Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

ArbitraryC posted:

and then because everyone does this the overhead bins immediately fill up then they have to hold up the plane while they bring out a cart and check random people's bullshit personal items the normal way.

to be fair, I can generally brute force and stuff it under my chair just enough that attendents don't care (and sometimes take the laptop out first not to crunch anything) so that's not a problem since im still using my 1 alloted overhead for the actual carry-on. the only time i couldn't was when i randomly got a seat right infront of a large divider without knowing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Sono posted:

So you can just slap a label on a suitcase and ship it? No box or anything?

Duffel bags, maybe. But most suitcases, zip tie the zippers closed and send it off. Always get a tracking number.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
I had a brief period of working as a Phone network engineer I really didn't like the job so I no longer do it, the work was alright but the company we're absolute oval office's and I got sick of constantly finishing late...

Anyway one time I receive a job on my extremely clunky Iphone loaded up with third party software, The notes attached to it suggest it's a repair on the customer's phoneline but it's very unclear on what the issue is.
I call the customer and it's a lady with a bit of a plum in her throat, she says she had a power cut and her phone is no longer displaying the time/date, now I am merely a NETWORK engineer and only responsible for the phone line not her equipment , I tell her this and that If I attend her address I would have to test her phoneline which would likely be fine (she was receiving/making calls) then her service provider would charge her £125, I also explained that I may not be able to do what she wanted to the phone as I may not be familiar with the model, she attempted to tell me that it was "one of yours" (it was a BT phone I worked for Openreach so the confusion is understandable there as they are technically the same company), after numerous back and forth's with this woman trying to get through to her that I'm just trying to save her money and her calling me ruse on a few occasions she utter's the line "I'm paying a lot of money I have lots of money you should treat you're customer's with lots of money better" this stops me dead in my tracks as I despise that mentality so I say "OK I'm on my way and jump in my van".

About 10 minutes later I arrive at the ladies' house and she's a stereotypical wealthy cat lady she greets me with " your a very rude man" I ignore this and ask where her phone is, I enter her house making sure not to remove my incredibly dirty workboots and fit my tester to her phoneline, a few minute's later the test come's back fine so I let her know this and start packing my gear away, she looks at the phone and screeches "you haven't fixed it" I repeat what I told her on the phone that not only am I not familiar with the phone but I'm also not insured to mess with her phone and if I we're to damage it I would be in trouble.
I then left the home as she continued screeching I closed her front porch door and as I'm going down the garden path I hear a thud, turns out she'd thrown the phone in my direction, it had hit her porch door (which was made of glass) making a nice little crack and shattering the handset.
I jumped in my van drove around the corner and made detailed notes then waited for half an hour to milk the jobs time limit then hosed off home with a big smile on my face.

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

This title text is surprisingly sturdy.

Gaz2k21 posted:

I had a brief period of working as a Phone network engineer I really didn't like the job so I no longer do it, the work was alright but the company we're absolute oval office's and I got sick of constantly finishing late...

Anyway one time I receive a job on my extremely clunky Iphone loaded up with third party software, The notes attached to it suggest it's a repair on the customer's phoneline but it's very unclear on what the issue is.
I call the customer and it's a lady with a bit of a plum in her throat, she says she had a power cut and her phone is no longer displaying the time/date, now I am merely a NETWORK engineer and only responsible for the phone line not her equipment , I tell her this and that If I attend her address I would have to test her phoneline which would likely be fine (she was receiving/making calls) then her service provider would charge her £125, I also explained that I may not be able to do what she wanted to the phone as I may not be familiar with the model, she attempted to tell me that it was "one of yours" (it was a BT phone I worked for Openreach so the confusion is understandable there as they are technically the same company), after numerous back and forth's with this woman trying to get through to her that I'm just trying to save her money and her calling me ruse on a few occasions she utter's the line "I'm paying a lot of money I have lots of money you should treat you're customer's with lots of money better" this stops me dead in my tracks as I despise that mentality so I say "OK I'm on my way and jump in my van".

