Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I am going to try to avoid dual- jobs as it sems to negate the challenge. I might get a second job for more weapon variety, like having Red Battlemage Ashe go Knight to use Swords. But that is as far as I want to go. I just finished Barheim Passage so I don't even have two of my intended main party at pesent but never hurts to think ahead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I know skill and ability license as well as Espers unlock between a character's two License Boards, but to Quickenings unlock individually, IE if Vaan unlocks the 50 LP Quickening on his Monk board will the 50LP Quickening on his Uhlan board also unlock?

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

It's really weird playing FFXII and hearing dialogue that doesn't sound like it was recorded through a tin can and a sock.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

DoubleCakes posted:

I know skill and ability license as well as Espers unlock between a character's two License Boards, but to Quickenings unlock individually, IE if Vaan unlocks the 50 LP Quickening on his Monk board will the 50LP Quickening on his Uhlan board also unlock?

Yes, any license that is the same on two boards will unlock on both with a single purchase.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I thought you were locked into the classes you chose at the beginning of the game and couldn't change them later
Also what are the things a person who will play this game for the first time should know

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Calaveron posted:

I thought you were locked into the classes you chose at the beginning of the game and couldn't change them later
Also what are the things a person who will play this game for the first time should know

You are, but you can choose 2 jobs per character in this version

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

With being able to choose two jobs in this version, is it possible to max stats with every character?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

MMF Freeway posted:

You are, but you can choose 2 jobs per character in this version

note: this means that the two jobs are essentially combined and picking jobs with similar but not overlapping traits can create a demigod
note 2: this is in no way required because the game was only balanced for one job lol

I wonder if seitengrat / trango tower are in zodiac age. that would be wacky.
https://www.reddit.com/r/FinalFantasyXII/comments/2nj0cl/obtaining_seitengrat_in_ffxii_izjs/
:shepicide:

Meridian posted:

With being able to choose two jobs in this version, is it possible to max stats with every character?
no because any traits on both jobs are automatically unlocked. e: well, this isn't exactly why maxing isn't possible, but it's one of the reasons why you can't double dip. You can make a lot of "really close to max" on 3-4 people though

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Levantine posted:

I did that too, and just turned it off when I stole everything. It was a little tedious.

I just used that gambit on the character I was controlling. By the time steal was finished someone else would have damaged the monster so I'd be able to use lower tiered gambits on it.

I used guns in my main party the first time through. Between the sword that proc'd Death equipped on Basch and the ammo that proc'd Break on Balthier I never had to worry about 'sub-optimal dps'.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

no because any traits on both jobs are automatically unlocked.

What do you mean by this? I know characters have innate abilities like steal or cure, but aren't stat gains tied to the board, or are stats not affected by job choice?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I'm curious as to how the chest system has been changed, and how that affects things like the early Zodiac Spear, etc.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Kelp Me! posted:

I'm curious as to how the chest system has been changed, and how that affects things like the early Zodiac Spear, etc.

I did read that loving yourself out of the Zodiac Spear by opening certain chests got removed.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Meridian posted:

What do you mean by this? I know characters have innate abilities like steal or cure, but aren't stat gains tied to the board, or are stats not affected by job choice?

You gain stats from the board and from leveling. Leveling stats are tied to character not job. The board slots that boost stats carry over for both jobs. So if you unlock the strength boost 1 slot on the knight board its also unlocked on the foebreaker board, essentially meaning you can only get the boost once.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Oh that makes sense. So no point doubling down on two jobs focused on one particular stat to buff it up then. Interesting. I know I'm going to be staring at the job select screen for way longer than I should.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Meridian posted:

Basically each licence board has "Stat Boost" licences, which add to a characters natural stats. FFXII IZJS added a fair amount of these to make job choice easier.

The way the game engine does it is that each licence exists as its own internal thing, and the fact that there are multiple licence boards just makes it so that you can place the same licence on multiple boards.

This is why Vaan can always Steal. By default he always has the licence for the "Steal" Tecknick unlocked.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Kelp Me! posted:

This is one of the cooler changes in IZJS imo. Almost all the chests in the game have had their contents changed from vanilla. Many of them now contain unique spells or items that can only be discovered in those chests and in these cases that chest does not have a random spawn/drop chance. Meaning the chest will always be there, and it will always contain the thing. The chests that are still randomized have been relegated to containing consumables or non-unique items.

