Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Flash Gordon

2001 Spiderman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
I'm very fond of Lucky Cow, thanks for posting it!

Calvin and Hobbes

Zippy

Ripley's

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

google posted:

a gallon of milk weighs about 8.6 pounds,
I'm onto you, Ripley's! We both know "It takes about one and a half gallons of milk to make a gallon of ice cream!" sounded way less impressive! :argh:

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Gil

Heathcliff

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Aardmania posted:

Piranha Club

That's the least offensively bad PC I've seen in years. Delivery still sucks though

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Haifisch posted:

I'm onto you, Ripley's! We both know "It takes about one and a half gallons of milk to make a gallon of ice cream!" sounded way less impressive! :argh:

Haha I was thinking the exact same thing

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Selachian posted:

Or possibly because she doesn't want to date a coworker? Either way, just something to end this nauseating nerd wankfantasy. (And I write this as a hardcore, D&D-playing, comics-collecting, genre-media-consuming nerd.)

It is nauseating. That is not how humans work, it is not how "attractiveness" works, it is not how love works. Yeah, they just found out they should be best friends. That's it. She never found him attractive and it wasn't because of his lack of pop-culture knowledge; it was because he is not attractive.
It's a sad parable that feeds into the "if I put enough 'friend' in, 'sex' comes out" mindset of manchildren who end up going MRA or MGTOW because stupid bitches don't deserve how awesome they are (if only they'd notice!).

I find it particularly revolting because I grew up during the birth of the "friend zone" like many of you probably did. Before that, it didn't have a name because it didn't need one. If you were a weird jerk with an oblivious female friend, you were just a weird jerk. Now you get to blame the woman for it and fantasize that she just doesn't see how great you are and it is sickening.

Like oh my God I hate this arc worse than Dustin and I'm sure the target audience is furiously masturbating over how perfect it is because it is exactly what they want but will never, ever have (well, maybe 0.01% will get lucky) because that isn't how relationships work.

I mean, god drat. If you aren't attracted to someone, then you aren't. Sucks, but that's life. if you can't handle being friends with someone you want to bone, then don't be friends. Before I was 20, I realized I could be friends with someone much more attractive than me, acknowledge how hot they were, and then not want to have sex with them. Because I was an adult.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

FrumpleOrz posted:

Ali's House has to be my favorite current strip. It's so clever and nice.

It's off the wall but somehow not monkey cheese. That's difficult plus it's adorable.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Aleph Null posted:

It is nauseating. That is not how humans work, it is not how "attractiveness" works, it is not how love works. Yeah, they just found out they should be best friends. That's it. She never found him attractive and it wasn't because of his lack of pop-culture knowledge; it was because he is not attractive.
It's a sad parable that feeds into the "if I put enough 'friend' in, 'sex' comes out" mindset of manchildren who end up going MRA or MGTOW because stupid bitches don't deserve how awesome they are (if only they'd notice!).
But that strategy works in all my visual novels, why doesn't it work in real life? Did I pick the wrong dialogue option in scene 4? :saddowns:

The worst part is that this is the shallowest 'this is your true self that nobody else really sees' he could have written. It's horoscope-tier personality writing. "You're awkward and shy sometimes, but at other times you're funny and have thoughts on things and are comfortable with yourself. WHOA."

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

The most telling thing about this Intelligent Life storyline to me is that it's completely focused on Skip. He's not saying anything nice about her. He's not realizing anything new about her due to being with her in this new context. All it is is Gwen realizing what a GREAT GUY Skip is and so attractive and why hasn't she seen it before! It's exclusively a fantasy the male writer is bringing to life through this main character and he's just going full bore into it without any shame or self-awareness of how lovely it is.

F Minus

Mark Trail

And she tells the story using interpretive dance.

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Come on, Rex! You act like you're one of the poor people!

