Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Spaced God posted:

https://twitter.com/ChrisLicht/status/884905334757875713

"Quitter Joe only left GOP to be with love affair Mika! Can't stand the heat of politics. Fairweather Fan! #sad #maga #quitterjoe"

As will any sane member of the GOP at this point. I wonder if this could cause a big fracture of politicians vs party.

Or at least it will in my fanfiction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

paperwind posted:

Well, apparently one of my Facebook friends is still more pissed at some Democrats in California blocking single payer health care than the mounting evidence of Trump collusion with the Russians. I don't know why a Bernie supporter clings so hard to his spite for the Democrats when there are literal crooks and traitors in the White House, but I've given up understanding him at this point.

It was a really lovely bill, that was literally "Lets do single payer" with no mechanisms for funding or actually implementing it. It also relied on medicaid expansion funding. These are all major problem in CA, since Prop 13 makes passing tax increases take a 2/3 majority and the democrats have a exactly that number. A bill that didn't have its poo poo planned out well was bound to die, and this was basically "Yay singlepayer!!!" written in crayon compared to what got vetoed under Arnold

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jul 12, 2017

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Maybe he meant to say "I'm loving it" instead of "I love it" and this deal is really about McDonald's

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

Wark Say posted:

A few pages behind, but leave the Shinsengumi and Sadaharu off of this, bucko!

I have a very sincere question/ couple of questions (which are all basically the same question). Regardless of what this Trump Jr. business ends up proving or disproving or who gets his/her head in a pike for this, but I have to ask: Why he couldn't just wait? My train of thought is that all he needed to do was wait for the NYT to drop the e-mails and he could've trash-talked them up and down. What was to be gained? Was this the equivalent of that shithead in YouTube who says "First" was that literally all it was? It makes no loving sense. How can anybody be this goddamn stupid?

No one has a crystal ball to this poo poo. But there seem to be two ways to approach this scenario:

1) The Trump family has repeatedly shown to be a very outspoken, and active political family. The presumably safe way to handle the situation is to shut all of that down and lawyer up, and then continue to lay low until the topic either withers away or you're forced to show up in trial.

That involves the Trumps heavily communicating and coordinating all of their actions in a strategic way, and shuts them down from the press and most political activities. They seem unprepared for that play.

2) Cannibalize the story and use it as ammunition for political spin. If you were paying close attention, this is how they have been solving all of their issues from the very beginning.

Sensible Thursday
Jul 28, 2007
Can someone explain to me why everyone's saying it will probably take Mueller at least a year to do his thing? What part of this process is so time consuming, do they have to run the entire Internet through a decryption engine the size of the moon and then convene a full jury trial on it or something?

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Shukaro posted:

"they (the republicans) don't hate minorities"
Technically true, the non-wealthy are a majority, not a minority.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

The Glumslinger posted:

It was a really lovely bill, that was literally "Lets do single payer" with no mechanisms for funding or actually implementing it. It also relied on medicaid expansion funding

Single payer is a good goal, but that bill wasn't a serious effort at it.

Outside this thread, but the bill literally said it wouldn't go forward without a funding mechanism, and was tabled before it got to the committee where funding would have been worked out.

It's not unusual for a bill to have a funding mechanism hashed out later.

It was killed because CA dems aren't interested in doing single payer right now.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Sensible Thursday posted:

Can someone explain to me why everyone's saying it will probably take Mueller at least a year to do his thing? What part of this process is so time consuming, do they have to run the entire Internet through a decryption engine the size of the moon and then convene a full jury trial on it or something?

the fbi gets its reputation by being very through and making sure once they've got their guy their guy is hosed

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

DreamShipWrecked posted:

As will any sane member of the GOP at this point. I wonder if this could cause a big fracture of politicians vs party.

Or at least it will in my fanfiction.

He's not even a sitting congressman, who gives a poo poo

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

dont even fink about it posted:

He's not even a sitting congressman, who gives a poo poo

Also he went independent, which just means he's a republican but doesn't want to admit it.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

AsInHowe posted:

Big story coming out tonight, according to some sources.

I can only take so much winning. You might say, I have winning fever.

...and the only cure is more winning.

But seriously, unless its the FBI and the National guard storming the White House and making arrests for High Treason, I think the press should hold off on blowing their load.

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

This is a really large piece of activity that involves many individuals, foreign relations, and has spanned over a year.

Grammaton
Feb 3, 2004
Cleric
You know McConnell is pissed. He's trying to deprive millions of people of their health care and Donald, Jr. comes along and causes a media nuke.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Robot Hobo posted:

Technically true, the non-wealthy are a majority, not a minority.

Well the party at this point has evolved from simple bigoted kleptocrats to bigoted kleptocrats who are beholden to insane fringe groups who want to enslave women and murder everyone who isn't a white cishet.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Keep loving that chicken, Mitch.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

But enough about you and your girlfriend
Joke's on you, carnal, for I'm Mexican. :cheeky:

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

I should say, if there is a final bombshell in the Trump-Jr-Email-o-Thon, they should drop it just before he shows on Hannity and then watch him squirm.

:getin:

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

actionjackson posted:

Maybe he meant to say "I'm loving it" instead of "I love it" and this deal is really about McDonald's

I buy that. He seems like the type to gently caress a hamburger.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/SethAbramson/status/884887474253815810

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

I hope Jr. is wearing some wetness protection for the interview.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Overwined posted:

I hope Jr. is wearing some wetness protection for the interview.

