Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lonely Virgil
Oct 9, 2012

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

even reddit knows this guy's slime and is telling her to take him to the cleaners, she's just scared to ask for what she's owed all around

I [16M] am caught into an argument between my two sisters [24F&25F]. My sister boyfriend [27M] is this really high end chef and my other sister wants him to cook for free at her wedding. The bride is blaming me.

There was a post on reddit from a pastry chef from when they were a first year student their friend wanted them to cater an equally large wedding by themselves and pay half the cost for the ingredients. As their "gift" to the bride and groom. The bride wanted loving roasted duck for 200 people which would be $2,000 or so right out of the OP's pocket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

ArbitraryC posted:

Do they really think the reason people cheat and lie about it is to protect their partner's feelings rather than the much more obvious "to avoid consequences for my actions".

They do because based on that one post they only think about their own happiness and don't really take the other person into consideration at all.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Haifisch posted:

None in the /r/relationships thread, but he also posted in /r/polyarmory and: :words:

Not her fault, not her fault ever that she's a horrible person. Lol at all these pathetic people.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
Though to be honest the one penis policy is a pretty funny thing, like for bi girls that are poly just don't agree to it, it's that simple. Find a poly dude that doesn't impose lopsided restrictions. That "I started things off with an "only girls" rule because I figured he'd eventually let me ride other dudes" strategy not only seems ineffective from the stories posted, but honestly a bit insulting to their sexuality.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Keyword" Military"

My [23M] girlfriend [23F] (of 2 years) wanted me to send a photo of my military ID so her father (not military) could get military discounts. I said no and she's upsetRelationships

quote:

My girlfriend is visiting her father, so she's out of state right now. Out of the blue, she asked me if I could send her a copy of my military ID for her father to use to try and get military discounts.
I'm active duty military, and I think this is a terrible idea. First of all, it's a security risk. Second of all, I don't think it's ethically right. He did not serve, and I don't want him using my name or the military's image to try and be cheap.
I explained this to her, and she thinks I'm being dumb. I'm just trying to get her to understand that I don't think it's ethically right. I'm now getting the silent treatment. We've been dating for 2 years, and I was hoping we were past the point of silent treatments.
Anyone have any advice on how to approach this?
tl;dr: Won't let girlfriend's dad use my ID for military discounts. She gets mad. What do?

STOLEN VALOR

My [32f] ex-military husband [35m] has started training my son[12m]Non-Romantic

quote:

My husband is a former military officer who left the military after 10 years of service and went into civilian work.
My husband had previously expressed an interest in early exposure to physical fitness and military training for our son to better prepare him for life but I said I wasn’t ready for that. My husband for his credit, wanted to start as early as 8 but I convinced him to wait until he was a little older so he had more time to grow but I still think 12 is way too early.
While I have no problem with the military, I had a problem with regimenting our son so much. I was raised in a fairly free-flowing household and my parents never really exacted that much regiment or schedule or structure in our lives and let us do stuff within reason. My parents were hippies and his father was a career military officer and family was military.
My husband has my son on an exercise, nutrition and a firearms training program he came up with. My son no longer has any free time outside of school, schoolwork and these programs and my husband only allows him to see friends or have breaks on Sundays.
He no longer does any clubs at school or sees his friends any other times then once a week on Sundays. My husband picks him up at school every day, brings him home, sits him at the dinner table where he does his school work, does an hour of exercise before eating, getting 30 minutes of TV or computer games and then bed. My husband makes him do 45 minutes of calisthenics and running in the mornings too. My son is up at 5AM every day to run with his Dad and is in bed every night by 9PM at the latest.
Saturdays my husband takes him to the firing range where he instructs him. I tried to tell my husband to wait until my son was older especially for the firearms but my husband basically said no and took him anyway.
I don’t think it’s healthy for a 12 year old to be so regimented or exposed to guns, but I don’t know how to bring up my concerns with my husband. My son complains a little bit about the exercise and the wake up/lights out times but seems fine with everything else..
Is this healthy for my son? Do I try and do anything? I tried talking with my husband about it but he shut my out and said its for his own good and his son needs to be ready to face the world and its problems and I don’t know how to effectively bring up my concerns about it.
tl;dr - my son is in a training regiment that my husband has put together and is being taken out of any sort of “recreational” activities I think are good for him. My husband cares about my son but I think he’s being too controlling with this

isn't this the plot of a damon wayans movie?

