Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

jng2058 posted:

There's J. Michael Straczynski, who admittedly goes by "Joe" to his friends.

He didn't want to be credited as "Joe" and decided that "J. Michael" was the most professional-sounding name permutation.

David O Selznick was born just David Selznick with nothing in the middle but he had an uncle of the same name so he added the O to avoid confusion. It wasn't short for anything, it was just the letter.

Actual comic content:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Late Unpleasantness
Mar 26, 2008

s m o k e d
superheroes.txt

(Seven Soldiers: Zatanna #2)

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!

robziel posted:

I'm kind of surprised that Jimmy isn't involved in any of that, also

That story, Action Comics #105, came out in 1947. While Jimmy had appeared in the comics a few times (after appearing first as a character on the radio show), he wasn't a major player in the comics until 1953 following the TV show hitting the air.

Trans-media corporate synergy in comics is not a new phenomenon

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

jng2058 posted:

There's J. Michael Straczynski, who admittedly goes by "Joe" to his friends.

It's to ease people into his surname. Starts with one letter, then proceeds to something with two syllables, then Straczynski. :D

Dimestore Merlin
Jul 14, 2007

Obey your Spider-Lord

Ghostlight posted:

Possibly - I have a friend who goes by his middle name and he was born in 82. Coincidentally his first name is also Robert.

Are you secretly my friend? I'm a Robert born in '82 who goes by his middle name. Too many Roberts in the family.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
To continue the famous made up initials talk, actor Michael J Fox actually doesn't have a middle name. He added the J for weird SAG rules because there was an actor in the 40s and 50s with the same name. When asked what the J stands for, apparently his default answer is "Genius"

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Choco1980 posted:

When asked what the J stands for, apparently his default answer is "Genius"

What a Jenius might look like:

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Choco1980 posted:

To continue the famous made up initials talk, actor Michael J Fox actually doesn't have a middle name. He added the J for weird SAG rules because there was an actor in the 40s and 50s with the same name. When asked what the J stands for, apparently his default answer is "Genius"

The correct answer is "Jitters".

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Then at the end of the last issue a guy talks about how his friend found a piece of the jacket and smoked the joint in it, completely loving him up.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Choco1980 posted:

His actual middle name is Andrew, but he didn't want to be Michael, A Fox

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Teen Titans #8

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

The talking dog is a nice trick, but I'm more curious about what the gently caress is going on with that guy's hand in the third panel.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Section Z posted:

The talking dog is a nice trick, but I'm more curious about what the gently caress is going on with that guy's hand in the third panel.

He's... crossed his arms and is holding a 50 dollar bill???

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Kwyndig posted:

He's... crossed his arms and is holding a 50 dollar bill???
Other guy, whose right hand is apparently transparent.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

:ssh: the guy sitting down has raised his hand, but the colourist has just copied and pasted the same body base file on all three panels :ssh:

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA
I'm also wondering if the barkeep was supposed to be wearing something on his head

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

darthbob88 posted:

Other guy, whose right hand is apparently transparent.

And also bifurcated at the wrist into two hands.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Roth posted:

I got some pretty cool back issues today, such as the first issue of Runaways Vol 2 signed by Brian K. Vaughn, and an old issue of Ghost Rider that I bought purely for this cover

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
drat, that's a good cover

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
Feels so familiar.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

What book is this?

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Yvonmukluk posted:

What book is this?

The Filth by Grant Morrison.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Jesus some stuff doesnt age well. Or ages hilariously. I cant tell..

Thor Prince of Power #3

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Synthbuttrange posted:

Jesus some stuff doesnt age well. Or ages hilariously. I cant tell..

Thor Prince of Power #3

Ages hilariously.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

The font is a nice touch.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Justice League Task Force #7

Martian Manhuntress.

"Did you just misgender me?"

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Nice transphobia Jonn. :(

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

This is great, what's it from?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

A Strange Aeon posted:

This is great, what's it from?

Now that i'm home from work and had a chance to poke at it a bit, it looks like it is probably just amazing fan-art and not from an actual book or ad or something.

https://alanmooreworld.blogspot.com/2015/06/the-guiding-intelligence-of-alan-moore.html

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Say Nothing posted:

Teen Titans #8

I--a man living in a world with Superman, The Flash, and all manner of insanity--am not suspicious at all of a bright green dog and a man asking me to bet on him doing something unusual. I deserve to retain all of my money.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Esp when the owner is obviously wearing a fake mustache

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
On the other hand they clearly have powers so maybe you just pay them not to piss them off.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

mind the walrus posted:

I--a man living in a world with Superman, The Flash, and all manner of insanity--am not suspicious at all of a bright green dog and a man asking me to bet on him doing something unusual. I deserve to retain all of my money.

IIRC that's from Scott Lobdell's awful TT run and that's Beast Boy doing a cold open for Totally-not-Saturday Night Live.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Shovelmint posted:

A little late to the Animal Man talk, but is all post-Morrison Animal Man bad or just the rest of that run? Because I've become very enamored with Jeff Lemire as of late (Holy gently caress! Sweet Tooth!), and was considering checking out his New 52 Animal Man, though his body of work is so large, there's many others I could read first. I've never touched Essex County and they have it at my library.

Lemire's Animal Man was generally agreed upon as one of the best books of the New52 reboot, and I for one loved it. It does drag a bit during the Rotworld crossovers, but if you're plowing through it in tpbs it might read better than when I was waiting for a new issue every month. Travel Foreman nailed the art, too, esp the horror/fantasy aspects. It wraps up neatly at the end of Lemire's run, so I'd heartily recommend it.

Going back to funny Animal Man, this scene always cracks me up on re-reads:

Oh, Ralph and Sue. :sigh:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

bunnyofdoom posted:

On the other hand they clearly have powers so maybe you just pay them not to piss them off.
Point.

TwoPair posted:

IIRC that's from Scott Lobdell's awful TT run and that's Beast Boy doing a cold open for Totally-not-Saturday Night Live.
Ah, this also makes sense. I like bunnyofdoom's explanation better.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Transformers manga.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
idgi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wyntyr
Mar 27, 2006

Kiss Players exists, and that's the joke.

I don't think that's from Kiss Players, but still.