Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

SirPhoebos posted:

PLD is bae right now. That may or may not persist, but I don't think it'll get significantly weaker before we get the next expansion. That said, PLD is still has a bit of a :shepicide: feel to leveling (this is based on the lldr runs where I don't have RA available.)

1200 base potency flash makes life easy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Ghost of Starman posted:

And just a general quality-of-life question, but - is there an easier way to switch between job classes than going into the Character pane, changing out their weapon, then clicking on the "equip recommended gear" button, etc. etc.? Any way to condense all that into a single easy step?

Hit the button right next to the 'equip recommended gear' button.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Ghost of Starman posted:

Hey all - just started, got my Pugilist up to 15, leveled Gladiator & Thaumaturge up to 10 each to see if I liked any of them better, and started dipping my toe into a few of the crafting professions too. I won't say I'm feeling 'lost,' but maybe 'overwhelmed' is the right word.
I guess, other than "plow forward into the story, dump all mission XP into main class" is there anything else I should be looking into? Anything I should think about spending my leves on? Or my gil?

And just a general quality-of-life question, but - is there an easier way to switch between job classes than going into the Character pane, changing out their weapon, then clicking on the "equip recommended gear" button, etc. etc.? Any way to condense all that into a single easy step?

Yes. On that character screen, near the recommended gear button, is another button to open up gear sets. Make a gear set by pressing the little + button at the top of the menu that appears, then drag the set to your hotbar.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Ghost of Starman posted:

Hey all - just started, got my Pugilist up to 15, leveled Gladiator & Thaumaturge up to 10 each to see if I liked any of them better, and started dipping my toe into a few of the crafting professions too. I won't say I'm feeling 'lost,' but maybe 'overwhelmed' is the right word.
I guess, other than "plow forward into the story, dump all mission XP into main class" is there anything else I should be looking into? Anything I should think about spending my leves on? Or my gil?

There's a button on the upper right of the character window that lets you save gear sets. It'll give your set a number, then you can drag that to a hotbar so you have a one click class swap.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Ghost of Starman posted:

MSQ is priority 1, since it gates everything in the game. Combat leves are garbage for XP, so save your allowances for crafting professions.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Touchfuzzy posted:

Wouldn't the gunblade she uses be van Hydrus', not van Baelsar's, seeing as she uses his x-blade laser attack? That what I thought, at least, unless I missed some bit of text that specifically said it was his. Then again, they both died, both blades look the same, and van Hydrus was pretty okay too, so at least some good garlean would be living on.

I would not attribute the X-attack to a matter of ownership. Turns out a lot of people use that X-attack. There's an antagonist's lieutenant in the SAM quests who also uses it.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
my happiness with the patch stories will be based on how hard we can murder that smug little poo poo Yuyuhase.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Mordiceius posted:

Hell loving yeah! Next Tuesday, when everyone is getting pumped for savage, I'm chain running Polis 2.0 all loving day. Let's be Polis bros.

I'm gonna test my theory that O1S will be puggable on Tuesday

Wednesday is map day

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

ImpAtom posted:

PLD is at the moment the hot poo poo tank.

Man, who would have thought anyone would ever had said this.

Glad I chose pld as my first tank job :)

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I would not attribute the X-attack to a matter of ownership. Turns out a lot of people use that X-attack. There's an antagonist's lieutenant in the SAM quests who also uses it.

The Garlean Gunblades are standard issue and everyone who uses them seems to have Innocence and the delayed X slash. Also it can't be van Hydrus' because remember, he used a Gun-claymore :v:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

nuru posted:

Somehow I knew someone would have to be the pedant here, and you win the prize. I know it's not daily, look at the bigger picture of my complaint.

I wasn't trying to be pedantic. I was just saying that there is plenty of things to do besides expert for tomestones and you don't need to run it at all to cap without effort.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

EponymousMrYar posted:

The Garlean Gunblades are standard issue and everyone who uses them seems to have Innocence and the delayed X slash. Also it can't be van Hydrus' because remember, he used a Gun-claymore :v:

The person who used it in the SAM quests was a Hyur, and was using a plain ol' katana.

