Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Paul MaudDib posted:

1070s were dropping below $300 at times before they got bought out a month or so ago. 1080s were flirting with $400.

I'd say 1070s are going to end up at $200-225. Since miners didn't buy up 1080s prices aren't going to tank as immediately/drastically, but they are still in the same market. And the 1080 in particular still isn't quite enough for 4K, it's a 1440p card still, so it's very subject to substitution by 1070s if the price is too high. I would bet we see $300-350 for 1080s after all of this hits the market.

A huge amount of those mining cards are 470/570 and 480/580 so those are going to be the prices that tank hardest. I wouldn't be surprised to see 480 4 GB models hit $100 and 8 GB models under $150. That's basically where they were before the mining bubble, but I think there's pretty good demand for them from gamers at the $100/150 price points.

I would be very curious to watch a graph of new units sold over the past 2 years and over the next 6-12 months.

I'm holding out for a $100 used mining 480 4gb to go in my ~4 year old computer. Hopefully that happens in the next month or two. Hopefully the bitcoin fork or whatever it is sends all the prices crashing hard.

That should be good enough for me until december or so, when I'll probably build an all-new computer with a volta card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

I'm glad my physical investment in this has been absolutely zero and I got a bunch of poo poo I wanted on Amazon on Prime day at half price with like £100 I wouldn't otherwise have had. I feel like I beat Bitcoin.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I would like to thank Bitcoin, cryptocurrency, and all of you for a good laugh these past few weeks. Keep it up!

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

Peachfart posted:

I would like to thank Bitcoin, cryptocurrency, and all of you for a good laugh these past few weeks. Keep it up!

bro laugh it up we're changin the world

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

the true currency we mine....is self-directed schadenfreude

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

The fact there's now over 1000 posts in this loving thread is amazing

I expected it to be gassed within a few days

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

the true currency we mine....is self-directed schadenfreude

I hate myself so bitcoin mining is perfect for me!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The mass sell-off of graphics cards is going to be delayed by two big subsets of the mining community

The first is composed of all of the people who don't pay for their electricity or who are just bad at accounting

The second is composed of the speculators who are gambling on ETH/BTC/etc being worth way more in the future. This group is a lot bigger than you may think and are entirely responsible for cryptocurrencies being worth anything at all

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Ill just say it. I like screen tearing.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I would buy a new fancy monitor but the fuckers stopped making 16:10 panels and the extra vertical space is really helpful for work.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

redeyes posted:

Ill just say it. I like screen tearing.

:catstare:

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
So is Bitcoin going to be split into two different coins?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Don Lapre posted:

So is Bitcoin going to be split into two different coins?

why stop at 2?

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

Don Lapre posted:

So is Bitcoin going to be split into a poo poo-ton of altcoins?

Fixed that for you, and yes it already did.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Fauxtool posted:

why stop at 2?

There is some fork they are doing and the chinese dont agree with the other 20% of bitcoiners about what to do or some poo poo.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
considering the chinese have the most mining power and use bitcoin in the most legitimate way, their coin will probably be the one that wins out

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
check ebay for auctions listed recently. There are several no reserve auctions up and they will probably end low. Even a few new shrink wrapped ones. Whether the seller honors the sale or not is a different story.

Asus, Gigabyte, and MSI all let you RMA broken GPUs even if you are not the original owner. These are the brands to buy

XFX wont help you if it breaks
Sapphire is okay if the card was never registered but they will need a proof of purchase from an authorized retailer so get the receipt or invoice from the seller.
EVGA will let you transfer a warranty but only if the card was registered within 90 days of purchase. The ones on ebay probably wont be but check.
VisionTek only warranties the original buyer

Dont buy these brands unless you are getting a screaming deal like $50 on a rx 580

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jul 12, 2017

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Fauxtool posted:

EVGA will let you transfer a warranty but only if the card was registered within 90 days of purchase. The ones on ebay probably wont be but check.

