Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Wheat Loaf posted:

I feel like there's been less active speculation this year. I know that's erroneous but I think there was a lot more "Who could it be?" when Tennant and Smith left. Perhaps it's because speculation coalesced around two or three actors (Kris Marshall, Phoebe Waller-Bridge and, at least early on, Olivia Colman) fairly early on.

I haven't really heard anything about Marshall since the flurry of speculation leading to the closure of betting on him earlier in the year, actually, which is odd given you had all those non-BBC news sites "announcing" him as the next Doctor.

The issue with all of these is that the BBC wants a handsome man, and Kris Marshall doesn't cut it, imo. It's probably either Tom Rosenthal or Chris Mason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

And More posted:

The issue with all of these is that the BBC wants a handsome man, and Kris Marshall doesn't cut it, imo. It's probably either Tom Rosenthal or Chris Mason.

Quite.

Luke Treadaway and Sacha Dhawan have been mentioned.

(Dhawan is the only one who can realistically follow Capaldi on the eyebrow front.)

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Wheat Loaf posted:

(Dhawan is the only one who can realistically follow Capaldi on the eyebrow front.)

Seems to me like he's busy being swallowed up by the Marvel multiverse.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I know there's no way but God I really want Tamsin Grieg.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

HopperUK posted:

I know there's no way but God I really want Tamsin Grieg.

In an old thread I saw somebody suggest that her, Dylan Moran, and Bill Bailey should be co-Doctors and it's not clear which one of them it actually is. I've always loved that pipedream.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Still think they should do a full year of having a different actor playing the Doctor every episode. Even between two halves of a two-parter. Get a bunch of people who wouldn't normally commit to a year or more of the show, but would be happy (or at least willing) to do a single episode.

No explanations, either. No regeneration scenes, no technobabble, nobody in the show notices or remarks on it in anyway whatsoever, no nothing. Just, one episode it's Dame Judi Dench, next it's Jürgen Prochnow, next it's [whoever]. Wouldn't that be awesome? And can you imagine the wailing and gnashing of teeth over "canon" as idiot nerds try to reconcile it all? It would be glorious.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

docbeard posted:

Five episodes into The Invasion and I'm having a blast. I already knew how much fun Two and Jamie are together but they're amazing in this, Vaughn is such a wonderful scene-chewing villain, and the screaming berserk Cyberman is loving terrifying.

.....Packer... :smug:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Still think they should do a full year of having a different actor playing the Doctor every episode. Even between two halves of a two-parter. Get a bunch of people who wouldn't normally commit to a year or more of the show, but would be happy (or at least willing) to do a single episode.

No explanations, either. No regeneration scenes, no technobabble, nobody in the show notices or remarks on it in anyway whatsoever, no nothing. Just, one episode it's Dame Judi Dench, next it's Jürgen Prochnow, next it's [whoever]. Wouldn't that be awesome? And can you imagine the wailing and gnashing of teeth over "canon" as idiot nerds try to reconcile it all? It would be glorious.

That's dumb as poo poo.

gently caress IT I'M ON BOARD

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

Invasion was the first Doctor Who I ever saw. I had at the time the general idea that I should start anything I watch from the beginning and having not at the time any way to actually do that, I ignored the new show and picked up a couple of DVD's at the local Book and movie place. It was Invasion, Five Doctors, and I think the Sea Devils. Luckily I watched Invasion first. It cemented in place my favorite Doctor and companions right off the bat and I walked around smugly calling my buddy Packer for at least a day. I got around to watching the new show which was at about half way through the Donna season at that point a little later and was hooked ever since.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Alright, that's a decent game! 12 episodes, 12 one off Doctors! Pick your Time Lords!

1) Ashley Walters
2) Tom Wlaschiha
3) Frances de la Tour
4) Alan Davies
5) Jeff Goldblum
6) Eddie Izzard
7) Tamsin Grieg
8) Idris Elba
9) David Warner
10) Yrsa Daley-Ward
11) Donald Glover
12) Paul McGann ("you might find yourself revisiting just a few...")

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Actually, just have McGann as 8. Imagine a Two Doctors season story arc where 8 pops up in 4-6 episodes plus the finale.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
1) Tamsin Grieg
2) Olivia Colman
3) Reece Shearsmith
4) Doon Mackichan
5) David Anders
6) Idris Elba
7) John Simm (yes)
8) Michelle Gomez (YES)
9) Philip Glenister
10) Rahul Kohli
11) Sam Rockwell
12) James Purefoy

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I didn't realise until now that I wanted an Alan Davies Doctor. The Doctor's Iconic Duffel Coat

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Q_res posted:

Actually, just have McGann as 8. Imagine a Two Doctors season story arc where 8 pops up in 4-6 episodes plus the finale.

