Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I am sure many people got educated about feminism on forums dot something is awful dot com.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Grandmother of Five posted:

I never saw LF, but my favorite thing about it is that, now, +30 years later, whenever LF gets brought up, some of the most weirdly bizarre people will just materialize in order to have extremely limp-wristed on-line slap-fights with each other, that they seemingly wholly belive to be an important part of some kind of culture war.

How else are people going to know that they were right?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

HoAssHo posted:

I think it was their attitude of "let's educate the wretched masses" that rubbed people the wrong way about it. Not the actual content of the threads so much.

The masses were wretched as gently caress though

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
its all about the tone is all and there is some nuance to it sure.

back to some like cool sagas like uhm. morte? we talked about morte in a while?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Don't you loving dare tone police the truth.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

RFC2324 posted:

There are just a few lovely posters who should go (black baby goku for instance)

BBG asked for and received a perma in May

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

The masses were wretched as gently caress though

I mean, you're not wrong.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

I never saw LF, but my favorite thing about it is that, now, +30 years later, whenever LF gets brought up, some of the most weirdly bizarre people will just materialize in order to have extremely limp-wristed on-line slap-fights with each other, that they seemingly wholly belive to be an important part of some kind of culture war.

LF was a lot more influential than a lot of people realize. It would be an exaggeration to say that LF caused anything, but after it closed, a lot of the biggest voices filtered out into Twitter, Tumblr and other platforms and took their rhetoric with them. The current state of things like /pol/ are a direct response to a lot of what came out of LF.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Calling each other "friend of the family human being" was never funny. There's times I miss the weird lawlessness of old GBS, but when I look back through the old threads I get reminded of why I really only used to post in Games and YCS.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

RFC2324 posted:

Right now is the most i have enjoyed gbs, tbh. I joined when it was hard core sjw, and the only think i ever liked about it was the tea party community thread (which didn't really fit in with the rest of the threads), and no rules made for people being edgy for the sake of being edgy, and dumb shock humor.

Geneaplicer did a great job, much as people talk poo poo. There are just a few lovely posters who should go (black baby goku for instance)

Lol GBS was never hard core SJW whatever that means

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

IF you do not know what it means then how do you knowit never was that

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Solice Kirsk posted:

Calling each other "friend of the family human being" was never funny. There's times I miss the weird lawlessness of old GBS, but when I look back through the old threads I get reminded of why I really only used to post in Games and YCS.

You didn't think "friend of the family" was funny and yet you posted in YCS?

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Scudworth posted:

BBG asked for and received a perma in May

what's the saga behind this one?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Heath posted:

LF was a lot more influential than a lot of people realize. It would be an exaggeration to say that LF caused anything, but after it closed, a lot of the biggest voices filtered out into Twitter, Tumblr and other platforms and took their rhetoric with them. The current state of things like /pol/ are a direct response to a lot of what came out of LF.

Ah, so that's who we have to thank for Trump presidency. Good stuff.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Heath posted:

i think you can draw a fairly straigt line between lf and stuff like chapo trap house, given their relationship with sam "redken" kriss

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

SciFiDownBeat posted:

what's the saga behind this one?

Some SAS idiot doxxed him so he closed his account

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Aw, Black Baby Goku was funny occasionally. :smith:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

You didn't think "friend of the family" was funny and yet you posted in YCS?

It took awhile for YCS to devolve to that as well. Probably when those poo poo posters were chased out of GBS.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Solice Kirsk posted:

It took awhile for YCS to devolve to that as well. Probably when those poo poo posters were chased out of GBS.

when did ycs close, because i feel like it was before 2009-2010

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Tardcore posted:

Some SAS idiot doxxed him so he closed his account

You got links for that? Because that's not what he said when he asked to be banned, citing boredom

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3819450&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post472035935

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

CharlestheHammer posted:

Lol GBS was never hard core SJW

LOL

Would you like to take a ride in a time machine back to 2007?

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Mammal Sauce posted:

LOL

2007 GBS was absolutely not SJW. That was still when they required complete sentences and capitalization, and pants-making GBS threads threads were still in vogue

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Mammal Sauce posted:

LOL

Are you stupid?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Mammal Sauce posted:

LOL

Oh you mean when GBS didn't believe in white privilege?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

when did ycs close, because i feel like it was before 2009-2010

I think it went away when LF, YOSOP, and YCS all got moved to the cancer ward or whatever. Can't remember the year, but you're probably right about it being before 2010.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Solice Kirsk posted:

I think it went away when LF, YOSOP, and YCS all got moved to the cancer ward or whatever. Can't remember the year, but you're probably right about it being before 2010.

