Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Maxwell Lord posted:

I get Sage Genesis' complaint: a lot of times I'll read a review of some "Weird Fantasy" or OSR product that's basically "It sure is weird! 10/10!" Like this was the thing about Carcosa, apart from the really sick stuff it's "this hex has 3d10 shoggoths ridden by Purple Men" and this very dry presentation, but the content was strange so it could not be questioned. There's a lot of words-not-the-music in RPG writing.

Yeah, I was actually going to raise the same point Sage Genesis did earlier myself but deleted it because I couldn't frame it in a way that didn't come across as assholish to me (I think Sage did a much better job for the record). I don't really think it's a huge issue exactly but when all someone can do to sell me on a game is enthusing about how it has atomic bees in its monster manual, atomic bees, I just instantly start checking out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
I should probably make a Bee Thread at this point. :v:

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Who cares about bees

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZ1eAM8CChc

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
As an aside I've been thinking of doing an RPG campaign where everyone is bugs, and I wasn't really sure how to handle the gap between those who can fly and those who can't. My first thought was to restrict PCs to flightless bugs and have bees be the setting equivalent of angels / celestial outsiders -- perhaps the closest to whatever mythic source gave them all sapience. :angel:

Really it's just an excuse to stat up Anteater Cthulhu, though.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Last Stand style, rip off those fuckers wings and glue them to your back.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Jimbozig posted:

Of course, the book doesn't say any of this... A book that made this sort of thing explicit would be a better book, I think. Presenting them both side-by-side in the bestiary makes them seem like the same kind of game element, but I don't think they are at all. They are as different from one another as a magic item is from an NPC.

I'm gonna throw in a plug for the 13th Age Bestiary here. It's 40 classic D&D monsters with 240+ adventure hooks. I've seen very few books with a higher adventure-to-page-count ratio.q

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

As an aside I've been thinking of doing an RPG campaign where everyone is bugs, and I wasn't really sure how to handle the gap between those who can fly and those who can't. My first thought was to restrict PCs to flightless bugs and have bees be the setting equivalent of angels / celestial outsiders -- perhaps the closest to whatever mythic source gave them all sapience. :angel:

Really it's just an excuse to stat up Anteater Cthulhu, though.

Most insects have wings, actually; some only have them at certain stages (e.g. termites) and others have vestigal wings. There are a handful of orders of insects that don't have wings, but you'll be relegating your PCs to for example bristletails, diplurans, proturans, silverfish, fleas, or springtails. Many of these may turn off your players due to the grossness factor. Perhaps your best bet is ants or termites: they only have wings during certain seasons, and only reproductive males or queens.

A lot of insects have wings that people don't realize. For example, almost all beetles have wings and only a few of the winged beetles can't fly. And there's probably about a million species of beetles.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jul 11, 2017

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

Most insects have wings, actually; some only have them at certain stages (e.g. termites) and others have vestigal wings. There are a handful of orders of insects that don't have wings, but you'll be relegating your PCs to for example bristletails, diplurans, proturans, silverfish, fleas, or springtails. Many of these may turn off your players due to the grossness factor. Perhaps your best bet is ants or termites: they only have wings during certain seasons, and only reproductive males or queens.

A lot of insects have wings that people don't realize. For example, almost all beetles have wings and only a few of the winged beetles can't fly. And there's probably about a million species of beetles.

I never said anything about wings, just flight! That's still pretty cool, though.

Either way I'm not going for biological accuracy here, I just really enjoyed Hollow Knight and this classic cartoon.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
What if games were bees?

Also, the solution is pretty simple, TC. Everyone starts out as a larva and they don't get flight until they mature into adults. The ones that don't get full on flight get some equivalent ability. Like, say, a grasshopper that can't sustain flight, but gets what amounts to spring attack, letting it attack any flying enemy as it hops past 'em.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I've been thinking of doing an RPG campaign where everyone is bugs

Have you seen Infestation RPG? It's pretty much exactly what you describe.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Foglet posted:

Have you seen Infestation RPG? It's pretty much exactly what you describe.

What's it like mechanically?

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I never said anything about wings, just flight! That's still pretty cool, though.

Either way I'm not going for biological accuracy here, I just really enjoyed Hollow Knight and this classic cartoon.

start them all as some non descript beetle and let them mutate features from other bugs as they kill and eat them

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

What's it like mechanically?

