Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
"A guy from Britain" seems like a funny and weird way to refer to Warren Ellis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It's how you know they're not talking about Nick Cave's violinist.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

"A guy from Britain" seems like a funny and weird way to refer to Warren Ellis.
I mean, the only relevant point here is that he's from Britain, and I would've had to mention that he's from Britain anyways if I had used his name, and I didn't see any reason to mention his name because it wasn't relevant, so yeah.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Two episodes in and Castlevania is pretty cool

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

business hammocks posted:

It's how you know they're not talking about Nick Cave's violinist.

When I discovered the Dirty Three, for like 30 minutes I thought Warren Ellis the writer was actually in the band.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

nate fisher posted:

When I discovered the Dirty Three, for like 30 minutes I thought Warren Ellis the writer was actually in the band.

Conversely, I discovered the Bad Seeds and the Dirty Three in, oh, 1996 or 1997 or so, so a few years later when I heard about Warren Ellis the writer I was like, "Wait a minute, the violin psycho does comics?"

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It would honestly explain a lot and that guy is cooler than the real Warren Ellis anyhow.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Timby posted:

Conversely, I discovered the Bad Seeds and the Dirty Three in, oh, 1996 or 1997 or so, so a few years later when I heard about Warren Ellis the writer I was like, "Wait a minute, the violin psycho does comics?"

Hahaha same, especially since that was pre-Internet so I had no way of checking. I knew a lot of people who thought they were the same guy.

e: related, for anyone who hasn't let the Dirty Three grace their ear holes yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2xprLZAVbk

e2: also voted "band least likely to be Australian" in my brain

precision fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jul 10, 2017

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

The Void was interesting. Overall I really dug the tension and never-fully-explained mythos, it was like a Lovecraftian fort movie. The lower budget forced them into a higher suspense to brutal violence ratio than they might have gone with, and I'm personally kind of a sucker for wide eyed characters solemnly describing some horrifying thing the audience never actually gets to see clearly or at all. The third act did slow way down compared to the pacing of the rest of the movie though, and some of the setup at the beginning was a little uneven (they sure were mad at that meth head for no real reason, apparently even chucking the nurse's dead body into his room instead of just leaving her in a room that already had a dead guy in it, unless I was supposed to have gotten that she had walked in there after her becoming or whatever). Also, I am now scared of triangles.

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jul 11, 2017

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

The Void was partly interesting to me because the situation pretty quickly got so insanely dire that I abandoned any sense of hope for any of the characters. I felt very little tension when it came to chase sequences, narrow escapes, etc., and I'm not even sure that was a bad thing. By the end I was kind of impressed by the villain's dedication to his cause, and he even seems to have helped the main couple overcome their grief and reunite (albeit maybe only in some kind of freaky afterlife). I think I maybe got so desensitized by the gore (like the ridiculous amount of axe hits they dole out to the Bev-monster) that it stopped being shocking about halfway through.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Visually I thought it was cool if not a bit hokey at times, but I never found myself that invested in the story, possibly for the reasons you mentioned. It wasn't boring but I certainly didn't feel much tension or the need to find out what happens next.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

I liked The Void overall but yeah the story felt flat. A smaller complaint is that the green screen work (or whatever they used) in the final shot was bad and sort of unnecessary but hey it was low budget.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Can anyone recommend some fun B-movies on Netflix, Amazon, or Hulu? 80s or 90s scifi or action movies would be best, but other genres/decades would work too.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I can recommend you get a better taste in movies

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

DorianGravy posted:

Can anyone recommend some fun B-movies on Netflix, Amazon, or Hulu? 80s or 90s scifi or action movies would be best, but other genres/decades would work too.

Going to rerecommend The Wraith on Netflix. It's nuts in the best way.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot is surprisingly good. On Hulu.

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
The GLOW documentary is so good. You can really see how faithful the show was to these wrestlers and their collective story.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

precision posted:

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot is surprisingly good. On Hulu.

I need to give that another shot, because last time I stopped halfway through. I love 30 Rock but sometimes Tina Fey just rubs me the wrong way.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot wasn't nearly as funny as I'd hoped or as politically brave as I hoped. If you're in it for a character study of a journalist it's all right, I guess.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

DorianGravy posted:

I don't know if it's currently on any service (I saw it on Hulu a while back), but Nemesis is highly recommended. It's like 4 different movies wrapped into one utterly insane experience.

