Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

I can't decide who I want to go to jail more: trump, don jr, or Jared. I think it's Jared mainly I want to see go down in flames the most. Ivanka a solid second

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

paranoid randroid posted:

i dont recall who said it, but the Trump administration is really just the baby boomers throwing a fire sale at the end of civilization

its very apt yes

It's One Last Hurrah for the Glory Days of the 80s

PostEldar
May 7, 2004

I'm in your area.

Lastgirl posted:

somewhat yes

most of those shows basically reveal anti-heroes being entrapped in a particular system that is actively working against them and that honesty and hardwork gets them nowhere as they're constantly being screwed by barriers of all kinds. Walt White with his healthcare insurance, Homer Simpson with intelligence, Constanza on a social level, and Tony Soprano with his masculinity in particular.

so i think it would explain a lot of anger and resentment being connected to such popular shows, if that weren't any warning flares in the american popular consciousness

even Better Call Saul as a spin off to breaking bad shows the angst and plight of one Jimmy McGill trying to stay on the straight and narrow but as always there's huge set backs due to designs and devices already set in motion to already entice him to be crooked to go around a irretrievably impossible to overcome obstacle unless you cheat this system.

This is true. I think those shows in particular do an incredible job of dissecting and explaining and often ridiculing the madness of the zeitgeist. And I don't want to oversimplify any of those shows. Homer has many redeeming, lovely qualities for example. But it's interesting. Practically everything in our media, especially TV, is an indictment of capitalism and the patriarchy which sustains it. A show like Bojack even goes further, he can articulate, often very perceptively, his own prison, yet is incapable of doing anything about it. Why is that exactly? Why does that make so much sense?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

PostEldar posted:

I have this bullshit theory (I'm drunk so here goes). There was a fascination in American Media in the 90s and 2000s with fat, bald, psychopaths who consume and lay waste to everyone in their lives. They vary in severity, but I think Homer Simpson, George Costanza, and Tony Soprano are all examples of this archetype. Kind of a precursor to the Grim White Pater Familias Loses His Soul To Money And/Or Power (i.e. House of Cards, Breaking Bad, many others). I think Trump is the culmination of this archetype, made flesh through some dark alchemy.

You're confusing modern Homer Simpson with seasons 1-8 Homer. Back then Homer was actually a good person doing his best.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

TWIST FIST posted:

we must all post cat pics in solidarity

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/BBCSteveR/status/885022913686106114

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

i like where the thread is rn but participating is just gonna seal my no sleep fate

i'm gonna try to sleep but put me down for a Normies-agreeing "most is explainable by navel-gazing men and the men who want to pay for their creative output" and also "the author is dead tho so"

PostEldar
May 7, 2004

I'm in your area.

Iron Crowned posted:

You're confusing modern Homer Simpson with seasons 1-8 Homer. Back then Homer was actually a good person doing his best.

Such a good point. You know your golden age. I actually don't know much about stuff past 8, but I always felt the series jumped the shark with Frank Grimes, a wonderful episode which nonetheless indicts the audience for identifying with Homer. The whole thing is about how Homer is this shithead who has unfairly blundered into domestic bliss. That episode does in 20 minutes what the Sopranos does over many seasons. Eric Cartman is another fat raging id. Don Draper.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

nice

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

juche avocado posted:

i like where the thread is rn but participating is just gonna seal my no sleep fate

i'm gonna try to sleep but put me down for a Normies-agreeing "most is explainable by navel-gazing men and the men who want to pay for their creative output" and also "the author is dead tho so"
i hope you have pissy, tape-filled dreams

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Hail Eris.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

galenanorth posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

god bless u zen death rowboat

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
If only the US could take off from ambiguously awesome characters like Raylan Givens, goddamn was Justified good.

