Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

OldTennisCourt posted:

I can't be the only person who always thinks of the DA from Law and Order when I hear this name.

No, I think this every time too. Doesn't help that Fred Thompson was also on Law and Order and was also actually in Congress as well, so I get his mug mentally mixed in there alongside it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

lol, quoting for quick recall.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Really have to love this one since Jr dumped the emails himself and confirmed everything before the NYT and its anonymous source

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I do like how something truly damaging comes out against Trump and *suddenly* there are huge conspiracies against the DNC that no one ever heard of before.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
This seems to have really hardened the left/right divide in America

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

No Safe Word posted:

No, I think this every time too. Doesn't help that Fred Thompson was also on Law and Order and was also actually in Congress as well, so I get his mug mentally mixed in there alongside it.

Since we're SLIGHTLY on topic, I'm rewatching L&O again and Serena is the most annoying character ever

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:
Lollll arm flailing

http://thehill.com/blogs/pundits-blog/media/341493-opinion-forget-don-jrs-email-its-hillary-clinton-who-colluded-with

OPINION | Forget Don Jr.'s email — it's Hillary Clinton who 'colluded' with Russia

repeating
Nov 14, 2005
Yes, the last nearly 25 years have done that.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Rinkles posted:

Pardon my ignorance of the law, but is anything we know about the meeting, the set up and people involved, actionable as the facts stand now?

Yes, here is a good run down

https://www.vox.com/world/2017/7/10/15950590/donald-trump-jr-new-york-times-illegal

It at minimum violates a number of Federal Election Laws, at an absolute minimum

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Fox is officially on the "He released the emails himself and is therefore innocent. Also, he got nothing out of the meeting." message train.

quote:

Anchor Julie Banderas cut into a discussion with two guests about how the initial New York Times article about the meeting was less damaging than expected, with news of the Trump Jr. emails.
“I need to interrupt you both now because now, Donald Trump Jr. has just in fact dumped his email and full email chain on Twitter,” she said.

The anchor and guests began to grapple with this development, as Banderas summarized what is in the emails reading off her phone. She framed it initially as a media success for Trump, saying “the New York Times has been pretty much put at a halt here as far as any speculation surrounding what was said.”

She argued that the story seemed to line up with Trump Jr.’s lawyer’s statement and asked McCormack, “Does this get him a bit out of this mess?”

He replied that “it could,” compared this story to former President Bill Clinton’s legal troubles, and considered whether Trump Jr.’s decision to reveal the emails could be legally helpful.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

drat. I thought this Russia email thing was going to sink Trump, but Ted Cruz just ruled it out.

"If Russia reached out to Donald Trump Jr., who I'd remind you is a private citizen, it was because they sensed strength and wanted to avoid punishment from a strong American leader."

I know Cruz means Trump, but this line can also be read as "Russia wanted Trump to win because they were scared shitless of what Clinton would do to papa Putin and Russia for their bullshit."

NoDamage posted:

...if he is charged with contempt or perjury what's stopping Trump from pardoning him again?

They can just keep calling on them to testify until either they give up, Trump gives up, or they impeach Trump so he can't keep pardoning people.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Underwhelmed posted:

Why? poo poo is going down in the best possible way from the perspective of someone who wants to disrupt.

Yeah. It's worth pointing out that there isn't a lot of evidence that Russia's hacking attempts actually made any difference, or that they had any real influence on the election at all. You can explain Trump's win just fine through a combination of voter suppression and our lovely election system. Russia's goal here is probably just to create as much disruption as possible so they can do things in their own backyard without a strong US to stop them.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Reik posted:

Will this be streamed?

Not sure, I can't find anything, might be worth checking his Facebook

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Skippy Granola posted:

This seems to have really hardened the left/right divide in America

We're baking with animosity until we get a nice golden-brown crust.

repeating
Nov 14, 2005

quote:

"It's not a smoking gun, but it is a gun meeting with a Russian bullet about their mutual desire to smoke," Colbert says

http://www.rollingstone.com/tv/news/see-stephen-colbert-on-donald-trump-jrs-russia-meeting-w491687

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

NoDamage posted:

...if he is charged with contempt or perjury what's stopping Trump from pardoning him again?

Nothing. Would be interesting to see what happened to Trump's approval rating if he did so.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
How do we know Trump Jr. got nothing out of the meeting? Because he says so?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

mcmagic posted:

Nothing. Would be interesting to see what happened to Trump's approval rating if he did so.

Might tick all the way down to 37.9%

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
The thing that never ceases to amaze me is that these pundits are choosing to blatantly ignore something incredibly serious... to defend Trump jr.

The following is from a Hill article which I won't link because they don't deserve clicks for it, but-

quote:

As the Times stories aimed at Donald Trump Jr. emerged, Trump Jr. and those involved opted for transparency every step of the way.

...like what? He was literally lying about it yesterday.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Reik posted:

Correct, that's what's so crazy. Even their story is criminal. Reality can only be as bad or worse.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Fox is officially on the "He released the emails himself and is therefore innocent. Also, he got nothing out of the meeting." message train.

