Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
I ordered the game, but lol@ amazon shipping to hawaii, I'll get in a fuckin week, so I have lots of time to plan my build :getin:

I was thinking:

Vaan: Archer/Red Battlemage (Character to mostly ignore for most of the game, I'll drag him out for tough optional stuff because red mage's Ardor spell plus the archer's Burning Bow will destroy poo poo)
Penelo: Monk/Black Mage (Primary black mage with monk's high level white magic support, can become a Punchwoman Supreme with a simple equipment change)
Balthier: White Mage/Machinist (Stealin' healin'. Not sold on machinist but I wanted to use all the classes and it's what was left.)
Fran: Foebreaker/Shikari (Melee tank rabbit.)
Basch: Knight/Time Battlemage (Support tank)
Ashe: Samurai/Uhlan (Genji glove with actually good weapons, samurai magic power support for uhlan's black magic)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

what's the hardest final fantasy that isn't 2

not counting post game superbosses like dark aeons/penance

After FF3D, I would say the hardest is FF13. My fingers hurt after playing it this last time and I still couldn't beat Orphan without Poison.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
When do you unlock the second job, anyway?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Here's what I'm thinking for my party, combination of min/max and flavor choices:

Basch: Samurai/Knight
Balthier: Machinist/Whitemage
Fran: Monk/Blackmage

Ashe: Whitemage/Timemage
Vaan: Shikari/Foebreaker
Penelo: Redmage/Archer

Basch, Baltheir and Fran being my main party, with Ashe as the next most used.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jul 12, 2017

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Cephas posted:

after the first esper

Majik Ninja
Jan 16, 2004

Cephas posted:

After you get the first esper. It made me so happy to have all these options. Speed mode makes it so easy. I remember struggling with Garuda for a long time on PS2. He just melted this time around.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Versions of 1 that still use spell charges instead of MP are a pretty reasonable challenge.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Bongo Bill posted:

Versions of 1 that still use spell charges instead of MP are a pretty reasonable challenge.

There are versions of 1 that use MP!?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

The GBA, PSP, and mobile remakes rebalance the whole game to be considerably easier, and use MP instead of spell charges. They also add a lot of post-game content, some of which is even fun. As far as I know, it's only the original releases and the PS1 version ("Final Fantasy Origins") that use spell charges. I don't know which category the Wonderswan Color version fits into.

Warning: do not play the MSX version of Final Fantasy 1

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Majik Ninja posted:

I remember struggling with Garuda for a long time on PS2. He just melted this time around.

Did you feed him the berries? I love that that works and you can just go roughshod on Garuda.

Zaphod42 posted:

They also made it so that potions don't heal 40 HP and spells work as intended. Downside is the final boss is basically a slab of beef for HP that previous encounters don't prepare you for so enjoy tedium if you've been relying on black magic as your damage source.

The post game dungeons are... uh, variable in quality but you get to fight Shinryu and such in FF1 which I guess is neat. The super final mega dungeon is a loving nightmare and the plot surrounding it is After Years stupid.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jul 12, 2017

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The reason why Final Fantasy Origins is the best version of FF1 is that it keeps a good difficulty curve while simultaneously fixing the nonfunctional spells, buggy formulas, etc.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Probably 13, it takes a while to get going but once you hit Barthandantalus 1 it's less about difficulty spikes and more a series of vertical cliffs.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Barudak posted:

so enjoy tedium if you've been relying on black magic as your damage source.

uh excuse you black magic is the ultimate source of damage. it has haste AND tempr

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Every time I play I end up making Ashe a Knight because I feel it fits her too well.

So for Zodiac Age I'll make her Knight/Time Mage. Thematic and fits her abilities in later game incarnations.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
If you do not pick Samurai for Basch you've made the wrong choice

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

WaltherFeng posted:

If you do not pick Samurai for Basch you've made the wrong choice

Yeah Samurai/Knight for Basch is so natural and also owns hard

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Barudak posted:

The post game dungeons are... uh, variable in quality but you get to fight Shinryu and such in FF1 which I guess is neat. The super final mega dungeon is a loving nightmare and the plot surrounding it is After Years stupid.

I love that when they picked 4 bosses from each FF to fight in that game, they included the Phantom Train as one of the ones from VI.

The PSP version also had a couple of neat remixes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVPZ5EEKsv0

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

corn in the bible posted:

Even if 13 had a good story it would still be boring and suck hth

Just like your posts and opinions

Hth

corn in the bible posted:

ff12 isn't good

Another one to add to the pile

ApplesandOranges posted:

They still have their merits and being able to attack from range and dodge AoEs is great, and the various elemental ammo can be very useful. Just don't expect them to be kings of DPS.

You can actually just make one of your underlevelled characters a gun-user. Sinc gun damage is affected only by the gun and ammo, the only important statistic for the gun-user is HP.

And animation speed

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Other Games where you are fighting evil governments, and then suddenly gods

FF6
FF7
FF8
FF9
FF...10 sort of
FF11 probably who knows
FF Tactics
FF15

Also ffXIII

Arguably FFXIV

Calaveron posted:

Still think it's a shame that despite the game's settings and very varied races of peoples, your team still consists of nothing but humans and a human with bunny ears

And whose entire race dresses like hookers

Mega64 posted:

The final boss of the 1952 and 1956 U.S. Presidential Elections Adlai Stevenson joins your party in FF6.

Whose party does Trump join

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Kalenn Istarion posted:

zidane

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I think 4 Heroes of Light for the DS used the old FF1 charges magic system but I can't remember much about that game including if it was hard or tedious because of that.

