be automated (no "Go to this website and hand pick your updates" - I want it to include *all* updates always).

I also do not know what a WIM file is but I think I have run into these before and just not enough to remember. Anyway, what I right now have is an ISO and an answer file. I would like to arrive at a fully patched ISO and answer file combination.

EssOEss fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Jul 11, 2017

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
Are there any customizations besides Windows updates that you want to include in this image? You could setup MDT and a Server 2016 virtual machine, then update and recapture the image as needed.
Otherwise maybe you could make a powershell script that imports the latest rollup updates using DISM.

E: Sorry, missed the bit about wanting an ISO at the end. I don't know if there's a practical way to do that. IMO if you don't already have an imaging solution in place then it's worth setting up MDT.

Squatch Ambassador fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jul 11, 2017

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Hungry Computer posted:

Are there any customizations besides Windows updates that you want to include in this image? You could setup MDT and a Server 2016 virtual machine, then update and recapture the image as needed.
Otherwise maybe you could make a powershell script that imports the latest rollup updates using DISM.

E: Sorry, missed the bit about wanting an ISO at the end. I don't know if there's a practical way to do that. IMO if you don't already have an imaging solution in place then it's worth setting up MDT.
MDT can create ISOs.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I've used nlite in the past to make custom desktop images, it says it supports Server 2016.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

anthonypants posted:

MDT can create ISOs.

I mean it technically can but it must always access a data sotre afterwards, right?

Can you create standalone media in MDT?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

orange sky posted:

I mean it technically can but it must always access a data sotre afterwards, right?

Can you create standalone media in MDT?
You can create standalone media in MDT as a bootable ISO. The resulting WIM might be >4GB and you'll need to format a bootable USB drive as NTFS using Rufus or similar, but it works.

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved
To explain a bit about the purpose - these images feed a second-stage automated image build process (using Packer). The content of the later stages changes often (even daily), as it includes custom developed software in the images. Right now the entire image build process has to start all the way from a clean Windows install, updating Windows and then deploying our custom software before ending with a sysprep to finalize the image.

As Windows only gets patches once a month, I would like to cut out the Windows patching step for the regular daily image builds that we do. The later Packer-driven part of the process requires an ISO to start with, hence why I am hoping to be able to create an ISO that installs a fully updated Windows.

In theory, I suppose starting from an ISO might just be a lack of imagination on part of the Packer authors - after all, if whatever startup process ends up with a working Windows, it is not likely that anything outside the build VM can tell the difference. What matters to me is that the whole stuff be automated (e.g. I have a PowerShell script that starts with a clean Windows ISO and ends up with whatever is needed to do an unattended install of a patched Windows, whether it be an ISO or something else). I will check out MDT tomorrow and see if I can bend it to this purpose - thanks for the hint! I have not used it before so if you have more tips to using it in this scenario, they would be most welcome!

EssOEss fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jul 11, 2017

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

EssOEss posted:

To explain a bit about the purpose - these images feed a second-stage automated image build process (using Packer). The content of the later stages changes often (even daily), as it includes custom developed software in the images. Right now the entire image build process has to start all the way from a clean Windows install, updating Windows and then deploying our custom software before ending with a sysprep to finalize the image.

As Windows only gets patches once a month, I would like to cut out the Windows patching step for the regular daily image builds that we do. The later Packer-driven part of the process requires an ISO to start with, hence why I am hoping to be able to create an ISO that installs a fully updated Windows.

In theory, I suppose starting from an ISO might just be a lack of imagination on part of the Packer authors - after all, if whatever startup process ends up with a working Windows, it is not likely that anything outside the build VM can tell the difference. What matters to me is that the whole stuff be automated (e.g. I have a PowerShell script that starts with a clean Windows ISO and ends up with whatever is needed to do an unattended install of a patched Windows, whether it be an ISO or something else). I will check out MDT tomorrow and see if I can bend it to this purpose - thanks for the hint! I have not used it before so if you have more tips to using it in this scenario, they would be most welcome!

I can honestly say that there are times when pre-loading a patch in an ISO has caused issues where post installing them as part of a process didn't. If you are having issues with overall installation time, its probably worth to do what you are doing. You will run into the issue of new patches coming out every month and you are trading some of the time you are saving by updating them. Just depends on the volume of your installations.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Can your Packer setup be used to do everything you want? It sounds like what you're asking for is the same thing you have it do daily, just without installing the custom application at the end.

Otherwise search around for Image Factory because that's what a lot of the MVPs called their image creation solutions.

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved
Yes, I am right now doing everything with Packer but I would like to cut down the time between "developer checks in code" and "image with code comes out". Even with a fairly recent Windows ISO (April or May), it takes an hour to install all the updates, most of which is the CPU just spinning on one core for whatever reason, without any meaningful I/O activity. If I can cut that part out, I can enable the guys using these images to deploy their software faster, which is desirable (assuming I can do it with reasonable effort and reliability).

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I mean why don't you use Packer to install updates onto your Windows image once a month then use that image to deploy your application on.

It sounds like Packer does everything you need it to do, you just need to put in a new build sequence or whatever.

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved
Unfortunately, with Hyper-V images Packer needs to start from a clean disk and ISO. I know, it makes no sense - why not start from an already prepared base image. But it doesn't.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Does Windows 10 have any provision for performing a disk cleanup of previous releases on a schedule, or should I be looking for a way to get Disk Cleanup to run periodically before the monthly cumulative updates and large feature updates start to consume the entire disk they are installed onto?

Or does it remove the ability to roll back to the last release each time a cumulative update is applied, and so takes care of this issue itself?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I don't know about the mechanism behind it but I do know that upgrades from Win 7/8 to 10 kept behind the old OS files for 30 days and then removed them. Maybe looking at what handles that process could help you?

I'm not sure about regular monthly updates or the anniversary updates. Sorry, read your post while I wasn't quite awake.

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Jul 12, 2017

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Related to the thread title: I have some errors/warnings in event viewer that point to this as resolution:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc734096(v=ws.10).aspx

I want to follow steps in that article to remove references to old SBS. Can I do this during biz hours?

Dans Macabre fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jul 12, 2017

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Internet Explorer posted:

I don't know about the mechanism behind it but I do know that upgrades from Win 7/8 to 10 kept behind the old OS files for 30 days and then removed them. Maybe looking at what handles that process could help you?

I'm not sure about regular monthly updates or the anniversary updates. Sorry, read your post while I wasn't quite awake.

Anniversary updates follow the same schedule.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

EssOEss posted:

Unfortunately, with Hyper-V images Packer needs to start from a clean disk and ISO. I know, it makes no sense - why not start from an already prepared base image. But it doesn't.

So what kind of image does it generate, a WIM file? I think you're under/over thinking this, Packer can probably do what you want it to do.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

Can I do this during biz hours?

There's only one way to find out :unsmigghh:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

FISHMANPET posted:

So what kind of image does it generate, a WIM file? I think you're under/over thinking this, Packer can probably do what you want it to do.
Windows ISOs even use a WIM image for installations :ssh:

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

anthonypants posted:

Windows ISOs even use a WIM image for installations :ssh:

That's why I asked, it's easy to turn a WIM into an ISO.

I think Packer can do 95% of what you need it to do, and the other parts can surely be scripted as well. Don't spin up a whole new tool just for this.

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved

FISHMANPET posted:

Packer essentially takes an ISO and gives you a VHD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Run a Packer job to just install updates.
https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/Convert-VHDx-to-WIM-files-d160be4a
Convert the WIM into an ISO (various ways to do that).

Like, you're way overthinking this if you think you need a new tool.