Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Friendly reminder that BCBS has been really, really bad with protecting its data and has paid out millions for HIPAA violations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Please fund the Kickstarter for my new startup. It's basically PhishMe but for USB security. Donators will be entered into the raffle to have their voice as the sound clip playing at maximum volume when someone plugs it in.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Please fund the Kickstarter for my new startup. It's basically PhishMe but for USB security. Donators will be entered into the raffle to have their voice as the sound clip playing at maximum volume when someone plugs it in.

may i submit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qileP4bAzek

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Migishu posted:

https://i.imgur.com/mqB3dpU.mp4

This speaks to me on so many levels

http://nedroid.com/2016/04/mr-fix-computer-2/

Alternately:
http://www.theonion.com/multiblogpost/my-computer-totally-hates-me-vs-god-do-i-hate-that-11538

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I love these :allears:

But yeah, count me in for a new engraved higher capacity SA IT USB.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Sometimes I wish I knew someone working at a place that produces marketing items, I'd love to engrave/print/etc. on small items and shirts but the overhead cost is atrocious.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Drunk Canuck posted:

https://twitter.com/og_tjg/status/884756210267893761

Was this posted here, I feel like this should be posted here.

I started to type out something about how I don't understand how no one told them this was a bad idea, and then I deleted it all because I understand completely that no one asks their IT people anything and if they did they'd ignore the advice they got.

My bank's unverified Twitter account once asked me to DM them account information.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-40507440

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Drunk Canuck posted:

Speaking as someone who has to work with BCBS and other insurance companies, they all loving suck and have no idea what the gently caress they're doing IT wise.

We have months-long contract negotiations to standardize the files they send us to load data and they still gently caress it up. Then WE have to answer for THEIR hosed up data. gently caress american health-insurance companies forever.

For ticket content related: I have some T1 support staff moving a ticket out of a "This ticket is done by operations, make contact with customer now" status to an "this ticket is being worked by the operations department" status because their manager told them to do so. There is no more work to be done, they just don't like the status name (which is rejected) because it hurts their feelings. Seriously. We use it when what they are asking for is literally god-damned impossible.
Said manager, when asked about this exact same issue last month said that they would speak to the T1 staff specifically as that was not the process for our ticket flow.

I'm still trying to think of a way to politely and professionally say "stop loving up the data we use to report trends and issues to our clients because your T1 staff don't like the word 'rejected', what the gently caress is wrong with you".
:psyduck:

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Drunk Canuck posted:

Best reply:

https://mobile.twitter.com/voretaq7/status/884913799333105664

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
I would put a tool on there that phones home with all the information about the PC it was plugged into and then forward the violation to their supervisor.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

quote:

Doctors and nurses are using WhatsApp and Snapchat to share information about patients "across the NHS", health professionals have told the BBC.
GP Alisdair MacNair said he was aware of a number of medical groups using WhatsApp to discuss patients.

On the other hand: Whatsapp has peer-to-peer encryption, so it is probably better than the email systems they are currently using which (I assume) send it all unencrypted.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

spog posted:

On the other hand: Whatsapp has peer-to-peer encryption, so it is probably better than the email systems they are currently using which (I assume) send it all unencrypted.

A surprisingly large number of government departments have reasonable security measures for internal communication.

That said, i still think id trust Whatsapp more.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Behold! Shadow IT!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Wow, $18/person for leaving all of their SPII out to be stolen, after an 8 year investigation. I'm sure that will make everyone take HIPAA much more seriously now.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

GDPR fines are going to gently caress so many lovely businesses when they come into effect

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

SEKCobra posted:

I would put a tool on there that phones home with all the information about the PC it was plugged into and then forward the violation to their supervisor.

KnowBe4 has this for free, and can be LDAP integrated if you buy their platform.

OneTruePecos
Oct 24, 2010

DelphiAegis posted:

Speaking as someone who has to work with BCBS and other insurance companies, they all loving suck and have no idea what the gently caress they're doing IT wise.

We have months-long contract negotiations to standardize the files they send us to load data and they still gently caress it up. Then WE have to answer for THEIR hosed up data. gently caress american health-insurance companies forever.

Broadening it to insurance in general and not just health insurance, and there is an almost perfect negative correlation between IT competency and the size of the company. The bigger they get, the more they out-source their IT and the more mergers and acquisitions have brought in different decades-old home-grown garbage that do the same thing to similar data sets that can't be combined because of grand-fathered in rules on tiny pieces of ancient business. Also it's all in COBOL and no one who works on it was alive when it was built.

I mean, consider that a life insurance policy sold during the second world war could still be in force, and imagine what shenanigans it's seen as every business or tech change since then has had to take that pre-existing policy into account.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Drunk Canuck posted:

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned how it says to put the "Web key in your USB drive". None of those words make sense in that order, it's like it was written by some 95 year old executive who has vaguely heard about the internet and USB before but never actually seen something that uses either.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

OneTruePecos posted:

Broadening it to insurance in general and not just health insurance, and there is an almost perfect negative correlation between IT competency and the size of the company. The bigger they get, the more they out-source their IT and the more mergers and acquisitions have brought in different decades-old home-grown garbage that do the same thing to similar data sets that can't be combined because of grand-fathered in rules on tiny pieces of ancient business. Also it's all in COBOL and no one who works on it was alive when it was built.