Touchfuzzy
Dec 5, 2010

EponymousMrYar posted:

Yeah, but.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Truth Quark posted:

I would be Ok with a Fordola redemption story which is weird because during the MSQ I could not wait to kick her loving poo poo in.

I feel like "being made to realize that every evil thing she ever did, every fellow Ala Mhigan she tortured or killed, every time she knuckled under to Zenos in the hope that one day she wouldn't have to was completely unnecessary and pointless and she wasted her life" is a reasonable definition of having your loving poo poo kicked in.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Touchfuzzy posted:

Yeah, but.

Two more notches against that theory are that both died where it could be reasonable to assume that their blades couldn't be recovered and Zenos specifically said 'give your blade to the Butcher,' meaning said Garlean mauve shirt was being demoted in addition to giving her a Gunblade.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

The person who used it in the SAM quests was a Hyur, and was using a plain ol' katana.

Oh right, that battle. Pretty sure he was using crazy Hissatsu that we don't learn (although the second similar fight also has them and they're a rather close Guren analogue.)

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jul 11, 2017

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

I wasn't trying to be pedantic. I was just saying that there is plenty of things to do besides expert for tomestones and you don't need to run it at all to cap without effort.

Can you believe we're on year four+ of "cap tomes weekly to buy new gear from the same vendor"?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I'll rewatch the cutscene but iirc she reacts to it like its a famous fuckin gunblade and not just some dummy's, and I think they also refer to it by name but I can't remember what that name was (looking it up on FF wiki Gaius' sword was named Heirsbane).

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

homeless snail posted:

I'll rewatch the cutscene but iirc she reacts to it like its a famous fuckin gunblade and not just some dummy's, and I think they also refer to it by name but I can't remember what that name was (looking it up on FF wiki Gaius' sword was named Heirsbane).

I think it's just that gunblades carry a lot of prestige in the Garlean military. It's not that the sword itself is special--it's the very idea that she, an Ala Mhigan "savage," would be entrusted with a gunblade.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

nuru posted:

I don't like that Rhalgar's rebuilding is probably going to be our modern Revenant's Toll / Idyllshire considering the resistance already won and we could be chilling in Ala Mihgo or Kugane instead.

Interesting possible twist to this - if you go back to Yanxia after completing the MSQ you can still go back to that Doman residential area that ended the Doma arc - it has an actual area map, Hien is there, along with like a dozen NPCs and they're all talking about rebuilding the place (Triple Triad NPC there too, probably easily missed otherwise).

Considering that Rhalgr's Reach is basically "built" at this point and there isn't exactly incredible room for expansion like Mor Dhona or Idyllshire, it would be a nice change if other areas got to enjoy periodic improvements with the patch cycle, like Doma, or even the residential district in the Lochs.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
yeah, i think it's more that the gunblade is like a badge of office than the fact she was thinking she was given some kind of meaningful relic

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

EponymousMrYar posted:

If I were a betting man I'd put money that they're keeping these sorts of attacks distinctive to gunblade wielders to give them a solid "class identity" just in case they ever want to implement them as a Job in a future expansion.

Anyway I'd go with one of either Fordola or Yotsuyu joining the good guys. The other will double down in some way and end up working for the Ascians, rejoining the Empire somehow or otherwise going full bad guy.

Personally I could totally see Fordola as having an evil-version-of-Celes story arc. She just needs to get rescued from Resistance prison by evil-Locke or something. Honestly that spoil block probably isn't all that necessary, but just in case you know?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Yotsuyu will join the Scions and date my WoL

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Harrow posted:

Speaking of great music, I'd like to nominate the Azim Steppe theme for "drat near the best music in the expansion but it really needs a longer loop":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iR3yMqpaCrU&t=251s

Agreed. I immediately spent all my Centurio Seals on its orchestrion roll once I hit 70--much more important than dumb materia.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Yotsuyu will join the Scions and date my WoL

:same:

I can't see both of them getting reformed. They're both monsters with waaaaay too many kills under their belts, but I'd be really surprised if at least one of them doesn't get a redemption arc. I just don't see Lyse being all that convincing or charismatic, especially compared to who Yotsuyu's chillin' with...