About 10 minutes later I arrive at the ladies' house and she's a stereotypical wealthy cat lady she greets me with " your a very rude man" I ignore this and ask where her phone is, I enter her house making sure not to remove my incredibly dirty workboots and fit my tester to her phoneline, a few minute's later the test come's back fine so I let her know this and start packing my gear away, she looks at the phone and screeches "you haven't fixed it" I repeat what I told her on the phone that not only am I not familiar with the phone but I'm also not insured to mess with her phone and if I we're to damage it I would be in trouble.
I then left the home as she continued screeching I closed her front porch door and as I'm going down the garden path I hear a thud, turns out she'd thrown the phone in my direction, it had hit her porch door (which was made of glass) making a nice little crack and shattering the handset.
I jumped in my van drove around the corner and made detailed notes then waited for half an hour to milk the jobs time limit then hosed off home with a big smile on my face.

Oh the sweet tears of unsatisfied entitlement. So delicious.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Sono posted:

You can ship anything you want to, as long as it isn't dangerous to handle (no sharp edges etc).

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Sono posted:

You can just slap a label on just about anything that won't fall apart, break, die or damage other packages.

I once mailed a differential wrapped in plastic bags. The only reason it was even covered was that it might have still had oil in it.

VideoTapir fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jul 11, 2017

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

VideoTapir posted:

You can just slap a label on just about anything that won't fall apart, break, die or damage other packages.

I once mailed a differential wrapped in plastic bags. The only reason it was even covered was that it might have still had oil in it.

At the Ripley's Believe It Or Not ODDitorium in Myrtle Beach, SC, they have a display case of items from a contest where fans would try to mail things to them by just putting a shipping label and stamps on it, and no other packaging. Some of the items include a soccer ball, a bra, a traffic cone, and a mailbox.

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

Choco1980 posted:

At the Ripley's Believe It Or Not ODDitorium in Myrtle Beach, SC, they have a display case of items from a contest where fans would try to mail things to them by just putting a shipping label and stamps on it, and no other packaging. Some of the items include a soccer ball, a bra, a traffic cone, and a mailbox.

huh, what was the contest? seeing what things shipping companies/the postal service will accept without packaging?

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.

Starman Super DX posted:

huh, what was the contest? seeing what things shipping companies/the postal service will accept without packaging?

i guess.

I think UPS will ship tires just with a sticker on them. We have these big things for moving tanks and heavy poo poo at work when doing rigging
that just have UPS labels on them from when they were shipped in. they're over 6 feet long and extremely heavy.

You can ship pretty much anything on LTL freight too, as long as it can be moved with a fork and isn't like on fire or actively trying to kill someone or leak gallons of poo poo out. Last year we ordered an entire ~6x10x8 used glass-and-steel bus stop and i think it came via old dominion. don't remember specifically but it was an ltl carrier

berth ell pup fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jul 11, 2017

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Mailed them a mailbox by just slapping a sticker on the side.

Sometimes it's the simplest things...:allears:

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
That's why they can never have robotic mail carriers... slapping a shipping label on a mailbox with its own address written on it would cause the robot to explode

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I dont fly very often but whenever I do I just wear a big coat and stuff whatever is overweight in my carry on into big pockets I'm pretty sure somewhere on the internet I'm the flight attendent version of the store poopers itt

ZombieJesus
Feb 26, 2005

He died for your sins, he rose for your BRAINS

drowned in pussy juice posted:

I dont fly very often but whenever I do I just wear a big coat and stuff whatever is overweight in my carry on into big pockets I'm pretty sure somewhere on the internet I'm the flight attendent version of the store poopers itt

Nah, the equivalent is the people making GBS threads anywhere that isn't the toilet bowl on the plane... That would be an inescapably bad time to be a flight attendant

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I was just a passenger but I'm posting by proxy the story of the Orthodox Jewish guy who held up the flight for nearly 25 minutes by absolutely refusing to give up his big bulky carry-on, despite being told a million times "you don't need to go to baggage claim it will literally be sitting at the exit waiting for you."

Even the guy in the yellow vest loading baggage came on to the flight to try to reason with the guy. Eventually he relented, but the second the seatbelt sign went off the dude started pacing the aisle checking the overhead bins, and when he found one that wasn't 100% full (no way he would have fit his bag in there anyway), proceeded to berate every flight attendant within earshot about it.

