Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Untrustable posted:

Just an update; Noroi was very good. Now settling in for Hell House LLC.

Was it what you were looking for, though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

It was not what was explained to me by my friend. His description was more of an entire movie of commercials and bits of variety shows that had unusual or supernatural things in the background or foreground that aren't commented on by the people in the shows or commercials. I texted him about it and he said he watched it at a work friends house on VHS. I don't know if he's loving with me or what but I wanna track down what it is.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I must know what he's talking about because that to me sounds like my dream movie.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I would also be very interested in seeing whatever the commercial Japanese movie was.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Was the whole movie definitely like that? In the 90s and again in the early 00s some Japanese company did a few movies similar to the Yokai: 100 Monsters/etc. movies ADV did in the late 60s. IIRC one of these had a part where we see disconnected bits of normal stuff with spirits/etc. popping out and no one immediately noticing.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

He said it was like an hour and a half of someone channel flipping and there were supernatural goings on and occasionally like a presenter would be like cutting into his own arm to show off a knife set and it was all played straight like no one reacted to the weirdness. He said it just kind of ended with no credits.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 223 days!

Untrustable posted:

He said it was like an hour and a half of someone channel flipping and there were supernatural goings on and occasionally like a presenter would be like cutting into his own arm to show off a knife set and it was all played straight like no one reacted to the weirdness. He said it just kind of ended with no credits.

Tell him that creepy asian kids are going to stare at him and possibly give his pets tummy rubs as he sleeps until he tell you the name of the movie.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I'm gonna have him bother his coworker to try and get the name of the movie. In other news Hell House LLC was really very good for a random Amazon Prime find. Currently checking out Hollows Grove and am barely there for it. It's like low budget Grave Encounters.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Sundowner posted:

I'm an absolute sucker for found footage and horror mockumentaries. I almost always enjoy them even if they're bad because I just enjoy the conceit... though sometimes you just have to agonize over why they're still recording.

Savageland is up on US Prime and worth checking out if you enjoy mockumentaries. Can use a VPN to watch it.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Untrustable posted:

What did you like about XX? I'm really curious because I found nothing interesting or good going on in that movie. I want your perspective on it.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I loved The Void but I also liked XX more than people here seem to. The rock climbing short was pretty lame, but the rest were all pretty good and the adaptation of The Box in particular was great.

That was my experience with Lair of the White Worm too.

Yeah I liked The Box quite a bit. Solid telling of a weird-fiction story. I didn't like the final short as much, but it was neat that the movie was book-ended with mom-horror. All in all I didn't hate any of XX, I even liked the rock climbing one people hated just because I kinda dig cheap, tales from the cryptesque creature features.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare
good Lovecraftian films?

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Sundowner posted:

good Lovecraftian films?

Posting to beat Basebf555 to say From Beyond.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

Sundowner posted:

good Lovecraftian films?

I posted last page/a couple pages ago about being on this same kick. The Void is very cool, From Beyond is amazing. Other recs I got on twitter that I haven't seen yet are In the Mouth of Madness, Re-Animator, and Dagon, and still others have recommended a recent short-ish film adaptation of The Call of Cthulhu.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Sundowner posted:

The only part of XX I enjoyed were the interstitial scenes.

In fact, I can't remember a single scene from the short films proper.

Untrustable posted:

What did you like about XX? I'm really curious because I found nothing interesting or good going on in that movie. I want your perspective on it.

I didn't even particularly like XX, I just preferred its variety and aesthetic realization (well, 'cept for "Don't Fall"). The interstitial scenes are fun, but they're largely there to clarify the unifying theme of the films, which is the inextricability of dominant ideological conceptions of gender, and the valuation of wealth. The wraparound story is about a sentient dollhouse searching for a new heart for a girl who lives in an abandoned, decrepit chateau. The double-meaning of the title is both of chromosome pairs as well as "doll's eyes," and so the bridge between these two concepts is a kind of living death, that within dominant ideology the typical female subject passes immediately from this nascent state - not even of birth, but even further back into the embryonic/fetal journey - to a kind of artificial life. There is not only the girl, the doll, and the dollhouse - they are a single figure brought about by the immersion of the child subject into ideology. The girl does not simply play with the doll, but imagines herself as the doll and, further, imagines herself/the doll as physically intertwined with the dollhouse, this diminutive domestic simulation, the ultimate projected realization of the girl's unspoken duty within dominant ideology.

The episodes follow from this. The point is that dolls and dollhouses - while models for binary gender roles - are fundamentally supposed to be receptive, non-reactive figures. They are ideal because they simply abide by some imaginary, loaded domestic-social function. The narrative of the film is, thus, from characters who are consumed by this ideological framework: "The Box" is straightforwardly about consumption, or, rather, the terrifying implications of non-consumption; "The Birthday Party" is about a woman reminiscing on the defining moment in realizing her own mother's psychological dependence upon maintaining her own dollhouse; "Don't Fall" is about hipsters encountering Lovecraftian horror; and "Her Only Living Son" concludes with a distinctly working/lower-middle class setting, and depicts a divorced single mother trying to assert her dominion over the abstract ideological forces that are turning her son into a monster. (The last of these, notably, has a "happy ending" that nonetheless can only imagine murder-suicide as a solution. The film is very cynical about the prospect of fighting ideology.)