In the case of the spear, the old way of obtaining it was totally removed and it was added to a guaranteed chest late in the game. Interestingly though, its still very worthwhile to make an early trip to that general area where you'd have gotten the spear in vanilla as now you can find good spells and armor pieces there.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

So would that mean that the best choice for jobs would be things like Knight/Blackmage or whatever so you're getting both STR and MA? I mean, not that particular combo obviously, but the premise.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Meridian posted:

So would that mean that the best choice for jobs would be things like Knight/Blackmage or whatever so you're getting both STR and MA? I mean, not that particular combo obviously, but the premise.

basically yeah except you should probably do a big think on what you want the character to do, knight/blm isn't can't swing a sword AND cast a spell at the same time, so boosting both stats is wasted
you want to find things that synergize but not overlap
knight whm = bad, overlap with white magic, swords, greatsword
knight bushi = good, not a lot of overlap but becomes a melee powerhouse

OR

just do what sounds cool and double up jobs if you want because I'm pretty sure someone has beaten the game with 3 monks in IZJS, and unless you pick 6 time mages you won't be screwed ever

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

OR

just do what sounds cool and double up jobs if you want because I'm pretty sure someone has beaten the game with 3 monks in IZJS, and unless you pick 6 time mages you won't be screwed ever

My broken brain does not allow me to not do the most OP stuff possible in RPGs. This is why Disgaea is extremely my poo poo.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Meridian posted:

My broken brain does not allow me to not do the most OP stuff possible in RPGs. This is why Disgaea is extremely my poo poo.

let me tell you about dustia farming

get a lot of phoenix downs and go to the western desert once penelo leaves your party

setup a gambit for "on enemy sighted -> use phoenix down" and set battle speed to minimum (turn off the turbo, too)

smack yourself until you're at 10% of your max health and cross the zone to the north.

within 2 seconds an angry ghost named Dustia will appear and start casting dark on you. But you're so cool you instantly vaporize it with your phoenix down. Before its death animation finishes, cross back into the previous zone. If you see a popup with xp and lp you bungled it, reload. You should be able to zone in, kill ghost (get its drop) and leave within 5-6 seconds.

It gets you 1100 xp and 3 lp per kill

an hour of dustia farming will get you to around....35?

that means when the later npcs join your party they'll also be 35/36/37

enjoy the steamroll

or don't and just enjoy the really cool game

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
The dustia trick is cool because you can do it before you even pick a job for Vaan so you can make a sort of blank slate save file for future playthroughs. Lets you just walk through the early game and get to the parts where the world opens up and you have the full party. All the LP you earn is banked for the rest of your party members too.

Since, ya know, you are gonna be playing this insanely long rpg multiple times right??

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
I just do it for like a couple minutes for the loot so I can get some extra cash. You never really need to grind in 12, gear is where most of the work comes from.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Has Dustia farming been fixed in the remaster? I just got there, killed a single Dustia and none have been spawned since.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Has Dustia farming been fixed in the remaster? I just got there, killed a single Dustia and none have been spawned since.

Did you zone properly before Dustia died? If you watch the entire death animation then you did it wrong.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

let me tell you about dustia farming

get a lot of phoenix downs and go to the western desert once penelo leaves your party

setup a gambit for "on enemy sighted -> use phoenix down" and set battle speed to minimum (turn off the turbo, too)

smack yourself until you're at 10% of your max health and cross the zone to the north.

within 2 seconds an angry ghost named Dustia will appear and start casting dark on you. But you're so cool you instantly vaporize it with your phoenix down. Before its death animation finishes, cross back into the previous zone. If you see a popup with xp and lp you bungled it, reload. You should be able to zone in, kill ghost (get its drop) and leave within 5-6 seconds.

It gets you 1100 xp and 3 lp per kill

an hour of dustia farming will get you to around....35?

that means when the later npcs join your party they'll also be 35/36/37

enjoy the steamroll

or don't and just enjoy the really cool game

what have you done

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Shoren posted:

I've been waiting for this game for so long. I really liked the original and I'm excited to get home and play the remaster. After some light reading on the classes this is what I decided on:

Vaan - Shikari/Foebreaker
Penelo - Monk/Black Mage
Balthier - Uhlan/Time Battlemage
Fran - Archer/Red Battlemage
Ashe - White Mage/Machinist
Basch - Samurai/Knight

Uses all twelve classes and has pretty good utility overall, I think. Also kind of thematic with each character, or close to it. I've read that min/maxing isn't required so having some characters be suboptimal isn't a huge deal to me. I'd rather get a taste for each class.

This is very close to my ideal party, except I'd have Balthier as the Machinist and Ashe as the Uhlan.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Meridian posted:

what have you done

I think I'm the only person who likes to play RPGs without breaking everything so they're super easy

yeah you can get the lionheart on disc one of VIII but...why

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Zaphod42 posted:

This is very close to my ideal party, except I'd have Balthier as the Machinist and Ashe as the Uhlan.
please don't make me post about Balthier's gun animation again, I will do it, I'm that guy who's that much of a sperg :shepicide:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

please don't make me post about Balthier's gun animation again, I will do it, I'm that guy who's that much of a sperg :shepicide:

:ohdear: what's wrong with Balthier's.... *looks up your post history*

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Shoren posted:

Did you zone properly before Dustia died? If you watch the entire death animation then you did it wrong.

Must've just been a second too slow. Ah well, it's not like it's a one-time thing.

Incidentally, does anyone feel like they changed up the combat some? I've got Vaan as a samurai and he's blocking and chaining hits a hell of a lot more than I recall anyone in the base game managing. I'm not complaining, it's just a strange thing to see, considering the base game seemed stingy with such luxuries.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Yeah, I was going to say Balthier was "a tenth of a second slower" but that sounds so much less impressive!