My (31m) girlfriend (25f) of two years "uncovered" my military background. Says she's mortified of me and won't discuss.

quote:

I joined the USMC out of highschool in 2000 and served until 2006. Enlisted in infantry and ultimately made my way to the middle east during our ongoing war in Iraq and AF.
After all of this was over, I packed away anything I had of it and swore away from any violence unless it was deemed necessary.
I have a nice career now and life seems great. I met her about 2 1/2 years ago through a school program I needed to further my career.
She's one of the nicest most sincere and realistic woman I've ever met and we would do everything together. Somehow service never came up because I've done much more than that since and its all but irrelevant at this point.
Anyway, We start dating and she ultimately moves in to my home. Upon asking her to move some stuff in the garage, she comes across my box with photographs, medals, and other souviners I've collected during my service.
Upon quizzing me about it, I obviously admit seeing its no big deal. She then freaks on me and calls me all kinds of nasty names. Generally shows an incredible disgust for me, like I killed her dog.
She now doesn't want to speak with me and has been giving me the cold shoulder for the past two days.
I ask, what should I do? I don't think I've done much wrong and if she ever asked or brought it up, id proudly say I served. I'm not leading some double life or ever tried to keep it a secret. I believe it may be that she doesn't know exactly what I've done there and assumes the worst but I really have no clue.
Tldr- girlfriend found my military paraphanalia and thinks I'm a disgusting person.

i'm with the girlfriend on this, imagine the horror of realizing you'd been unwittingly dating a marine

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

lol at the girlfriend in that last one, she's a retard

So is the dad in the middle one though. Fucks he tryna do there.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I bet she called him a baby killer or something dumb. What an idiot, he's not even in the military anymore.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
I could almost understand the last one if she was younger, I knew some dumb teenagers who assumed it was basically impossible to be in the military without being a child killing rapist, 25 seems well past the point you should have a more nuanced opinion than that tho.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

on reflection i think the last one must be fake because the idea of a recently separated former marine who doesn't go around hooting about how he was in the marines orrah just doesn't sound plausible.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Viva Miriya posted:

lol at the girlfriend in that last one, she's a retard

So is the dad in the middle one though. Fucks he tryna do there.

Prepare his son to take on Skynet.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

on reflection i think the last one must be fake because the idea of a recently separated former marine who doesn't go around hooting about how he was in the marines orrah just doesn't sound plausible.

what branch were you in because lol that you believe this

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Viva Miriya posted:

what branch were you in because lol that you believe this

i'll give you a hint it's the worst, gooniest one. :v:

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

my military background.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
The second one reminds me of that episode of American Dad where Stan and Francine each raise clones of their son to see who is the better parent, and Stan's son goes apeshit on him over all the pressure.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

i'll give you a hint it's the worst, gooniest one. :v:

navy

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Chair force.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Warbadger posted:

Chair force.

No way.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I did work with Navy dudes when I did the AFN stuff, but I was USAF. :drugnerd:

Me [25 M] with my girlfriend [23 F] of 3 years. She is freaking out about my potential career.Relationships

quote:

I will keep this as short as possible. A few years ago I applied to my country's air force to be a pilot, knowing that the odds of me actually getting in were extremely small. I first applied a few months after meeting my gf, Amy.
I've gotten further in the application process than I thought I ever would, and soon I will be doing a few tests in another city. If I pass these tests then me getting into the air force becomes a somewhat realistic possibility but if I fail it's done. My girlfriend is freaking out about this and told me that if I get into the air force she would have to leave me.
Honestly I don't blame her, if I do become an air force pilot I will most likely have to live near an airfield in the middle of nowhere in this vast country. Well before she had this freak out I expected this to happen, and I can't expect her to uproot her life for me to follow my dream. She even said she would not mind following me if it was to a decent sized city. She said she wants a man with a stable job in a normal city and that she made this clear to me, which to be fair she did, and she wants to raise a family in a stable environment, something the military may not guarantee.
My question is the basic age old dilemma: career or love. I am truly in love with this girl and I see myself getting married and raising a family with her. However, being a pilot in the air force is my dream but now she has me second guessing it. Every year there are thousands of applicants for about 100-120 pilot positions and I feel like it would be crazy to turn the offer down if I ever got one.
I also forgot to mention that I got let go from a typical office job recently which I absolutely hated and in the heat of the moment i told her I would never be happy with an office type job, even though I have a business degree and I am limited to those kind of jobs. That is what partially caused her freak out, and later on I told her that if i don't get in the air force I'm sure that I will find a career I can enjoy and that my rant about office jobs was when I was emotional about losing my job.