EVGA is known for having very good customer service and an RMA process superior to MSI (which I had no problem with personally) and especially Asus/Gigabyte. As a result they're one of the most commonly purchased new brands in the GPU thread for goons to buy then flip. Wouldn't be surprised if they'll work with you on a case by case basis anyway.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
they are great if you register the card after buying because you can transfer that warranty to anyone without restriction. If the original owner never registered and more than 30 days have passed you should not expect any warranty support

https://www.evga.com/support/warranty/graphics-cards/
I thought it was 90 days, but its actually 30

Their cards are very good and have excellent coolers so I would expect them to be fine regardless.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

EVGA has no 30 or 90 day rule on registration on gpus. The only rule they have is for their psu warranties to get 10 years or whatever.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
My point is that while it should not be expected, I would also not expect my card to break but if it did they might work it out for you given the near-sterling reputation for an AIB. It's not like EVGA gets much out of card registrations beyond marketing research.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Don Lapre posted:

EVGA has no 30 or 90 day rule on registration on gpus. The only rule they have is for their psu warranties to get 10 years or whatever.

Can you find where it says that? I can only find info supporting a limited window to register. but that is for a limited lifetime warranty. It would be nice to see in writing where they say its okay to RMA a 2nd hand card. ASUS, Gigabyte and MSI explicitly say the warranty is attached to the serial not the buyer.

My info is from the "EVGA Graphics Cards Warranty Terms" which confusingly lists several PSUs like it was pasted from those warranties.
There is a separate page for the PSU warranties with different terms

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jul 12, 2017

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Fauxtool posted:

Can you find where it says that? I can only find info supporting a limited window to register. but that is for a limited lifetime warranty. It would be nice to see in writing where they say its okay to RMA a 2nd hand card. ASUS, Gigabyte and MSI explicitly say the warranty is attached to the serial not the buyer.

My info is from the "EVGA Graphics Cards Warranty Terms" which confusingly lists several PSUs like it was pasted from those warranties.
There is a separate page for the PSU warranties with different terms

Evga doesn't do lifetime warranties anymore. That was for cards years and years ago. All their cards now are three year or one year for bstock and no receipt is even required. Though it will go by production date if you don't have one.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Prices on 1080tis seem to have risen on eebs? And amazon now I look at it

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid
Everyone who sold their mid tier gpus at insane prices sprung for a 1080ti (myself included).

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

hi guys, I made four dollars today selling collectable cards from video games I bought on steam, how is the profitability of cryptocurrencies lately?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

That's 4 dollars you can put towards your carpal tunnel syndrome treatment.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

You could be making entire dollars per day but at the expense of probably giving yourself cancer (if you live in one of the world's many coal-powered regions)

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Still making 4-4.5x power cost, this means still running nicehash

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Jokes on you, I live in a country with single payer health insurance so my carpal tunnel was fixed years ago at no direct cost to myself.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

I think the 7 layer burrito from taco bell is like $2.50. My 1070 is making like 1 1/2 a burrito a day now. Maybe more if I buy the shredded chicken burritos.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Stealthgerbil posted:

I think the 7 layer burrito from taco bell is like $2.50. My 1070 is making like 1 1/2 a burrito a day now. Maybe more if I buy the shredded chicken burritos.

we all have to make sacrifices to keep the dream alive

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

Risky Bisquick posted:

Still making 4-4.5x power cost, this means still running nicehash

Yeah after spending 10 mins on calculating I'm still gonna make £100 a month after power so it turns out it's still worth doing

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Stealthgerbil posted:

2 weeks ago, it was a chipotle burrito per day.

nerox
May 20, 2001

Twerk from Home posted:

2 weeks ago, it was a chipotle burrito per day.

2 weeks from now it will be one of those frozen bean burritos you get at the gas station for 50 cents.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Psh, 7-11 Taquitos on the hotdog rollers

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

In a few weeks I'll have to... pay for my burrito again 😱😭

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

In a few weeks I'll have to... pay for my burrito again 😱😭
:negative:

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Wow profits are actually trending in the positive direction today!

To the moon!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

MaxxBot posted:

Wow profits are actually trending in the positive direction today!

To the moon!

:smugdon:

• Locked thread