I know that game was literally proto-Bravely Default but I haven't played that either so can't comment on it either.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Kalenn Istarion posted:

And whose entire race dresses like hookers

Don't race shame

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Kelp Me! posted:

I think 4 Heroes of Light for the DS used the old FF1 charges magic system but I can't remember much about that game including if it was hard or tedious because of that.

I know that game was literally proto-Bravely Default but I haven't played that either so can't comment on it either.

IIRC there was no magic cost system, all commands including magic cost a certain number of ability points that you gained during battle.

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

FFXII is good and my only issue currently is the voices still sound like they were recorded and then re-recorded from somebody just playing the voices on their phone. Not a huge issue since it would have been hell to try and actually get the cast all back and do it again.

Side FFX question: Is there not some clever strategy (without Yojimbo) to take out the Dark Aeons without excessive grinding?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the voices stll dont sound great but at least this time they dont sound like they were recorded in a wendy's bathroom

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

They still sound like that to me, I should listen to the old ones again.

I'm being boring in my job selection so Vaan's a Shikari and Pene's a White mage.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Other Games where you are fighting evil governments, and then suddenly gods

FF6
FF7
FF8
FF9
FF...10 sort of
FF11 probably who knows
FF Tactics
FF1
In 10 you're fighting an evil god, and the big twist is that the government is evil.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
So I think it's been said, but you can carry items to the main game from Trial Mode, and you can farm it infinitely. You get like 25 lp from the first two stages alone which is a TON early in the game. You can also steal a legendary katana in like stage 5? I think? (Flowering Cactoid).

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

In 10 you're fighting an evil god, and the big twist is that the government is evil.

Yu Yevon wasn't really a god, though. The funniest thing about X's story is that the Yevon rligion, by the time of X, had nothing to do with Yevon. Wakka and Lulu are as clueless as Tidus when Yunalesca and Mika namedrop Yu Yevon.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I came into this thread to ask if there were any significant differences to Zodiac Age in terms of core gameplay and I see people talking about dual jobs, geez

Did they change anything like drop locations or the invisible chest that contains the best bow in the game? I'm a big mega powergamer who knows too much about things like chest locations and drop percentages

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

let me tell you about dustia farming

get a lot of phoenix downs and go to the western desert once penelo leaves your party

setup a gambit for "on enemy sighted -> use phoenix down" and set battle speed to minimum (turn off the turbo, too)

smack yourself until you're at 10% of your max health and cross the zone to the north.

within 2 seconds an angry ghost named Dustia will appear and start casting dark on you. But you're so cool you instantly vaporize it with your phoenix down. Before its death animation finishes, cross back into the previous zone. If you see a popup with xp and lp you bungled it, reload. You should be able to zone in, kill ghost (get its drop) and leave within 5-6 seconds.

It gets you 1100 xp and 3 lp per kill

an hour of dustia farming will get you to around....35?

that means when the later npcs join your party they'll also be 35/36/37

enjoy the steamroll

or don't and just enjoy the really cool game

I appreciate this.

Now to figure out how to get that deathblade? weapon in the mines, something about high level mimic.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Dunno about any invisible chests but they changed it so there's some fixed ones with guaranteed items in now and the random ones only contain money or consumables.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Levantine posted:

So I think it's been said, but you can carry items to the main game from Trial Mode, and you can farm it infinitely. You get like 25 lp from the first two stages alone which is a TON early in the game. You can also steal a legendary katana in like stage 5? I think? (Flowering Cactoid).

I am going to do this.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
I picked Breaker for Vaan. Debuffery!

This game looks fantastic and I don't hear the voice audio problems everyone complained about but I have a nice audio setup with full surround and all that.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
So I'm thinking of making Fran my Foebreaker is this a terrible decision

I figure her STR wouldn't matter since axe damage is random anyway, and that basically lets me have Basch be a knight, Balthier a monk, and Penelo works as a black mage. It really only leaves me with what to do with Ashe, since I'm running Vaan as a ninja.

EDIT: And subjobs can also help even out people's skill sets, right? I've not even gotten a second party member yet, I dunno how long before they unlock those

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
I just made it through the mines in Brujerba (sp) and all this job talk is making me want to restart.

Vaan Monk
Balthier White Mage
Fran Red mage
Basch Archer
Panelo Uldan?

Haven't got Ashe yet but considering Sam, though I have heard that is some kind of myth.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Just keep playing with your job choices and don't worry about it.

...but in case you really need to have the perfect job setup: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1rBpOmegCizn3KOPwrKvC5yipu9Yfh0IZ6YE-mh_e59g/edit?usp=sharing

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I'm not worrying about minmaxing my first go around, but you better drat believe I'm going to do MAX DPS JOB COMBOS when I spin through the game a second time.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

So I'm passed the initial starting dungeons, at the point of meeting up with Balthier and Fran to go rescue Penelo. This is roughly the point I've reached in the past when playing this game, but I am having way more fun this time around.

Very excited to take on the three or so available hunts I've accepted and then try out the Trial mode.

Game's good.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Sefal posted:

I appreciate this.

Now to figure out how to get that deathblade? weapon in the mines, something about high level mimic.

You need to do the Mines sidequest that revolve around the little coastal town and the Cactoid hunt to get the key to the mines. Then, once inside the mines, there's a unique mark mimic that you can steal the weapon from. I'm pretty sure all of this is available after the Tomb of Kings when the game really opens up for primo sequence breaking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

You need to do the Mines sidequest that revolve around the little coastal town and the Cactoid hunt to get the key to the mines. Then, once inside the mines, there's a unique mark mimic that you can steal the weapon from. I'm pretty sure all of this is available after the Tomb of Kings when the game really opens up for primo sequence breaking

That was it! I remember now. Thank you!