Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Len posted:

But most games don't do that?

Would you rather have pages of nothing but black bars? At first I thought having two threads was too much, but it made it so much easier to discuss endgame stuff that I am glad that change was made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
It's the same reason why Blizzard gets an entire subforum to itself, there's demand and enough activity to warrant it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Hunt11 posted:

Would you rather have pages of nothing but black bars? At first I thought having two threads was too much, but it made it so much easier to discuss endgame stuff that I am glad that change was made.

Yes?

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

please go play outside

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

You can't talk about the game in the game thread. Take that to the other game thread.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Sounds like you should start a thread to discuss whether or not there needs to be more than one Persona 5 thread.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

SatansBestBuddy posted:

please go play outside

That insult doesnt make sense

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
it's not an insult its life advice

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
So I just started playing P5 today, and I like it so far (though I'm only an hour or so into it). I just found Morgana.

Question: During the scene where you captured by the knights and are about to be executed, you get the choice, "It wasn't/Maybe it was." I chose "It wasn't". Does that affect anything, or does not it matter what you choose?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

If you pick the latter Arsene just laughs at you and says "No need for mere words. Show me your true feelings."

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Arist posted:

If you pick the latter Arsene just laughs at you and says "No need for mere words. Show me your true feelings."

Okay, cool. I don't know if this game (or the other Persona games) use the whole Law/Chaos alignment like SMT does, so I wonder if that choice affected it. I also thought maybe if you picked the latter, it would give you a game over/bad ending or something along those lines.

I have to say, the game seems like it takes a while to get going.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Max Wilco posted:

It has a much, much quicker start than the last couple of Persona games.

But yes, you're not wrong. It's a slow build.

NRVNQSR fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jul 13, 2017

Ayana
Jun 29, 2010

Hee-Ho!

Max Wilco posted:

Okay, cool. I don't know if this game (or the other Persona games) use the whole Law/Chaos alignment like SMT does, so I wonder if that choice affected it. I also thought maybe if you picked the latter, it would give you a game over/bad ending or something along those lines.

Nah, the bad/alternate endings have very obvious prompts. There are pretty clear failure state ends if you don't complete a palace by the time the plot's ready to move on but that's just a fancy 'game over' and it kicks you back around a week or so.

quote:

Actually, this one gets moving pretty quickly compared to Persona 4! :downsgun:

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Always pick the snarkiest choice in every dialogue option. And woo Makoto with cheesy pick-ups.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

If you didn't say "We hate the cops" you're on the bad ending.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Ayana posted:

Nah, the bad/alternate endings have very obvious prompts. There are pretty clear failure state ends if you don't complete a palace by the time the plot's ready to move on but that's just a fancy 'game over' and it kicks you back around a week or so.

Actually, this one gets moving pretty quickly compared to Persona 4! :downsgun:

Yikes, and Persona 4 was the one I wanted to play for the longest time.

I'm surprised that P5 has an English dub. Does P4 have one as well?

Yardbomb posted:

If you didn't say "We hate the cops" you're on the bad ending.

I don't remember getting that choice. I just got to the point where Morgana moves into your home.

EDIT: I just ran into it, and it came up while talking with the gunshop owner. I take it you're just making a joke?

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jul 13, 2017

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
gently caress the police, don't be a narc.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Max Wilco posted:

Yikes, and Persona 4 was the one I wanted to play for the longest time.

I'm surprised that P5 has an English dub. Does P4 have one as well?

Yeah, so does P3. The Persona series has been really popular in the english speaking world and most Atlus games have gotten dubs over the last decade.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

CharlestheHammer posted:

That insult doesnt make sense

The insult is in implying that you're at a greater risk of dying thanks to traffic or whatever and that your death would be welcomed.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Josuke Higashikata posted:

The insult is in implying that you're at a greater risk of dying thanks to traffic or whatever and that your death would be welcomed.

That's rude to Len.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

CharlestheHammer posted:

That's rude to Len.

I don't have enough :spergin: to see the point in two threads. Better go play in traffic. Makes perfect sense to me

Automatonic Water
Jul 8, 2012

dig thru the ditches
and burn thru the witches
and slam in the back of my.........
.........DRAGULA

Yams Fan
You don't have to be autistic to not want your gameplay question to get ignored and buried under three pages of a heated, spoiler tagged debate on whether or not Akechi really does like spicy food

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008
Does anyone still have that picture of Mara from Persona 4 with the suggestive skill list?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

So I'm on day 4/18, and I just out of the castle dungeon after getting to the third floor checkpoint. I'm also now getting the whole joke I saw circulating when the game first came out about Morgana pestering you to go to sleep when trying to do anything.

Is there anything I should do before heading back in? I think I got some stuff I can sell for treasure. I wasn't able to upgrade my gear much when I first found the weapon shop, so I'm thinking if I can get some better gear, I should have a smoother time next time I go in. In terms of Personae, I've got Arsene, Incubus, Agathion, and Kelpie.

Also, a question: Are you always under a time-limit in the game? I was wondering if it was possible to reach an point where you could grind for levels or work to try different combinations of Persona without the risk of game-over hanging over your head.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

78 hours later I finally finished the game. This may be the longest game I have every finished (I think P3 was shorter?)

Great game, ending had a difficulty spike but was still appropriately epic.

Now the question is whether I want to spend another eighty hours on new game plus...

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Max Wilco posted:

Also, a question: Are you always under a time-limit in the game? I was wondering if it was possible to reach an point where you could grind for levels or work to try different combinations of Persona without the risk of game-over hanging over your head.