It's based on the Pip System which it shares with Mermaid Adventures. They recently had a Kickstarter for a setting-neutral system corebook to be released soon ("literally any day now" grade of "soon"). I personally liked it, the basics are available here.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
All this talk about bears and bees makes me yearn for the days when TG would talk about apes.

Fighting.

APE FIGHT.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1RYSy55KtA

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Sage Genesis posted:

Good question. Those Atomic Bees sound lame. It's basically just The Jetsons Effect - you take a normal thing and slap prefixes on it ("space" in the case of The Jetsons).

So first you have some kind of bees, which live in hives and make honey. They pollinate flowers and if they sting you, you die. Now they're some kind of atomic bees, which live in nuclear hives and make atomic honey or whatever. There's also super-flowers and super-death if you get stung. This is basically the very lowest kind of "creativity" you can get.

Here, watch. I'll do it right now. I'll make uh... lunar bees. Sure.

So the moon itself is a giant hive, alright? And every full moon the lunar bees descend from heaven at night to drink deeply from the uh... I dunno, the night orchids which only bloom under the full moon? Sure. And their sting mutates you into a raging werewolf until the next dawn, so people think that it's some curse that repeats once a month and then they hang a guy and the problem doesn't repeat itself. Which is tragic because it was just an insect sting and nobody would've transformed next month (unless they got stung again of course) so the "solution" was just post-hoc correlation, lending my setting irony and pathos.

There. Am I creative enough yet? Do I get money now?

Wait. gently caress, I forgot about the honey. Uh... it's like this stuff which looks like molten silver and it's really great in some unspecified way. Cool, saved it.

Not convinced yet?

Ok, volcano-bees. They're these little obsidian bastards who fly out of the volcano once a century to drink up entire forests (they inhale the smoke, so it does involve burning the surrounding earth for miles around). Lava is actually volcano-honey. Your adventure is to rush into an evacuated town and steal all of its treasure while the volcano-bees get ever closes, a glittering swarm of roiling sparks. But be careful, besides the bees there's plenty of Bigger Animals and Quirky NPCs on your journey to contend with! On drivethru now for $5.99!

There's really nothing to this. Hoplite-bees, dragon-bees, nano-bees, junkyard-bees, chrono-bees, a child could do this stuff.

Shadowrun had lightning bees years ago. Siberian Bees. They'd developed a skill to get rid of large predators, like say bears, in that each one could deliver a little shock... or a whole swarm could magic up a full on lightning bolt.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jul 11, 2017

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Maxwell Lord posted:

I get Sage Genesis' complaint: a lot of times I'll read a review of some "Weird Fantasy" or OSR product that's basically "It sure is weird! 10/10!" Like this was the thing about Carcosa, apart from the really sick stuff it's "this hex has 3d10 shoggoths ridden by Purple Men" and this very dry presentation, but the content was strange so it could not be questioned.
Yeah, aside from the spells being super gross, a huge chunk of the book is hex-by-hex descriptions that are just " XdX [Colour] Men led by a Xth level Fighter called 'The Florid Adjective of Reading Jack Vance but Not Getting It.'"

The defense of the spells is that they're meant to be adventure seeds, not necessarily used by the PCs. But they typically involve stuff like gathering ingredients that are spread all over the entire world. So they're more like campaign seeds, and the rules for random encounters are so deadly that the party probably die long before they cross the map.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I like the atomic bees and their ecosystem, but as the kind of thing I'd read about. There's a lot of weird narrative potential there, but it's opaque to the pcs unless they're weird naturalists.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

I like how Mouse Guard has rules for when you have to deal with too many insects.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Halloween Jack posted:

The defense of the spells is that they're meant to be adventure seeds, not necessarily used by the PCs. But they typically involve stuff like gathering ingredients that are spread all over the entire world. So they're more like campaign seeds, and the rules for random encounters are so deadly that the party probably die long before they cross the map.

There was also a lot of gross-out sex stuff in Carcosa.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
To me the atomic bees immediately suggested the hook another poster mentioned, their incredibly precious honey. It's one reason I like fluffier monster write-ups that detail more about their personality and habits (the dread "ecology") since that lets me better think about how to incorporate them into scenes. Plus I just enjoy that kind of detail. Of course, it's just as easy to lay that out in a section of "monster hooks." It really would be a benefit to a lot of bestiaries, especially ones offering relatively more sophisticated critters than the Ankheg level of 'burst out, attempt to eat adventurer'.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

gradenko_2000 posted:

There was also a lot of gross-out sex stuff in Carcosa.
Well yes, it should go without saying that "It's not for the PCs to use!" is not an excuse to write dozens of rape/murder fantasies into an RPG.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Halloween Jack posted:

Well yes, it should go without saying that "It's not for the PCs to use!" is not an excuse to write dozens of rape/murder fantasies into an RPG.

