Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

This is a really stupid question that I have to ask, can the President just "have someone arrested"?

e:

cr0y fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jul 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mcmagic posted:

There isn't going to be any bloodletting.

there might

https://twitter.com/jonathanvswan/status/884867399379562496

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Skippy Granola posted:

This seems to have really hardened the left/right divide in America

I bet you'll find that as this thing deepens that it will bring (some) people together. We're going to have to walk through fire to get there, though.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Reik posted:

If McDonald's put out a tweet of Donald Trump Jr. eating a "nothingburger" with "I'm loving it!" captioned I would be so happy.

No, it doesn't matter, I was just wondering how they knew he got nothing from the meeting.

I have to imagine a nothingburger would be a piece of the finest prime grade beef, seared and charred beyond recognition into a briquette of charcoal, doused in Heinz ketchup, and slapped between two awful buns. Just like Trump loves his steaks.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Tayter Swift posted:

Honestly it's jarring to me that it took them a full six plus hours to come up with The Message.
Which suggests that nobody had even considered that someone would do a thing as dumb as Don Jr. did. He caught everyone off-guard. They had likely already agreed to discredit the emails' source, and that would be their angle, then Jr. hosed that right up. People like Limbaugh may have had the official line handed to them previously, and suddenly they couldn't use it.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

cr0y posted:

This is a really stupid question that I have to ask, can the President just "have someone arrested"?

You need probable cause that they committed a crime. I guess he could order it anyway but then you're into dictatorship territory

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I have a theory on how we ended up at Stupid Watergate. Trump and his campaign desperately wanted the deleted e-mails from Hillary Clinton's private servers and were actively shopping around for them. When the Russians came around offering Clinton e-mails, the Trump team took the meeting because they thought the Russians had the private server e-mails. They thought that if they could uncover Hillary's deleted e-mails they would be hailed as heroes regardless of the source. They thought they had acquired the smoking gun with Hillary, and that's where Trump's major announcement came from. However, since the Russians only had the hacked DNC e-mails, that plan was no good anymore. Despite the Russians not being able to deliver what the campaign actually wanted, the campaign decided hey, e-mails are e-mails and struck a bargain.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

That could've been a headline every day of this administration about every story that was written about this administration.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

cr0y posted:

I believe that he can make a recommendation but it's the Justice department that would actually carry it out.

Too bad he has pissed off every agent from coast to coast.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

mod sassinator posted:

I have to imagine a nothingburger would be a piece of the finest prime grade beef, seared and charred beyond recognition into a briquette of charcoal, doused in Heinz ketchup, and slapped between two awful buns. Just like Trump loves his steaks.
Wait, is a nothingburger a burger without the patty, or with nothing but the patty? I've always assumed the first one.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

You need probable cause that they committed a crime. I guess he could order it anyway but then you're into dictatorship territory

Serious question, could he say the US is at war (with terrorism) and declare military law, then being the head of the military do whatever he wants? (until the tanks start circling the Whitehouse like in the Soviet Union...)

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

Reminder that GITMO is still open and anyone can be sent there at any time without due process.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

aware of dog posted:

It's false. The new talking point is that only 4 intel agencies said Russia did it, but that includes the FBI, the CIA, the NSA, as well as the office of the DNI (which oversees all 17 intel agencies).

"The number of agencies whose various heads testified to Congress that Russia did it is not 17 therefore there were never 17 intelligence agencies"

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

mcmagic posted:

There isn't going to be any bloodletting.

Depends on how stupid Jr is at this point.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Reminder that GITMO is still open and anyone can be sent there at any time without due process.

Can I laugh if this all ends with Air Force One making a surprise stop to Gitmo to drop off the Trump family?

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

mod sassinator posted:

Serious question, could he say the US is at war (with terrorism) and declare military law, then being the head of the military do whatever he wants? (until the tanks start circling the Whitehouse like in the Soviet Union...)

That would require an act of congress

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

It's all of them, right? It can't not be all of them, at this point.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

I feel like it was probably none of them, but that someone in that meeting was already being surveilled by an intelligence or law enforcement agency for reasons that were not, at that time, related to Trump's campaign. If that's the case(I'm wildly speculating, of course) then it could have come from practically anywhere.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

mod sassinator posted:

The President can't declare war only Congress can

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

UberJew posted:

Didn't we pass a law that the president can go to war against al Qaeda, et. al. without Congress?

