Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Norns posted:

Please don't gently caress this up Honda...

This is HPD, who has been helping Shank with the NSX team in IMSA (which finally found their stride), and makes the Indy engines. If anyone at Honda knows how to make a racecar engine, it's them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I just see Honda and NSX and just automatically assume it's going to explode. Mostly based on F1 and Anime GT...

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

this should be the paint scheme no im not biased

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Is it one or two cars? Robin Miller was hinting during Iowa it could be JPM in one and Helio in the other.

I'm all for more prototypes as long as they don't go Ganassi and win every drat thing (though that's a tad hypocritical because I was enjoying Taylor Domination this year).

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

CBJSprague24 posted:

Is it one or two cars? Robin Miller was hinting during Iowa it could be JPM in one and Helio in the other.

It would be a little odd to see Helio and JPM in the same car, come to mention it. If Penske goes for two cars it'd be much better to spread the wealth.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Yeah I would guess Penske puts an experienced endurance driver in the other seats. Lots of good talent out there, especially with the demise of Audi's LMP1 program. Maybe somebody like Romain Dumas, who used to drive for Penske in the ALMS Porsche Spyder days, or Loic Duval.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

gret posted:

Yeah I would guess Penske puts an experienced endurance driver in the other seats. Lots of good talent out there, especially with the demise of Audi's LMP1 program. Maybe somebody like Romain Dumas, who used to drive for Penske in the ALMS Porsche Spyder days, or Loic Duval.

Retirement (a large collection of Audi's team was built on guys who had been there since Porsche's pullout), LMP2, Porsche and Formula E have eaten the former Audi-sport team. There's no meat on that bone. Lucas di Grassi and Oliver Jarvis are the ones that leap out as not being "totally garbage", and it looks like they might be pretty happy where they are.

IMSA isn't going to be a huge prestigious lure that drags good Euro-drivers across the pond, and I doubt Honda is super keen to invest megabucks making it so.

Schlesische fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jul 12, 2017

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Schlesische posted:

IMSA isn't going to be a huge prestigious lure that drags good Euro-drivers across the pond, and I doubt Honda is super keen to invest megabucks making it so.

Unless there are factories involved - shout out to Gimmi Bruni.

There will probably be a mix of Penske guys (JPM and Helio obviously potentially full-time) and Honda guys. Look at who they have in IMSA and PWC now for hints as to who may be involved.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I'm not sure there are many drivers who would turn down a Penske DPi drive to stay in Formula E, unless they really didnt wanna move to the US.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Most Formula E drivers also have endurance drives, it's not impossible to see someone doing both but I also can't see many of them choosing to go to IMSA over WEC or Blancpain.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

I would think driving for basically a factory Honda team for Roger Penske would be a better gig than driving for privateer teams in LMP2. Maybe the Russian/Chinese oligarchs funding those privateer teams pay really well, who knows?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

gret posted:

I would think driving for basically a factory Honda team for Roger Penske would be a better gig than driving for privateer teams in LMP2. Maybe the Russian/Chinese oligarchs funding those privateer teams pay really well, who knows?

If you're in WEC, you're in the world championship, you're going to Le Mans, and you're using that exposure trying to line up some kind of factory or in-house (e.g. for Manor or Jota) drive. Or you're a factory driver out on loan (a bunch of Audi drivers were P2 except for driving the third car at Spa/Le Mans). And if you're European you may prefer that vs heading over to the States.

I still think you need to look at American-based Honda-connected drivers when theorycrafting your Penske Acura lineups. It's an IMSA program run by HPD, think accordingly.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Annnnnd Porsche admits that they're debating pulling out of LMP1, but haven't officially decided yet: https://www.motorsport.com/wec/news/porsche-admits-decision-imminent-amid-lmp1-exit-speculation-931260/

:sigh:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

iospace posted:

Annnnnd Porsche admits that they're debating pulling out of LMP1, but haven't officially decided yet: https://www.motorsport.com/wec/news/porsche-admits-decision-imminent-amid-lmp1-exit-speculation-931260/

Toyota finally gets that Le Mans win by default :japan:

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

iospace posted:

Porsche exits LMP1, Lexus announces entry into LMP1 to compete with Toyota

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

orange juche posted:

Toyota finally gets that Le Mans win by default :japan:

Toyota wouldn't even get a top 5 based on this years' results

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

orange juche posted:

Toyota Rebellion finally gets that Le Mans win by default :japan:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

WindyMan posted:

Porsche exits LMP1, Lexus announces entry into LMP1 to compete with Toyota

No LMP1 cars finish 2018 Le Mans :japan:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

financially racist posted:

"orange juche" posted:

Toyota Rebellion ByKolles finally gets that Le Mans win by default :godwinning:

orange juche fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jul 15, 2017

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I would kind of suck if LMP1 essentially disappears before Toyota finally wins one

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Real chance of the World Championship collapsing in that case (minimum two OEMs needed to make a WC).

