Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toilet Shoes
Aug 22, 2016

by Lowtax

new phone who dis posted:

But in this case there was no exchange of anything. There was no valuable info. Nothing changed hands. Someone lied about something and was dismissed.

Do you think bait just grows on trees or do you think it gets placed?

As for what will come of this. Hell if I know. Leave it to Mueller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
In any case, of course something changed hands. The Russians fed the Trump campaign stolen info.

Willias
Sep 3, 2008

It's caused the throwing out of many cases. Ultimately, thie thing which you are charged to have gained and possess illegally has to actually be the thing they are charging you for. How can you be guilty of receiving a thing of value from a foreign government if the person who gave it to you wasn't from a foreign government and nothing of value changed hands?

They're not busting you for posession in this case, they're busting you for trying to buy drugs.

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

frakeaing HAMSTER DANCE posted:

:wrong:

https://criminal-law.freeadvice.com/criminal-law/violent_crimes/solicitation-of-prostitution.htm

Solicitation of prostitution does not require a completed act of sexual conduct. The mere agreement or offer to complete a sexual act in exchange for a fee (i.e. money) is enough to support a solicitation charge.

Yes, prostitution law is the same as treason. Good one, genius.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

In any case, of course something changed hands. The Russians fed the Trump campaign stolen info.

Except they didn't. This guy and the woman used the name of a fake Russian agency to get into the place and plead their case on something completely unrelated.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

COMRADES posted:

Attempted unlawful possession of a controlled substance or solicitation to unlawfully possess a controlled substance is a crime though. Granted if you back out it carries less criminal liability but it is still illegal.

Seems like just the act of trying to buy cocaine is illegal regardless of whether or not you actually get any no?

e: Not saying this applies to Trump Jr just arguing about cocaine.

yes, but even if you don't actually even try to buy cocaine, if you discuss WAYS to buy cocaine and formulate a plan to buy cocaine with other people, but you don't actually TRY to buy cocaine, it's a crime. Conspiracy is a crime.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

Who said treason, stupid?

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

The law explicitly includes solicitation. it's in the text. it's right there.

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

cda posted:

If you're on the jury, that will matter. But since it doesn't matter what you're convinced of, maybe you could just be quiet.

Haha, you can't even articulate your point, maybe you should go post somewhere more your speed.

World War Mammories posted:

jeez, are we already moving on from "it wasn't a crime" to "it was entrapment by a scammer"?

because it's explicitly illegal to solicit "anything of value" for an election from a foreign national - and oppo dirt is worth money, careers are made on it, it obviously has value. even if every other thing we've been hearing about for a year turns out to be a fabled Nothingburger, these tweets alone are evidence of a crime, and the question becomes ~what did the president know, and when did he know it?~

This, however, is a little more compelling- if the dirt is worth money, it makes sense that it'd be covered under contribution. But now the question is if the dirt was worth anything, and does it apply to the dirt he thought he was going to get, or the dirt he got? If I go to a meeting where they claim to reveal a surefire way to defeat my opponent, and it turns out to be one of those pyramid cookware schemes, does it count, since my intent was to stab my opponent in the back?

Genuine questions, by the way.

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

yes, but even if you don't actually even try to buy cocaine, if you discuss WAYS to buy cocaine and formulate a plan to buy cocaine with other people, but you don't actually TRY to buy cocaine, it's a crime. Conspiracy is a crime.

You got Trump. He's done for. Good work.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Except they didn't. This guy and the woman used the name of a fake Russian agency to get into the place and plead their case on something completely unrelated.
This is where we're getting back into smokey territory, since this an unknown. But I'll hazard a guess...

https://twitter.com/lrozen/status/884847254250586113

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
DIRT FOR SALE

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

How do you find all this time to post when you are a fulltime goalpost mover?

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
John: "Checkmate police. I did not gently caress the prostitute"

"Sir, youre being charged with solicitation."