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

mod sassinator posted:

Not without congress, and they won't go along with that. If for no other reason than it would mean they would personally lose power.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
Well, here's a fun thought. Assuming Trump Jr. is brought up on charges, what are the chances he gets so scared (and forgets he has a pardon incoming because he's a dumb loving idiot) that he flips and spills a whole lotta beans? What exactly does Trump Jr. know and what would he have even been privy to at the highest levels of the campaign?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

lol why in the gently caress is the science committee tweeting this lmao. gently caress this country holy poo poo.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

mod sassinator posted:

Didn't we pass a law that the president can go to war against al Qaeda, et. al. without Congress?

no, congress gave the president authority to go to war with al Qaeda. they made it super broad and open to abuse, but it's still congress consenting to it

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

UberJew posted:

John McCain casts his vote

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

paperwind posted:

Well, here's a fun thought. Assuming Trump Jr. is brought up on charges, what are the chances he gets so scared (and forgets he has a pardon incoming because he's a dumb loving idiot) that he flips and spills a whole lotta beans? What exactly does Trump Jr. know and what would he have even been privy to at the highest levels of the campaign?

My guess is that Trump Jr doesn't know a whole lot.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

paperwind posted:

If he's pardoned he can also be compelled to spill the beans. In fact it arguably becomes EASIER since he can't plead the 5th anymore if he's pardoned.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

mod sassinator posted:

Not applicable to a declaration of martial law across the united states unless the president is going to try and make the call that the entire american people are affiliated forces of al qaida

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

mod sassinator posted:

Are we talking legal or actual? There is a lot he can do if he puts the right people in the right places, but that would be above the pale of a dictatorship.

https://twitter.com/ericgeller/status/884877832043757568

Happening.its

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Yea, technically this law hasn't been repealed yet if I read it correctly: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Authorization_for_Use_of_Military_Force_Against_Terrorists "On June 29, 2017, the House Appropriations Committee approved Rep. Barbara Lee’s amendment to repeal the 2001 authorization for the use of military force that was the foundation of the U.S.’s post-September 11 military actions. The amendment requires that the 2001 authorization for the use of military force be scrapped within 240 days."

So Don Sr. has about 240 days to manufacture whatever reason he wants to 'go after ISIS / al Qaeda / etc.' and send the military anywhere, at home or abroad.

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh

Goon Danton posted:

Unironically kind of rooting for it to be Bannon at this point.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

mod sassinator posted:

So Don Sr. has about 240 days to manufacture whatever reason he wants to 'go after ISIS / al Qaeda / etc.' and send the military anywhere, at home or abroad.

Wouldn't surprise me if he just forgets the deadline at this point lol.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

FoxNews.jpg of the bad photoshops of Dems during W's term.

Or charts with hosed y-axis where the numbers dont even go in order,etc.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Goon Danton posted:

Have you ever seen the movie The Informant? My guess is that Trump's entire inner circle is basically Mark Whitacre.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

eviltastic posted:

Also, there's those pesky security clearance forms they're going to have to "amend" again.

At the press briefing today, Huckabee-Sanders refused to comment on whether Kushner still has security clearance

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

mod sassinator posted:

No to martial law, but he wouldn't necessarily need to declare martial law. (There really isn't even anything like "martial law." There are all sorts of emergency powers, but one of the outcomes of the War on Terror was the imperial presidency, where the executive was given even more vast powers over law enforcement and military action.) A probably apocryphal story is that during the last weeks of his administrations Nixon's advisers were concerned Nixon might use his position as Commander in Chief to defy an impeachment conviction by making it physically impossible for him to be removed with the help of the Army.

I think a lot of people need to wrap their head around the fact that the President can do a lot of things as the head of the executive branch, and is only reined in by respect for the laws of the land, and Congress. Congress doesn't have an army. The SCOTUS doesn't have an army. There's no one who can slap his wrist and go "No, bad President." The only real tool in the arsenal is removing from office (or the 25th Amendment for certain edge cases).

For example, there are multiple legal reasons why the President shouldn't be able to arrest anyone at a whim. But if the President orders the military to march into DC and arrest all members of Congress, it's up to the military to say "gently caress no" or for Congress to remove him from office (before they are arrested), or, if it goes that far, it might go down to the states for them to go "okay gently caress you and your federal government."

And this is why it was deeply irresponsible of the Republican party to even nominate someone like Trump. Of course, denying him would have self-destructed the party, and they put party first. This gets into the whole mess of why primaries should and shouldn't be democratic and I'll skip that, the short version is that the primary reform of the 1970s was a solution to a problem that should have been solved by some other more sustainable way like electoral reform.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Are we talking legal or actual? There is a lot he can do if he puts the right people in the right places, but that would be above the pale of a dictatorship.

Happening.its

Man I'm gonna wake up to like 700 new posts tomorrow aren't I.

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Happening.its

A little Putin revenge for this morning? I can dream...

vvv well then

Red Baron fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jul 11, 2017

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
https://twitter.com/ericgeller/status/884880325670825984

i swear to god im gonna fffff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

Red Baron posted:

A little Putin revenge for this morning? I can dream...

https://twitter.com/ericgeller/status/884880325670825984

• Locked thread