Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'd much much much rather have a dungeon every two levels than dungeons randomly skewed about levels just to be surprising. It's weird to me anyone would want differently? Like is being surprised really better than knowing there's always an on-level dungeon for you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldenPrice
Oct 2, 2013
Are there some specfic items i could buy with GC Seals that generally sell well?
Or some other general money making tactics that dont really focus on gathering?

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Saint Freak posted:

I mean, the completely safe but unsatisfying answer is that you're such a small percent of your team's damage, and then grit is a small percent of that, and then the amount of time you would be able to drop it is a small percent of the total time, so all compounded the answer is 'no one would ever notice the benefits of you dropping it, but if you do it wrong and lose aggro/die/wipe then holy poo poo are they going to notice that and also you lost more time than you would've ever saved'

Edit: And I guess you'd have to figure out if the healer is now doing less dps because they're babysitting you more.

The best healer's dps is enough lower than even a tank that this trade-off isn't really a thing

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Does the "play for free up to level 35" thing not work for accounts that have previously been subscribed? It's not letting me log in because I don't have a "valid service account".

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

ImpAtom posted:

I'd much much much rather have a dungeon every two levels than dungeons randomly skewed about levels just to be surprising. It's weird to me anyone would want differently? Like is being surprised really better than knowing there's always an on-level dungeon for you?

This whole line of discussion is really strange. Do people complain about metrical rhythm making songs predictable?

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

The Shortest Path posted:

Does the "play for free up to level 35" thing not work for accounts that have previously been subscribed? It's not letting me log in because I don't have a "valid service account".

yes it only works for fresh trials.
trying to login where? the game client won't let you in without an active sub (and won't let you download the game either), you can resub in mog station.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Also as someone who mains dungeons for leveling having one every 2 levels is good. Keeps things moving even when the last dungeon gets a bit of the short stick (which is a further motivator to actually getting there for another class.)

Harrow posted:

I'm not sure why "random drops with bad luck protection" is something nobody ever seems to do. Something like:

-snip-

Now you have the chance of getting a cool random drop earlier than you expect, but if you don't, you'll get it in a reasonable amount of runs, let's say roughly equivalent to the amount of time it'd take you to buy something equivalent with tomestones in the current system, maybe a little longer to account for the likelihood of getting the gear sooner. And you've done that without making all gear just be purchased from an NPC. All the excitement of random drops, none of the boring predictability of making everything about currency, and significantly lessens the frustration of never seeing a drop and/or finally seeing a drop and being outrolled.

Is there a glaring flaw with that system that I'm not seeing?

The two glaring flaws (aside from it already being implemented) that you're not seeing is the 'reasonable amount of runs' thing. Invariably that number is going to be larger than a player wants and yet smaller than the design team intends for content longevity, having the bad luck protection being currency in a dungeon's case also future-proofs that dungeon for inclusion into content designed to get people to run old stuff. Prime example: 99 tokens to get a primal mount guaranteed is ideal for content longevity but horrid in a 'reasonable amount of runs' perspective.

The other glaring flaw is that such a system depends on the content it's designed around, both in a player fun factor and in a 'time spent doing this content' factor. Invariably people will get bored of running stuff no matter how much they love it which leads to the Brayflox Hard problem of people blitzing the content and burning out on it (and the whole game in general.)

Both of these aren't problems that any system can 100% solve. It's up to the designers to pick their philosophy, stick to it and adjust it with feedback from the playerbase.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

There is at least one thing that is important for gear that you can't buy with tomestones and that's grade VI materia. The current system of only really being able to get it via hunts isn't great but it's not from tomestones.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Shy posted:

yes it only works for fresh trials.
trying to login where? the game client won't let you in without an active sub (and won't let you download the game either), you can resub in mog station.

Hm okay. What's the best way to buy the expansion, just their store page?

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

:black101: Break a leg! :black101:

The Shortest Path posted:

Hm okay. What's the best way to buy the expansion, just their store page?