Netflix seems kinda bare at the moment. There's Mortal Kombat, the '95 Judge Dredd, and Spawn. All of those are probably a bit too high-budget for what you're looking for but they might work.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
P sure Prime has Chopping Mall.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

drunken officeparty posted:

Good, more B-movies for the rest of us.

Definitely watch Chopping Mall, it is amazing.

Super Fan
Jul 16, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

drunken officeparty posted:

B movies own

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
pfft, B movies, please. if you're not digging into the absolute worst VHS bargain box finds imaginable, you're elitist trash

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea, those of us who post in the horror thread ran out of B-movies, we moved on to C-movies years ago.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

david_a posted:

I don't know if it's currently on any service (I saw it on Hulu a while back), but Nemesis is highly recommended. It's like 4 different movies wrapped into one utterly insane experience.

Netflix seems kinda bare at the moment. There's Mortal Kombat, the '95 Judge Dredd, and Spawn. All of those are probably a bit too high-budget for what you're looking for but they might work.

the 95 Dredd is balls but Mortal Kombat unironically owns and Spawn is hilarious garbage that Michael Jai White and John Leguizamo manage to salvage some legit enjoyment out of

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

DorianGravy posted:

In the same vein as Chopping Mall, which is excellent, it is mandatory to also recommend Death Spa on Amazon Prime.

Also, all of Troma's movies are free on their YouTube, which gives you greats like Toxic Avenger, Class of Nuke'Em High, Tromeo & Juliet, Terror Firmer, etc.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Is Miami Connection still on Netflix? That's one of the greatest b-movies I've seen.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Enos Cabell posted:

Is Miami Connection still on Netflix? That's one of the greatest b-movies I've seen.

Sadly it isn't. It became too popular and Netflix didn't renew their rights or whatever.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Whenever Mortal Kombat is mentioned I feel obligated to watch it again.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

tweet my meat posted:

Whenever Mortal Kombat is mentioned I feel obligated to watch it again.

I did that just recently. Still owns.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Franchescanado posted:

it is mandatory to also recommend Death Spa on Amazon Prime.

HOW DID I NOT KNOW THIS?

Seriously, bring on the lovely 80's horror.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

enigmahfc posted:

HOW DID I NOT KNOW THIS?

Seriously, bring on the lovely 80's horror.

I think you should watch Nightmare Weekend, also on Prime.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

I think you should watch Nightmare Weekend, also on Prime.

FINE. I WILL.

Thank you.

It also recommended me "Demented Death Farm Massacre" and "Croaked: Frog Monster From Hell"

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Franchescanado posted:

FINE. I WILL.

Thank you.

It also recommended me "Demented Death Farm Massacre" and "Croaked: Frog Monster From Hell"

You have my permission to turn it off at the hand puppet.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

hemale in pain posted:

five elements ninjas is potentially the best movie I've ever seen.

It's been a year and a half since this was posted but I'd like to alert everyone that Five Element Ninjas (aka Chinese Super Ninjas) has moved to Amazon Streaming, for the few of you who haven't already seen it. I hesitate to say it's one of the best kung fu movies of all time, but it's safe to say that it's the Shaw Brothersiest kung fu movie of all time. There are golden ninjas who use their golden shields to blind their enemies. There are tree ninjas who hide inside trees and wait for somebody to come close so that they can hug them to death. There are water ninjas who, I kid you not, enter paddling down the creek with the aid of loving floaties. I swear, it looks like they're giggling to themselves inside their costumes.

The leader of the ninjas shows up, and in front of his face he opens up a fan that literally says "ninja" on it in Chinese.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jul 12, 2017

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I particularly like the bit where the ronin flicks the letter disdainfully at the Chinese.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

david_a posted:

Albert Pyun is a mad god, and Nemesis is the proof.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Basebf555 posted:

Good, more B-movies for the rest of us.

Definitely watch Chopping Mall, it is amazing.

"It’s not you....I guess I’m just not used to being chased around a mall in the middle of the night by killer robots."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Thanks for all the recommendations! I watched Five Elements Ninjas again, which is a fun movie. The only thing I don't like is the weird bits of ultraviolence. One guy loses a fight because he accidentally steps on his own intestine. Come on movie, that's gross.

Next up is Death Spa!