Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
As long as they aren't in supply, retreating does nothing for them other than saving off their destruction for a few more days.

Also, the lack of planes/pilots is going to start to hurt as their carriers attack us with impunity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Sorta curious how the Allies at Luganville have lasted so long when there's more than a division grinding them down. Also, congrats on the city capture! Is there anything big left to get/nab in China or that you're going to press on before settling in defensively and using troops elsewehre?

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
So how will history look at this naval battle? The Japanese lose a carrier - was it through bad damage control, a super-overly-complicated-that-would-only-work-in-fan-ficton-battleplan, lack of radar, bad spotting reports or random luck by an American pilot who could hit a romprat that was smaller than 2 meters?

Reuben Sandwich
Jan 27, 2007

Mikl posted:

The Unyo shall rise again :japan:

Please get the Kiddo Butai out of there, my lucky ship's in there! :ohdear:
I was getting flashbacks from the previous game where Grey lost 3 Essex class carriers in a day by forgetting to set CAP cover.

Grey, please don't turn New Caledonia into this thread's Iwo Jima. I'd really enjoy seeing planes from Noumea being completely ineffective in the shipping lanes.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Comstar posted:

So how will history look at this naval battle? The Japanese lose a carrier - was it through bad damage control, a super-overly-complicated-that-would-only-work-in-fan-ficton-battleplan, lack of radar, bad spotting reports or random luck by an American pilot who could hit a romprat that was smaller than 2 meters?

Looks like it might have been some kind of logistical or operational fuckup by the Kiddo Butai, their own sorties were tiny and Grey didn't show the strength of the CAP those 38 American planes had to deal with but they sure as hell didn't manage to stop the US airstrike.

Maybe it would go down as a problem with trying to coordinate a bunch of small CAGs on CVEs and CVLs rather than getting the equivalent number of planes on larger and more centralized CVs?

e: also just as a bit of trivia, Unyo in real life was actually shockingly durable for a CVE, first surviving a single torpedo from the USS Halibut in 1943, then surviving three torpedoes from the USS Haddock in early 1944, and finally sinking after being hit by another three torpedoes from the USS Barb in September 1944.

vyelkin fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jul 12, 2017

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Our carrier friend is still hanging around. Shame my carriers never wanted to launch more than three planes at once!

Things go very quiet – but worry not, the last of the Kido Butai upgrades will be done in ten days. And they have been replenishing their airframes!

We confirm a LSD sunk and get another rare message – one of our pilots has wandered back into base after being shot down. Unfortunately I can find no records about where he is stationed.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Comstar posted:

I'm gonna go with the carriers were refueling and rearmi-*explosion* ooops who could have predicted that?

Grey Hunter posted:

We confirm a LSD sunk and get another rare message – one of our pilots has wandered back into base after being shot down. Unfortunately I can find no records about where he is stationed.

He is a ghost. :iiam:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
It turns out it was a Thin Red Line type situation.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

3 DONG HORSE posted:

He is a ghost. SPY!!

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Comstar posted:

So how will history look at this naval battle?

Probably wondering why the hell those CVEs were within 1000 miles of an enemy task force?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Liberators continue to visit Luganville – I'd not mention it, but slow news days and all.

Lea and Buna get visits from Allied aircraft daily, but there is little of importance to damage there.

They have a squadron of Mitchell's up here as well.

I hope you enjoyed your tour of pointless bombing runs. We are gaining a hundred points a day from our new Chinese holding, but that's not interesting to screenshot.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Man imagine how much the newspapers must be playing up our dead CVE in the states right now. They could use the good news.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

It's actually a pretty big victory for the Allies because the US positively shits out CVEs while the next carrier Grey gets is about a year out. I think it might be time for you (Grey) to combine the Kiddo and Kido Butai because losing just one carrier (even if its a CVE) is positively devastating for you.

On a side note, What upgrades did the Kido Butai receive? I know that late war, the Japanese were positively packing on positively terrible AA assets to their ships. Engine upgrades? More planes? A spa for the captain?

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

13 July 1943

The Battle of Kolombangara: Another night engagement between a Tokyo Express run and an Allied task force, the Battle of Kolombangara began shortly after 1:00 AM. The Allied force, consisting of the light cruisers USS Honolulu and St. Louis and HMNZS Leander with 10 destroyers, made radar contact with five Japanese destroys led by the light cruiser Jintsu. The latter force had already sighted the former and launched torpedoes as the Allies moved to engage. Jintsu was rapidly overwhelmed by gunfire and struck by two torpedoes, which broke her apart, but in exchange all three Allied cruiser were torpedoed and heavily damaged and the destroyer Gwin torpedoed and later scuttled. Kolombangara is regarded as a Japanese tactical victory despite the loss of Jintsu, but an Allied strategic victory, as the Tokyo Express run was forced to retire without landing troops.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Boom! Down goes another sub! They let us get within 100 yards as well.

Rangoon is still being bombed.

I find another small force to batter.

Okay, confession time, I just realized a lot of my airframe production turned itself off at some point – they are all back on and I hope to be seeing planes in the near future!
I have no idea how long they have been off, or why they turned off. But I'm very angry about this.

That makes me feel better though.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Grey Hunter posted:

Okay, confession time, I just realized a lot of my airframe production turned itself off at some point – they are all back on and I hope to be seeing planes in the near future!
I have no idea how long they have been off, or why they turned off. But I'm very angry about this.

:lol:

Also, could you include a wider shot of China in the near future? Is there a big chunk of central China that's communist controlled still? Is there anything to be gained from attacking it?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Grey Hunter posted:

Sounds like someone let their other half play the game, and is trying to realistically portray Imperial Japan!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The Japanese army probably sent a poorly fabricated note signed "The Navy (who sucks)" explaining how the navy has concluded they're a bunch of honourless dogs and don't deserve the fine Japanese craftmanship and they should just concentrate on building tanks for the army because the army is so much better and cooler than the navy.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Grey Hunter posted:

:japan:

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Kibayasu posted:

The Japanese army probably sent a poorly fabricated note signed "The Navy (who sucks)" explaining how the navy has concluded they're a bunch of honourless dogs and don't deserve the fine Japanese craftmanship and they should just concentrate on building tanks for the army because the army is so much better and cooler than the navy.

Doesn't the army also have their own airframe production which was presumably also turned off?

I'd just blame the UI and WitP's obsession with rivet counting.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Kibayasu posted:

The Army all but won in China, so that would be absolutely right. :v:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
After their big battleship victory the navy decided they didn't need planes after all.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Davin Valkri posted:

Doesn't the army also have their own airframe production which was presumably also turned off?

I'd just blame the UI and WitP's obsession with rivet counting.

Yes, and you can learn more about aero-engine production in the ask/tell history thread, as I am currently going through the most recent and in-depth examination of each company, their engines, and their capabilities :eng101:

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Yes, and you can learn more about aero-engine production in the ask/tell history thread, as I am currently going through the most recent and in-depth examination of each company, their engines, and their capabilities :eng101:

I'm > 10,000 posts behind in that thread. :(

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Murgos posted:

I'm > 10,000 posts behind in that thread. :(

:rip:

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Grey Hunter posted:

This isn't the most GH thing to ever happen in an LP, that was the time that you accidentally destroyed a planet by sending a doomsday weapon on a raid, but this is definitely in the top 10.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I like that it's an option.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Would it be possible to load some old saves and see how far back the problem goes?

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012

Zeroisanumber posted:

This isn't the most GH thing to ever happen in an LP, that was the time that you accidentally destroyed a planet by sending a doomsday weapon on a raid, but this is definitely in the top 10.

Link please? I want to know more.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

terrenblade posted:

Link please? I want to know more.

It was in his Distant Worlds Legends LP, more specifically this update.

The tl;dr of it is that he had a Death Star-type ship, one that blows up planets, and accidentally included her in a fleet when he sent said fleet to attack an enemy planet. Ka-boom.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Grey Hunter posted:

As you can see, my pools are empty of several important types.

Not for the want of trying though!

SHUT OFF PROD --- 1459

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est

A White Guy posted:

It's actually a pretty big victory for the Allies because the US positively shits out CVEs while the next carrier Grey gets is about a year out. I think it might be time for you (Grey) to combine the Kiddo and Kido Butai because losing just one carrier (even if its a CVE) is positively devastating for you.

It's probably not a great idea in this case, as task forces move and fight at the speed of their slowest member. All the ships in the Kido Butai (even the battleships) are capable of doing 30 knots to keep up with the carriers. Adding slower CVLs and CVEs will imprest on the fleet carriers.

On that note, Grey, do you still have that 18-knot light cruiser in the Kido Butai? :crossarms:

There are also coordination penalties for having too many ships and aircraft in a single TF, but they mainly affect Americans in the early years of the war, gradually reducing by 1943/4 to reflect better experience with fleet air ops

Yessod
Mar 21, 2007

Jobbo_Fett posted:

SHUT OFF PROD --- 1459

Why do we even have that button?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Yessod posted:

Why do we even have that button?

To shut off worse/non-essential planes.

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012

Mikl posted:

It was in his Distant Worlds Legends LP, more specifically this update.

The tl;dr of it is that he had a Death Star-type ship, one that blows up planets, and accidentally included her in a fleet when he sent said fleet to attack an enemy planet. Ka-boom.

Thank you, my weekend is now booked.

Grey, I'll be reading this in your voice. So when your throat feels horse, you know who to blame.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

The time I accidently blew up a planet will forever be my worst mistake.
Here I think that the oil shortage shut down a load of production automatically and I didn't notice.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

So now you got a lot of oil saved up, eh? :)

So what's the long term damage here?

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Jul 15, 2017

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Pretty sure lack of resources only disables production, but proper documentation is lacking in the manual.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Jobbo_Fett posted:

proper documentation is lacking in the manual.

If there was a WitP:AE thread, that would be the title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reuben Sandwich
Jan 27, 2007

Grey Hunter posted:

I had my doubts since Milne Bay but knew inside you wouldn't let us down.