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

Rocks posted:

I can't decide who I want to go to jail more: trump, don jr, or Jared. I think it's Jared mainly I want to see go down in flames the most. Ivanka a solid second

none of these rich white people will spend a day in jail

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

PostEldar posted:

This is true. I think those shows in particular do an incredible job of dissecting and explaining and often ridiculing the madness of the zeitgeist. And I don't want to oversimplify any of those shows. Homer has many redeeming, lovely qualities for example. But it's interesting. Practically everything in our media, especially TV, is an indictment of capitalism and the patriarchy which sustains it. A show like Bojack even goes further, he can articulate, often very perceptively, his own prison, yet is incapable of doing anything about it. Why is that exactly? Why does that make so much sense?

Post-Modernism basically :hai:

I think The Wire is the greatest show in this early quarter of this century because each season was just one piece, or a cog of each aspect of the entire system that everyone's caught in. The Game.

Most people say the 5th season sucked simply have not seen the bigger picture as each season collectively provides. The Streets/Police, The Ports/Drugs, Politics/The News etc. They're all interconnected and not even one person alone can effect change which is why its still kind of archaic to have people put all the power into one person and think they can just shake things up that are inherently cemented in decadent capitalism.

Stringer Bell was the best character period. Why? because what he represented was literally the center and key to everything possible to keep this system lockstep. Money, and how it would elevate you if you acknowledged the system and worked it to your favor, but even its machinations has its own quirks and plans that constantly get disrupted by other peoples actions and inactions so there was never a guarantee, plus he did get rainmade like a bitch.

This kind of system is so byzantine and we're already lost in this maze long since. Some people don't even know or are incapable of imagining a life without it which scares the hell out of them ironically.

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'

if there is i portant poo poo on that screen then why isnt he using a privacy screen wtf

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
The Wire owns as a television show but it's also an important cultural document. That's not really something I could say about The Sopranos, which is an engaging television program.

Telephones
Apr 28, 2013
TRUMP

PostEldar
May 7, 2004

I'm in your area.

Lastgirl posted:

Post-Modernism basically :hai:

I think The Wire is the greatest show in this early quarter of this century because each season was just one piece, or a cog of each aspect of the entire system that everyone's caught in. The Game.

Most people say the 5th season sucked simply have not seen the bigger picture as each season collectively provides. The Streets/Police, The Ports/Drugs, Politics/The News etc. They're all interconnected and not even one person alone can effect change which is why its still kind of archaic to have people put all the power into one person and think they can just shake things up that are inherently cemented in decadent capitalism.

Stringer Bell was the best character period. Why? because what he represented was literally the center and key to everything possible. Money, and how it would elevate you if you acknowledged the system and worked it to your favor, but even its machinations has its own quirks and plans that constantly get disrupted by other peoples actions and inactions so there was never a guarantee, plus he did get rainmade like a bitch.

This kind of system is so byzantine and we're already lost in this maze long since. Some people don't even know or are incapable of imagining a life without it which scares the hell out of them ironically.

I appreciate your ideas and would like to subscribe to your newsletter. The Wire is superior to pretty much anything ever. It transcends the myopia of those other shows. I like the 5th season a lot actually. I'm a teacher, though, so the 4th broke my heart. True Detective is interesting too. I think that show is about the slaying of the Trump archetype.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

dont censor the cats

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

PostEldar posted:

I have this bullshit theory (I'm drunk so here goes). There was a fascination in American Media in the 90s and 2000s with fat, bald, psychopaths who consume and lay waste to everyone in their lives. They vary in severity, but I think Homer Simpson, George Costanza, and Tony Soprano are all examples of this archetype. Kind of a precursor to the Grim White Pater Familias Loses His Soul To Money And/Or Power (i.e. House of Cards, Breaking Bad, many others). I think Trump is the culmination of this archetype, made flesh through some dark alchemy.

when u think about it this is a thing that happened with other artforms too. when westerns got to a certain point of maturity you had darker more cynical westerns w antiheroes, to the point where the man with no name is probably the iconic western figure. you see it in comics, too - in the 80s we got the point where people wanted to read cynical miserable superhero deconstructions and wolverine becomes the world's most popular superhero. tv's gotten to the point where creators have a good deal of freedom, not just with regards to content, but also structure - you no longer have to make a 23 episode season. you dont even have to do 10 eps if youre not feelin it, american gods did an 8 ep season.