Secret Agent X-9

Apartment 3-G

It's funny this never crossed my mind. For some reason I thought she'd have cancer or something like that.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Endless Mike posted:

One-panel Nancy is a million times better than Gilchrist Nancy

How about five-panel Nancy, aka Five Card Nancy?

http://scottmccloud.com/4-inventions/nancy/index.html

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

Johnny Walker posted:

The most telling thing about this Intelligent Life storyline to me is that it's completely focused on Skip. He's not saying anything nice about her. He's not realizing anything new about her due to being with her in this new context. All it is is Gwen realizing what a GREAT GUY Skip is and so attractive and why hasn't she seen it before! It's exclusively a fantasy the male writer is bringing to life through this main character and he's just going full bore into it without any shame or self-awareness of how lovely it is.

That's a good point. I feel like Reddick would preempt it by suggesting Skip already understands Gwen's personality because of his dedication to (obsession with) her, and it was Gwen that needed to overcome her superficiality all along. I'd like to see a plot-line where Skip tries in earnest to become more socially and physically attractive for the sake of Gwen, but god forbid the onus ever falls on the manchild to attract the kind of partner they feel entitled to.

Zits

Reply All

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

:golfclap:

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
Dream of the Rarebit Fiend Midsummer Day Dreams (click for huge)

And He Did. (October, 1916)

Outbursts of Everett True (January, 1917)

Doings of the Duffs. (November, 1918, click for big)

The Gay Thirties (October, 1935, click for big))

They'll Do It Every Time (October, 1940, click for big)

Mopsy (March, 1941)

Archie (March, 1956, click for big)

Feiffer (1974, click for big)

Andy Capp (December, 1971, click for big)

Wee Pals (January, 1972, click for big)

Dick Tracy (October, 2001, click for big)

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Slammy posted:

Dick Tracy (October, 2001, click for big)

This is great?? :eyepop:

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Johnny Walker posted:

Maybe it's all Skips dream.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

All right, could someone who's been reading give us a refresher? I'm guessing Brice was the bland nice guy Marla hired after firing the guy with glasses everyone hated. I know that on general principle we're supposed to hate Marla's boss, but why exactly should he be wanting to do a favor for a guy who quit the company?

Tracksuit

English cram schools are a popular business in Korea, and tend to be judged by business standards more than whether they actually teach good English.

Kwak Baek-soo is an artist who writes Gauss Electric Company, the only comic I've seen currently running in a Korean newspaper. Maybe Kim Ji-soo does it too, but he's the only one with a wiki page. Since his age is listed I know this particular Tracksuit must have been published in 2004. Not sure whether the random shout out is a reference to their getting married, a reference to their getting official recognition for their work, or just a random reference to nothing.

Mother From Another Country

Many Korean restaurants won't prepare more elaborate dishes unless at least two people are ordering it. Such rules are generally waived for regulars.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Kavak posted:

Conan's hair, what type of geek am I?

One that hasn't been within a thousand miles of SDCC?

Seriously, the only point of that dumb gag last night was that this is the only BSS thread I've ever posted in more than once. To my eternal shame, of course.

Skippy (May 13, 1930)

Peanuts (July 14, 1970)

Sally Forth

Goddammit, That Looks Even Less Like Conan O'Brien Than Yesterday

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (September 3-4, 1930)

Thimble Theater (January 29, 1931)

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Some Guy TT posted:

All right, could someone who's been reading give us a refresher? I'm guessing Brice was the bland nice guy Marla hired after firing the guy with glasses everyone hated. I know that on general principle we're supposed to hate Marla's boss, but why exactly should he be wanting to do a favor for a guy who quit the company?

I'm pretty sure Brice was the jackoff guy who bought way into his assistant manager position. I guess he must have bailed for a manager spot at the competing store

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Today's Luann features a huge loving shock after we spent a week on Brad and Tony simultaneously winning awards for Biggest Martyrs and Surrogate Parents of the Year. Nobody could have seen this coming.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.
Wondering if Conan being blonde isn't a colorist screw-up, but a gently caress-you calling to attention that, without the right hair color, Conan and Mason look completely identical.

That's really sad considering the near-photorealistic celeb portraits Batuik drew back in his "John Darling" days.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Slammy posted:

Dick Tracy (October, 2001)
:roflolmao:

Are you loving serious, Ringo? :stare:

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man

EasyEW posted:

Crankshaft

Why is his furniture so small.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Arlo and Janis Classic (September 12, 1995)

Garfield Classic (September 12, 1985)

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Some Guy TT posted:

Many Korean restaurants won't prepare more elaborate dishes unless at least two people are ordering it. Such rules are generally waived for regulars.