Greenmangaming usually has it cheaper.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Kalenn Istarion posted:

The best healer's dps is enough lower than even a tank that this trade-off isn't really a thing

what? this is factually wrong

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009

Magil Zeal posted:

There is at least one thing that is important for gear that you can't buy with tomestones and that's grade VI materia. The current system of only really being able to get it via hunts isn't great but it's not from tomestones.

I think you can also get them from level 70 dungeons but the easiest way is hunts. You have a 50% chance to get a cracked cluster which you can turn in for any grade VI materia, and 40 seals which gets you a 1/10th of the way there to another grade VI

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Magil Zeal posted:

That or being a tank

:smuggo:

Reiterpallasch posted:

what? this is factually wrong

Ok, I should perhaps have qualified "in the groups I've run in the healer is never anywhere near tank dps"

Perhaps peak healer dps is higher than this, but I haven't seen it and can't access flogs from my phone easily to confirm this one way or the other.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I haven't really played much FFXIV endgame stuff before now, so I'm not sure how tomestones will work once Creation is added. I know Creation will be used to buy higher-level gear than Verity but also have a weekly cap on how much you can get. What roulettes/instances will give Creation, and what will give Verity?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Harrow posted:

I haven't really played much FFXIV endgame stuff before now, so I'm not sure how tomestones will work once Creation is added. I know Creation will be used to buy higher-level gear than Verity but also have a weekly cap on how much you can get. What roulettes/instances will give Creation, and what will give Verity?

Basically everything you do at level 70 will give verity. Most things you do at level 70 will give Creation as well. The biggest source is the daily bonus for doing Expert Roulette. Other good sources will be hunts and maps.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Can square please hurry up and copy WoW's wardrobe system so my inventory/retainers arent full of cool clothing at all times. Thanks.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Ok, I should perhaps have qualified "in the groups I've run in the healer is never anywhere near tank dps"

Perhaps peak healer dps is higher than this, but I haven't seen it and can't access flogs from my phone easily to confirm this one way or the other.

well, logs wouldn't help you much since nobody uploads dungeon runs to exdr; and dps stance tanks do signficantly more damage than healers single-target for sure.

but in dungeon runs, i'm generally beating the tank in even modest pulls (2 packs at a time) by a fair margin, and i'm nowhere close to the peak output for AST

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015
so I just fought susano normal for the first time.

that sword blocking mechanic is the loving best.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Just popping in to say that tomestones rule and are a big reason I am playing this and not WoW. Please do not do anything that WoW is doing in terms of acquiring equipment.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
hahahaa, I've discovered the coolest way to handle Holy on exdeath: if you get zombied, and it picks a target to attack, and that person gets knocked off, you'll zombie right off the cliff after him. I happened to get targeted by holy during this nonsense :v:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

EponymousMrYar posted:

Two more notches against that theory are that both died where it could be reasonable to assume that their blades couldn't be recovered and Zenos specifically said 'give your blade to the Butcher,' meaning said Garlean mauve shirt was being demoted in addition to giving her a Gunblade.

Oh right, that battle. Pretty sure he was using crazy Hissatsu that we don't learn (although the second similar fight also has them and they're a rather close Guren analogue.)

I mean, SAM gets a junior version of X-attack with Enpi. Maybe Enhanced Enpi should give it the same visual effect as theirs, but.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Magil Zeal posted:

The expert roulette dungeons seem to be dropping grade V and VI materia like candy though. Isn't that how most people do the weekly tomestone grind? So it's not like you're really doing anything different to get materia than you are to get tomestones.

(That said, randomly doing hunts to break up my crafting/gathering leveling grind has been a lot of fun over the last week or so. Glad I joined that hunt linkshell.)

jalapeno_dude fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jul 12, 2017

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Can square please hurry up and copy WoW's wardrobe system so my inventory/retainers arent full of cool clothing at all times. Thanks.

They're never going to do this. They would be killing the golden goose that is extra retainers.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Yoshi's also said to some effect that the 1.0 code actively prevents them from doing so (because apparently all of our inventories travel with us on every zone in.)