A lesson the Exalted team never learned.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
If this is the wrong thread, correct, but I think I'm ready to go to Kickstarter on a Tabletop RPG project.

I've spent some time working on a Shonen Jump inspired Roleplaying Game called Friendship, Effort, Victory.

The rules are here.

Here is an example of play.

My plan:
  • Get some art
  • Do some budgeting
  • Make all that public
  • Put up a sales pitch
  • Open some accounting books
  • Borrow my brother's HD camera for a KS video
  • Set the Goal at around 1000 USD
  • Spend the money on art and layout
  • Don't do stretch goals or, if I do, focus on art instead of additional content to avoid getting stuck with unfulfilled promises like all the other PBtA KS (except Gnome7's)
  • Do backer reward tiers as such: $1 you get the playtest packet now, $10 you get the pdf (expected to retail at 15 USD, you say $5), $20 you get an at-cost receipt for the physical book, and that's it because I don't plan on making outrageous demands I don't really want to fullfill
  • Market on google+, twitter, here, rpg.net and any other place I can get away with it without seeming like a complete and total rear end in a top hat

What do y'all think?

Is this the wrong place to ask?

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Liquid Communism posted:

A lesson the Exalted team never learned.

Man, gently caress Exalted.

Fuxalted.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Halloween Jack posted:

You'd really think the RPG industry would have learned by now that if content is even theoretically PC-accessible, some player will want their PC to use it, and even if it's completely PC-inaccessible, it sets the tone for the game that the players will follow, so the tone of a game line is often set by its lowest point. That's a moot point for Carcosa and LotFP, where the lowest points are clearly the intended tone no matter how much people claim otherwise, but it's done terrible things to games like Exalted. (Although it's not like the Exalted team didn't just keep digging this hole for itself, edition after edition.)

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Covok posted:

If this is the wrong thread, correct, but I think I'm ready to go to Kickstarter on a Tabletop RPG project.

What do y'all think?

Is this the wrong place to ask?

I'm by no means a KS expert, but I did have done a couple campaigns, so:

• How much $ do you need? Did you budget for 1000 USD? IME you should figure out how much you'll need (including KS fees), then add half that again as a buffer in case something comes up.
  • $1 for the playtest packet is a great idea—I did that for Retrocausality and some people backed for the text, read it, and upped their pledge after. It might be a good idea to also say the $1 tier is for people who just want to see updates for now—I do this all the time so I can get emails and usually up my pledge based on what I see.
  • This load of KS advice links collected by Fred Hicks helped me, though some of it is more board game related IIRC.
  • Be prepared to describe how DriveThruRPG's print on demand system works a million times because it is weird. I found that if you make it clear that people still save money by backing they just roll with it since that's the important thing :v:
  • There are two ways to advertise on RPGnet: Starting a thread in the ad forum, or waiting until someone else starts a discussion thread in the general forum. Starting a discussion thread for your own game is usually viewed as advertising and frowned on these days but if someone else starts it (and they're not obviously starting it on your behalf) you should be fine.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Ettin posted:

I'm by no means a KS expert, but I did have done a couple campaigns, so:

• How much $ do you need? Did you budget for 1000 USD? IME you should figure out how much you'll need (including KS fees), then add half that again as a buffer in case something comes up.
  • $1 for the playtest packet is a great idea—I did that for Retrocausality and some people backed for the text, read it, and upped their pledge after. It might be a good idea to also say the $1 tier is for people who just want to see updates for now—I do this all the time so I can get emails and usually up my pledge based on what I see.
  • This load of KS advice links collected by Fred Hicks helped me, though some of it is more board game related IIRC.
  • Be prepared to describe how DriveThruRPG's print on demand system works a million times because it is weird. I found that if you make it clear that people still save money by backing they just roll with it since that's the important thing :v:
  • There are two ways to advertise on RPGnet: Starting a thread in the ad forum, or waiting until someone else starts a discussion thread in the general forum. Starting a discussion thread for your own game is usually viewed as advertising and frowned on these days but if someone else starts it (and they're not obviously starting it on your behalf) you should be fine.

