Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

If the guy is in the rehab program then he defaulted.

He probably was in forbearance and the interest was capitalized hence why it ballooned so much. Happened to me when I was younger and was actually able to do the settlement in a lump sum thing for less than the original principal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21

This is incredible. I was reading through trying to figure out how I never had seen this before, until I realized I posted in the drat thread. There have been so many bwm stories here that I've forgotten about great ones.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
I walked in to a conference room at the tail end of the story involving artificial insemination. Apparently the wife of one of my coworkers has two dressage horses as a hobby. She one day "hopes" to compete professionally. "She paid for the horses, but I pay the mortgage, rent, food, vet bills, etc. "

That's all I got, but you guys/gals can speculate wildly from there.

Edit: Update! His wife was trying to breed her mare with a stud from out of state, so paying to have horse jizz fedexed to her on the regular. No foal ever came of it.

H110Hawk fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jul 11, 2017

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Illinois raised taxes, retroactive to the start off the year, by passing the first state budget in 2 years. This still didn't begin to solve its budget problem though, and many counties have property taxes in the top 50 in the nation. BWM death spiral/state bankruptcy incoming.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

H110Hawk posted:

I walked in to a conference room at the tail end of the story involving artificial insemination. Apparently the wife of one of my coworkers has two dressage horses as a hobby. She one day "hopes" to compete professionally. "She paid for the horses, but I pay the mortgage, rent, food, vet bills, etc. "

That's all I got, but you guys/gals can speculate wildly from there.

I read that too fast and thought they had some kind of horse mortgage.

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

I read that too fast and thought they had some kind of horse mortgage.

HELOC = Horse Equity Line of Coitus

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Damnit, we've been through this. It's horse equinty.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Hoodwinker posted:

Damnit, we've been through this. It's horse equinty.

The problem with a horse equinty line of credit is that you end up saddled with debt.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

When the subject is this serious, my enthusiasm for punnery withers.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Liquidity

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Horse brought to water, would not be compelled to drink.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Doc Hawkins posted:

I hope no one else spurs on this pun derail.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Solice Kirsk posted:

I was just foaling around :(

April
Jul 3, 2006

So. Many. Bad. Decisions.

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/6mlzl4/found_out_dad_secretly_has_40k_in_credit_card/?st=j5044p8o&sh=5cdea954

quote:

Background: my dad (69) was a taxi driver and my mom is a maid. My mom (59) takes home about $30k a year, we're not sure what my dad made but around $20k a year is what he reports.
Me and my brother just graduated college and will be entering the work force. My mom is still working and my dad just retired.
Problem 8 years ago my mom learned that my dad had $50k in credit card debt. My mom was devastated, so we had to refinance our mortgage to get a lower interest rate. As of today, we still have $250k on our mortgage left with 3.5% interest.
Now today we just found out my dad opened more credit cards and is now $40k in debt. We're not sure what to do. I want my mom to retire at a reasonable age, but I also don't want to cripple myself financially making big monthly payments.
What is the best way to go about this? We haven't confronted our dad about finding out yet, because he will only yell and be non-responsive. He's also in the hospital now recovering from a heart surgery, so we don't want to have the conversation in the hospital.

How could they even get a 250k mortgage with only 50k in income? Actually, it would have been more than that, it was taken out 8 years ago... how did they get that size mortgage with such a massive credit card debt? And what is he spending 40k on since then? And he just retires with all that CC debt?

No horses here, but still pretty bad.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

monster on a stick posted:

I was just foaling around :(

Solice Kirsk posted:

Doc Hawkins posted:

monster on a stick posted:

The problem with a horse equinty line of credit is that you end up saddled with debt.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

April posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/6mlzl4/found_out_dad_secretly_has_40k_in_credit_card/?st=j5044p8o&sh=5cdea954

How could they even get a 250k mortgage with only 50k in income? Actually, it would have been more than that, it was taken out 8 years ago... how did they get that size mortgage with such a massive credit card debt? And what is he spending 40k on since then? And he just retires with all that CC debt?

They probably bought the house a long time ago and it has appreciated in value quite a bit so the $250k mortgage is only half the value of the house or something.