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

So we're back to the death of the WSC in 1993?

It is pretty funny since WSC died because all the OEM teams worth a poo poo moved to Formula 1, and WEC is gonna die because all the OEM teams worth a poo poo are pursuing Formula E bids.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I don't think Porsche would pull out of WEC for Formula E. They already have Audi.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Norns posted:

I don't think Porsche would pull out of WEC for Formula E. They already have Audi.

Of course they would. They're already considering pulling out of WEC early to go to Formula E. They were already heading there, but now they're considering cutting their WEC commitment short to jump to Formula E. Basically if another marque doesnt join LMP1 after the 2017 season ends, there's a non-zero chance of repeating 1993 again, because Porsche is considering exiting as early as the 2018 season.

I mean, who the gently caress is there to race against? They're racing against Toyota (lol), and themselves.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jul 16, 2017

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Last I heard they were looking to supply batteries?

Idk I'd just like them to come to F1 and save McLaren from Honda.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

orange juche posted:

Of course they would. They're already considering pulling out of WEC early to go to Formula E. They were already heading there, but now they're considering cutting their WEC commitment short to jump to Formula E. Basically if another marque doesnt join LMP1 after the 2017 season ends, there's a non-zero chance of repeating 1993 again, because Porsche is considering exiting as early as the 2018 season.

I mean, who the gently caress is there to race against? They're racing against Toyota (lol), and themselves.

They're getting clobbered by Toyota this year.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Good to see sportscar racing still apparently cannibalizes itself at least once a decade

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Fauxhawk Express posted:

Good to see sportscar racing still apparently cannibalizes itself at least once a decade

WSC made it from like the 50s to the 90s intact, but yeah since the early 90s, no headlining sportscar series has lasted very long.

Seriously it goes exactly like this:

1) New series announced - good initial manufacturer buy-in, along with good privateer funding because it is a new series

2) Privateers slowly fade out due to attrition/price out, weaker manufacturers pull their factory teams, due to same cost factor.

3) Series folds as the last few remaining manufacturers bail because it's too expensive to compete.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jul 16, 2017

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Bold Prediction: LMP1 implodes. LMP2 simply becomes "prototype", and WEC moves to IMSA style classes

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

iospace posted:

Bold Prediction: LMP1 implodes. LMP2 simply becomes "prototype", and WEC moves to IMSA style classes

LMP2 now is already running the same speed as LMP1 factory teams were back in 2010-2012 I think? They're faster than they've ever been, and it's not like there's no participation in lower classes, so it's not nearly as bad as the 1993 gently caress up where everyone bailed and WSC got kludged together in the US from the ground up in one off season to make sure there was something to do the following year.

Also: people have been making your bold prediction ever since LMP1HY became a thing.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Maybe Nissan will come back for another go. A showdown between them and Toyota would be cool.
Short time to turn build a competitive car though...

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

iospace posted:

LMP1 isn't dead, it's the HY split that's dead if Porsche pulls out.

julian assflange posted:

Maybe Nissan will come back for another go. A showdown between them and Toyota would be cool.
Short time to turn build a competitive car though...

Nissan apparently has zero compunction to create a non-competitive car...

If Porsche did pull out, I could see ACO caving completely to Peugeot's demands and lowering the entry requirements so that manufacturers don't have to enter P1HY in order to have two manufacturers. Also, LMP1 (and particularly LMP1HY) has never had great Manufacturer buy in, especially for WEC/ELMS.

All of that is ignoring the following:

1) Porsche doesn't give a flying gently caress about WEC, only Le Mans which they're continuing to win.
2) the ACO pandered pretty hard to Porsche and are more than willing to pander even harder if that's what it takes.
3) Porsche doesn't need to build a new car until it's time to get ready for 2020.

I predict they'll reevaluate it, trim the program a bit and reevaluate it but for realsies this time before 2019.

Schlesische fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Jul 16, 2017

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

If they did away with the HY split and requiring manufacturers to only enter the LMP1HY class, they would have definitely more manufacturers interested.

Hybrid poo poo is cool we get it but Formula E stole your green racing thunder, ACO.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
All my sympathy for Toyota died this year

Much like their cars

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005

CactusWeasle posted:

All my sympathy for Toyota died this year

Much like their cars

Speaking of, the #8 just died on the formation lap at the Nurburgring

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
Fuel pump

I wonder can Buemi make it to NYC :v:

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Nissan should bring back that amazing front engine...

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Xisticide posted:

Speaking of, the #8 just died on the formation lap at the Nurburgring

How sad was sad grandpa the Toyota engineer?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Sort of sad news, the Lausitzring is closing for public and racing use to become a test track for autonomous vehicles. Sucks pretty hard for DTM since that forces the 2018 season to either be a race shorter or forces them to scramble to find a track for a 9th race.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
http://www.racer.com/imsa/item/142404-mazda-team-joest-to-debut-in-2018

I think somebody got tired of losing.

• Locked thread