Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Gorilla Salad posted:

At a friend's place today and he had the TV on in the background on some British house flipping program.

It was a three bedroom terrace house selling for 40 thousand pounds. It made us both pause, because here there would have been at least another zero at the end.

And there would have been another zero again if it had been in London, so it was probably right on the edge of the 'live in a village, commute to London' zone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
£40k seems like a lot of money to pay to live near a bunch of poms.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

JBP posted:

£40k seems like a lot of money to pay to live near a bunch of poms.

As opposed to paying millions to live near Australians?

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

NPR Journalizard posted:

As opposed to paying millions to live near Australians?

I think you're paying millions to be able to put a solid wall between you and them.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

iajanus posted:

I think you're paying millions to be able to put a solid wall between you and them.

I'm not so sure about the solid part.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I work in a club with 180~ machines and our weekly gross is around 600k on a slow week.

Considering the primary member base is boomers I don't really mind that much tbh.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Mad Katter posted:

When I was in Canada, someone told me that my English was really good.

In Barbados for honeymoon in 2012 we kept getting asked if we were going to be back home in time for the Olympics.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Laserface posted:

I work in a club with 180~ machines and our weekly gross is around 600k on a slow week.

Considering the primary member base is boomers I don't really mind that much tbh.

That's a poo poo attitude to have, IMO. Pokies are designed to be addictive, and (like many other addictions) they impact not just the addict but the people around and dependent on them. People with gambling debts, when they can no longer borrow from cash converters or loan sharks, tend to turn to family and friends. Often those people have no idea that they're financing a destructive addiction until poo poo really hits rock bottom.

Your club takes advantage of that to their major profit.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Key points:
Cory Bernardi rejects Malcolm Turnbull's London speech
Bernardi to be guest speaker at Roseville Liberal branch meeting next month
Some local Liberal members already quitting party to join Australian Conservatives

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Xenophon gets a bit of poo poo in here but he was "No Pokies" Xenophon for years before he ran for the senate.

bigis posted:

Pokies revenue doesn't count for GST distribution does it? :nono:

Isn't that just for WA?

http://www.clubsaustralia.com.au/advocacy/policy-centre/taxation

Looks like it has its own "gaming machine tax" on top of any GST that is applied.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

The Before Times posted:

That's a poo poo attitude to have, IMO. Pokies are designed to be addictive, and (like many other addictions) they impact not just the addict but the people around and dependent on them. People with gambling debts, when they can no longer borrow from cash converters or loan sharks, tend to turn to family and friends. Often those people have no idea that they're financing a destructive addiction until poo poo really hits rock bottom.

It also pays my salary and that of my coworkers which We don't put into poker machines, pokie tax, our income tax, etc. it's redistributed in a lot of ways but obviously not all of it is.

When I took the job I had a long think about it from a moral perspective. If I went in there tomorrow and smashed every single machine, they'd just go down the road to the next pub. They dont think they have a problem and we legally cannot ask if they think they do or tell them they do; they have to come to US and seek help.

I don't think pokies are ok at all (I've lost too many of my favourite live venues to them) but they won't go away without a huge "muh rights" backlash and the gaming lobby sure as gently caress won't go down without a fight. At least another 15 years til they are gone from pubs.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Anidav posted:

Key points:
Cory Bernardi rejects Malcolm Turnbull's London speech
Bernardi to be guest speaker at Roseville Liberal branch meeting next month
Some local Liberal members already quitting party to join Australian Conservatives

Latham was a guest at a Liberal branch in Wentworth too.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The Before Times posted:

But.. but. The benefit to the community!
Without that half mil each week, the local footy team wouldn't be able to afford $500 worth of jerseys every year.

e. friend used to manage a huge pokie room and would regale me with stories of boomers lining up at 6am for opening and pissing in their seats rather than leaving their machines.

CATTASTIC fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Jul 11, 2017

bigis
Jun 21, 2006

Stoca Zola posted:

Xenophon gets a bit of poo poo in here but he was "No Pokies" Xenophon for years before he ran for the senate.

Isn't that just for WA?

http://www.clubsaustralia.com.au/advocacy/policy-centre/taxation

Looks like it has its own "gaming machine tax" on top of any GST that is applied.

