Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You should hang out with the doctor at the clinic more, because she sells health-restoration packs you can use in Safe Rooms. You also have enough SP to get a fair ways through most Palaces.

the sp part is the problem and going "a fair ways" is not how I liked playing those games. not even being allowed to finish a dungeon in one run makes sense thematically but I don't like it

there's a lot of little things that keep you from doing what you want to do (mostly morgana slapping your hand away for trying) and that stuff sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
You can completely every dungeon (outside some plot required ones) in one trip.

It isn't even hard.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

rabidsquid posted:

well he didnt say anything about skyrim but i cant argue with that either!

:oh:

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

yeah but the plot required breaking points could make you hesitant about leaving a dungeon early. i know i got burned at least once because i quit basically two rooms away from a forced stopping point which made me push through the vault dungeon for like an hour after i wanted to leave since the previous dungeons had plot related stopping points.

it would be nice if it was foreshadowed more obviously or just something that was consistent so you had easy break points, having them arbitrarily bugged me a lot since there was no obvious pace.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

You can completely every dungeon (outside some plot required ones) in one trip.

It isn't even hard.

you can't because the game kicks you out at the end. then you wait a day and the boss shows up

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Manatee Cannon posted:

you can't because the game kicks you out at the end. then you wait a day and the boss shows up

You complete the dungeon, then fight the boss later yeah.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the boss is part of the dungeon

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Disagree

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
If Horizon runs at 30 on a Pro in speed mode, that's a really really smooth 30.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

that's fair but the point is how much time it takes. in the persona 3-4, you could finish the whole dungeon in 1 day and move on. in persona 5, you need a bare minimum of 3. going into a dungeon commits a day, you can't really do anything in the interim after sending the card, and then the boss takes up a third day. there's a lot of stuff like that where it feels like the game is arbitrarily wasting my time when it doesn't need to. I don't like when it does that but it never seems to stop

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

ex post facho posted:

why couldnt thr pro just have a 4k player what the gently caress

Physical media is so dead even Sony doesn't want to support 4K BD's

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It is incredibly weird that Sony doesn't support it's own format but the competition does.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Manatee Cannon posted:

that's fair but the point is how much time it takes. in the persona 3-4, you could finish the whole dungeon in 1 day and move on. in persona 5, you need a bare minimum of 3. going into a dungeon commits a day, you can't really do anything in the interim after sending the card, and then the boss takes up a third day. there's a lot of stuff like that where it feels like the game is arbitrarily wasting my time when it doesn't need to. I don't like when it does that but it never seems to stop

I know exactly what you mean but for the most part it doesn't really matter. Unless you're dead set on 100% the first run through, which to be fair would put you in a small minority.

In general trying to get all the things your first run in atlus RPGs is a painful endeavor that ruins the experience imo

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

KingSlime posted:

I know exactly what you mean but for the most part it doesn't really matter. Unless you're dead set on 100% the first run through, which to be fair would put you in a small minority.

In general trying to get all the things your first run in atlus RPGs is a painful endeavor that ruins the experience imo

To be fair with the various mechanics you can unlock 100% isn't that hard, in 5 at least.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

veni veni veni posted:

It is incredibly weird that Sony doesn't support it's own format but the competition does.
I agree, that was the weirdest part of Microsoft's announcement.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

KingSlime posted:

I'm not trying to get 100%. I've played these games before and I know the deal here. I just don't like that it does this stuff. it bugs me

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

MS likes stuff that makes good bullet points on a slide, Sony likes stuff that makes money.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Manatee Cannon posted:

The story flat-out tells you why that is though; Sending the Card means this is your one chance to get the Treasure before it's gone for good. There is no potential interim at all, you need to be on your game and ready to go the next day. Besides, it'll still actually let you craft infiltration tools that night.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The story flat-out tells you why that is though; Sending the Card means this is your one chance to get the Treasure before it's gone for good. There is no potential interim at all, you need to be on your game and ready to go the next day. Besides, it'll still actually let you craft infiltration tools that night.

Manatee Cannon posted:

not even being allowed to finish a dungeon in one run makes sense thematically but I don't like it

e: I get it, not everyone is gonna agree with me. these are entirely personal reasons for why I haven't continued with the game. I'm not saying it's bad and I'm not even saying that the things I don't like about it are bad design. but they do make the game less fun for me, personally, and I have a hard time getting back into it because of that

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jul 12, 2017

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The pro was worth it for injustice 2; basically makes it look like a entirely different game imho.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Well, you can carry many weapons, but you can only equip four at a time, yeah. There are like five types of weapons total so basically you need to choose one to not equip at any given time,

I really wish you could switch between different bows, slings etc. on the fly. Opening menus to switch weapons around all the time is annoying.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Digirat posted:

looks like someone's not a very good frame rate dork eh

Apparently not!! I'd say there's egg on my face but I think I'll take a break from trying to visually identify things

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Sakurazuka posted:

MS likes stuff that makes good bullet points on a slide, Sony likes stuff that makes money.

