Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

The correct answer is to use all six and swap them out for who feels most appropriate to the story at that time.

[Insert joke about never using Vaan or Panelo]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Why wouldn't you use the extra characters? They're at the very least three free Mist spammers.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
2000 pages of bitching about Final Fantasy

We did it everyone

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

BURN IT DOWN

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Mega64 posted:

2000 pages of bitching about Final Fantasy

We did it everyone

perfect time to gas thread and ban op

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
So I have this code to download background music or something. I redeemed it and I have no idea what it does. Can I use it on my main ps4 menu or something? That would be cool.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Elephant Ambush posted:

So I have this code to download background music or something. I redeemed it and I have no idea what it does. Can I use it on my main ps4 menu or something? That would be cool.

It's for the game itself. Go to the config menu and you can switch to it there.

It's just the original soundtrack for XII.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I should probably buy Zodiac Age, but I've already played IZJS, so it feels redundant.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Gologle posted:

I should probably buy Zodiac Age, but I've already played IZJS, so it feels redundant.

zodiac age looks so freaking good
it sounds so freaking good
it plays so freaking good

3 things izjs didnt have lol

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Gologle posted:

With 4x speed and dual-jobbing it'll be like you're replaying IZJS twice simultaneously.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Mega64 posted:

With 4x speed and dual-jobbing it'll be like you're replaying IZJS twice simultaneously.

This is actually extremely compelling.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

OneDeadman posted:

the final boss of Xillia 1 joins you for the sequel which is pretty much the second half of Xillia if that counts I guess?

The final boss of Trails in the Sky 1 joins your party in the 3rd game and is suitably ultra broken.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Zaggitz posted:

The final boss of Trails in the Sky 1 joins your party in the 3rd game and is suitably ultra broken.

I think at least 1 or 2 of the primary antagonists in the first Golden Sun game were the main protagonists in the second one

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

Kelp Me! posted:

I think at least 1 or 2 of the primary antagonists in the first Golden Sun game were the main protagonists in the second one

Kraden wasn't actually playable, but he remained the main antagonist.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Zaggitz posted:

whoa a giant non sequitur mech joins your party in trails 3rd?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

DrakePegasus posted:

Kraden wasn't actually playable, but he remained the main antagonist.

Huh? Kraden was a good guy. I meant Felix.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

The final boss of the 1952 and 1956 U.S. Presidential Elections Adlai Stevenson joins your party in FF6.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Yeah but unless you give him the Rage Ring he's not great

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
So after going through that gamefaqs link (thanks btw) this is how I think I'm going to build my nerds when I get to start playing in a little while:

Breaker/Hunter - Basch
White Mage/Machinist - Penelo or Fran
Samurai/Monk - Vaan
Knight/Time Mage - Balthier
Red Mage/Black Mage - Ashe
Archer/Uhlan - Fran or Penelo

I hate putting Penelo and Fran in stereotypical roles but based on their stats it just makes sense.

Any strong arguments one way or another? Any obvious flaws or drawbacks in this? I'm not looking to minmax but I want good builds that us as many classes as possible since this is my first time playing.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Elephant Ambush posted:

So after going through that gamefaqs link (thanks btw) this is how I think I'm going to build my nerds when I get to start playing in a little while:

Breaker/Hunter - Basch
Samurai/Monk - Vaan

I hate putting Penelo and Fran in stereotypical roles but based on their stats it just makes sense.

Any strong arguments one way or another? Any obvious flaws or drawbacks in this? I'm not looking to minmax but I want good builds that us as many classes as possible since this is my first time playing.

-has a samurai
-has a whm
-has a knight

yeah id say youre set

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

So uhh is there supposed to be a black bar on the bottom of the screen during the opening cutscene after the config in XII?

Edit. Hah apparently it's for the subtitles and also the cutscenes were like that in XII originally. It's been a while since I play XII lol.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

So thoughts as far as what to do with these two characters?