Honestly considering notable events of the past year I'm surprised he wasn't dragged off the flight by the cops before we took off. I'm also convinced if he had been any other race/religion aside from an old, obese white guy with peyes and hat, he would have been tackled by an air marshall for pacing around and randomly rooting around in the overhead bins.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Xaris posted:

to be fair, I can generally brute force and stuff it under my chair just enough that attendents don't care (and sometimes take the laptop out first not to crunch anything) so that's not a problem since im still using my 1 alloted overhead for the actual carry-on. the only time i couldn't was when i randomly got a seat right infront of a large divider without knowing

United has caught on to this and if you buy "Basic Economy" you are only allowed to bring one "personal" item that can fit under the sit, no overhead bin usage. It cost a extra $25 to check a bag and a extra $25 on top of that if you try to do it at the gate.

So yeah, don't fly United.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

A lot of airlines are doing that retarded Basic Economy thing, it's loving toxic. Lucky for me my credit card company reimburses me for checked bag fees. Supposedly if I do the Basic-to-Regular Economy upgrade at the airport instead of in advance, they'll reimburse me for that too, but I haven't tried it yet.

I can honestly say that the European budget airlines like EasyJet are somehow still more pleasant experiences than some of the big names here like Delta or United.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Kelp Me! posted:

A lot of airlines are doing that retarded Basic Economy thing, it's loving toxic. Lucky for me my credit card company reimburses me for checked bag fees. Supposedly if I do the Basic-to-Regular Economy upgrade at the airport instead of in advance, they'll reimburse me for that too, but I haven't tried it yet.

I can honestly say that the European budget airlines like EasyJet are somehow still more pleasant experiences than some of the big names here like Delta or United.

Kayak and the like have loving ruined airlines (not that they were great to start with).
Everyone picks the cheapest possible flight and doesn't look at what it comes with. Then a $50 each way bag fee shows up.
I fly southwest whenever possible (and on the west coast it is often the only direct option anyhow.) So much less bullshit.

Easyjet and southwest are roughly comparable, though southwest has no hidden fees still. Ryanair can go gently caress itself.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I mean that's more "people are dumb and don't read fine print" than Kayak's fault. All the airline websites make it pretty clear you're getting the absolute basics.

Easyjet and the like (Lufthansa has its own budget brand too, forget what it's called but it's great) are fantastic if you actually take the time to understand what you're getting into. We flew from Edinburgh to Amsterdam and Berlin to Barcelona and the flights were like 50£\€ per person. The only extra fees we paid were like $8 a person to get an assigned seat and board first.

It was pretty funny to see the flight attendants' give-no-fucks attitude, one of them literally told a group of drunken Scotsmen to "sit the gently caress down until the plane lands, you're not toddlers, you can hold your pish 10 more minutes" :laugh:

I should mention too that those were last-minute flight bookings too, you can really get some absurd deals if you plan ahead.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

BexGu posted:

United has caught on to this and if you buy "Basic Economy" you are only allowed to bring one "personal" item that can fit under the sit, no overhead bin usage. It cost a extra $25 to check a bag and a extra $25 on top of that if you try to do it at the gate.

As if getting the poo poo kicked out of me isn't bad enough they look to pocket some of my cash while they are at it.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I would work retail again before I would work for an airline and I would never work retail again.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Imo you should work somewhere tied to a skill set other than "warm body"

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Question for shopping-cart-having retail veterans:

When shopping cart wheels lock up halfway across the parking lot, and customers abandon them where they stand, do you hate them for it; or do you just blame it on your masters?

What if I hurl the thing before I abandon it?

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

VideoTapir posted:

When shopping cart wheels lock up halfway across the parking lot, and customers abandon them where they stand, do you hate them for it; or do you just blame it on your masters?

Idk I've never encountered a shopping cart that couldn't be pushed back to the corral normally :shrug: so I would assume that most of these people are just lazy

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

BexGu posted:

You say this like it's unique to United.

Frontier charges $30 for a carry-on bag if you remember to add it online before you fly. At the gate, the fee is $60 each way.
Spirit charges $100 for a carry-on bag each way at the gate.
American's Basic Economy charges $50 for a carry on each way.