I mean, consider that a life insurance policy sold during the second world war could still be in force, and imagine what shenanigans it's seen as every business or tech change since then has had to take that pre-existing policy into account.

Back when I used to work with insurance companies (TYOOL 2015), Allstate was still rocking Office 2003, and Farmers was using the same eletronic file management system they'd been using since I think the late 90s (and they are ostensibly paperless).

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Thanatosian posted:

Back when I used to work with insurance companies (TYOOL 2015), Allstate was still rocking Office 2003, and Farmers was using the same eletronic file management system they'd been using since I think the late 90s (and they are ostensibly paperless).

I've done consulting for local agents for both Allstate and State Farm.

Allstate allows their local agents a ton of local control. As a result, you see a lot of disparity between different offices as far as technology usage and security policies go.

State Farm is nearly the exact opposite. As far as technology goes, they have total control. Everything is remotely managed, content filtering is whitelist only, password policies enforced, etc.

OneTruePecos
Oct 24, 2010

Thanatosian posted:

I don't want to name them, but a company in that same size range has critical pieces of agent comp running through a a system that is literally over 50 years old at this point. I watched them spend years trying, without success, to document what it did, and why.

GPF
Jul 20, 2000

Kidney Buddies
Oven Wrangler

The Fool posted:

Insurance company stuff

The worst IT installation I've ever seen was an insurance company primary office around 2007.

The main company program ran on OS2 and only used NETBIOS for networking. This meant that every WAN connection to every remote office in the state was bridged, not routed. There were 500+ workstations just in the main office, each one loaded with Windows NT Workstation 4.0, and each one a workgroup system. Need to change an administrative password you've set on every system? You get to touch every system.

Those were just the loudest pieces I saw.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

The Fool posted:

I've done consulting for local agents for both Allstate and State Farm.

Allstate allows their local agents a ton of local control. As a result, you see a lot of disparity between different offices as far as technology usage and security policies go.

State Farm is nearly the exact opposite. As far as technology goes, they have total control. Everything is remotely managed, content filtering is whitelist only, password policies enforced, etc.
I was working with Allstate corporate. Not for them, thank God, just had to interact a lot with them. Also why I don't have a problem naming names.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Thanks Ants posted:

GDPR fines are going to gently caress so many lovely businesses when they come into effect

I've banged on about how we need to clean out old sales lead data, today I gleamed a nugget from one of the marketing dudes who's working on their CRM that some lead data they bought in 2015 (that we still have) was only licensed for 12 months use :nono:

I leveled with him as he had problems related to said data, but said ultimately the majority of our leads need to be torched and if upper management still want to hang onto it... well that's their funeral.
Having upper management/ownership who are very sales based is poo poo, I cobbled together a quick report showing the hundreds of thousands of unconverted leads going back to 2013 to make the point.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
The Farm Bureau insurance in my state is still using a text based system.

Anytime they need to work with your account, they launch a terminal emulator and login. Credit card payments are done via a USB HID swiper that just types the number into a field on the screen. I guess they won't be accepting EMV for some time....

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Our primary application is still terminal based because fat and web client interfaces are just too slow for the work flow.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Nothing wrong with terminal interface. They tend to be connected to reliable systems that work as well today as they did 15 years ago, and will continue to work great on into the foreseeable future.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Nothing wrong with terminal interface. They tend to be connected to reliable systems that work as well today as they did 15 30 years ago, and will continue to work great on into the foreseeable future.

FTFY

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Computer beeping won't stop halp: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqiJ_EzFc7c

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.
Have you tried feeding it some RAM chips? It sounds hungry.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
You all are making me feel way better about my job. I work with insurance software, and sure it's a 30-year-old coodebase that still uses DBase III, but at least it has a GUI, runs on Windows 10 and doesn't require loving NetBIOS.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
The problem with medical IT is that no one wants to switch because you have to keep all records accessible for 10+ years, so if your EEG software is replaced, you have to keep a working viewer around for all those EEGs you took over the last 15 years, for the next 10 years.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

If only medical imaging companies could agree on some kind of standard... :thunk:

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

spankmeister posted:

If only medical imaging companies could agree on some kind of standard... :thunk:

If DICOM pictures were all you needed to keep.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
The problem with standards is that there's so many of them

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

spankmeister posted:

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

fishmech posted:

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned how it says to put the "Web key in your USB drive". None of those words make sense in that order, it's like it was written by some 95 year old executive who has vaguely heard about the internet and USB before but never actually seen something that uses either.

I beg to differ: "in your" makes perfect sense to me. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

You put floppies in your floppy drive. You put tapes in your tape drive. You put CD Laserdiscs in your Laserdisc drive. :eng101:
You put USB cards web keys in your web key USB drive. :eng99:

• Locked thread