Retarded Forums for Assholes or RFA

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
It was like 2011 I'm pretty sure. The whole RFA was shut down around the time LF was destroyed for the presidential assassination goon project.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

Hell I feel that's kind of true in general for sa, mention something obscure but oddly specific and a bunch of oddballs will appear with their opinions.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Solice Kirsk posted:

it was before that im p sure, i know rfa was LF and BYOB and someone elese

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

I Said No posted:

There was a guy in the goon SS13 community who claimed to have done this, doubt it's the same guy though since he wasn't really the kind to put up with posting in GBS.

EDIT:
Come to think of it i'm not sure you CAN just yank a tooth out with pliers. Had to get one of my teeth out once and the dentist had a hard time removing it by brute force even after drilling and chipping at it a bunch to weaken it.

hi this is me, it's literally true and i took pictures to prove it in case 'picture of tooth chunk' and 'picture of bloody socket i tore it out of' help you in a basic day
tooth chunk: http://i.imgur.com/ghLi9.jpg
socket: http://i.imgur.com/k0RSk.jpg

the tooth had to go and i didn't have insurance, and that's not even the worst thing i took pictures for proof of doing because IRC didn't believe me, namaste

edit again: no, i am not hollis mason

PopeCrunch has a new favorite as of 05:45 on Jul 12, 2017

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

Nuns with Guns posted:

It was like 2011 I'm pretty sure. The whole RFA was shut down around the time LF was destroyed for the presidential assassination goon project.

That happened like a year before LF was shut down. The real reason is because LF wouldn't stop making fun of groverhaus no matter how many threads were gassed which led to someone losing their temper, mass banning everybody who posted in the threads and LF being immediately closed

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Scudworth posted:

You got links for that? Because that's not what he said when he asked to be banned, citing boredom

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3819450&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post472035935

I heard it offsite.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Telsa Cola posted:

I vaguely remember this too, I think the guy got banned or permabanned. He was clearly not alright.

That was a lunatic probably-schizophrenic pedophile who called himself "Dr. Casio".

Gum posted:

That happened like a year before LF was shut down. The real reason is because LF wouldn't stop making fun of groverhaus no matter how many threads were gassed which led to someone losing their temper, mass banning everybody who posted in the threads and LF being immediately closed

They weren't just making fun of his stupid house, they were basically looking up his IRL street address on Google Maps and doing a lot of other creepy poo poo that was pretty much proto-doxxing.

Vincent Van Goatse has a new favorite as of 07:09 on Jul 12, 2017

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

i think you can draw a fairly straigt line between lf and stuff like chapo trap house, given their relationship with sam "redken" kriss

Jeb Lund was also a lf poster, if my knowledge of forum lore is correct. He did an interview with MSNBC where he had a Barnacle Jim book prominently displayed on his book shelf.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:
It's amazing to look back at how tolerated doxxing was back in the day. Helldump doxxed the poo poo out of people all the time and no one apparently had a problem with people digging through some guy's livejournal and myspace and posting his picture because he made some bad posts in GBS once.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

PopeCrunch posted:

hi this is me, it's literally true and i took pictures to prove it in case 'picture of tooth chunk' and 'picture of bloody socket i tore it out of' help you in a basic day
tooth chunk: http://i.imgur.com/ghLi9.jpg
socket: http://i.imgur.com/k0RSk.jpg

the tooth had to go and i didn't have insurance, and that's not even the worst thing i took pictures for proof of doing because IRC didn't believe me, namaste

edit again: no, i am not hollis mason

This was done to me as a child. I had a vaguely loose tooth and my mother's boyfriend was like "WELL TIME TO TOUGHEN UP, YOU PUSSY" and grabbed a pair of pliers and tore it out. He was not with us very long.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

HoAssHo posted:

It's amazing to look back at how tolerated doxxing was back in the day. Helldump doxxed the poo poo out of people all the time and no one apparently had a problem with people digging through some guy's livejournal and myspace and posting his picture because he made some bad posts in GBS once.

I enjoyed hell dump, especially Helldump v2k (v2 bitch) but yeah that poo poo couldn't fly nowadays.

I really think it kind of is what killed the sincere dorkiness of SA and turned it into this bitter jaded form is it now of all fake posts because everyone is afraid of being helldumped or whatever. That and no one posts on forums anymore of course.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Nuebot posted:

This was done to me as a child. I had a vaguely loose tooth and my mother's boyfriend was like "WELL TIME TO TOUGHEN UP, YOU PUSSY" and grabbed a pair of pliers and tore it out. He was not with us very long.

This is how i lost 90% of my baby teeth except it was my father yanking them out when they got loose

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Greatbacon posted:

Jeb Lund was also a lf poster, if my knowledge of forum lore is correct. He did an interview with MSNBC where he had a Barnacle Jim book prominently displayed on his book shelf.

He was Helldump superstar Boniface.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

HoAssHo posted:

It is kinda funny how a lot of people have swung to the other extreme, though. Seen so many people freak out over goons doxxing because they quoted something from their posting history, or whatever. :psyduck: