Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
These predictions come up so often that I'm sure it's just pr tactics at this point. They are good pr tactics tho, because they end up getting everybody, even racists, on board for contraception and female education programs.

Accepting the prediction that Niger is going to have nearly 1 billion residents, or even just a tenth at some point in the future also requires one to make the insane assumption that mortality rates won't go back up to medieval levels as a not very rich nor food-secure country careens into malthusian apocalypse.

Meanwhile ,maintaining the low mortality rates means maintaining the infrastructure for increased medical coverage, and that means that more people need to be educated, and more education has literally 100% of the time led to dramatic declines in birth rate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

These predictions come up so often that I'm sure it's just pr tactics at this point. They are good pr tactics tho, because they end up getting everybody, even racists, on board for contraception and female education programs.

Accepting the prediction that Niger is going to have nearly 1 billion residents, or even just a tenth at some point in the future also requires one to make the insane assumption that mortality rates won't go back up to medieval levels as a not very rich nor food-secure country careens into malthusian apocalypse.

Meanwhile ,maintaining the low mortality rates means maintaining the infrastructure for increased medical coverage, and that means that more people need to be educated, and more education has literally 100% of the time led to dramatic declines in birth rate.

Are you suggesting the UN isn't competent enough to account for the elements you bring up, or that they're somehow making up numbers as a "pr tactic" ? Honestly curious.

unpacked robinhood fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Jul 11, 2017

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

unpacked robinhood posted:

Are you suggesting the UN isn't competent enough to account for the elements you bring up, or that they're somehow making up numbers as a "pr tactic" ? Honestly curious.

IIRC the UN didn't really account for birth rates in the Maghreb or Brazil cratering like they did.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

blowfish posted:

translation: no wildlife larger than a peccary left and people still living like poo poo as increasing levels of climate change gently caress farming
Yeah, we're definitely going to see the refugee flow towards Europe reaching into the high tens of millions per year at some point, even as Europe internally sees Southern Europeans looking northward for similar reasons. At least we can rest easy, knowing President Maréchal-Le Pen's steady hand will guide France through this crisis - and save Western civilization in the process.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Debate & Discussion › French Politics: Fear of a Black Planet Europe

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

The increase isn't because the UN expects people to poo poo out a million kids each even as education and living standards improve. The increase will to a large extent happen because the very bottom heavy population pyramid just "fills up" to the top as the number of young people at any given time stays the same, but the already-existing young people get older, creating a population cylinder.

Kassad posted:

I don't think that title quite reaches maximum racism. Planet of the Blacks.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Yeah, we're definitely going to see the refugee flow towards Europe reaching into the high tens of millions per year at some point, even as Europe internally sees Southern Europeans looking northward for similar reasons. At least we can rest easy, knowing President Maréchal-Le Pen's steady hand will guide France through this crisis - and save Western civilization in the process.

By which I assume you mean President Le Pen orders a machine gun nest every 800m on the border, with orders to shoot anyone who fails the paper bag test.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

blowfish posted:

I don't think that title quite reaches maximum racism.

I certainly hope not. I wasn't going for a "ironic racism" thing at all.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

blowfish posted:

By which I assume you mean President Le Pen orders a machine gun nest every 800m on the border, with orders to shoot anyone who fails the paper bag test.
I hadn't even considered anti-Iberian measures, good thinking.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
There's an article on macron coaches.

quote:

C’était l’un des arguments d’Emmanuel Macron pour libéraliser le transport par autocar : la promesse de créer de l’emploi en France. En juin 2015, celui qui était alors ministre de l’Economie reprenait les conclusions d’un rapport de France Stratégie qui promettait… 22 000 emplois !
Deux ans plus tard, l’Arafer vient éreinter ces prévisions, estimant que la libéralisation a créé… 1421 emplois, majoritairement des chauffeurs de bus. Un chiffre bien en deçà de celui avancé par Emmanuel Macron pour promouvoir sa mesure.

tfdr: Macron ordered a study to promote his policy. They "found" it would create around 22000 jobs. Now the actual number is 1421, 60% of the seats are unused on average.

I'm posting it because the study report has this graphic and it cracks me up:

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

unpacked robinhood posted:

The UN is just takes the data we have now and projecting it to 2100. They're not the ones writing articles in the Guardian about them either. The article is written by the director of issue advocacy at the Population Media Centre, which should probably clue you in to what he's actually doing, which is trying to get more funding for family planning programs in Africa. A good thing ofc

But taking these projections at face value is dumb, so you shouldn't do it either.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Some topical music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pmetwm6VWgc

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
https://twitter.com/Politis_fr/status/884805500721926144

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
"Oh gently caress, he's so annoying! All I want is to turn workers into an oppressed caste without any rights, and there they are, bitching and nagging and causing all sort of drag. What's their deal?"

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I've seen like five different people on Facebook like/share/comment on articles about Macron being a giant racist (all in English) and blaming African women for all their woes, it's definitely taking hold on this side of the world.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Does anyone have suggestions for reading on France's colonial history in Sub-Saharan Africa? I can find a lot on the UK's colonies, BBC documentaries on decolonization, long wikipedia articles, detailed histories of individual countries etc., but I can hardly find anything on French Africa. Like for example this wikipedia article on Senegal hardly has anything, it skips straight the year 1902 to independence in 1960. I mean Senegal was a French colony for like 300 hundred years during which distinct Metis communities formed, but there's hardly anything approachable I can find on it.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Kassad posted:

lol

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Squalid posted:

Does anyone have suggestions for reading on France's colonial history in Sub-Saharan Africa? I can find a lot on the UK's colonies, BBC documentaries on decolonization, long wikipedia articles, detailed histories of individual countries etc., but I can hardly find anything on French Africa. Like for example this wikipedia article on Senegal hardly has anything, it skips straight the year 1902 to independence in 1960. I mean Senegal was a French colony for like 300 hundred years during which distinct Metis communities formed, but there's hardly anything approachable I can find on it.
Lol who do you think we are? Some anglo-saxon/germanic society who will document its own criminal history to better self-flagellate later and pretend to be amongst civilized nations after reparations?
I think our history in Africa can be sum up as We Came, We Saw, We hosed up. Never let us in again please, we have a problem.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

How dare you say that France ever did anything wrong in Africa? This is an insult to all those who were there, who gave their lives for their country. Ça suffit la repentance

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Flowers For Algeria posted:

How dare you say that France ever did anything wrong in Africa? This is an insult to all those who were there, who gave their lives for their country. Ça suffit la repentance
All those good families who made a fortune exploiting people as slaves spreading civilization! What's next, forcing them to give the money back? They'd rather see the state and the poor people pay for their sin!

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Jul 12, 2017

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

We have to stop living in the past. Specifically our terrible, terrible past and also present which thematically also fits in with the past re: exploitation of Africa. Let's never speak of this again.

lost in postation
Aug 14, 2009

Squalid posted:

I don't think there's been a decent critical monograph on the French colonisation of Africa as a whole in recent years.

I remember being impressed with Martin Thomas's work on the subject but it's admittedly very dry and erudite. I also really liked Lindqvist's Exterminate All the Brutes, if you haven't read it already.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Okay, maybe we should let the pros of "colonialism was good" speak for themselves.

quote:

Gérard Longuet défend le bilan du colonialisme

L'ancien ministre UMP estime que le colonialisme ne peut être jugé à l'aune d'aujourd'hui, et que, replacé dans son contexte historique, il a eu un bilan "acceptable" et même "positif"

L'ancien ministre UMP Gérard Longuet estime que le colonialisme ne peut être jugé à l'aune d'aujourd'hui, et que, replacé dans son contexte historique, il a eu un bilan "acceptable" et même "positif".

Interrogé par écrit par Public Sénat sur François Hollande dénonçant à Alger un système colonial "injuste et brutal", le sénateur juge "périlleux et parfaitement inutile de prétendre, dans une intervention de quelques dizaines de minutes, traiter et épuiser un sujet aussi complexe que l'aventure coloniale française".

"Que la colonisation ait été faite au profit du colonisateur, personne n'en doute", argumente l'élu de la Meuse, mais, "si elle était injuste, elle constituait, au regard de ce qu'était la société traditionnelle ottomane, un véritable progrès". "Le colonialisme a en gros un bilan acceptable, un bilan positif – je vais mettre les pieds dans le plat ! s'exclame l'ex-ministre de la défense. Je crois que le colonialisme n'est pas à l'origine des difficultés actuelles de l'Algérie, il faudrait que les Algériens aient l'honnêteté de le reconnaître", dit-il.

"UN SYSTÈME RELATIF"

Pour M. Longuet, le discours du chef de l'Etat ne peut avoir qu'un "effet négatif" sur les Français issus de familles immigrés, "parce que ça va justifier ceux qui sont mal dans leurs baskets dans l'idée qu'il y a une explication à cela".

Il appelle à "beaucoup de tact sur ces sujets. Nous avons une immigration africaine" et "nous ne devons pas les entretenir dans l'idée qu'ils sont engagés dans un pays qui s'est obstinément mal comporté à l'égard de leur territoire d'origine. Sinon comment voulez-vous qu'ils soient heureux dans notre pays ? Je crois qu'il faut au contraire montrer que le système colonial est un système relatif".