Delta's Basic Economy fares are the only ones that do not limit a person on if they can bring a carry-on or not.

Dunno what to tell you if you pick basic economy over a regular economy seat to save $10.

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I just buy all new poo poo when I get to my destination and then fedex it back before I leave.

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.

Starman Super DX posted:

Idk I've never encountered a shopping cart that couldn't be pushed back to the corral normally :shrug: so I would assume that most of these people are just lazy

In lovely neighborhoods at least in nc/ga/tn the wheels lock at the edge of the parking lot to keep people from stealing them but yeah it seems that would create piles of carts if that's what he's talking about.

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

berth ell pup posted:

In lovely neighborhoods at least in nc/ga/tn the wheels lock at the edge of the parking lot to keep people from stealing them but yeah it seems that would create piles of carts if that's what he's talking about.

Nah I get it. It's different everywhere and I work in a town of wealthy assholes so that's just my own experience

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
The mall near me has a Target with those types of carts, and people would try to walk them down to the trolley, which was at the bottom of a steep hill. A decent amount of them just ended up being thrown in the grass around the path, if not thrown all the way down the hill by some kids or something.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Every time I've had a cart lock, it stays locked. At least you've got to move it more than a few yards to get it to unlock, assuming it doesn't take some special tool. So I'm like "gently caress it." At best I'll move it out of the traffic lane.

I've been seeing a lot more (well, some, sometimes, vs never before) shopping carts in the middle of the street near stores since these things caught on, probably because there are people more spiteful than me.

VideoTapir fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jul 11, 2017

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

That's funny, I think if something like that happened in our store and it was that impossible to move someone would complain and it would either get fixed or be decommissioned entirely. I have no real idea though I'm not the store cart inspector.

The most we get is the cart with the one bad wheel. (This is where I would use a Kenny Bania smilie if we had one)

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

VideoTapir posted:

When I worked at a grocery store I loved those. It could take 15 minutes to gather all of those up as we had a huge parking lot so it was an easy way to pass the time. It was an excuse for me to not be inside the store dealing with dumb poo poo. Instead I got to walk around and listen to music for a hour unless I could convince people to give me their shifts. People usually would because my store was full of drunks and no one wants to push carts while hung over. I got a really good tan doing that and didn't have a whole lot to do unless it was senior day or a Sunday after one of the masses got out.

Funniest things that happened were:

Bees swarming into a bush in the literal front of the store and stinging the poo poo out of the rear end in a top hat manager everyone hated.

Customers flagging me down to be a witness to the damage a cart that was pushed by another customer did to their car only to lose their poo poo when I would tell them no.

Customers getting mad I refused to give them carts that had been tied together with rope. The store was cheap and instead of ordering a belt from corporate they decided to save a whole 2 dollars and store used a 100ft rope.

Customers getting throwing tantrums and literally items when I pass them by as I'm moving carts instead of helping to load. Store policy was to get your carts into the bay and out of the parking lot if you had a load tied up because in the past some drunk idiot had plowed right through a train of them.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

I got a degree to get out of working retail and I've never been happier.

My favorite manager was deaf and we'd bring anyone who was complaining to him. He'd stand there and listen to them scream and whine, turn down his hearing aids and tell them to yell themselves out because he can't hear them anymore and offer to escort them out of the store.

Working holidays at Best Buy and toys r us has made me hate people in general.

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

You can ship anything you want to, as long as it isn't dangerous to handle (no sharp edges etc).

I once mailed a potato with just a label stuck on it to my brother while he was at boot camp. I wrote in sharpie on it that he could eat it if he got hungry.