John: "Looks like I win. No crime here."

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

FisheyStix posted:

This, however, is a little more compelling- if the dirt is worth money, it makes sense that it'd be covered under contribution. But now the question is if the dirt was worth anything, and does it apply to the dirt he thought he was going to get, or the dirt he got? If I go to a meeting where they claim to reveal a surefire way to defeat my opponent, and it turns out to be one of those pyramid cookware schemes, does it count, since my intent was to stab my opponent in the back?

Yes, it does count. The law doesn't only cover actually getting such things, it also covers soliciting it:

quote:

“No person shall knowingly solicit, accept, or receive from a foreign national any contribution or donation prohibited by [this law].”

(my source is this vox article, which provides a link to the relevant statute)

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

aaaaaaahahahahhahaha

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

This is where we're getting back into smokey territory, since this an unknown. But I'll hazard a guess...

https://twitter.com/lrozen/status/884847254250586113

Is this the point where we all start pretending Trump is a master manipulator again?

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

How do you find all this time to post when you are a fulltime goalpost mover?

I'm not going to sit here playing internet lawyer

Vlonald Prump
Aug 28, 2011

Here in America, you grab them by pussy. In old country, pussy grab you!!
Buglord

COMRADES posted:

They just post what gets leaked to them. They don't "go after" anyone.

So just coincidentally no one leaked anything on St Donald the Pure, who was in the middle of a fraud suit at the time like many upstanding citizens, is that it?

And coincidentally no one ever feeds anything to them regarding that examplar of innocence, Russia?

Meanwhile their big scoops (NSA, Butter Emailz) all seem to be aided and abetted BY Russia?

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
whoa. I just woke up after working til after 5AM and saw like 700 new posts. Guessing Trump is fine?

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Is this the point where we all start pretending Trump is a master manipulator again?
One thing I can say for certain is that he's better at it than Donald Trump, Jr.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Hobelhouse posted:

So just coincidentally no one leaked anything on St Donald the Pure, who was in the middle of a fraud suit at the time like many upstanding citizens, is that it?

And coincidentally no one ever feeds anything to them regarding that examplar of innocence, Russia?

Meanwhile their big scoops all seem to be aided and abetted BY Russia?

In your scenario, if Wikileaks is just not posting the stuff leaked to them about Trump/Russia why wouldn't the leaker then just leak that to someone else who would probably post it and make their career?

Also what's funny about this is that they do post stuff about Russia and Saudi Arabia and Trump.

COMRADES fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jul 11, 2017

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Yes, it does count. The law doesn't only cover actually getting such things, it also covers soliciting it:

aaaaaaahahahahhahaha

Under the Vox interpretation of that law, both the Ukrainian opposition research done by the DNC and MI6 bullshit dossier would fall under it.

Toilet Shoes
Aug 22, 2016

by Lowtax

FisheyStix posted:

Sir, did you intend to kill your wife?

"No."

Sir, you attended a meeting with a third party, by your own admission through released emails, in the hopes of hiring them to kill your wife.

"I never intended to harm her, I just wanted to know what was possible."

You, you wanted to know how the third party would kill your wife, were you to hire them?

"That is correct, but since I never hired them, I was just listening to them talk about it."

So, you are alleging that you went to a secret meeting, with a person you believed to be a murderer, simply to hear how they would kill your wife for you, should you decide to?

"Correct, it's not illegal to just listen."

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
This is the administration of LAW AND ORDER.

But not those laws, they are just silly little laws doncha think? Anywho...

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

scenario: trump is told by his failson that he has heck of dirt, makes speech about it
galaxy brain: aha, this implies that trump orchestrated all of this all by himself, contradiction libs

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

:laffo::laffo:

Skypie posted:

whoa. I just woke up after working til after 5AM and saw like 700 new posts. Guessing Trump is fine?

check don jr's twitter, you are in for a wild ride

Under the Vox interpretation of that law, both the Ukrainian opposition research done by the DNC and MI6 bullshit dossier would fall under it.

arrest hillary forever I give no shits

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

Yes, with all this non caring you clearly demonstrate I can see that!