Interrogé à la fin d'octobre sur la demande d'Alger de reconnaissance des crimes du colonialisme, M. Longuet avait, pendant un générique de fin d'émission, fait un bras d'honneur. Ce responsable qui milita dans sa jeunesse à l'extrême droite (très pro-Algérie française) avait ensuite assumé ce geste.
La politique du bras d'honneur.
edit: the same blogging about Macron's attempt about Algerie: http://www.huffingtonpost.fr/gerard-longuet/emmanuel-macron-algerie-crime-humanite_a_21715222/

Also if you want some contemponary french bullshit in Africa, try to search about Boloré and palm oil.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Jul 12, 2017

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
https://twitter.com/lemondefr/status/884872894026833921

Pierre Gattaz ce matin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ALwKeSEYs

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

11 milliards what the poo poo

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

~l'aventure coloniale~

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Flowers For Algeria posted:

~l'aventure coloniale~

Pas avec ces coupes dans le budget de l'armée.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Edouard Philippe looks like a gremlin.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Squalid posted:

King Leopold's Ghost is about Belgian colonization, but the French pulled all the same bullshit.

lost in postation
Aug 14, 2009

The X-man cometh posted:

King Leopold's Ghost is about Belgian colonization, but the French pulled all the same bullshit.

The Belgian Congo doesn't really work as a point of comparison, since the country was Leopold II's personal property (a so-called "domaine privé") rather than a dependency of the Belgian state. The whole operation was also so horrible (and incompetent) that it was heavily criticised contemporaneously -- which, considering what practices were common at the time, is saying something. Leopold eventually buckled under the international pressure and turned it into a "regular" colonial regime under Belgian rule.

lost in postation fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jul 12, 2017

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

How the gently caress do these stupid loving clowns expect to get under the Holy 3% of deficit if they burn away eleven loving billions in gifts to the rich?

They'll pretty much have to raze everything to the ground to reduce the spending by an equivalent amount -- including the army. Perhaps there'll be a military coup in reaction.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Cat Mattress posted:

How the gently caress do these stupid loving clowns expect to get under the Holy 3% of deficit if they burn away eleven loving billions in gifts to the rich?
Almost like they're doing it intentionally.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I'm such a gullible idiot piece of poo poo fucker that it's only now that I realize I've actually voted for the loving FN's platform in the 2nd turn of the presidential election

http://www.lemonde.fr/immigration-e...01_1654200.html

http://www.liberation.fr/france/2017/07/11/a-calais-quand-ils-ont-compris-que-l-eau-n-etait-pas-buvable-ils-l-ont-jetee_1583179

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Ahahahahan les sénateurs ont rejeté la mesure phare du projet de loi de moralisation politique aka les emplois familiaux chez les collaborateurs parlementaires sont toujours legaux.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
senators gonna senate

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

lost in postation posted:

I don't think there's been a decent critical monograph on the French colonisation of Africa as a whole in recent years.

I remember being impressed with Martin Thomas's work on the subject but it's admittedly very dry and erudite. I also really liked Lindqvist's Exterminate All the Brutes, if you haven't read it already.

The X-man cometh posted:

Yeah thanks for the recommendations, Lindqvist's work sounds like a good place to start for just for fun reading. There's so little popular work available in my desperation I turned to whatever academic articles I could find for free, but I can only read so many longitudinal studies of economic development in French Africa by colonial subdistrict before I lose interest. I've read King Leopold's Ghost and loved it but compared to the Belgian Congo French Africa is sort of a blank page on the map of history, there just isn't much available in English. Algeria is the one exception but it seems like a very different venture from most other colonies.

I was inspired to look into this subject again by this fantastic series on British decolonization called End of Empire. Anything similar for the French empire, whether in French or English?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnSCHTH0Q0A

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Toplowtech posted:

Ahahahahan les sénateurs ont rejeté la mesure phare du projet de loi de moralisation politique aka les emplois familiaux chez les collaborateurs parlementaires sont toujours legaux.

I'm so shocked that politicians rejected a law that would prevent them from being huge nepotists!

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

HookShot posted:

I'm so shocked that politicians rejected a law that would prevent them from being huge nepotists!
Actually they pointed out it was discriminatory and the problem being fake jobs the parlement should just control it the way the senate do with its assistants.

lost in postation
Aug 14, 2009

The optics of stating that nepotism is all right as long as your family members actually do something aren't all that great either, though.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

lost in postation posted:

The optics of stating that nepotism is all right as long as your family members actually do something aren't all that great either, though.
The thing is your deputy friend could still hire your family and you could still hire his family, so the insensitive being the job is done sounds better if you want to reduce fraud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
I took a class on the post-colonial francophone world in college 10 years ago, but I don't remember much on Africa, just the Caribbean.

Fanon worked in French government-run colonial hospitals before he became an author, I think peau noire masques blancs might have some good background info.