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

yeah, i think it's more that the gunblade is like a badge of office than the fact she was thinking she was given some kind of meaningful relic

Really, don't even know how it can be anything else. Zenos murders an officer for his failure, picks up his gunblade, and hands it to Fordola basically promoting her. Like, it's the most cliche thing I can think of, besides a certain monologue at the end of the Doma Castle dungeon. No reason to read past that.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

SettingSun posted:

Really, don't even know how it can be anything else. Zenos murders an officer for his failure, picks up his gunblade, and hands it to Fordola basically promoting her. Like, it's the most cliche thing I can think of, besides a certain monologue at the end of the Doma Castle dungeon. No reason to read past that.

Zenos actually makes a still-living officer give his gunblade to Fordola, likely also demoting that officer. Or at least, that's how I remember it. It's not from one of the officers he killed.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Rand Brittain posted:

I feel like "being made to realize that every evil thing she ever did, every fellow Ala Mhigan she tortured or killed, every time she knuckled under to Zenos in the hope that one day she wouldn't have to was completely unnecessary and pointless and she wasted her life" is a reasonable definition of having your loving poo poo kicked in.
There's that, and there's that regardless of her progression, sacrifices and power given the WoL trounced her each and every time.

My potato's defeats against the big guy were unwelcome at first, but built in my mind my character must be obsessed with fighting that guy. She might have dumpstered gods, but his power injected humility and a terrible hunger into her. When 4.0 ended, I knew I'd have to take up a katana because he "got her" or at least what she's become.

I'm coming around to Fordola seeing the WoL the same way.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

nuru posted:

Can you believe we're on year four+ of "cap tomes weekly to buy new gear from the same vendor"?

Why mess with what works? I personally enjoy knowing I can take a break for half a year or whatever, resub, and get up to date on the latest tier of gear within a month by doing the latest 8 or 24 man combined with collecting weekly tomestones. In WoW, if you want to get up to speed on old content, you have to resub immediately after a patch and get to speed on gear before ilvl slowly inflates away into the stratosphere and you have no way of getting into groups for dungeons that drop gear 30ilvls below what pubbies expect you to have.

If we're looking at what other MMOs are doing, WoW has tried to replace the valor system with

Mists of Pandaria - Where people roundly knocked it for gating what was formerly valor gear behind rep grinds
Warlords of Draenor - where people roundly knocked it for just not having a replacement to valor/badges and instead having Nothing To Do!
Legion - Where people have spent almost a solid year at this point complaining about how broken and awful and lovely and RNG the legendary item system is.

And then there's GW2, where you're using gear from 4 years ago with glamours you bought with real money while you spend months grinding for cosmetic relic weapons.

Beyond that, there's no other MMOs to look at for successful ideas, and even the billion dollar behemoth Blizzard can't find an answer to fixing what ain't broken.

Minera fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jul 11, 2017

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Infinity Gaia posted:

The new Aquapolis better have even longer door animations, with even more tricks. I want a door that open and then immediately closes! I want one that opens but there is a trapdoor on the other side! I want a door that appears closed but you can walk right through it!

Troll doors are an integral part of the Aquapolis experience

What I'm saying is

:same:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Bell_ posted:

My potato's defeats against the big guy were unwelcome at first, but built in my mind my character must be obsessed with fighting that guy. She might have dumpstered gods, but his power injected humility and a terrible hunger into her. When 4.0 ended, I knew I'd have to take up a katana because he "got her" or at least what she's become.

The neatest part of that section is how they tied gameplay with the story. As soon as I saw Zenos was level 70 to my 61 I knew it wouldn't end well. And they kept that consistent too!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Minrad posted:

And then there's GW2, where you're using gear from 4 years ago with glamours you bought with real money while you spend months grinding for cosmetic relic weapons.