I was always only half joking when I'd say that the schedule gaps in the revival should be filled with a 6 episode run of 8th Doctor Adventures :)

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

We had it wrong this whole time. Peter isn't becoming Pertwee, he's becoming Tom. :stare:

Well it is the regeneration order!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I hope somebody from the BBC notices Peter's hair and goes,"Well poo poo we can't get rid of him now...."

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

2house2fly posted:

apparently today was Peter Capaldi's last day filming. I'm going to miss seeing how much more insane his hair can get

https://twitter.com/AdamOrford1/status/884469127620022273

From the same twitter:

https://twitter.com/AdamOrford1/status/856660207103082497

Well to be technical, it's David Bradley as Peter Capaldi as Jon Pertwee. :allears:

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
One thing I've thought of for a regeneration episode is have the Doctor regenerate with a new actor...

But he still has the old personality, and doesn't feel he has regenerated.

In fact, before shooting, they go through the episode with the old doctor, and make notes of his movements and phrasing, basically blocking, almost rotoscoping the new actor onto his phrasing, mannerisms, etc. Have this go on for 20 or 30 minutes and then...BANG! He finishes regeneration with his new persona.

Alternatively, use other old doctors, during regeneration he pops between them each for a few minutes, before settling on another one. (This would also explain why they have changed, Davison could be Davison as he looks now because its not supposed to be the original one, its just a brief reverbation in his biomorphic signature, etc.)

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Are the specials streaming anywhere? It seems Doctor Who isn't on Netflix, so I've been watching it on Amazon, but they skip straight from The Next Doctor to season 5. :(

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Bicyclops posted:

Are the specials streaming anywhere? It seems Doctor Who isn't on Netflix, so I've been watching it on Amazon, but they skip straight from The Next Doctor to season 5. :(

Look up Doctor Who: The David Tennant Specials on amazon. I just looked they are there

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I've seen Aidan Turner's name thrown in in some article at some point although I'd think that would be more likely if Toby Whithouse was show running. If we absolutely had to have another white dude he'd be pretty great, especially if they let him keep his accent and throw in some more isn't Gallifrey a place in Ireland? jokes.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

glowing-fish posted:

One thing I've thought of for a regeneration episode is have the Doctor regenerate with a new actor...

But he still has the old personality, and doesn't feel he has regenerated.

In fact, before shooting, they go through the episode with the old doctor, and make notes of his movements and phrasing, basically blocking, almost rotoscoping the new actor onto his phrasing, mannerisms, etc. Have this go on for 20 or 30 minutes and then...BANG! He finishes regeneration with his new persona.

Alternatively, use other old doctors, during regeneration he pops between them each for a few minutes, before settling on another one. (This would also explain why they have changed, Davison could be Davison as he looks now because its not supposed to be the original one, its just a brief reverbation in his biomorphic signature, etc.)

They almost kinda did this with Time and The Rani--when Sixie regenerated into 7, he was unconscious and seemed to still think he was C Bakes--but there was a lot of post regeneration mental instability in there, and it didn't last long.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

bobkatt013 posted:

Look up Doctor Who: The David Tennant Specials on amazon. I just looked they are there

Thanks. :lol: that not even Amazon can classify the specials correctly. During the 100th anniversary special some kid is going to be asking "I'm doing a complete watchthrough (yes, including the pre-hologram years, before the Sixth Extinction), and I need help on figuring out which order the last five episodes of the David Tennant era aired."

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Bicyclops posted:

Thanks. :lol: that not even Amazon can classify the specials correctly. During the 100th anniversary special some kid is going to be asking "I'm doing a complete watchthrough (yes, including the pre-hologram years, before the Sixth Extinction), and I need help on figuring out which order the last five episodes of the David Tennant era aired."

It won't last that long, our glorious dalek overlords won't allow it

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Astroman posted:

They almost kinda did this with Time and The Rani--when Sixie regenerated into 7, he was unconscious and seemed to still think he was C Bakes--but there was a lot of post regeneration mental instability in there, and it didn't last long.

Don't forget Eleven seeing Prisoner Zero turn into himself and just going "who's that, it's rubbish :confused:".

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Don't forget Eleven seeing Prisoner Zero turn into himself and just going "who's that, it's rubbish :confused:".