This is classic BWM though; people mortgaging against the increased value of their house to pay off their consumer debt, only to accrue more debt and the cycle continues until a recession causes home values to decrease and they get foreclosed.

April
Jul 3, 2006

And the bad decision train just keeps on chuggin along....

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/6mphmm/we_sold_our_house_i_lost_my_income_we_have_more/?st=j5056kyv&sh=340e1a42

quote:

Our monthly bills are going to exceed our income by about $560 each month. We just sold our home and stand to make about 34,000 after realtor fees etc.
This is a list of our monthly debts: -
Mortgage: $713 (27 years @ 6%) -
Personal Loan 1: $604 ($12,600 remaining / 22 months remaining / 5.49%) -
Personal Loan 2: $584 ($23,500 remaining / 45 months remaining / 6.29%) -
Rent: $522
Truck: $652 (8.99% / 6 years / $23K Remaining)
Car: $323 ($6300 remaining / 3 Years Remaining)
Student Loan ($50 / 6.8% / 3 Years Remaining)
Internet: $45
Cell Phones: $80
Utilities: $220
Gas: $200
Car Insurance: $300
Going Out and Groceries: $520
Netflix: $10
Planet Fitness: $20
= $4850
Income: $875 per week
Rental Income: $765 per month
= 4250 (Negative six hundred dollars per month)
Total Current Credit Card Debt: $7000
My inclination is to pay off the credit card, Personal Loan #1, and the Car. That leaves about $8000. and brings us into the positive by $300 per month. My next thought was to refinance the truck and use some of the $8000 as a down payment to lower that monthly payment. (Our credit scores are about 730.) And that might leave about $5000 in savings.
(I'm also aware that the biggest pitfall here is food. We're already eating home more and I think we'll probably spend about $40 per week on groceries. I'm hoping with meal prep that number will drop even further.)
Would you recommend a different use of the $34000? I know the car interest is no greater than 3%. Usually it's the last thing on my mind as far as which debt to pay off first. But the loss of my income has me a bit spooked. (I am applying to jobs but I'm not banking on that until the check is in my hand.)
Thank you.

$36k in personal loans, vehicle payments over $1k/month.....

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

April posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/6mphmm/we_sold_our_house_i_lost_my_income_we_have_more/?st=j5056kyv&sh=340e1a42

Are they paying rent, while owning a rental property? Am I reading that correctly?

April
Jul 3, 2006

Solice Kirsk posted:

Are they paying rent, while owning a rental property? Am I reading that correctly?

I haven't seen any updates or clarifications yet, but it does look that way. While also paying a mortgage for the rental property. Given that he took out a 6-year (or longer) loan for a truck, I'm willing to bet that he will say that the rental property is "too small" or something.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

:aaaaa:

Wedding...good (with money}?

quote:

Parents' divorce decree says my father is supposed to pay for my wedding. Is that enforceable?

I want to believe

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jul 12, 2017

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

You're good people.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

April posted:

Because the kids just graduated college I’m assuming they’re not using we in the royal sense and that mortgage is family debt and not their own. Because holy poo poo that would suck bailing out your parent only to have them rinse and repeat.

As for what banks will lend, my sister just got a 393k mortgage and I think she makes about 70k a year. She qualified for that on her own since her husband’s income can’t be counted.

So banks will lend. A lot.

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe

Guest2553 posted:

:aaaaa:

Wedding...good (with money}?

I want to believe

Cousin spent 100,000,000 krw on her wedding (about 90kusd) and got 250,000,000 krw in envelopes

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

April posted:

6% interest on their mortgage...

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

April posted:

Given that he took out a 6-year (or longer) loan for a truck

At 9%. With a credit score of 730. :psyduck:

They're paying $1500 a month on vehicle expenses.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

curufinor posted:

Cousin spent 100,000,000 krw on her wedding (about 90kusd) and got 250,000,000 krw in envelopes

Rich people with rich friends and family can usually come out ahead on gigantic weddings. The sad part is two people with $25k incomes spending $90k on a wedding. Even if they recoup that back in gifts (not likely) it still shows a fundamental lack of understanding about financial decision making. You can make it all the way through high school and never be taught how to balance a check book, but you're sure as poo poo gonna be forced to know some of the state capitals!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

It took me way too long to get this, bravo

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Ok, now I finally got it too.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Solice Kirsk posted:

You can make it all the way through high school and never be taught how to balance a check book, but you're sure as poo poo gonna be forced to know some of the state capitals!