:negative:

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

I still check every few months to see if there's a reason to download the game or even buy Heart of Thorns (maybe if it was like, 10 bucks on sale like when I bought GW2) and every time the answer is haha nope have you SEEN the latest gem gear????

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

EponymousMrYar posted:

The neatest part of that section is how they tied gameplay with the story. As soon as I saw Zenos was level 70 to my 61 I knew it wouldn't end well. And they kept that consistent too!

The only thing that bugged me was I totally could have taken Zenos, dude didn't have anything on me. :colbert:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

EponymousMrYar posted:

Two more notches against that theory are that both died where it could be reasonable to assume that their blades couldn't be recovered and Zenos specifically said 'give your blade to the Butcher,' meaning said Garlean mauve shirt was being demoted in addition to giving her a Gunblade.

Oh right, that battle. Pretty sure he was using crazy Hissatsu that we don't learn (although the second similar fight also has them and they're a rather close Guren analogue.)

Gaius' never shown to have died. He was still mostly standing after you destroyed the ultima weapon. I mean explosions go off around him and it's not likely that he could escape the Pratoereum's collapse, but look at the end of 3.0 for even dumber cases of people being alive that should be dead.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Tomestones / Badges of Justice / Valor rule. Wotlk ftw.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Minrad posted:

Why mess with what works? I personally enjoy knowing I can take a break for half a year or whatever, resub, and get up to date on the latest tier of gear within a month by doing the latest 8 or 24 man combined with collecting weekly tomestones. In WoW, if you want to get up to speed on old content, you have to resub immediately after a patch and get to speed on gear before ilvl slowly inflates away into the stratosphere and you have no way of getting into groups for dungeons that drop gear 30ilvls below what pubbies expect you to have.

If we're looking at what other MMOs are doing, WoW has tried to replace the valor system with

Mists of Pandaria - Where people roundly knocked it for gating what was formerly valor gear behind rep grinds
Warlords of Draenor - where people roundly knocked it for just not having a replacement to valor/badges and instead having Nothing To Do!
Legion - Where people have spent almost a solid year at this point complaining about how broken and awful and lovely and RNG the legendary item system is.

Beyond that, there's no other MMOs to look at for successful ideas, and even the billion dollar behemoth Blizzard can't find an answer to fixing what ain't broken.

Grinding abstract currency to buy better gear the same way every patch cycle doesn't feel good to me at least. It's the most blatant way of making the MMO treadmill feel like an actual treadmill and I get why Blizzard tried different things, even if they failed. It actually makes me think back to vanilla WoW and the excitement of dungeon gear dropping with some sick fondness.

I want MMOs to somehow bring back that feeling of someone asking you,' "That thing you have is cool, where did you get it?" and the answer not be "I bought it from the gear npc like we always do, idiot", maybe?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

nuru posted:

Grinding abstract currency to buy better gear the same way every patch cycle doesn't feel good to me at least. It's the most blatant way of making the MMO treadmill feel like an actual treadmill and I get why Blizzard tried different things, even if they failed. It actually makes me think back to vanilla WoW and the excitement of dungeon gear dropping with some sick fondness.

I want MMOs to somehow bring back that feeling of someone asking you,' "That thing you have is cool, where did you get it?" and the answer not be "I bought it from the gear npc like we always do, idiot", maybe?

That feeling won't survive contact with the real thing, because what you really want is to recapture lightning in a bottle.

The magic is gone, MMOs have changed, we're not teenagers anymore and wikis exist.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

nuru posted:

You're asking for a world where the internet has not yet permeated every aspect of existence, not a game design feature.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

nuru posted:

it's a treadmill by design because it has to be my man. replace 'grinding abstract currency' with whatever magical nostalgic system you're thinking about and it'll be the Same poo poo. grind the tomes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

WoWs problem was it was a harder to get upgrades if you didn't follow the gear curve. So nowadays they mainly fall into the new areas give you currency to buy better gear. So ostensibly it's the same thing but with different currency types and NPCs.