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I wouldn't be surprised if the code enabling aetherial items was such a huge spaghetti mess that it would be a pain to identify which items you have, even if they aren't aetherial

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

They would be killing the golden goose that is extra retainers.

Do that many people pay for it?

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

EponymousMrYar posted:

Yoshi's also said to some effect that the 1.0 code actively prevents them from doing so (because apparently all of our inventories travel with us on every zone in.)

After the talk that explained why it took so long for WoW's default starting bag to be increased from 16 slots I'm afraid to learn much about how Square handles inventories.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

nuru posted:

After the talk that explained why it took so long for WoW's default starting bag to be increased from 16 slots I'm afraid to learn much about how Square handles inventories.

It's still 16.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Captain Oblivious posted:

Realtalk: A Rowena boss fight is the perfect candidate for a Hildibrand side story trial.
"Sorry, Julyan. Your credit has been declined."

polish sausage
Oct 26, 2010
As someone who hasn't played since before the release of heavensward but looking to get back, would it be worth it to play through the heavensward story? It looks kind of neat but part of me really wants see all the eastern asian stuff that stormblood has.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

You guys having issues with the ps4 client having to be redownloaded after a power outage, it ended up being an issue with a faulty system update from sony or something, a new update is available that fixes the issue.

e-Eh, it was mentioned a few pages ago but its good repeating

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jul 12, 2017

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

polish sausage posted:

As someone who hasn't played since before the release of heavensward but looking to get back, would it be worth it to play through the heavensward story? It looks kind of neat but part of me really wants see all the eastern asian stuff that stormblood has.

Heavensward content is quite good. In my opinion better than Stormblood and it pains me to say that since I am a giant weeb. SB has better dungeons though.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

polish sausage posted:

Totally play through it, it's cool and not too long.
I mean if the alternative is boosting through it you'll regret it later.

Shy fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jul 12, 2017

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

polish sausage posted:

Yes, Heavensward is great. I was in the same boat and I'm glad I played through Heavensward.

I just finished Stormblood's MSQ yesterday and I think I liked it about as much. Heavensward is drat good, really. Plus, if you want to level, doing the MSQ is a decent way to do that.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!
What's the general consensus on the melee DPS classes? I made an alt on Excalibur recently and I'm looking to buy a level 60 jump potion, and since as I've only really played SMN, PLD, and AST on my main, I thought I'd try something different this time. Obviously raw damage output is going to change from patch to patch, but I'd rather not spend $25 on a jump and then find out that the class is going to feel like it's missing a button or three until I hit level 70 on it. I'm kind of thinking NIN at the moment, but I'm indecisive about these things.

polish sausage
Oct 26, 2010
awesome. heavensward it is then! I just remembered the original campaign was kind of a slog but then again all the qol stuff that seemed to happen to this game wasn't there.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

nuru posted:

Can you link that? It sounds fascinating.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Shy posted:

It's still 16.

It was a bleak talk.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

jalapeno_dude posted:

The expert roulette dungeons seem to be dropping grade V and VI materia like candy though. Isn't that how most people do the weekly tomestone grind? So it's not like you're really doing anything different to get materia than you are to get tomestones.

(That said, randomly doing hunts to break up my crafting/gathering leveling grind has been a lot of fun over the last week or so. Glad I joined that hunt linkshell.)

You're unlikely to be able to gear up a full set of gear on the back of very random VI drops from dungeons though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

What's the general consensus on the melee DPS classes? I made an alt on Excalibur recently and I'm looking to buy a level 60 jump potion, and since as I've only really played SMN, PLD, and AST on my main, I thought I'd try something different this time. Obviously raw damage output is going to change from patch to patch, but I'd rather not spend $25 on a jump and then find out that the class is going to feel like it's missing a button or three until I hit level 70 on it. I'm kind of thinking NIN at the moment, but I'm indecisive about these things.

NIN is very complete and the post-60 stuff is just overall nice additions, but you won't feel bad without it.

Source: I boosted a NIN.