Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Hughes arguably made a bigger impact as a writer. Vacation, Christmas Vacation, Pretty in Pink, The Great Outdoors, both Home Alones, Beethoven, and 101 Dalmations.

He directed 3 or 4 beloved movies too of course, but the I think the quality of the ones he wrote is just as high and there are more of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The two most American directors are John Hughes and David Lynch.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

ruddiger posted:

John Ford man, John Ford.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Picked up Blow Up and Being There.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
I really liked Playtime, is there another must see Tati or should I just bite the bullet and get the box set?

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

mod sassinator posted:

I really liked Playtime, is there another must see Tati or should I just bite the bullet and get the box set?

Bite the bullet.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Detective No. 27 posted:

Anyone recommend Vengeance is Mine?

I found it kinda dull tbh

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Picked up Blow-Up, The Lodger, Being There, Tampopo, and Straw Dogs. The last two are blind-buys based on stuff I've read here.

They also had The Iron Giant, which I haven't seen anywhere at any store and it went on backorder on Amazon.

mod sassinator posted:

Mr. Hulot's Holiday and Mon Oncle are great, too. Even if you only like those two other films, it's like you're getting the other three for free.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

ruddiger posted:

I know whimsical contrarianism is sorta the default CineD schtick, but I no poo poo think Bob Clark and Hal Needham are two directors that have tremendous reach in American cinema that isn't properly understood or appreciated because they worked in stuff that was largely considered mainstream fluff.

You could have made the same case for, say, Roger Corman like twenty years ago or so, but I feel like there's a more general recognition of his contributions these days. Same, although to a lesser extent, with Russ Meyer.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

friendo55 posted:

This whole sorting this is out of hand.... I like the Tupperware one best.

So the sale begins tomorrow, right?

If I wanted to get one of these [along with Stalker] which one would you recommend?

Woman on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown
Hopscotch
They Live By Night

I'm kind of late to the party, and I have only seen Hopscotch from that list. Based on what the others said, you might leave out Hopscotch. I own the movie and am a big Walter Matthau fan, but this is probably a movie most people would watch and enjoy only once

morestuff posted:

Yep. I understand this is the Criterion thread but I'd strongly suggest just picking up this DVD with Cat People, The Curse of the Cat People, I Walked With a Zombie, and The Body Snatcher if you were considering a blind buy. It's cheaper than just picking up the Cat People Criterion, even on sale.

I imagine it looks terrific on blu-ray, though

I recommend just buying both

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jul 12, 2017

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

GonSmithe posted:

I got Stalker, Blood Simple and Blow Out because I'm a little tight on money right now. Stalker and Blow Out are blind buys, I'm very excited for both.

Wait doesn't stalker come out next Tuesday?

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
I'm a pretty casual animation nerd, would the Brakhage anthology set be a good purchase? I really, say, Hertfeldt's stuff but I'm worried I might not enjoy it beyond a basic "oh I guess I can see how this was influential" level.

Other than that I'm thinking I'll get Solaris, Mulholland Drive and maybe something else ie Brakhage or I dunno, Rififi?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Stan Taylor posted:

I'm a pretty casual animation nerd, would the Brakhage anthology set be a good purchase? I really, say, Hertfeldt's stuff but I'm worried I might not enjoy it beyond a basic "oh I guess I can see how this was influential" level.

Other than that I'm thinking I'll get Solaris, Mulholland Drive and maybe something else ie Brakhage or I dunno, Rififi?

A lot of his stuff is on YouTube so I'd at least poke around there first

https://youtu.be/XaGh0D2NXCA

https://youtu.be/NAoTHILzheo

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
The Les Blank set is necessary for all.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I just rewatched Blow Out the other day, it rules.

Agreed, Blow Out is good as hell. I'm strongly considering picking up Gates of Heaven and Eraserhead, and possibly The Ballad of Narayama.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Needed to shore up my doc game so I got the Les Blank collection and Thin Blue Line, plus Stalker and Dheepan.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Il Sorpasso
Bicycle Thieves
La Notte
L'Avventura
Life Aquatic
Ghost World
My Winnipeg
Martin Scorcese's World Cinema Project Vol. 2

Watching the second season of Master of None may have guided my purchases a bit.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

The_Rob posted:

Wait doesn't stalker come out next Tuesday?

They do 50% off on pre-order items also

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Someone talk me into/out of blind buying the following:

The Blob
His Girl Friday
Paths of Glory
Traffic

I am not good with money.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Paths of Glory is a pro-buy.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The Blob is really fun, especially if you dig 50's b-movies.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I bought Traffic on the last sale. I remembered it being kinda corny but on a rewatch it was really loving great.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Xenomrph posted:

The Blob
His Girl Friday
Paths of Glory
Traffic

Paths of glory is must buy. It's a awesome anti war film with Kirk Douglas being awesome and Stanley Kubrick directing.
His girl Friday is a super fun movie that has one of the strongest scripts. Can not go wrong with either of these

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Xenomrph posted:

The Blob
His Girl Friday
Paths of Glory
Traffic

The Blob is a way better 50s monster movie than I expected. I watched it on Filmstruck, but the Blu-Ray probably really pops since the colors are amazing.