I'm not sure how to make this sound socially acceptable because I'm me. So let me just present my experience from being in high school in the 90s:

- "smart kids" went to academic classes where they learned college prep stuff like accelerated math, science and languages

- "normal kids" got the same, but not as advanced

- "dumb kids" got some of that, but also things like a class called "math for life", where they were actually taught how to balance a checkbook, make a budget for a home, shop for basic necessities, etc.

I'd say the last group probably got the best deal here.

ninja edit: including the fact that they were actually presented with trade school options instead of just "you have to go to college or you're a failure. Underwater basket weaving degrees count just as much as any other one. Just go to college."

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
I'm none too canny with this sort of thing, could someone please explain?

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Vox Nihili posted:

The derail bird is a toucan.

Tou-can: Two cans.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Motronic posted:

I'm not sure how to make this sound socially acceptable because I'm me. So let me just present my experience from being in high school in the 90s:

- "smart kids" went to academic classes where they learned college prep stuff like accelerated math, science and languages

- "dumb kids" got some of that, but also things like a class called "math for life", where they were actually taught how to balance a checkbook, make a budget for a home, shop for basic necessities, etc.

Yeah, I went to dumb maths in high school, 2006-2008.

Same system, except I vaguely remember trigonometry being taught as well.

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe

Motronic posted:

ninja edit: including the fact that they were actually presented with trade school options instead of just "you have to go to college or you're a failure. Underwater basket weaving degrees count just as much as any other one. Just go to college."

30 kids in my 11th grade linear algebra class. I keep up with like 15 of them. Of the 15, 6 use that poo poo in day to day life, including myself

so you just need to go to like the 30th best school in the nation to see real use out of that hmm

e: lol balancing a checkbook like it's 1999
e, futher: lol the task of making a budget is way the gently caress easier with 10k/mo takehome rather than 3k/mo takehome hmm

curufinor fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jul 12, 2017

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Sic Semper Goon posted:

The derail bird is a toucan.

Tou-can: Two cans.

Vox Nihili posted:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Solice Kirsk posted:

You're good people.

For some reason I didn't get the joke until you said this completely not-informative thing and then I did :confuoot:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Motronic posted:

Here the dumb kids math class was just "exactly what is on the state achievement benchmark tests and nothing else, all the time forever" because schools getting budget cuts if kids aren't doing well is a terrible harmful policy that breaks everything.

At least we had vocational classes (like a car repair garage) but they were separate and you did them as an elective.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

curufinor posted:

30 kids in my 11th grade linear algebra class. I keep up with like 15 of them. Of the 15, 6 use that poo poo in day to day life, including myself

so you just need to go to like the 30th best school in the nation to see real use out of that hmm

e: lol balancing a checkbook like it's 1999
e, futher: lol the task of making a budget is way the gently caress easier with 10k/mo takehome rather than 3k/mo takehome hmm

This is the saddest humblebrag

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
i feel like being GWM falls squarely under the list of things you should be learning from your parents anyway, along with things like empathy and being a good person. it's a lifestyle choice more than anything.

but yeah also lol at the balancing checkbook thing

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Zo posted:

i feel like being GWM falls squarely under the list of things you should be learning from your parents anyway, along with things like empathy and being a good person.

I think this might be the problem here.

Also doesn't help that talking about money seems to be so stigmatised that parents are more likely to give their children an effective sex education than an effective financial education. See also:

quote:

"you have to go to college or you're a failure. Underwater basket weaving degrees count just as much as any other one. Just go to college."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe

ate all the Oreos posted:

This is the saddest humblebrag

I wish that was a humblebrag

e: if you want to categorize that post, it's more of a "god is dead, dehumanize and face to bloodshed"

curufinor fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jul 12, 2017