Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

I never played smash but I guess its the equivalent of slipping? Really wild luck I have one death in over 150 hours of playtime. Red zone to me just means "run like no one can hear you" reposition time

I've played ~250 rounds and I've never died to red-zone, and I've only seen the text "xxx died in the red-zone" about twenty times - I've played many games where no one dies in the red zone. Given that it has seemingly zero chance of killing you indoors, and that it takes time before the red zone starts bombing, I think the red zone should be a lot deadlier than it is.

In smash bros brawl, tripping was introduced because the good players had a tendency to "dash dance" (run right and left switching direction really fast, used for spacing mindgames) when playing melee, and I guess having a 1% change of a character falling over whenever the player touches the stick in a direction was supposed to fix that for some retarded reason? It was pretty solid example of what not to do when making a game (it happened very frequently, as opposed to red zone, which might as well not exist).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
I have left more buggies upside-down and abandoned than all other vehicles put together. The UAZ is usually too heavy to roll over, and the Dacia will usually land on its wheels, but buggies want to feel the ground on their heads and will treat any change in terrain as a chance to gently caress you over.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Party at WeedBabyGoku420xxx's house with ovee and owenator.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
hey owenator next time use lube & it won't bleed like that

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Red zone bombs have really weak saturation. I'm surprised at how simple it is to drive through active bombing.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Red zone bombs have really weak saturation. I'm surprised at how simple it is to drive through active bombing.

The red zone as it currently is is rather safe to ignore, you have something like a 1/1000 chance to die but it's usually a risk that doesn't justify actively trying to avoid it.

Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Docjowles posted:

Thanks whoever linked chocoTaco's stream the other day. Been enjoying learning from him. It's a nice change of pace from the likes of summit and grimmz. Dude is chill as gently caress and not trying to put on a show for everyone. Just quietly grinding his way into the NA top 10 by killing mans all day. Does a good job explaining what he is doing and why, too.

The guy is good and the stream is relaxing. I just wish it wasn't so much of "get sniper, drive to house in middle of circle, punch out all windows, and wait". Good strat to place high, less great to watch.

Also, he uses the same wireless headset I use so :3:

Ashrik fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Jul 12, 2017

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
I'm down with making the red zone more lethal, but then either the time between it being announced and it starting needs to be increased or it needs to be shrunk down. As it stands, you don't have the chance to run out before it starts if you're in the middle when it spawns and it becoming more dangerous would just add more tedious and unnecessary RNG to a game that is more than enough luck-based as is.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

lol

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
More RNG?
Add Blue zones, full of land mines!

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Driving through the red zone yesterday killed 2 out of the 4 people in our car. Not sure if the 2 of us that didn't die even took any damage.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Just have literal acid rain.

Have Blue
Mar 27, 2013

Panther Like a Panther
hit a wall at ~2k rating NA solo. I'm pretty sure its because I'm a cockroach who'd rather skitter away from fights than take them, is there a way to climb higher playing mostly passively/ambush instead of going full meatgrinder?

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
Loot the blue, don't use vehicles after the second circle closes, avoid buildings, don't shoot unless you have to until it is a guaranteed kill and you know you have time to reposition. Unfortunately, most of these quickly make the game a lot more boring as well.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Generally the way ratings work they reflect how well you're doing. You shouldn't ask yourself "how do I juice my numbers", you should ask yourself "how can I play better?", and as you improve your rating will naturally rise.

--

If you're playing chicken most of the time then the best way for you to improve is probably just to take more fights. It's a hard habit to break, because there's no obvious feedback mechanism that punishes you for not taking a fight you should have taken.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Make the bombs in the red zone highly visible parachute bombs, and make it so there's way more of them. Theoretically you could loot and move around freely in the red zone, but it'll demand increased situational awareness and force you to stay on your feet. If you're lucky, you're alone in the zone, if you're unlucky there'll be open combat with bombs falling all around.

Also apply this periodically to the endgame circles.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Spawn a red zone whenever the final circle is in a wheat field.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

I've played ~250 rounds and I've never died to red-zone, and I've only seen the text "xxx died in the red-zone" about twenty times - I've played many games where no one dies in the red zone. Given that it has seemingly zero chance of killing you indoors, and that it takes time before the red zone starts bombing, I think the red zone should be a lot deadlier than it is.

I've been hit by the red zone twice. Both times I was in a house.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Jabor posted:

Spawn a red zone whenever the final circle is in a wheat field.
I like this idea, because it's still not really going to hurt anyone but BAYSPLOSIONS would make for great finale fights.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD
I got sniped out of a moving buggy at 90 kph by a red zone explosion. The guy in the back seat didn't get a scratch.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

rumble in the bunghole posted:

Man it's loving bullshit that I died from jumping off a speeding motorbike into shallow water. I deserved that crate.

Weird, I've spent quite a few bike's lives trying to land on boats at max speed and I haven't died once

willroc7 posted:

Anyone know what's going on with the glitchy white tiles in my plane drops shown here? I've had the same thing with both a 1070 and a 1080.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUrKsbm718g

What changes have you made for this game in your nvidia control panel?

Harry Potter on Ice fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jul 12, 2017

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot
Suppressors for rifles are overpowered and unrealistic. I killed 2 people from very close and they had no idea what was happening.

Assault rifles don't become whispers when you use a suppressor.