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
And even if Wikileaks really is choosing who to post leaks on for political purposes, that doesn't invalidate anything they have actually posted thus far (if anything all their major leaks seem to have been corroborated after the fact). So if you're right they are still useful as a point of data and you can get your anti-Russia and anti-Trump stuff elsewhere.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

COMRADES posted:

And even if Wikileaks really is choosing who to post leaks on for political purposes, that doesn't invalidate anything they have actually posted thus far (if anything all their major leaks seem to have been corroborated after the fact). So if you're right they are still useful as a point of data and you can get your anti-Russia and anti-Trump stuff elsewhere.

but they're only tattling on my team so they suck, they're like a rotten referee!, better not listen to anything they say.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

COMRADES posted:

And even if Wikileaks really is choosing who to post leaks on for political purposes, that doesn't invalidate anything they have actually posted thus far

No, but it shows an agenda for what some people have always seen as an impartial organization

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Everyone has an agenda. That's not something that should surprise a rational adult in 2017. Until they are shown to be posting fabrications though I don't see why they should be discounted as a source of data.

a bone to pick posted:

but they're only tattling on my team so they suck, they're like a rotten referee!, better not listen to anything they say.

lol

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

COMRADES posted:

Everyone has an agenda, that's not something that should surprise a rational adult in 2017.

Some of those agendas are "be as impartial as possible!"

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Maybe ideally but what news organization has that agenda?

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

No, but it shows an agenda for what some people have always seen as an impartial organization

Holy poo poo, someone following the breathless Russia coverage just posted this haha.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Holy poo poo, someone following the breathless Russia coverage just posted this haha.

LOL what does this even mean? Don Jr. tweeted the poo poo himself

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010
so what gate we going with on this boys, juniorgate, trumpsboygate, minitrumpgate?

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

Skypie posted:

It still seems that way to me.

Toilet Shoes posted:

Sir, did you intend to kill your wife?

"No."

Sir, you attended a meeting with a third party, by your own admission through released emails, in the hopes of hiring them to kill your wife.

"I never intended to harm her, I just wanted to know what was possible."

You, you wanted to know how the third party would kill your wife, were you to hire them?

"That is correct, but since I never hired them, I was just listening to them talk about it."

So, you are alleging that you went to a secret meeting, with a person you believed to be a murderer, simply to hear how they would kill your wife for you, should you decide to?

"Correct, it's not illegal to just listen."

Ah yes, conspiracy to dunk on your opponent during a presidential election.

aaaaaaahahahahhahaha

Ahhh, gotcha, so by seeking out information that would be valuable to his campaign from a foreign entity, Trump Jr. committed a crime. Again, postulating that contributions and donations cover information that would have value to a campaign- that pretty much checks out as far as I can see, although I guess it remains to be seen whether the courts will agree that such information is covered. But that's for them to decide, I suppose- I'll be interested to see which way this falls out, because receiving intel from foreign nationals is a hell of a lot easier these days, what with the internet. The statute came out in... what, 2002? Last amendment seems to be 2004, maybe they'll have to update it again after this mess to be more clear and concise about the rules whether or not Trump Jr. gets owned bigly.

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

Mnoba posted:

so what gate we going with on this boys, juniorgate, trumpsboygate, minitrumpgate?

I'm gonna have to go with Trumplinggate

Trumpling sounds like dumpling and that's cute!!

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
People itt defending trump who is a massive corporate shill.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
It's amazing that Trump could have a son dumber than him and worse at Twitter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

FisheyStix posted:

I'm gonna have to go with Trumplinggate

Trumpling sounds like dumpling and that's cute!!

Haha, you can't even articulate your point, maybe you should go post somewhere more your speed.

• Locked thread