What would supporting it have entailed though? Is that actually something that would have been a significant cost to add on to pro? I personally don't even have a 4K TV and give zero fucks about Blu ray better than 1080p anyways, but there must have been a really weird discussion at some point about Sony not supporting their own 4K blu ray format and then licensing it out to MS.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

veni veni veni posted:

What would supporting it have entailed though? Is that actually something that would have been a significant cost to add on to pro? I personally don't even have a 4K TV and give zero fucks about Blu ray better than 1080p anyways, but there must have been a really weird discussion at some point about Sony not supporting their own 4K blu ray format and then licensing it out to MS.
I figured it was as simple as wanting to save hardware costs on a feature few people would use and even fewer going into the future.

Speaking of the optical drive I am actually using mine regularly again after years of not, to play Farpoint since the disc version came with he Aim controller. Every time I turn on the PS4 with the disc in I'm like drat, optical drives are loud as hell.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Samurai Sanders posted:

Does anyone know what if anything has changed gameplay-wise in FF12 PS4 versus the Zodiac Job System edition on the PS2?

Subclassing added so your not stuck with the one class you picked. Horizontal camera finally has a toggle. 2x speed option can now go to 4x. That's all I know for gameplay.

Other than that, there is a new, orchestrated soundtrack that you can toggle.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
You can overlay a big map onto the screen, it has auto-save on zone changes (so you don't have to be anywhere near a crystal), and there are nebulous "balance changes".

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

Thats a good way to see it.

Maybe Sony just want the 4K feature for a new disc format, like Green-Ray, so people that have LOTR and Star Wars in Blue-Ray have to buy a Green-Ray player and Green-Ray version of these movies for 4K. Probably not.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

veni veni veni posted:

Even if it only saves them 50 cents a unit it adds up when you're manufacturing hundreds of thousands, and for something that not many people are going to care about.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Samurai Sanders posted:

If Horizon runs at 30 on a Pro in speed mode, that's a really really smooth 30.

It runs at 30

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Even if it only saves them 50 cents a unit it adds up when you're manufacturing hundreds of thousands, and for something that not many people are going to care about.

Yeah, I feel like the marketing for the Pro is that it's a niche product that only a certain subset of their player base would want. No need to spend a ton of R&D and add further additional costs if you can avoid it. I think I read somewhere that the Pro accounts for 1 in 5 PS purchases.

revolther
May 27, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

I imagine it's so they can use the cheapest 1x BR drives available. Compared to how much caching and reading of disks was done by previous systems and how the optical drives could be problematic components, they've probably reduced the amount of reads the BR drive does outside of installations to like 10,000 in it's lifetime.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

veni veni veni posted:

It's almost like they know how many people actually buy 4K Blurays or something!

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Subclassing added so your not stuck with the one class you picked. Horizontal camera finally has a toggle. 2x speed option can now go to 4x. That's all I know for gameplay.

Other than that, there is a new, orchestrated soundtrack that you can toggle.
holy poo poo at the bolded part. Looks like this game is finally playable for me. Never understood why the original version was rear end-backwards.

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

This could get emotional...

Some people in this thread that can't tell the difference between 1080p / 4k and HDR/SDR must have broken eyes and/or brains. Or a TV that doesn't properly display HDR.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

HAT FETISH posted:

holy poo poo at the bolded part. Looks like this game is finally playable for me. Never understood why the original version was rear end-backwards.

Same. Who knows why it was that way? Even in 2006 it was sort of the standard to have the option. Hell, even Dragon Quest VIII which came the year before had the option!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I glanced at how to avoid earlier deaths in Until Dawn and it is a little bullshit that at least one death has nothing to do with your poor life choices and instead is dependent on whether or not you notice an alternate route or entrance in certain instances, but I'm probably going to replay the game anyway, so oh well.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Same. Who knows why it was that way? Even in 2006 it was sort of the standard to have the option. Hell, even Dragon Quest VIII which came the year before had the option!

This is FF12 all over and probably the result of it being delayed and languishing in dev hell for a while.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

RBA Starblade posted:

I glanced at how to avoid earlier deaths in Until Dawn and it is a little bullshit that at least one death has nothing to do with your poor life choices and instead is dependent on whether or not you notice an alternate route or entrance in certain instances, but I'm probably going to replay the game anyway, so oh well.

I think there are totems that signal all these important branches, as inscrutable as they might be

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I think there are totems that signal all these important branches, as inscrutable as they might be

Yeah there are, I at least figured out the wolf one based on it, but the rest I found were too vague to really help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The totems in Until Dawn are mostly there to taunt you as there's no clear way to discern how certain choices will lead you there.