Honestly it's jarring to me that it took them a full six plus hours to come up with The Message.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

EatinCake posted:

The thing that never ceases to amaze me is that these pundits are choosing to blatantly ignore something incredibly serious... to defend Trump jr.

The following is from a Hill article which I won't link because they don't deserve clicks for it, but-

Yeah, he was only interested in being transparent when it became clear that the NYT had him dead to rights on the emails.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
When people start referring to this as an "everything bagel" instead of a "nothingburger" I want credit.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

What the hell do you do against a political elite that has absolutely no shame, consistency, or scruples? They don't give a gently caress if what they're doing is wrong or disingenuous, they'll just keep playing their stupid cards.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Quite possible they're the leakers. Putin's goal is chaos.

It's definitely my bet. American law isn't hidden or unknown to those interested in it. I think it's a safe assumption that a country in direct opposition of America for 70 years is aware of what is and isn't illegal, vis a vis meeting with a foreign spy and colluding to topple a political opponent.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

quote:

Rep. Marsha Blackburn (R-TN) said Republicans have always known Russia is “a bad actor.” She wants to know whether Trump Jr. was tricked into taking the meeting.

She added she’d like to know more about the Clinton Foundation’s links to Russia and former President Barack Obama’s conversations with the country.

“Let’s look at all of it holistically and let’s get to the bottom of what transpired with this and find out if Don Jr., if there was something that was a wrongdoing or if he was duped into taking a meeting on another issue,” she said.

"The Trump family doesn’t know when they’re making mistakes because they aren’t politicians. The media blows little incidents out of proportion by chasing the shiny object of the day."

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

EatinCake posted:

That article is written by a paid Trumpist stooge. What did you expect?

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

The Glumslinger posted:

Yes, here is a good run down

https://www.vox.com/world/2017/7/10/15950590/donald-trump-jr-new-york-times-illegal

It at minimum violates a number of Federal Election Laws, at an absolute minimum

Also, there's those pesky security clearance forms they're going to have to "amend" again.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
I keep seeing Pepes say only 3 of the original 17 intelligence agencies now believe Russia interfered in the election. I asusme this is just Pepe misquoting or outright fabrication?

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
I see the right wing propaganda machine is already trying to deflect this poo poo back onto Hillary, but I have to imagine that it's just plain not gonna loving work this time. I also don't get why they're trying to defend Trump Jr. He's basically offering himself up as a martyr at this point, so why don't you just throw his rear end right under the bus so Donnie Sr. can come out of this unscathed as he always does?

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

I thought, for just a second, "boy, they'll look loving ridiculous and discredited in a couple days when we find out the meeting was about the Podesta hacks," and then remembered we're talking about the RWM. Oh well.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Reik posted:

They've been putting out stories, letting them lie in response to them, and then dropping more poo poo disproving their lies. I'm hoping this will happen again in this case.

Ague Proof posted:

I keep seeing Pepes say only 3 of the original 17 intelligence agencies now believe Russia interfered in the election. I asusme this is just Pepe misquoting or outright fabrication?

It's a lie

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

paperwind posted:

I see the right wing propaganda machine is already trying to deflect this poo poo back onto Hillary, but I have to imagine that it's just plain not gonna loving work this time. I also don't get why they're trying to defend Trump Jr. He's basically offering himself up as a martyr at this point, so why don't you just throw his rear end right under the bus so Donnie Sr. can come out of this unscathed as he always does?

All they need to do it really get out some talking points that their rube base can believe and repeat to themselves over and over again.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Reik posted:

Does it matter? It's kind of like arguing that you shouldn't go to jail because the cop you thought was a prostitute never actually had sex with you. Except in this case the prostitute wasn't a cop, you just decided to go to the police station and confess anyway.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
If McDonald's put out a tweet of Donald Trump Jr. eating a "nothingburger" with "I'm loving it!" captioned I would be so happy.

Paradoxish posted:

Does it matter? It's kind of like arguing that you shouldn't go to jail because the cop you thought was a prostitute never actually had sex with you. Except in this case the prostitute wasn't a cop, you just decided to go to the police station and confess anyway.

No, it doesn't matter, I was just wondering how they knew he got nothing from the meeting.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

paperwind posted:

Because when one person finally gets thrown under the bus and that is actually his own flesh and blood, than no one else is proved sacred enough to keep in Donnie Sr's eyes. And thus the blood letting will begin.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
I love when Trump scandals drop everyone with an R next to their name scatters mumbling "deeply concerning if true" before rallying once they realize the pee video didn't drop yet and their interns get the memo on how to respond

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Clearly they're hoping that in a meeting with three campaign members, one Russian lawyer, and her translator, no one will contradict their statements that they didn't learn anything and she was just some hysterical broad.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Ague Proof posted:

It's false. The new talking point is that only 4 intel agencies said Russia did it, but that includes the FBI, the CIA, the NSA, as well as the office of the DNI (which oversees all 17 intel agencies).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Crabtree posted:

Because when one person finally gets thrown under the bus and that is actually his own flesh and blood, than no one else is proved sacred enough to keep in Donnie Sr's eyes. And thus the blood letting will begin.

There isn't going to be any bloodletting.

• Locked thread