It's not a huge deal, but the grindy sperg in me minds it a lot.

lol

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Help Im Alive posted:

I think I'm the only person who likes to play RPGs without breaking everything so they're super easy

yeah you can get the lionheart on disc one of VIII but...why

To get it on disc one! :black101:

Also, it's not about getting Lionheart on disc one, it's about card sharking your way into thousands of damage before you leave balamb garden.

Theotus fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jul 11, 2017

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Style is important to the leading man, I leave the efficiency to people much less beautiful than me.

Gonna get me the new FFXII, gotta get my some Benny Hill chains going.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Meridian posted:

To get it on disc one! :black101:

Also, it's not about getting Lionheart on disc one, it's about card sharking your way into thousands of damage before you leave balamb garden.

If you don't have each character with at least 1 stat maxed by the time you get to Deling City I don't even know what to tell you

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Most people haven't played the international version so heads up on all the changes they made and are still in this game:

-Quickening doesn't consume MP. Now they use their own Mist gauge similarly to Limit Breaks from previous Final Fantasy titles.

-Playable characters' starting LP, consumables, gil, gambits, equipment, and licenses have been modified.
-Playable characters' base stats have been altered.
-Guests have undergone a number of changes:
-They can gain EXP and level up.
-They come equipped with better equipment. For example, both Lamont and Reddas can now attack flying targets with their basic attacks.
-In general, guests are now capable of using a wider variety of magicks and abilities.
-The player obtains consumables and gil from guests who join the party.
-Guests consume the player's items.

- Many magick spells and technicks have been tweaked, renamed and recategorized. Also, Green Magicks can only be purchased from the Clan Provisioner.

-The following magicks and technicks are only found inside treasures chests:
White Magicks: Renew, Cleanse, Dispel, Despelga, Protectga, Shellga, Bravery, Faith, Regen, Holy.
Black Magicks: Flare, Scathe, Blind, Blindga, Silence, Silencega, Sleep, Sleepga, Poison, Toxify.
Time Magicks: Haste, Hastega, Countdown, Float, Vanish, Reflect, Reflectga, Balance, Warp.
Arcane Magicks: Death, Ardor.
Technicks: Telekinesis, Numerology, Sight Unseeing, Charm, Achilles, Infuse, Gil Toss, 1000 Needles, Revive, Stamp, Shades of Black, Bonecrusher, Wither, Addle, Expose, Shear.

-Certain gambits have been renamed and sixteen new gambits are available. All can be bought after leaving the Barheim Passage. Gambits can no longer be found in treasure chests.
- Obtaining Quickenings no longer affects max MP and Mist charges do not diminish when MP is consumed (unless the player is affected by a reversed Elixir or Megalixir). The player's MP is also unaffected by the depletion of Mist charges. However, effects that recover the player's MP will also restore Mist charges. One Mist charge is granted each time the amount recovered totals the player's maximum MP. Effects that fully restore a player's MP recover all Mist charges.
-Espers have been tweaked and their summon durations have been increased from one minute and thirty seconds to four minutes and ten seconds. Adjustments have been made to stat parameters, gambits, augments, and actions. Also, they now require MP to cast magicks.
-Almost all attacks now break the damage limit by default.
- Battle chains begin at 2 instead of 1. The first monster defeated is considered the first chain, although nothing is displayed until a subsequent monster is defeated. Drop rate modifiers associated with chains have also been adjusted.
- Poles and spears can now hit flying enemies.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

time to play ff12 the way I always have: by dumping vaan in a gutter and pretending basch is the main character. (he was supposed to be at one point but they asked japanese youth what a good main character is and they picked pretty boy)

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Must've just been a second too slow. Ah well, it's not like it's a one-time thing.

:confused: but it is a one time thing?

if you kill dustia and watch the animation you're done, no more dustia, dustia is gone kaput vanished

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

(he was supposed to be at one point but they asked japanese youth what a good main character is and they picked pretty boy)

not actually true at all

quote:

:confused: but it is a one time thing?

if you kill dustia and watch the animation you're done, no more dustia, dustia is gone kaput vanished

Go enough zones away from the deserts and it resets.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

The GIG posted:

not actually true at all

quote:

Basch was initially meant to be the main protagonist of the story, but the focus was eventually shifted to Vaan and Penelo when the two characters were created later in development. The development team explained that their previous game, Vagrant Story, which featured a "strong man in his prime" as the protagonist had been unsuccessful and unpopular; the change regarding Final Fantasy XII from a "big and tough" protagonist to a younger, youthful one was thus decided after targeting demographics were considered

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

The GIG posted:

not actually true at all

Yeah people act like Vaan was shoehorned in at the last minute.

Rather, Vaan was created in the early concept stages like, you know, all the other characters. Initial concepts for the game, before they had the plot and characters settled, had someone with Proto-Basch's design as the main character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

well if that's the case then ff12 was hosed from the get-go, vaan sucks rear end, basch is my tender husbando

e: i identify with vaan that's why I don't like him