In the first episode of the revival, Nine assesses his ears.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Astroman posted:

From the same twitter:

https://twitter.com/AdamOrford1/status/856660207103082497

Well to be technical, it's David Bradley as Peter Capaldi as Jon Pertwee. :allears:
It's One cosplaying as Twelve posing as Three

Now we just need Six's coat, Ten's sonic, Four's scarf, Five's hat, Two's bowtie, Eight's wig, and Eleven's ham

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

thexerox123 posted:

In an old thread I saw somebody suggest that her, Dylan Moran, and Bill Bailey should be co-Doctors and it's not clear which one of them it actually is. I've always loved that pipedream.

I don't remember if that was me or if I just stole someone else's previously existing idea, but I remember suggesting it at one point using this photo:

and IIRC, someone followed up with the brilliant suggestion that they would just rotate being Doctor, Companion, and Master amongst the three of them. :v:

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
There is nothing I want more than capaldi to regenerate into capaldi, although I would also accept missy regenerating into capaldi.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Organza Quiz posted:

I've seen Aidan Turner's name thrown in in some article at some point although I'd think that would be more likely if Toby Whithouse was show running. If we absolutely had to have another white dude he'd be pretty great, especially if they let him keep his accent and throw in some more isn't Gallifrey a place in Ireland? jokes.

Eleanor Tomlinson as the Doctor; Aidan Turner as her assistant. :v:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Astroman posted:

Davison also did the thing where he mirrored the earlier Doctors at the start of Castrovalva, resulting in some awful impressions.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

Hahaha, I've finished it now and the comedy styling of Vaughn and Packer were my favorite part.

PACKER: Have you considered that maybe we should kill the Doctor/his friends/UNIT?

VAUGHN: Of course not, Packer, they can't possibly do anything to stop us.

PACKER: They just did something to stop us.

VAUGHN: THIS IS YOUR FAULT

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTuQPrANJho

I really hope this means we'll be getting a Series 9-10 OST

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

I had one hell of a time locating Day of the Doctor on Amazon. Can't just search "Day of the Doctor", the result that comes up is unavailable for streaming. No, you have to search "Doctor Who: The 50th Anniversary Collection" (listed as Season 50 on Amazon) and then go to Episode 8, which is Day of the Doctor.

Thanks, Amazon.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Bicyclops posted:

Thanks. :lol: that not even Amazon can classify the specials correctly.

Streaming is in this weird miasma of poo poo right now. Netflix continues to hemorrhage non-original content (the streaming library in the US is now under 4,000 titles; a few years ago it was around 13,000), Amazon's got the worst interface in human history (and can't catalog anything properly to save its life), and Hulu's just kind of ticking along with random things here and there because the networks realized, "Wait, why do we each co-own a chunk of one service when we can each launch our own service and get that sweet :tenbux: directly to us, instead of splitting it?"

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Timby posted:

Streaming is in this weird miasma of poo poo right now. Netflix continues to hemorrhage non-original content (the streaming library in the US is now under 4,000 titles; a few years ago it was around 13,000), Amazon's got the worst interface in human history (and can't catalog anything properly to save its life), and Hulu's just kind of ticking along with random things here and there because the networks realized, "Wait, why do we each co-own a chunk of one service when we can each launch our own service and get that sweet :tenbux: directly to us, instead of splitting it?"

And people wonder why I still buy physical media

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I'm going to go on the record and say I don't care what race or gender the person the BBC casts the Doctor is. Find someone who fits the role and is good at acting.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Big Mean Jerk posted:

And people wonder why I still buy physical media

poo poo hasn't started disappearing from iTunes....yet.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

IRL, I've known two fans of the show bothered about which gender/sex/race the Doctor should/could be. The guy thought the Doctor should/could be a woman and/or ethnic minority, the gal was insistent that the Doctor shouldn't/couldn't be a woman. I was never quite able to piece together her reasons though.

Also:

quote:

Rumours Suggest New Doctor Who May Be Not Just For loving Nerds

http://waterfordwhispersnews.com/2017/07/05/rumours-suggest-new-doctor-who-may-be-not-just-for-loving-nerds/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

They should get a woman in the role because women are criminally neglected for great leads and this would be a step toward changing that. It obviously should be someone good for the role and nobody thinks otherwise, so "I just want them to get someone good at acting" is a meaningless statement. "I don't care what gender or race the character is" is basically just a way of saying "I don't care about diversity." :shrug:

It's going to be a white dude, though.

• Locked thread