How does DTRPG print on demand system works? I'm still in the absolute basic planning stages. Haven't got the quotes yet. The 1000 USD is just a starting price as I start to consider what I need. Trying to keep costs around there somewhat since, well, I'm risk averse and don't know if I could get more for that on KS.

That said, thanks for advice! That's super helpful! I'm also looking at a kevin crawford article on KS campaigns from his experience.

What would you say, since you've run three, are the chances of people deciding they need an anime rpg in their life?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
There can never be enough anime in the world, according to my anime-loving friends.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Azran posted:

There can never be enough anime in the world, according to my anime-loving friends.

And there isn't that many of them either so that's my main angle. Plus, it's been focused to do Shueisha battle manga. Though, it won't say that because Shueisha is a company that could sue me so hard that I might call them in the morning after to setup a second date. But, what I mean is, I feel focusing on a particular play experience gives you niche protection and it allows you to better design your game.

That's another thing: how much can I say before I invite legal trouble? It's inspired by some copyrighted series. How close can I get? What can I say or not say before I get a throatful of lawyer?

Covok
May 27, 2013

You know, on this subject, everyone should read Kevin Crawford's Sandbox #1. He really goes into details about how to setup a kickstarter and all the decisions you need to make first.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Covok posted:

That's another thing: how much can I say before I invite legal trouble? It's inspired by some copyrighted series. How close can I get? What can I say or not say before I get a throatful of lawyer?

Anyone who can give you a detailed and accurate answer to this question probably won't do so without being paid. In terms of general non-legal advice, you should probably err on the side of caution since regardless of the actual legality, if a company goes through the effort to send you nasty messages it's unlikely you'll have the money to do anything but shut down your project.

Covok
May 27, 2013

blackmongoose posted:

Anyone who can give you a detailed and accurate answer to this question probably won't do so without being paid. In terms of general non-legal advice, you should probably err on the side of caution since regardless of the actual legality, if a company goes through the effort to send you nasty messages it's unlikely you'll have the money to do anything but shut down your project.

Direct and brutal, but true.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
You seem to have covered a lot of the main points, but I will throw in that you want to build an aufience for your game BEFORE you launch the KS, and that you will want to devote the KS period to nothing but marketing for it.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

gradenko_2000 posted:

You seem to have covered a lot of the main points, but I will throw in that you want to build an aufience for your game BEFORE you launch the KS, and that you will want to devote the KS period to nothing but marketing for it.

This is sage advice for any project. Covok, if you don't have an audience already, you should delay your launch and spend a few months running playtests on different forums and stuff.

Covok
May 27, 2013

slap me and kiss me posted:

This is sage advice for any project. Covok, if you don't have an audience already, you should delay your launch and spend a few months running playtests on different forums and stuff.

Hmm, that is an interesting idea. I was thinking of recording either an audio only or video playtest for marketing and, reading over Sandbox #1, I probably should consider doing layout myself so I need some time to learn and master indesign. So, I guess I should try that. That way I can get some free quotes and opinions I can use as well as people who will sell the game for me.

Honestly ,this is a great idea!

Covok
May 27, 2013

Edit: No idea why that double posted.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Covok posted:

Hmm, that is an interesting idea. I was thinking of recording either an audio only or video playtest for marketing and, reading over Sandbox #1, I probably should consider doing layout myself so I need some time to learn and master indesign. So, I guess I should try that. That way I can get some free quotes and opinions I can use as well as people who will sell the game for me.

Honestly ,this is a great idea!

Glad you like it. One thing I've noticed when pitching my stuff is that people often ask for examples of play - logs and videos, not concept examples.

If you can manage, try to record a session or two in several different mediums. That'll lower barriers to access and let peeps see your system run in a manner that's convenient to them.

Covok
May 27, 2013

slap me and kiss me posted:

Glad you like it. One thing I've noticed when pitching my stuff is that people often ask for examples of play - logs and videos, not concept examples.

If you can manage, try to record a session or two in several different mediums. That'll lower barriers to access and let peeps see your system run in a manner that's convenient to them.

Yeah, that'd probably go better than the fake example of play I wrote up using the names of my old college friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
Right. You want your marketing examples of play to be distinct and tonally different than your examples that explain rule concepts.

• Locked thread