Gambling taxes aren't included as revenue for the GST distribution calculation which means WA is effectively penalised for not having pokies.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Hey Domain

quote:

Perhaps people with pets are just happier because they live in nice, pet-appropriate places?...However, before you start furiously campaigning for all rental properties to come with a playful labrador as standard, be advised that the truth might be less heartwarming, and the question of human happiness and wellbeing might be one of those annoying structural problems which so often prove stubbornly intractable.....

Another thing that determines whether you can have a pet is whether you live in the sort of place where it’s possible to do so. And given the suite of restrictions on having pets in our cities, a greater-than-average number of pet owners would live in larger places, where pets can skitter about the place. It’s also likely the group will have a higher than average rate of home ownership, since it’s far easier to have a puppy if the only person who’s going to be angry about the floorboards getting scratched is you.

Get hosed.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I want a dog :sigh:

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
My landlord let me get a fish because they won't piss and poo poo and leave fur all over the carpet.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
under our by-laws fish don't count as pets

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

It said in our contract that 'permission to get a pet would not be unreasonably withheld' but we had to ask. We asked and the real estate agent told me they had asked the landlord and she had said no. After a couple of months we found Molly, a Kelpie cattle cross, in a rescue shelter and adopted her anyway. A couple of months after that my landlord went out for lunch with my next door neighbour who accidentally let it slip that we had a dog. Turns out the real estate agent just lied to us about asking the landlord and she was fine with it.

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.

Laserface posted:

I stopped working in pubs because I saw what pokies did to people. I kind of lost it after a guy asked me if he could borrow money to get home at the start of my graveyard shift and I saw him putting his kid on a bus the next morning as I was leaving. In the meantime I found out he put his entire paycheck through the pokies just before I'd arrived at work.

gently caress that and gently caress supporting that. I'd rather fight centrelink.

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

The town in Victoria where we have been living is 'proudly pokie free' and I am actually really proud of that. Christ I went into a pub with pokies in the next town over and wanted to burn it down. Rows of clearly vulnerable elderly people feeding coin after coin. Beyond hosed.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
https://youtu.be/Ogj5ztTE0zw

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I developed a pokie addiction about 7 years ago, I was around 30 years old and I had always scoffed at them. Just put some money in them after work at the pub. Started putting at least $100 in them every couple of days. I was stuck for a few years and eventually was able to talk myself out of it after probably wasting $10k - $20k over that time.

Please realise it's not rational, they're finely tuned traps and I can't blame anyone else because I have been in the same situation. I'm lucky in that it never ruined any relationships or any other part of my life and I stay away from them now. I fully support "blow up the pokies" but I can also understand the "people can do what they want" position.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
They should just make gambling taxes count like mineral rents in the GST calculation and the political will might just emerge to do something about it.

bigis
Jun 21, 2006

norp posted:

They should just make gambling taxes count like mineral rents in the GST calculation and the political will might just emerge to do something about it.

:agreed:

starkebn
May 18, 2004

does any big company actually pay any mineral rents though?

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Re pet ownership in rental houses

I was quite annoyed when I was renting that I couldn't have a cat since iajwife and I are quite responsible and our cattes are very quiet and nondestructive. When I was renting out our place in Sydney we allowed pets (with some simple criteria, like don't destroy the place and whatnot). All three tenants we had before we sold the house managed to have dogs that destroyed doors, broke things, scratched up the floors to hell (which our two cats had barely managed to mark in their 5 years there) and ripped up all the curtains and mark/damage walls in every room, causing thousands of dollars in damage that were far more than their bond (which they fought tooth and nail to get back). The owners each made their own "rules" upon moving in regarding how they would control their pets and none of them even slightly tried to keep them - I went with the agent for one inspection and the back door was hanging open with nobody at home and their large dog just sprinting all over the house ripping up things and the renter was not home (the renter explained this by saying that the dog was their security system and it was totally safe).

As a pet owner I sympathise about how frustrating it is trying to find somewhere to have pets, and how many benefits there are in having them. As a (former) landlord, though, there's a shitton of fuckwit people out there who've poisoned the well and ruined it for everyone and if I ever get into the renting situation again I'd be very wary of letting pets in.