Like they should muffle it so the hillsides don't boom but it shouldn't be nearly inaudible.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Is there a goon called RitikaSA or something?

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Spunky those guys just sucked. Only the vss is silent. The thunk thunk thunk you hear everyone else does too.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

I killed 2 people from very close and they had no idea what was happening.

If you sneak up on people and get that close most likely they still won't know what happened suppressor or not. When you engage a group like that there's a lot of 'OH GOD I'M DEAD DON'T KNOW FROM WHERE' and then 'I SEE HIM HE'S RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME (???) SHOOT HIM GODDAMNIT OH poo poo I'M DEAD TOO' and 'WHERE IN FRONT OF YOU GIMME A HEADING'

I mean, this is what happens with my group and people definitely don't need a suppressor to cause it.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Suppressed assault rifle shots can be heard from up to 150 meters away, and locating where they come from is trivial. Spunky Psycho Ho, you dunked on some scrubs, grats.

TJChap2840
Sep 24, 2009

Ashrik posted:

The guy is good and the stream is relaxing. I just wish it wasn't so much of "get sniper, drive to house in middle of circle, punch out all windows, and wait". Good strat to place high, less great to watch.

Also, he uses the same wireless headset I use so :3:

I agree with this 100%. He is clearly very good and his play style has earned him a high rank but it's not really something a lot of people will be interested in watching.

It's all constructive criticism though because he seems like a good dude and I hope he becomes successful

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Spunky those guys just sucked. Only the vss is silent. The thunk thunk thunk you hear everyone else does too.

Oh ok. I thought it was nearly silent because they were totally clueless and I was only like 15 meters away.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Sometimes when you get shot from close by you tend to panic a little, you know.

But suppressors are still very good.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Practice making quick accurate calls in non stressful situations and it'll come to you. Just something you gotta practice, we all cant be as calm as Lohli

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Any advice for surviving the mid-game? A few friends and I have picked the game up recently, and while we tend to do well early, and have even won a few matches the biggest hurdle seems to be the mid game. Moving to the next circle and knowing where your threats are likely to come from. We tend to get caught in ambushes, or get caught from the side while moving. I feel like a lot of time that vehicles are a trap unless you get out before your destination and hoof it, since they are so damned loud.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

Oh ok. I thought it was nearly silent because they were totally clueless and I was only like 15 meters away.

That's just normal, even if you didn't have a suppressor.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

Zotix posted:

Any advice for surviving the mid-game? A few friends and I have picked the game up recently, and while we tend to do well early, and have even won a few matches the biggest hurdle seems to be the mid game. Moving to the next circle and knowing where your threats are likely to come from. We tend to get caught in ambushes, or get caught from the side while moving. I feel like a lot of time that vehicles are a trap unless you get out before your destination and hoof it, since they are so damned loud.

-wear headphones and listen for vehicles/footsteps/gunshots
-press your alt key and look around while moving
-aim your gun and don't miss
-do not use SMGs for anything other than spraying someone down in a building

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
honestly, the main thing that I've noticed playing with 'bad' players is lovely call outs and poor awareness. Pay attention to your minimap, pay attention to where your team is. If I say, "there is a guy east of me behind the nearest tree", that should be good enough because you should recognize my voice or see who is talking in the discord channel or the mic thing in-game.

Basic awareness would probably take the majority of bad players to average. And then after that I think the main thing that can take a team from average to good is having one good shot caller that mainly focuses on map awareness and where to go next and everyone just listens to that dude when he says 'time to go idiots'.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Zotix posted:

A lot of players park their vehicles poorly. If you're coming into a town where you don't know where people are, the vehicle needs to be stopped right up against cover (not 15 feet away, right up against) and in a position that's defendable.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Doorknob Slobber posted:

honestly, the main thing that I've noticed playing with 'bad' players is lovely call outs and poor awareness. Pay attention to your minimap, pay attention to where your team is. If I say, "there is a guy east of me behind the nearest tree", that should be good enough because you should recognize my voice or see who is talking in the discord channel or the mic thing in-game.

Basic awareness would probably take the majority of bad players to average. And then after that I think the main thing that can take a team from average to good is having one good shot caller that mainly focuses on map awareness and where to go next and everyone just listens to that dude when he says 'time to go idiots'.

The consistent thing with bad players is their inability to hit things. You're correct about the awareness thing but that kind of feeds back into shooting people.

The best strategy will lose to the worst strategy when the people executing it are unable to aim their guns.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

My favorite way of combating people who are holed up in buildings with their car (poorly) hidden outside is to just shoot out their car's tires and drive off.

Unless it's a motorcycle, then I shoot out mine and steal their bike. :smug:

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Count Bleck posted:

My favorite way of combating people who are holed up in buildings with their car (poorly) hidden outside is to just shoot out their car's tires and drive off.

Unless it's a motorcycle, then I shoot out mine and steal their bike. :smug:

I just let them drive past then loot when they hit a 1 pixel high bump and flip 500 times, killing themselves instantly

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Guns are fickle beasts in this game. I wish the over the shoulder was better sometimes it feels like it's just hip firing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

tote up a bags posted:

I just let them drive past then loot when they hit a 1 pixel high bump and flip 500 times, killing themselves instantly

My friend and I were driving behind another Jeep and I started firing to get him to swerve. And like clockwork the thing tips and corkscrews off the small bridge and we blast the guys out of the river

The awful car physics are really fun when it's a road battle

• Locked thread