K. Waste fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Jul 11, 2017

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Sundowner posted:

good Lovecraftian films?

One that people tend to overlook, partially because I don't think it's ever shown up for free on a streaming service, is Necronomicon.

It's partially directed by Brian Yuzna, and it's a Lovecraft themed anthology starring Jeffrey Combs as Lovecraft himself. It's definitely not perfect, but the fact that it even exists is amazing, and it's just a fun ride with tons of little Lovecraft bits from some stories that don't often get as much attention as Cthulhu and the other monsters.

Also shout out to one of my recent discoveries, The Resurrected. Someone recommended it to me for the May Horror Challenge, but when I watched it I couldn't understand why it's so unknown/underseen. Chris Sarandon knocks it out of the park, which I'm starting to learn he always does, the guy just has a huge screen presence.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Hell House llc was a lot of fun but I thought that the final act was pretty weak. Really great for the first 3/4 of the film though.

Sundowner watch Troll Hunter or be banished from this thread!!!!!!!!

also tucker and dale vs evil

Ramadu fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jul 11, 2017

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Troll Hunter is one of those movies I wish I could watch for the first time again. I had zero expectations for it and it turned out to be one of the best creature features AND found footage films of the decade.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
I've seen it! Was great.

And thanks for the rec Basebf555

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Basebf555 posted:

Troll Hunter is one of those movies I wish I could watch for the first time again. I had zero expectations for it and it turned out to be one of the best creature features AND found footage films of the decade.

Same. I love showing it to new people and just watching the joy they get out of seeing it because its so great.

Ok you can stay sundowner.

Clown on netflix is a whole lot of fun and I would recommend it to everyone so you should watch it too

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

One that people tend to overlook, partially because I don't think it's ever shown up for free on a streaming service, is Necronomicon.

It's partially directed by Brian Yuzna, and it's a Lovecraft themed anthology starring Jeffrey Combs as Lovecraft himself. It's definitely not perfect, but the fact that it even exists is amazing, and it's just a fun ride with tons of little Lovecraft bits from some stories that don't often get as much attention as Cthulhu and the other monsters.

Also shout out to one of my recent discoveries, The Resurrected. Someone recommended it to me for the May Horror Challenge, but when I watched it I couldn't understand why it's so unknown/underseen. Chris Sarandon knocks it out of the park, which I'm starting to learn he always does, the guy just has a huge screen presence.

There's a late 80s movie called HP Lovecraft's Unnamable. It and its sequel are supposedly good but has anyone here seen them? I only heard of them recently.

There's also The Curse (with Wil Wheaton!!!) which is a late 80s adaptation of The Colors of Space, and The Resurrected which was directed by Dan O'Bannon and is an adaptation of The Case of Charles Dexter Ward. But I saw them so long ago I barely remember anything about the..

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jul 11, 2017

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Untrustable posted:

If he doesn't remember the title of the film, tell him I'm going to beat his rear end.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

If he doesn't remember the title of the film, tell him I'm going to beat his rear end.

Maybe it's part of the tape's curse? I bombards you with subtle surrealism, fills your brain with nightmare images, but it's impossible to make a digital transfer or to even remember the title.

Also you have to show it to a friend or else you'll die or something.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

FreudianSlippers posted:

Is the Dracula hunted by a kid or is he the hunter of kids?

A teenager/early 20 something hunts Dracula as part of the frame story, but the final segment starts after he kills Dracula. Details might be wrong, the whole movie's pretty hazy.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

It's honestly starting to sound like dude was high n drunk while watching several Adult Swim paid programming specials like Icelandic Ultrablue, the knife qvc thing, footage of a bear.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Yeah, this sounds like a heavily misremembered viewing experience. I've known fuckers like that who get major details of movies they just watched wrong.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Are there any other good Summer Camp horror movies? I'm probably going to do one of my horror movie nights this weekend, and I'm going to show The Burning to celebrate summer. I'm avoiding the Friday the 13th series; everyone knows the ending to Sleepaway Camp and heard the How Did This Get Made episode (but Sleepaway Camp 2 as the second feature is a maybe). Doesn't have to be a slasher, it just needs to take place at a summer camp.

edit: Oh poo poo, I may do a double feature with Piranha

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jul 11, 2017

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

Are there any other good Summer Camp horror movies? I'm probably going to do one of my horror movie nights this weekend, and I'm going to show The Burning to celebrate summer. I'm avoiding the Friday the 13th series; everyone knows the ending to Sleepaway Camp and heard the How Did This Get Made episode (but Sleepaway Camp 2 as the second feature is a maybe). Doesn't have to be a slasher, it just needs to take place at a summer camp.

edit: Oh poo poo, I may do a double feature with Piranha

I mean, Jaws, if you count that. Jaws is so good :coolfish: :allears:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I dunno about good, but there's a lot of them out there if you google it. Madman, Twisted Nightmare, Cheerleader Camp, Summer Camp Nightmare, Camp Slaughter, Camp Sunshine, Stage Fright...