Yeah the game is pretty much perpetually giving you new missions with deadlines you need to beat them by. It's no big deal since you can clear dungeons in a day anyway, and it's advisable that you try to as often as possible. The only times that's hard is early game, where you don't get many SP restoring items so you're basically going in and grinding until you're out of SP before heading home, but once you unlock coffee, and a maid who can make you coffee, you'll be making some every night and never need to worry about SP again.

Also I wouldn't bother selling treasure until you're starting the next the dungeon, since better weapons and armour unlock whenever a new mission begins, so you'll want to hold onto loot until you need some cash.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

DreamShipWrecked posted:

78 hours later I finally finished the game. This may be the longest game I have every finished (I think P3 was shorter?)

Now the question is whether I want to spend another eighty hours on new game plus...

Answer: you don't.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Yeah the game is pretty much perpetually giving you new missions with deadlines you need to beat them by. It's no big deal since you can clear dungeons in a day anyway, and it's advisable that you try to as often as possible. The only times that's hard is early game, where you don't get many SP restoring items so you're basically going in and grinding until you're out of SP before heading home, but once you unlock coffee, and a maid who can make you coffee, you'll be making some every night and never need to worry about SP again.

Also I wouldn't bother selling treasure until you're starting the next the dungeon, since better weapons and armour unlock whenever a new mission begins, so you'll want to hold onto loot until you need some cash.

I did end up selling the treasure in between visits. I'm on day 4/23 now, but I think I'm in the final stretch of the first dungeon. SP drain was the reason why I kept leaving, though, but it's good to hear there's ways of replenishing it later.

I've made a good deal of progress since I posted earlier. I fused a couple of Personae (I now have Aresene, Kelpie, Succubus, and Genbu). I thought about going back to earlier floors to recruit Persona to the empty slots, but it seems like that would be a drain on time and resources.

In terms of battle, I try to hit enemies with their weakness so I can do the Hold Up, and asking them for money/items. I'm wondering though if I should concentrate more on just fighting them for EXP (I'm at Level 7 right now).

Outside of the dungeons, I've also had some frustration. I checked out a book from the library because I read that you can read it on the train ride, but I wasn't given an option for it. I got the part-time job at the convenience store, but I don't really know how the schedule for it works. Are you just allowed to go when needed, or will you be fired if you don't come in enough? I ask because it seems like you're not open to do much else. My thinking is that I should try to capitalize on every opportunity to get better skills and stats before going back in, but it seems like it hasn't been very effective so far.

I will say that I got the Confidant with the doctor, and I'm going to try to attempt to finish the final dungeon tonight. If something goes south, I've still got a save on 4/18 I can revert back to.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

DreamShipWrecked posted:

A new game plus file won't take nearly as long as you will be able to blaze through dungeons backed by your endgame persona.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I've been following guides for social answers and today I've been getting one less star for everything (other than the room/coffee hangouts) than any guide says I should (ie: 2 rather than 3, 1 rather than 2)

Is there anything that would be causing that? A recent patch?

RME
Feb 20, 2012

match your persona

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Ah gently caress. I did just go on fusing spree. I must've always happened to have the right stuff in every other occasion.

TurkeyFried
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk:
So Makoto just joined my party. Her introduction day was probably the worst time I've had on a Megaten title.

So, she's been a pain in the rear end throughout the game. That's fine. She turned a blind eye to the abuse/sexual assault going on at the school. As she keeps getting bullied by those above her, she takes it out on the Phantom Thieves, and even blackmails them.

So far she's setup as a real nasty antagonist.

Then over the course of a single day, she fucks up big time, getting the gang in debt with a mafia boss. Then she gets instantly forgiven, becomes the key they need to proceed, and gets her Persona with perhaps 1/1000 of the emotional weight that the previous characters had.

All the while, the party keeps talking about how awesome she is. Ann goes off on her for a little bit at the beginning of the day, but quickly forgives her too. Makoto doesn't apologize till the end of the day, via text message.

Also she knows Aikido. Because of course she does.

Does it get better? I don't see how she could be redeemed as a character at this point. It's kinda killed my desire to keep going for now.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
No. You should stop playing immediately.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I also thought "what a nasty antagonist" during the gag tailing portion.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Oxxidation posted:

No. You should stop playing immediately.

So he is hating this very good game your gimmick?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Cavelcade posted:

So he is hating this very good game your gimmick?

Is not grasping sarcasm yours?

e: though my earlier post stands, doing NG+ right after a fresh run is a good way to make yourself hate most games

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Jul 15, 2017

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB

TurkeyFried posted:

So Makoto just joined my party.

You get plenty of reason to sympathize with Makoto:

Sae basically telling Makoto she's a leech on resources and her own time.
The principal who is obviously blackmailing her and taking advantage of her trust in adults.
The pressure put on her by the students/teachers and rumors that go with it.

Also, turning a blind eye to sexual abuse isn't true, unless I missed something. She questioned whether or not the principal knew of Kamoshida's actions.

Basically being told what to do all her life by people whom she expected to know better and learning that they're selfish and twisted was what brought out her inner motorcycle. Not to mention I like her awakening best; She called on her Persona demandingly, had the least amount of painful writhing and struggle, stomped on the goddamn floor hard enough to crack tile... She was definitely ready to accept rebellion..

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013
Makoto is a good and sweet and strong girl, put into a bad situation by evil adults.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

Yeah I liked Makoto's awakening the best because it was clear how much anger she had kept bottled up from all the poo poo she went through over the previous few weeks. Being blackmailed by the principal who covered up abuse and sexual harassment, being constantly yelled at by her sister, and finding out the student body was being scammed and extorted while being completely powerless to do anything about it definitely got the spirit of rebellion going in her.

Also her persona is a sick nasty motorcycle.