Ashe and Penelo are both apparently strong magic users. My original thought was to do Black Mage/Monk on Penelo, but I figure that might be better for Ashe. Maybe I could do Red Mage/Time Mage on Penelo?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Wasn't Fran one of the best Breakers due to her high vitality?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I can not stress this enough, the game is so extremely easy that even if you make a party of six machinists you will be able to beat the game. Just assign jobs you like to the three characters you think are the least awful to stare at for 30-80 hours and you will assuredly be making good choices(tm).

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Nihilarian posted:

Maybe, but I am using Balthier for that.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
I'm assigning red mage to Penelope and the dagger class to Vaan to start with. Are those classes now locked from the other characters?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Calaveron posted:

Man it's so much pressure, I never played the original XII, but is this system of permanent class assignment better than what was originally in place?
What was originally in place was "everyone is the same, except for their tiny differences in base stats and their sprites". So yes, by a mile.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Hey Mr. DiMaggio can you come in and record your lines even though you have the worst cold of your life

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Does Shikari not gain access to Shields 1? Just seems like an oversight since it has Shields 2 onwards. also a shame you can't dual-wield, I want Fran running around hacking up poo poo with a pair of knives.

Mega64 posted:

The final boss of the 1952 and 1956 U.S. Presidential Elections Adlai Stevenson joins your party in FF6.

But he goes missing for a dungeon in the middle.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Meridian posted:

Maybe, but I am using Balthier for that.
that question was more in response to Elephant Ambush

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
In the DQ4 remake for the DS, after you beat the final boss for the first time you can do a sidequest which makes it so you convince him to stop being evil and you go beat up his evil advisor instead.

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006

Nihilarian posted:

She is, until Scorpion Tail F (renamed to Vrscika in ZA) is acquired. Balthier and Basch have ~15-30% faster axe/hammer animation speed which ends up mattering a lot when using a weapon with higher combo chance.

Edit: Scorpion Tail F can also be farmed up surprisingly early.

Corvinus fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jul 12, 2017

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Elephant Ambush posted:

Breaker/Hunter - Basch
Samurai/Monk - Vaan

Glad I'm not alone in disliking the Lady White Mage stereotype. I refuse to indulge in it.

Vaan: Monk
Penelo: Machinist
Balthier: White Mage
Fran: Foebreaker
Basch: Time Battlemage
Ashe: Red Battlemage

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

DACK FAYDEN posted:

[ASK] me about Sazh and Vanille being the best characters in FF13 for damage somehow, and it not being remotely close (Blitz and Death respectively, since everyone could get Poison)

FYI Fang and Snow didn't learn Poison. I'd argue Hope as well since he doesn't learn base poison, only poisonga which was garbo

Death is kinda cheating though, unless you mean just how strong it is as a base move. It's still good, though I was pretty sure Sovereign Fist/Highwind during stagger was stronger

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Ventana posted:

FYI Fang and Snow didn't learn Poison. I'd argue Hope as well since he doesn't learn base poison, only poisonga which was garbo

Death is kinda cheating though, unless you mean just how strong it is as a base move. It's still good, though I was pretty sure Sovereign Fist/Highwind during stagger was stronger
I forgot Snow didn't. I did know Fang didn't! (and never bothered to use Hope, gently caress that guy)

And I did actually mean Death in COM/COM/COM for when you needed to hit 99999 at a relatively lower level, Highwind could easily be superior though. Been long enough I haven't done the math :shobon:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

Glad I'm not alone in disliking the Lady White Mage stereotype. I refuse to indulge in it.

Vaan: Monk
Penelo: Machinist
Balthier: White Mage
Fran: Foebreaker
Basch: Time Battlemage
Ashe: Red Battlemage

white mage Krile is the cutest character in any video game so you can gently caress right off!!!!!

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

what's the hardest final fantasy that isn't 2

not counting post game superbosses like dark aeons/penance

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

what's the hardest final fantasy that isn't 2

ff3-ds, where every boss is a superboss that can wipe your party in one exceedingly common unlucky rng roll

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

ff3-ds, where every boss is a superboss that can wipe your party in one exceedingly common unlucky rng roll

i was about to edit to say "not 3" as well

most of those early games maybe aren't that good, including 4 which has good characters but sucks because it isn't 5 or 6

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

4ds is probably the toughest that's not bullshit or archaic

maybe lightning returns if you have bad reflexes