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Drunkboxer posted:

I mean, Jaws, if you count that. Jaws is so good :coolfish: :allears:

Oh yeah, Jaws is fantastic, but my horror movie nights are designed to show lesser-known films. Everyone's seen Jaws.

Lurdiak posted:

I dunno about good, but there's a lot of them out there if you google it. Madman, Twisted Nightmare, Cheerleader Camp, Summer Camp Nightmare, Camp Slaughter, Camp Sunshine, Stage Fright...

Yeah. Most of them are dire, although Stage Fright is on my list. I'm not trying to torture anyone. Wolf Creek might be fun, but I hated it when I saw it in theaters and can't work up the nerve for a re-watch.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Just Before Dawn isn't summer camp per se, but it features 20-somethings camping in the woods.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

Wolf Creek might be fun, but I hated it when I saw it in theaters and can't work up the nerve for a re-watch.

I'd argue against Wolf Creek for a horror movie night with friends. Not even that's it's too disturbing, I'm sure you've shown worse, but the nihilistic tone combined with just how little actually happens I think would make for a pretty lame movie night. I think Piranha is a much better option. Just my two cents.

They're gonna love The Burning though.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

I'd argue against Wolf Creek for a horror movie night with friends. Not even that's it's too disturbing, I'm sure you've shown worse, but the nihilistic tone combined with just how little actually happens I think would make for a pretty lame movie night. I think Piranha is a much better option. Just my two cents.

They're gonna love The Burning though.

You're probably right. I think Piranha (I'm talking about Joe Dante's, by the way) is tonally close to The Burning, as well. They're both really fun copycats that stand on their own.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Sundowner, if you've not seen them yet, The Taking of Deborah Logan and The Atticus Project are decent. Deborah Logan is creepy af for 3/4 then it goes bonkers at the end. It's fun.

Also, Phoenix Tapes 97 on Prime is an okay low budget found footage.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even

alphabettitouretti posted:

Sundowner, if you've not seen them yet, The Taking of Deborah Logan and The Atticus Project are decent. Deborah Logan is creepy af for 3/4 then it goes bonkers at the end. It's fun.

Also, Phoenix Tapes 97 on Prime is an okay low budget found footage.

We saw Deborah Logan and Phoenix tapes but I'll write down The Atticus Project on my list!

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I texted him again earlier and explained that I really need him to remember the name of the movie. He said it was just Japanese. Then he told me his coworker quit. At this point I'm either in a reboot of the Ring or he's loving with me.

In other news my dive into Netflix's horror offerings continues and can say that Last Shift is very good, The Hallow is very good, The Good Neighbor is good but not quite horror, Clown is good, Let's Be Evil was bad, and Stake Land was good.

Suggest me more horror goons. No italian stuff. Can't get into it. I know thats like sacrilege in this thread but I'm sorry.

Edit: Also big ups to K. Waste for his reasoning for liking XX. I can appreciate all the words you used and the order you put them in. That's an interesting and valid way to look at the film and I may re-watch with your analysis in mind.

Untrustable fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jul 11, 2017

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

Sundowner posted:

We saw Deborah Logan and Phoenix tapes but I'll write down The Atticus Project on my list!

It's actually The Atticus Institute and I remember thinking it started off strong and then just ended up being a huge waste of potential. It's been a while, though, so I don't have many details to point to for that criticism :shobon:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Untrustable posted:

I texted him again earlier and explained that I really need him to remember the name of the movie. He said it was just Japanese. Then he told me his coworker quit. At this point I'm either in a reboot of the Ring or he's loving with me.

Your friend is going to hell.

LonelyMudkip
Jul 19, 2016

Your friend is going to already in hell.

Hey Untrustable, if your friend sends you any mysterious packages or strange emails, don't open them. Your life may be becoming a creepypasta

For horror recs, I'm gonna rep Let Us Prey, because it is good and I might be slightly obsessed with it. Also, if you haven't seen it, Housebound is a pretty good horror-comedy haunted house flick. I always wonder how well movies like that and What We Do in the Shadows translate to foreign audiences, cause they are hella kiwi.

Edit: Ooh, and someone mentioned The Windmill a while back, and I'll second that. It's a solid little slasher and a setting you don't see much. Plus the killer has goddamn wooden clogs with nails in them

LonelyMudkip fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jul 12, 2017

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

House of the Dead and House of the Dead 2 are now included with Prime. Brace yourselves and I am looking forward to full trip reports from anyone here who hasn't seen them yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Untrustable posted:

In other news my dive into Netflix's horror offerings continues and can say that Last Shift is very good, The Hallow is very good, The Good Neighbor is good but not quite horror, Clown is good, Let's Be Evil was bad, and Stake Land was good.

Suggest me more horror goons. No italian stuff. Can't get into it. I know thats like sacrilege in this thread but I'm sorry.

Edit: Also big ups to K. Waste for his reasoning for liking XX. I can appreciate all the words you used and the order you put them in. That's an interesting and valid way to look at the film and I may re-watch with your analysis in mind.

For other overlooked movies, I think you'd like The Houses that October Built.