Wetness protection is what he's going to need after spilling his guts to the FBI behind closed doors.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Dogwood Fleet posted:

Wetness protection is what he's going to need after spilling his guts to the FBI behind closed doors.

No, he'll need wetwork protection after that.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Spaced God posted:

https://twitter.com/ChrisLicht/status/884905334757875713

"Quitter Joe only left GOP to be with love affair Mika! Can't stand the heat of politics. Fairweather Fan! #sad #maga #quitterjoe"

So Joe Scarborough is now going to officially stop carrying water for his poo poo political party.

That's literally all this means. He's just too ashamed to keep calling himself a Republican. He'll still be a smug, insufferable douchebag.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

He's gonna call up David Vitter for some pro tips on wetness prevention.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

How long until they just stop sending these bills to the CBO?

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Snuffman posted:

I should say, if there is a final bombshell in the Trump-Jr-Email-o-Thon, they should drop it just before he shows on Hannity and then watch him squirm.

:getin:

Sean would either not bring it up or discuss a friendly question and response with Junior beforehand. Sean knows his role.

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

Of all the things you don't want to gently caress up...

Reputation aside, being asked to investigate the potential collusion between two superpowers is just not a thing you don't check everything about over and over again.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Ripoff posted:

I was gonna say the same thing - if anything opiates aren't talked about enough. I watched a chunk of that HBO documentary on opiate addiction and some of the poo poo they were showing made me queasy, including a mother passed out on the floor of what appeared to be the toy section of a Wal-Mart with her 3-year-old daughter begging and screaming in hysterics trying to pull her off the ground.

loving weed would just make mom stop at the lovely built-in Subway or McDonalds and therefore should never be mentioned in drug education again.

I watched that documentary and it's loving heartbreaking. Seriously, everyone should go watch it. People's lives are being destroyed and we know that the drug war doesn't work so we have to invest in helping everyone.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Alter Ego posted:

So Joe Scarborough is now going to officially stop carrying water for his poo poo political party.

That's literally all this means. He's just too ashamed to keep calling himself a Republican. He'll still be a smug, insufferable douchebag.

At least George Will had the integrity to change his registration the moment Trump won the nomination, Joe had to see half a year of Trump's poo poo first.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Rigel posted:

At least George Will had the integrity to change his registration the moment Trump won the nomination, Joe had to see half a year of Trump's poo poo first.

Joe had to be personally attacked by the president of the united states himself.

That is..a pretty high bar

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Can you know its felonius if you're a goddamn moron?

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Joe's a bitch who cares

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon
Jun 22, 2017

by Smythe
gently caress Joe Scarborough he is just as bad as Trump and can suck my big LIBERAL COCK.

moostaffa
Apr 2, 2008

People always ask me about Toad, It's fantastic. Let me tell you about Toad. I do very well with Toad. I love Toad. No one loves Toad more than me, BELIEVE ME. Toad loves me. I have the best Toad.

axeil posted:

I watched that documentary and it's loving heartbreaking. Seriously, everyone should go watch it. People's lives are being destroyed and we know that the drug war doesn't work so we have to invest in helping everyone.

Dealing with the opiod crisis and ending the drug war would cost thousands of jobs in law enforcement and prison industries. Can't have that.

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat

GWBBQ posted:

This probably sounds ridiculous and unbelievable to anyone who didn't have the DARE program in school, the rest of you are probably laughing and trying to remember the dumb poo poo they told you.
I remember the time our DARE officer lined a dozen or so of us elementary school kids up and pointed his gun at the belly of the first kid and said that by the time the bullet exited the last kid's back the wound would be the size of a birthday cake.

Then he showed us slides of gang members that had been shot in the head.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

FizFashizzle posted:

The left has a propensity to fracture in a way that doesn't exist on the right for some reason.

Doubtless there'd be hillary fans hand waving Russian collusion, but it wouldn't be nearly as lock step as it is on the right.

I'm pretty sure Hillary fans would be the ones who wouldn't forgive Russian Collusion. I'd see the left agreeing to it first - hell, some of them try to justify Russian collusion by Republicans, usually with "America is just as bad, and meddled in elections too."

I honestly can't tell if I should feel sorry for him that he just wasted a year trying to nail someone stupid enough to publicly incriminate himself, or if this is him trying to give a reason he hasn't been doing anything for a year.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

evilweasel posted:

the fbi gets its reputation by being very through and making sure once they've got their guy their guy is hosed

See also the FIFA RICO thread, going from "lol nothingburger" to "Sepp Blatter, if he evades immediate prison, will be pursued for the rest of his unnatural life by FBI cyberwolves".

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

FuturePastNow posted:

How long until they just stop sending these bills to the CBO?

They literally have to to use reconciliation.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

GreyjoyBastard posted:

See also the FIFA RICO thread, going from "lol nothingburger" to "Sepp Blatter, if he evades immediate prison, will be pursued for the rest of his unnatural life by FBI cyberwolves".

Important difference being that blatter wasn't the head of the FBIs boss though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

axeil posted:

Maybe now that's it's mostly white people being destroyed we might do something that we didn't in the past 50 years when it was primarily destroying minorities.

• Locked thread