Paths of Glory is one of many great Kubrick movies, but it's probably his first masterpiece (even though The Killing is amazing too).

It's been years since I've seen His Girl Friday, but I remember it being funny.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Xenomrph posted:

The Blob
His Girl Friday
Paths of Glory
Traffic

If you don't buy His Girl Friday you should autoban TBH

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

GonSmithe posted:

They do 50% off on pre-order items also

It's funny because I used to work at Barnes and noble and don't remember anyone ever doing that. Well I guess it's time to pre order stalker.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Xenomrph posted:

The Blob
His Girl Friday
Paths of Glory
Traffic

I watched The Blob on Hulu back when they still carried Criterion flicks and it was pretty enjoyable but I don't think it'd be worth a blind buy. I'm not sure about the special features but the movie itself was pretty forgettable outside the goofy theme song and a young Steve McQueen. It was kind of boring in the way that a lot of old B-Movies are. Worth a watch for sure but I've not felt compelled to pick it up myself.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I like The Blob, but I like the remake better. It has been a while since I've seen either of them. That would be a good double feature.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Okay a few more:

The Great Dictator
Robinson Crusoe on Mars
Brazil
It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World

Getting a higher paying job has its perks. Maybe I should just get a Filmstruck subscription.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Got Straw Dogs and watched it this evening. What a tightly wound movie, definitely need to rewatch with the commentary.

Other buys:

Pan's Labyrinth
Ride With the Devil
Stalker

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Xenomrph posted:

Okay a few more:

The Great Dictator
Robinson Crusoe on Mars
Brazil

Getting a higher paying job has its perks. Maybe I should just get a Filmstruck subscription.

Great Dictator is my absolute favorite Chaplin and a wonderful film. Robinson Crusoe is a decent flick, but I'm not sure I'd blind buy unless you're really into 60's sci-fi aesthetics. It's visually interesting but drags a bit in the middle.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I picked up:

The Manchurian Candidate
Being John Malkovich
Paths of Glory
(blind buy)

I'll likely go back for some more after my next paycheck.

But now it's time to go home and watch the Shout Factory collector's edition of Species that just came in the mail. Cinema! :v:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I'm kind of surprised to see that people posting in this thread hadn't seen Paths of Glory before, what with Kubrick's name attached to it and all.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Raxivace posted:

I'm kind of surprised to see that people posting in this thread hadn't seen Paths of Glory before, what with Kubrick's name attached to it and all.

Paths of Glory and The Killing have sat in my Wish List for years but I always forget about them

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam
Just got:

Eraserhead
Mulholland Drive (thank Twin Peaks for these two)
Belle de Jour
Young Girls of Rochefort
Stalker

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Paths of Glory and The Killing have sat in my Wish List for years but I always forget about them
The Killing is pretty good too! Check it out!

If you don't I'm going to make fun of you, you Big Mean Jerk!

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The Killing is an awesome noir and has one of the best casts ever. Also, it has Kubrick's second feature Killer's Kiss as an extra and it's really good, too.

Xenomrph posted:

Okay a few more:

The Great Dictator
Robinson Crusoe on Mars
Brazil

Brazil is an essential purchase. It's one of those releases that defines what a Criterion release is. Great film, too.

I think The Great Dictator is Chaplin's last masterpiece, but the way it handles the Holocaust may rub people the wrong way.

Robinson Crusoe on Mars is a weird, but fun sci-fi.

Mad World isn't for everyone, but if you can stand a 3 hour comedy that lacks any sort of subtlety, it's a lot of fun. The general release and bulk of the extended cut comes from a 4K transfer of the 65mm camera negative, so it looks stunning.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Raxivace posted:

To those who have not, get off the computer and watch it now. Its an amazing film and one of the best anti war films ever made.

Egbert Souse posted:

I think The Great Dictator is Chaplin's last masterpiece, but the way it handles the Holocaust may rub people the wrong way.

Chaplin said that if he knew what was actually happening he would have never made the movie.

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jul 12, 2017

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Xenomrph posted:

Okay a few more:

The Great Dictator
Robinson Crusoe on Mars
Brazil

Great Dictator is the best Chaplin, and that speech still resonates today.

Brazil is loving Brazil, get it, especially if you haven't seen it yet.

I really enjoyed Mad World, but holy poo poo it is a 3 hour comedy. But just the amount of comedy legendry on screen, even if it's only a cameo, is pretty goddamn amazing. I legitimately cannot think of another comedy that can be properly called an epic. Bonus is that you get to understand more references made on The Simpsons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

GrandpaPants posted:

Great Dictator is the best Chaplin, and that speech still resonates today.

Its one of his top but still think Modern Times or City Lights are the best Chaplins. Great Dictator is not as tight as those two films and its him trying to figure out how to make a talkie. You get some of his classic slapstick in it, and those are the stronger scenes outside of the speech.