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

Spirit blows, and frontier isn't much better. But more on topic, I don't work retail but I do work at the airport as a wheelchair pusher, so customer service is 90% if my job. I've been lucky to never have a passenger in my chair that was mad at me, but on the occasions I've been sent to baggage claim to pull Alaska's bags there have been some pricks for sure. One night there was a flight from Boston, and the bags were almost 40 minutes late, and as time was passing the passengers kept getting more agitated. A few had asked me already if I could look up their bags or tell them when they'd be there, but I don't work for Alaska, so all I could do was point them to the Alaska desk. One group of people were getting very pissy with me. Now I definitely understand, it sucks rear end to lose your bag, and they might have been in a hurry idk. An announcement got made that the flight got moved to a different carousel. I had to walk around and tell the passengers though because of course they didn't hear it, and they are incapable of reading the sign above the carousel. So this group of cheery 30 somethings starts storming over there, and they change the carousel back to the one I was by. Very understandable to get angry about this, but don't deathstare me and say "If it's not here I'm gonna be pissed!" and then after I check the bags and confirm it's your flight and personally tell you, you say to me, someone in a clearly non-airline uniform, "I've heard that before" with the same deathstare. I've told everyone who was listening that there was nothing I could do, talk to the desk, they'll give you info and vouchers, leave me alone and don't try to tgreaten me with some "they better be!" bullshit.

I'll probably remember a some more, but most of my anger at this job comes from management. Oh and btw, if you need wheelchair assistance when you fly, please tip.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Glenn Quebec posted:

Imo you should work somewhere tied to a skill set other than "warm body"

I do, and quite happily so, but if I was ever so horribly down on my luck that it was "customer service or starve" there's still no way I would work something like an airline check-in counter.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Blockade posted:

I once mailed a potato with just a label stuck on it to my brother while he was at boot camp. I wrote in sharpie on it that he could eat it if he got hungry.

I ordered a muffler for my sister's giant SUV and they literally just slapped a FedEx label on the drat thing. I needed a heat gun and a bunch of Goo Gone to get it off :mad:

e: the FedEx driver said it was not even close to the weirdest un-packaged item he'd ever delivered though

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

Munchables posted:

Oh and btw, if you need wheelchair assistance when you fly, please tip.

Lol because life isn't bad enough when you can't walk

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

ArtIsResistance posted:

Lol because life isn't bad enough when you can't walk

I wasn't trying to be rude, it's just a customary thing because we're a service job and people under like 40 tend not to tip

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

So wait, your whole job is pushing people in wheelchairs around the airport?

I mean I guess I can believe that a decent-sized airport has enough flyers that would need that service but I always assumed that wheelchair pushing was just part of the job description for the general airport maintenance crew or whatever.

Do you get to drive those big golf cart things too? All the guys who drive those things at the airports here drive around like entitled jerks and beep their little horns at everyone constantly.

I don't know that I would even think to tip in a situation like that, I honestly always assumed all the various airport jobs were mostly unionized and therefore all making at least decent money off it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

At my airport at least we have only a few things our company does. We push wheelchairs, which is what I do, we pull bags off of Alaskas carousels in the evening, we have skycaps and charters. Skycaps do the check-in and bags for passengers once they step on the curb (only in the morning I think) and make like 400 in tips a day from what I've heard, and charters are like tsa for private flights like sports teams or celebrities. We don't have any golf carts but really there's no need because the longest distance any passenger will go, unless they've got some kind of weird connection, is about 2/3 of a mile. A call can take anywhere from 15 minutes to 45 on average, but international flights can take upwards of 2 hours sometimes. Generally, afaik, we also help the passenger transport their luggage from baggage claim, but at my airport the chairs have nowhere to carry their bags so if they're completely alone then we have to find some way to manage all their bags and get them to their rental car or taxi or whatever. We only recently unionized, but the union wasn't able to negotiate for a wage increase, though I've heard they got us a dollar increase now that the minimum wage has gone up. A lot of the people working this job have second jobs, and we, afaik, are the only company at the airport that doesn't get any benefits. Like I said before, most of my problems aren't with customers. There's a large amount of nepotism and favoritism and worker's rights issues, but those have gone down considerably as the union came about. I've been here almost a year, and my second day I almost didn't get a lunch break because the supervisor wasn't getting a replacement for me and the guy training me while we were on bags (which we had never been trained to do, and there's no training ever done for it). There are a ton of issues with organization and management and I'm honestly surprised we got the bid to keep our contracts with the airlines, but I guess being cheap still works even if you gently caress up a lot.

e: this might be better suited to an A/T thread or something, so if you guys don't want this stuff in here I'll butt out

• Locked thread