IDK I'd need to know which countries air force duder.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

You know how slavery apologists say the Confederacy formed over "States Rights?" But everyone knows people don't propose to radically alter a working arrangement for an abstraction, so it immediately makes you ask "States rights to do what?"

When someone proposes opening the relationship, it's never, ever a proposition that just sprang up as an abstract idea about how the relationship should work. They have a very specific "to whom" already in mind. And maybe in body.

Missouri is the best state because they already had an open relationship grandfathered in and were fine with the Fed telling new couples what they could or couldn't do with their marriage licenses.

Mizzurrah, proudly fighting for the Union while owning slaves!

nerd plus rage
May 12, 2014

It's a metaphor for something, probably
lol @ the marine trying to defend his pointless gay branch against the mean people in the R/Relationships thread.

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

My (31m) girlfriend (25f) of two years "uncovered" my military background. Says she's mortified of me and won't discuss.
How do you go 2 1/2 years knowing someone without ever getting into their life between the ages of 18-24, one of the most formative, interesting, and eventful periods of a person's life? They're both garbage people, her for being so closeminded and completely incurious about her partner's history, and him for being such a socially and/or emotionally stunted closed book that he never volunteered this information.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

nerd plus rage posted:

lol @ the marine trying to defend his pointless gay branch against the mean people in the R/Relationships thread.

What if we get into a littoral conflict? Who's gonna be laughing about the Marines then?

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

nerd plus rage posted:

I'm not a marine hth.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Pvt.Scott posted:

What if we get into a littoral conflict? Who's gonna be laughing about the Marines then?

Like any marine knows how to apply litorral stimulation.

Anony Mouse posted:

How do you go 2 1/2 years knowing someone without ever getting into their life between the ages of 18-24, one of the most formative, interesting, and eventful periods of a person's life? They're both garbage people, her for being so closeminded and completely incurious about her partner's history, and him for being such a socially and/or emotionally stunted closed book that he never volunteered this information.

Yeah that's super strange. What kind of courtship do you have where that kind of thing doesn't come out at the "getting to know you phase," let alone at some point over the next 24 months?

I mean if she literally never asked I guess he didn't lie but seriously how does it not come up. I think the last several people I've gone out with at some point the "did you go to college" "well first I joined the USAF out of high school" exchange comes up in the first few dates, and I'm an Old for whom that's over a decade and a half ago.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jul 11, 2017

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

You know how slavery apologists say the Confederacy formed over "States Rights?" But everyone knows people don't propose to radically alter a working arrangement for an abstraction, so it immediately makes you ask "States rights to do what?"

Anyone citing states rights as the reason for the CSA seceding is also wrong. One of the main complaints Southern states had was that the federal government wasn't doing enough to enforce federal fugitive slave laws in Northern states.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
He posted an update and yeah she totally thought he was a babykilling monster because she's an idiot and after they talked about his stories he lost it sank in that he did in fact not murder children for sport.

Why it never came up before then is a bit confusing i guess but i mean maybe he just didn't want to talk about it and she never asked, sounds like they started dating when he was ~29 so it's possible she never really asked him about his college life.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

I dunno. All the vets at my college don't exactly advertise and seem to be there to get their degree and get out. Maybe he just really didn't wanna talk about it and never advertised it? He was a infantry guy, he probably saw some poo poo. Why talk about it with someone who wouldn't get it?