I don't know what a good solution is.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Also gently caress off pokies; that guy in Brisbane who set fire to a pubful of them did so at the pub literally next door to my old work whilst I was there and had I known I would have bought him a beer before he was done.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

iajanus posted:

Re pet ownership in rental houses

I was quite annoyed when I was renting that I couldn't have a cat since iajwife and I are quite responsible and our cattes are very quiet and nondestructive. When I was renting out our place in Sydney we allowed pets (with some simple criteria, like don't destroy the place and whatnot). All three tenants we had before we sold the house managed to have dogs that destroyed doors, broke things, scratched up the floors to hell (which our two cats had barely managed to mark in their 5 years there) and ripped up all the curtains and mark/damage walls in every room, causing thousands of dollars in damage that were far more than their bond (which they fought tooth and nail to get back). The owners each made their own "rules" upon moving in regarding how they would control their pets and none of them even slightly tried to keep them - I went with the agent for one inspection and the back door was hanging open with nobody at home and their large dog just sprinting all over the house ripping up things and the renter was not home (the renter explained this by saying that the dog was their security system and it was totally safe).

As a pet owner I sympathise about how frustrating it is trying to find somewhere to have pets, and how many benefits there are in having them. As a (former) landlord, though, there's a shitton of fuckwit people out there who've poisoned the well and ruined it for everyone and if I ever get into the renting situation again I'd be very wary of letting pets in.

I don't know what a good solution is.

Are you able to specify in the contract that any damage caused by pets must be payed even if not covered by the bond? Or an extra bond for pets? I don't know the rental laws and would also not like them to gently caress tenants.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Zenithe posted:

Hey Domain

Get hosed.

Is there more context to this, because it seems pretty accurate. People with means and stability are very likely to be happier than people without.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

starkebn posted:

Are you able to specify in the contract that any damage caused by pets must be payed even if not covered by the bond? Or an extra bond for pets? I don't know the rental laws and would also not like them to gently caress tenants.

There were some things we were able to do (insurance etc) but it was an absolute gently caress-around that wasted a huge amount of time that it could have been rented and was fought at every step by the pet owners. As a pet-owner it was beyond frustrating to come to the stand that I didn't want to allow them but these muppets did an incredible job of making me hate the very concept.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

For reference, I'd be happy with making pets universally allowed if there was better structure around it and more protection for both ends of the transactions. For example: the last big dog that was in there managed to severely damage the bifold doors at the back of the house, which cost around 10k to fix. The bond was nowhere near that much and insurance fought hard to avoid paying for any of it. We managed to get most of it back but it took forever and since it was a major point of ingress it had to be fixed immediately, which meant we were massively out of pocket for months (and the tenant had the gall to complain about it taking so long, considering her dog was the one who destroyed the loving thing in the first place). It's a really frustrating issue.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I rented 2 places with pets. Both times we did not ask to have pets, because they said no pets in the ad.

First house, we had some repairs needed and the owner came over. he saw that we had a small dog and was totally cool with it.

second house the owner found out we had the same dog + another dog. The owner found out that we had pets because they let themselves into our home thinking we were not home. That was a fun conversation. Unsurprisingly they were fine with the dogs as long as we didnt mention the trespassing.

I can see why you may not want pets as a landlord, but a blanket 'no pets' thing is bullshit. When I split from that partner and took one of the dogs with me, that dog was my god drat whole life and due to the nature of the split, I would have topped myself if I didnt have that dog to keep me company and give me something to care about.

Perhaps the answer is that pets cannot be unreasonably denied as long as any damage caused by the pet is paid for outside of the regular bond, or some kind of additional pet bond?

on the other hand I dont think I have ever seen a house with medium-large dogs and floorboards that werent totally ruined.

Laserface fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jul 12, 2017

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/joshgnosis/status/884895150329049088

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Pets is slavery.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Laserface posted:

Perhaps the answer is that pets cannot be unreasonably denied as long as any damage caused by the pet is paid for outside of the regular bond, or some kind of additional pet bond?
I like this. I think there's a pet bond allowed but only in WA (if I remember correctly?)

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Surely the potential damage caused by pets can be solved by higher rent, pet bond and pet insurance built into the home insurance contract?

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
From Pauline Pantsdown, in the Daily Telegraph today:

those loving young people destroying themselves and society

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

SadisTech posted:

1/3 of young people live in NSW. I found the problem with young people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

SadisTech posted:

I love that both "experiencing high or very high psychological distress" and "live in New South Wales" are the fault of these disgraceful Young Aussies.

• Locked thread