This is also true in other countries: here in Italy, for instance, everything involving rice (i.e.: risotto, which is generally long and laborious to prepare) has a two people minimum rule in most places.

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet

Mikl posted:

This is also true in other countries: here in Italy, for instance, everything involving rice (i.e.: risotto, which is generally long and laborious to prepare) has a two people minimum rule in most places.

Are you not allowed to take things home or eat more than is healthy?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Julet Esqu posted:

Today's Luann features a huge loving shock after we spent a week on Brad and Tony simultaneously winning awards for Biggest Martyrs and Surrogate Parents of the Year. Nobody could have seen this coming.

lmao if she was going to bring up being a lesbian to anybody when it wasn't absolutely necessary why would the cartoonist have named her "prude"?

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Julet Esqu posted:

I too love looking at the sides of framed photographs.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

JaggerMcDagger posted:

Are you not allowed to take things home or eat more than is healthy?

You are, in fact. I've seen it a couple times, in fact.

"I'll have the risotto."
"Sorry, sir, it's two people minimum."
"It's fine, I'll eat both portions."
"...Alright then."

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I choose to believe that whatever site you get Luann from has a bit of CSS that adds "Nice" when there's 69 replies

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Obviously I am in agreement with what's been said about Reddick's bad storytelling and patheticness. As we analyze and critique him through his work, perhaps it is relevant you know that he is a twice married man, with children from his first marriage.
Makes it all worse, doesn't it? To go through life so far without any self-awareness and without learning anything. Or if he has grown and matured from his experiences, THIS is the best he can come up with?

But I digress. Now for comics.

Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Viivi & Wagner

Good thing it wasn't a venomous snake, eh Wagner?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I think more likely than Reddick pouring his own life's experiences into this abominable strip is that he's simply cynically pandering to a demographic. Let's not kid ourselves: the man works for Jim Davis.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.

My Lovely Horse posted:

I think more likely than Reddick pouring his own life's experiences into this abominable strip is that he's simply cynically pandering to a demographic. Let's not kid ourselves: the man works for Jim Davis.
That is the gentler interpretation. I don't think it's pandering when he is proudly in that nerd demographic himself. His professional studio website mentions him cosplaying "a Star Trek Captain or a Jedi/Sith" (incidentally, Floyd's choices of profile pictures for The Dating App), and his sketchbooks that don't have remotely as wide an audience are full of the same nerd crap.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

My Lovely Horse posted:

Oh yeah. Just as a reminder, his Comics Kingdom audience is eating this poo poo up with a spork (a mere spoon is insufficiently nerdy).

Yes, trivia-obsessed manchildren who will silently creep on you are SO HARD to find and worth changing jobs for.

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set cleans up nice.

Working Daze has a SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix explains the joke. (The joke is their marriage.)

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Some Guy TT posted:

Brice was the blonde rear end in a top hat assistant manager that nobody liked. Brice jumped to the competition and works there, but hates it as it is a toxic workplace. He asked Marla for his old job back, but there is a store manager position open elsewhere. She feels bad for him and can kill two birds with one stone. Alleviate her feeling bad by getting him a job, and never have to deal with him as its a job at another store.

The bald guy is being a petty rear end in a top hat as Brice dared to jump ship.

If you go to the Retail site you can get up to speed quick enough if you start here and read the M-F strips

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jul 12, 2017

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Evil Mastermind posted:

Working Daze has a SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT.

"look at this oblivious person liking a lovely movie everyone obviously hates! anyway, you'll obviously like my book"
- oblivious person making a comic everyone obviously hates

fake edit:

So which was the boa conductor, the boa or the conductor

was it a boa who could conduct an orchestra or a conductor who could conduct a boa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
Shoe

The Lockhorns

Bound and Gagged

Brewster Rockit: Space Guy!

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Kevin & Kell

Mother Goose & Grimm

Hagar The Horrible

That window with Helga's head in it looks really, really odd.

• Locked thread