Still lol it took that long to come out.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

ArbitraryC posted:

He posted an update and yeah she totally thought he was a babykilling monster because she's an idiot and after they talked about his stories he lost it sank in that he did in fact not murder children for sport.

Why it never came up before then is a bit confusing i guess but i mean maybe he just didn't want to talk about it and she never asked, sounds like they started dating when he was ~29 so it's possible she never really asked him about his college life.

There are kind of a lot of people out there from super insular enclaves who if they like you will just sort of assume you have lived a life exactly like them and share exactly their values, and will brush off any inconclusive evidence to the contrary until you force them to look directly at your horrible alien visage.

otoh

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

i'm with the girlfriend on this, imagine the horror of realizing you'd been unwittingly dating a marine

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jul 11, 2017

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

cumshitter posted:

Anyone citing states rights as the reason for the CSA seceding is also wrong. One of the main complaints Southern states had was that the federal government wasn't doing enough to enforce federal fugitive slave laws in Northern states.

So basically they wanted the economic security that comes with a relationship without the responsibility to actually be faithful to it. The metaphor still holds up!

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
Most of the stories he told her when they looked through his old things together went along the lines of "oh yeah he was a great guy with a loving family back home, but then he died" so I can sorta see why he wouldn't just randomly bring it up for shits n giggles.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

ArbitraryC posted:

I hope she didn't take him back. That poor woman is gonna get murder/suicided

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Me [24F] with a guy [23M] I've been seeing for 3 months. I discovered that he has a confederate flag hanging on his bedroom wall.Relationships

quote:

We've been seeing each other for a few months, but last night was the first time we went back to his place. We went into his bedroom and fooled around. It was dark, so I could really see it then, but when we started cleaning up, he turned on the lights and there it was.
He noticed me staring at it and explained that he brought it with him to NYC to remind him of home. He's originally from the south and moved here for law school, and he said it was a way for him to remember his southern roots and his family. I tried not to think about it again, but I don't know how comfortable I am with his explanation. I know that he has a number of friends that are minorities, so I feel pretty confident saying that he's not racist. However, he does occasionally make some comments that are a bit off. They're not really racist just a bit insensitive.
I just wonder if I should view this as a red flag and get out. I know that he views this as part of his history and heritage, but I guess it bothers me that he refuses to see how anyone could see this as a symbol of racism/oppression (we talked some about the SC flag controversy).
tl;dr: Guy I've been dating has a confederate flag on his wall to remind him of home (i.e. the south). He seems normal and not racist, but I question whether I should take this as a huge red flag and get out.

has the turn of phrase ever been this literal?

My son's [10M] grandfather [65M] gifted him a confederate flag that has been in their family for generations to display in his bedroom. Husband [37M] and I [37F] [together 14 years] disagree over what to do.Non-Romantic

quote:

My husband and his family have lived in state of GA, which is where we live currently, since the 1730s. They very much have their roots in the land (so to speak). I say this because as long as I have know my father-in-law he has always took great pride in this, as well as the part their family played in the American Civil War. I've never been comfortable with this (mainly because of his personal views about the war), but it's not my place to tell him what to do or how to think.
Our oldest son just recently (last week) had his 10th birthday and FIL decided to pass on to him a confederate flag that has been in their family since the 1920s. It was originally woven/created by one of his great(?)-grandmothers, so there is some quite obvious sentimental value attached.
This all happened at the party, so neither husband nor I had any idea FIL was planning on giving this gift to our son. I mentioned to FIL afterwards that I was surprised and not entirely comfortable with the gift, but he was adamant about it being past time our son learned about their family's legacy/heritage. I didn't exactly know what to say and didn't want to cause a scene, so I let it go.
The problem is that FIL expects our son to mount the flag on his wall. He apparently spent a lot of money to have it framed for that reason and was very upset when he found out yesterday that we had not put it up on our son's bedroom wall yet. He was very pushy (going so far as to accuse my husband of "letting liberals in SC and other outsiders run you life") with my husband, and now my husband thinks we should just let his father have his way because it is easier than causing a family dispute over it.
I told my husband that I was not okay with this because I thought displaying it would send the wrong message to our son. I definitely think he should know his family's history. I even think it would be okay for him to keep the flag, but I don't think he should glorify some of the things they did. Husband, for his part, doesn't so much care about the history/heritage part as just getting his father off of his back. I can understand the pressure he feels to make his father happy, but I don't think this is a situation where we should compromise. He has suggested we put it up whenever his father is over, but again, I think that would be sending the wrong message to our son (i.e. glorifying the confederacy). Maybe I should reconsider? I think I am right in principal, but I don't know if I should try to compromise to keep my husband and his father happy. It also doesn't help that most everyone else in the family will probably support FIL's position.