theres also kind of a fine line between fat balding white antiheroes and tragic heroes like hamlet and oedipus and king arthur who would deffo be walter whites if you did literal retellings of their origin stories on tv right now (theyd actually be jamie lannisters cos hes the poster child for the sin of incest right now but i guess that just means we need more old timey incest stories on tv. when you think incest you should think hamlet or king arthur imo).

in conclusion i dont think its a zeitgeist thing and i dont think its goin anywhere anytime soon but i agree trump is a fictional character

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

BONGHITZ posted:

dont censor the cats

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

BONGHITZ posted:

dont censor the cats

ya ZDR unprobate the cat guy, probate me I'll serve his probation for posting cat s

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

PostEldar
May 7, 2004

I'm in your area.
Incest is a common motif in these. Especially with George Bluth, probably the best comedic example of what I'm talking about.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Is unprobating even a thing? I thought it was largely irreversible.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

passionate dongs posted:

if there is i portant poo poo on that screen then why isnt he using a privacy screen wtf

probably nothing important since he knows the screen will be facing dozens of people but russia would probably be interested in the content just in case someone slipped up

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

PostEldar posted:

I appreciate your ideas and would like to subscribe to your newsletter. The Wire is superior to pretty much anything ever. It transcends the myopia of those other shows. I like the 5th season a lot actually. I'm a teacher, though, so the 4th broke my heart. True Detective is interesting too. I think that show is about the slaying of the Trump archetype.

I too have enjoyed your exchange of drunken ideas :cheers:

I've had a lot of time to think about The Wire over the years, long even after I watched it because there was so much dense material within it to process. Some absolutely horrific things happening in it though and they didn't pull any punches with that which is necessary to depict the indifference and brutality of said entrapment of a self perpetuating system.

basically gently caress Martin O'Malley for participating and enabling it :toot:

True Detective seemed to be more about moral decay with a noir edge more than anything and I don't think it's particularly reflective of anything regarding american values or the corrosion of it, just rural decay to reflect depravity as a backdrop to the gritty theme rather than a social commentary, and it was really more waxing philosophical.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7x_lWJNnNg

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

stick your chest out, keep your head up, and handle it

Admiral Ray posted:

every minute in the trump thread is like

remove the orange and the ice and that's exactly what i drink, and also i'm not hot, and typically have an enormous grimace on my grizzled face, and there are debt collectors just out of frame trying to drag me off-camera with a big vaudeville hook

e: but seriously what is this video? "here's how to make a glass of bourbon with an orange slice in it"

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
what the zeitgeist boils down is to the fat bald white American class dreaming it could rise above its sullen mediocrity if only the Blockers in its way were removed; these blockers amounting not so much to some incipient class consciousness as the hopelessly starried eyed among us assume but rather the bogeymen intrgrained in the generation by 24/7 exposure to media telling them that their mediocrity is due to unwed black mothers in the inner city and migrant fruit pickers

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

anime tupac posted:

remove the orange and the ice and that's exactly what i drink, and also i'm not hot, and typically have an enormous grimace on my grizzled face, and there are debt collectors just out of frame trying to drag me off-camera with a big vaudeville hook

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

anime tupac posted:

meh you need the garnish and ice otherwise its just bourbon

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

punchymcpunch posted:

i agree trump is a fictional character

lol basically ya

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Live, Piss Tape, Love

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

Lastgirl posted:

Most people say the 5th season sucked simply have not seen the bigger picture as each season collectively provides.

i remember when i saw the 2nd season i said "wtf i want more cop poo poo gently caress off stevedores" but it quickly became my favourite season so when the 5th was newspapers and kids learning to box i was like "bring it on tell me a story dave s"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Baloogan posted:

meh you need the garnish and ice otherwise its just bourbon

Since when is "just bourbon" unacceptable?

• Locked thread