Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

DeimosRising posted:

Thestab in the back was actually literally Ludendorff's idea and he was responsible for spreading it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

mllaneza posted:

Given how the 20th century went, it's probably already happened.

Submitted for your consideration: this is actually the best timeline.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

hiddenriverninja posted:

We are a ways away from a true Elseworlds/what if live action movie. Not that they shouldn't try, though.

Logan literally came out this year.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

ImpAtom posted:

Logan literally came out this year.

I guess I meant something like Red Son or Speeding Bullets, branded as Elseworlds. Like, to me, Logan still felt a part of the original X-movie timeline.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Mr. Apollo posted:

The rumors are the Wonder Woman 2 will have her fighting the Soviets in the 1980s. Diana fighting alongside the mujahideen?

http://screenrant.com/wonder-woman-2-movie-setting-chris-pine/

snyder: "how much more ideologically repellent can we make these movies?"

johns: "hold my beer"

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
...Should someone bother pointing out that "scoops" of "production details" for the sequel of a film that came out about a month ago, with Jenkins not even officially-confirmed to return yet, are very unlikely to be real?

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

That's a good point but remember that this is the Internet.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Flipper-handed Michael Shannon confirmed as the movie's big bad.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

BrianWilly posted:

...Should someone bother pointing out that "scoops" of "production details" for the sequel of a film that came out about a month ago, with Jenkins not even officially-confirmed to return yet, are very unlikely to be real?

the likelihood of a nazi propaganda franchise saying "gently caress it" and going full tilt anti-communism is high enough already that the rumors are more credible

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

R. Guyovich posted:

the likelihood of a nazi propaganda franchise saying "gently caress it" and going full tilt anti-communism is high enough already that the rumors are more credible

:chloe:

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

R. Guyovich posted:

this is the wonder woman thread why are you talking about the marvel comics feat. Hydra Captain America and Nazi Magneto

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

ungulateman posted:

this is the wonder woman thread why are you talking about the marvel comics feat. Hydra Captain America and Nazi Magneto

Gotta make some real reaches for a tankie reading of WW?

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

MariusLecter posted:

Gotta make some real reaches for a tankie reading of WW?

can we call out bad film directors/producers for advancing fascism without accusing one another of being Soviet apologists

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/wonder-woman-box-office-superhero-movies-1020621

quote:

Box Office: 'Wonder Woman' Holding Better Than Any Superhero Movie in 15 Years

The female-directed tentpole is now assured of earning $390 million-plus domestically to boast the top gross of summer 2017 and one of the top 10 performances of all time for a comic book adaptation.

Word of mouth is a wondrous thing.

Look no further than Warner Bros. and DC's Wonder Woman. The summer blockbuster boasts the best hold of any superhero film in more than 15 years at the North American box office, where even the most successful summer tentpoles can catch a case of sunstroke and retreat to the shade rather quickly amid so much competition. Wonder Woman is the unusual exception.

Directed by Patty Jenkins and starring Gal Gadot, Wonder Woman is still going strong as it heads into its seventh week. The movie, grossing $371.3 million through Tuesday, is now assured of topping out at $390 million or more domestically, becoming the No. 8 comic book adaptation of all time, not accounting for inflation. And it will soon pass up Disney and Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 ($385.8 million) in North America to become the top summer earner.

That also means Wonder Woman will earn roughly 3.8 times the $103.3 million it collected when it launched over the June 2-4 weekend — the best multiple for the genre in decades. Currently, the film's multiple is 3.6, slightly ahead of the first Spider-Man in 2002. The first Guardians of the Galaxy (2014) was also a word-of-mouth sensation, sporting a 3.5 multiple, while Nolan's sequel, The Dark Knight (2008), powered to a 3.4 multiple.

Generally speaking, a multiple in the vicinity of 2.5 to 3 is considered a win for a superhero film, particularly if the opening is especially mighty, i.e., north of $120 million.

"It feels like Wonder Woman will play all the way through August," says Warners' Jeff Goldstein, president of domestic distribution. "Right now, the movie is still in about 3,000 locations. Usually, the theater count would be a fraction of that at this point."

The critically acclaimed film is also destined to become the studio's third-biggest movie domestically after The Dark Knight ($534.9 million) and The Dark Knight Rises ($448.1 million), again not accounting for inflation. It is about to pass up the final Harry Potter film ($381 million) after eclipsing American Sniper ($350.1 million) and Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice ($330.4 million).

Globally, Wonder Woman has already become the top-grossing film of all time from a female helmer with solo directing duties. Still, overseas, Wonder Woman has been slower to catch on, earning roughly $380 million to date for a global total of around $750 million. Many times, the foreign box office accounts for 70 percent of a tentpole's total gross; Wonder Woman's split is currently 49 percent domestic and 51 percent international.

Earlier this week, Ryan Reynolds and the team behind 20th Century Fox's superhero sensation Deadpool generously tweeted a congratulatory note after Wonder Woman passed up Deadpool, which posted a domestic total of $363.1 million in early 2016. Reynolds' is among many who are happy to sing Wonder Woman's praises.

"When critics and audiences are on the same page, you can pretty much bet the box office will be supercharged for the long haul," says box-office analyst Jeff Bock. "Wonder Woman is also a vehicle of female empowerment, something we don't regularly see in the superhero genre, and that has made it a very unique property this summer."

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Autism Sneaks posted:

can we call out bad film directors/producers for advancing fascism without accusing one another of being Soviet apologists

If you could manage a coherent argument that Snyder is bad or the films are fascist apologia sure but as it stands your "call out" toothless and empty

And the Soviet Union was good, or at least better than what preceded and followed it

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

DeimosRising posted:

If you could manage a coherent argument that Snyder is bad or the films are fascist apologia sure but as it stands your "call out" toothless and empty
Umm, Ayn Rand?? Rotten Tomatoes score????