I mean this sounds like it's not just a printed-in-china thing and actually is a piece of "history" on the other hand it's a traitor rag, so maybe donate it to a museum or put it in an amoire with some mothballs?

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
light it on fire in front of the father in law and then piss on it I say. then you won't have to worry about it because he'd likely have a heart attack and keel over dead

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Just wait til his fifteenth birthday when he's finally old enough to inherit his great-grandpappy's Klan hood

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Now that I think about it a good and fair compromise would probably be to lend it to a museum or state park or something for display. That way it can stay in the family and the FIL might be pleased that its hanging somewhere with a placate underneath "this flag donated courtesy of racist shitheads"

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

I wouldn't burn an authentic Rising Sun flag or Nazi parade banner. poo poo belongs in a museum, or at least in a museum basement with a catalogue tag on it, so dudes writing boring sperg books about what color trim soldiers had on their left boot cuff during the first month of the winter campaign can use it as reference material. I don't see why old Confederate flags should be different.

:heritage:

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Confederate flag from the 20's? That's prime lynchin' years, that flags seen a few men, women, and children hung from trees for having the wrong skin tone on a Saturday night.

gently caress the Confederacy and all who glorify it.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

It's not clear if the provenance is post-war from the vague timeline, sounds like it could be from the 20th century-- which would color my opinion on it as a troublesome but legitimate historical artefact versus a contemporary piece of racist iconography.

Hey it's the guy from OitnB

Me [29 M] with my incarcerated GF [27] of and on for 10 years. She's going to be imprisoned for a few years, and has given me free reign to explore my options. How do I go about it?Dating

quote:

Me and the GF have a lot of history together, and things have been rocky at times but overall they've been pretty good. Things were great before she went away, but she's made some poor life decisions that have landed her a fairly lengthy sentence of around six years.
The trial itself has been rough. I've been to all the visitations, put money into her commissary, and talk to her fairly frequently on the phone. She's been in there since May of last year, and we held out for hope until a couple months ago when she finally got sentenced, and we knew for a fact she'd be going away for awhile.
It was after that that we basically had the talk. She understands that there are certain needs she's just not able to meet anytime soon. She ostensibly encouraged me to see other people, to "take opportunities when they come up." She knows I've only been with three other women, and that she has been my only serious relationship, and really doesn't want me to hold out for her sake.
We both know that just having sex without attachment is a fool's errand. Basically her rules are don't get with her friends, and if anything serious develops to let her know.
I really love her, and truly believe her when she says I'm going to go out there and not find anything better than what we had together. But at the same time, I don't want her to come out of prison in a few years to a guy that's been sexless, lonely, and miserable for years on end.
That all seems well and fine, but herein lies the problem. The few women I've talked to over this time are immensely turned off by me having a girlfriend in prison. I'm pretty forthcoming with this information fairly early on, because it feels pretty lovely keeping it a secret. But it's almost like I'm "not single" in all technicality.
So what should I do? Hold out on this information til later on? Is that fair to the women I may be getting involved with? I'm okay with NSA sex here and there but I'm not foolish to believe that it's really that easy, and I fully admit I'm the type to develop "the feels" fairly often after intimacy. I know this is unconventional but I could really use the advice.

Plenty of people give the sensible advice of "just break up you moron."

(the replies get him to out what the "poor life decisions" were and he cops to it being a DUI collision that resulted in multiple bodily injuries.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Werong Bustope posted:

Edit: "It's bad to lie to your partner but I'm a good person so my lie must be virtuous."

Kind of a tangent, but this is how modern evangelicalism works. They start with "I am good" and then work backwards.