Case closed.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

DeimosRising posted:

And the Soviet Union was good, or at least better than what preceded and followed it

Jesus loving Christ.

I've got ten million murdered Ukrainians on line one.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Can we talk about whether the Soviet Union is culpable for the holodomor and/or if the tsar would have done worse in D&D rather than the wonder woman thread, please

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

That's where lovely communist whitewashing belongs so, sure.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

This thread turned too much to the left. Nooooo

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

McSpanky posted:

Jesus loving Christ.

I've got ten million murdered Ukrainians on line one.

lmao

the numbers just get bigger and bigger

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

R. Guyovich posted:

lmao

the numbers just get bigger and bigger

:chloe: sounding a bit too much of an atrocity denier, dude who called the dc films "nazi propaganda"

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

There's a whole lot of stupid going on this page.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

I gotta say, good job german mortar team. First shell out and it would have been a direct hit on a moving target.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

By then they had plenty of practice.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Equeen posted:

:chloe: sounding a bit too much of an atrocity denier, dude who called the dc films "nazi propaganda"

i'll take "actual history" for 800, alex

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Mr. Apollo posted:

The rumors are the Wonder Woman 2 will have her fighting the Soviets in the 1980s. Diana fighting alongside the mujahideen?

http://screenrant.com/wonder-woman-2-movie-setting-chris-pine/

How the hell could they make a feminist icon fighting side by side with islamist rebels work?

I think the Soviets were terrible, but if Diana has to choose sides between them and the mujahideen, the Soviets make more sense given her character.

Anyways, didn't the director say she was going to set the next movie in the US?

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Charlz Guybon posted:

How the hell could they make a feminist icon fighting side by side with islamist rebels work?

I think the Soviets were terrible, but if Diana has to choose sides between them and the mujahideen, the Soviets make more sense given her character.

While I think it's impossible to make Rambo 3 or The Beast after 9/11, I still can't see in any way how the soviets would appeal to her, in the context of the Afghans or the US (or anyone).

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Charlz Guybon posted:

Jenkins said that initially; then she said it'll take place sometime between 1917 and 2017 and now 80s Soviets are the newest rumour.

The movie is a couple of years away at best. I'm sure we'll here a dozen more pitches for it in the mean time.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Ape Agitator posted:

While I think it's impossible to make Rambo 3 or The Beast after 9/11, I still can't see in any way how the soviets would appeal to her, in the context of the Afghans or the US (or anyone).

yes i am also confused as to why the dra government, which granted equal rights to women, might appeal to a nominally feminist hero

or why the same government, which ousted landlords and guaranteed universal rights to education, health care and housing, might appeal to non-islamists

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Hey I know how to stop all this arguing, I'll leak a rumor that the next Wonder Woman is set during the Yom Kippur War and Gal Gadot plays two roles, one as Wonder Woman and another as an Israeli woman, and at multiple points in the movie Gadot as the Israeli woman turns to the camera and delivers a monologue about how Israel is the greatest nation on Earth and how it has done nothing wrong, and while she speaks she morphs into Wonder Woman and in the background American and Israeli flags are waving. Then this thread can stop being so political!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

She lassos a Palestinian child who screams "THIS IS COMPLETELY JUSTIFIED! PLEASE BULLDOZE MY BROTHERS HOMES!”

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I was watching BvS today and have a question. Did Diana know that Bruce Wayne was Batman or know that something was up with him? She took the drive he was using to download the data from Lex's computers. How did she know about that unless she was following him and watching him and why would she do that unless she knew he was up to something? Clark knew something was up because he could hear Alfred talking to him.

There's also the look she gives him at the beginning of the party. She's looking around to as if she's looking for someone and looks right at him. Was she looking for him specifically?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Bruce Wayne barely maintains any pretense, the lovely smirk on his face is daring someone to out him as Batman.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I assumed that was a by product of being obscenely wealthy.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Mr. Apollo posted:

I assumed that was a by product of being obscenely wealthy.

Batman's only superpower is being obscenely wealthy. Everyone knows better than to bring it up, the cops don't care because he's on their side. Clark probably doesn't know because he's "new to Metropolis". Lex clearly knows and says so to his face, Diana can smell it on him.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Batman's only superpower is being obscenely wealthy. Everyone knows better than to bring it up, the cops don't care because he's on their side. Clark probably doesn't know because he's "new to Metropolis". Lex clearly knows and says so to his face, Diana can smell it on him.
So it's just a coincidence that Diana meets him at the party figures out that he's up to something and discovers his drive attached to Lex's computers? I mean what if Bruce didn't show up to the party? I'm assuming her century of living among mankind has allowed her to be an excellent reader of people and that's why she picked up on Bruce being up to something?

edit - I guess what I'm wondering is are there other clues in the film to her motivations or are they left open to speculation at this point?

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jul 16, 2017

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I think it's a combination of her being a keen observer and him being not particularly subtle or discreet.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I think it's a combination of her being a keen observer and him being not particularly subtle or discreet.
I guess that's the point of the scene after he realizes she's taken his drive. She's able to effortlessly walk between all the guests and make it out to her car well ahead of Bruce. He constantly gets slowed by people walking in his path and is momentarily blocked by the Parthenon cake.

He figures he had the upper hand but she just showed him how sloppy he was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The White Portugese thing is a good example of Bruce being too clever by half.

• Locked thread