Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Kickstarter posted:

With this knife, Michelin stars are bound to be within easy reach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

I burst out laughing at that, amazing.

Also those are physically painful to look at, ugh.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

gently caress man im gonna invent a no-handle knife

handles only hold me back anyways

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I burst out laughing at that, amazing.

Also those are physically painful to look at, ugh.

Don't forget the "pairing" knife! Spelling aside, holding that knife like they do in the video should impale your thumb if the thing was at all sharp.

Flunky
Jan 2, 2014

I don't understand how all these lovely snake-oil knife kickstarters consistently raise assloads of money. I guess most of them haven't shipped and disappointed people yet?

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Flunky posted:

I don't understand how all these lovely snake-oil knife kickstarters consistently raise assloads of money. I guess most of them haven't shipped and disappointed people yet?

It's all in aggressively marketing your campaign and making you product sound way more revolutionary than it is. Think about how many of these you see some bullshit article linking to it with some clickbait headline like "These brothers are changing the backpack game and you WON'T BELIEVE how they're doing it!" My guess is they also become more successful and start getting more "articles" published like that after they become funded because then their successful funding fuels more people buying in.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

But can it cut a tin can in half and remain sharp enough to filet a tomato?

BastardAus
Jun 3, 2003
Chunder from Down Under

mindphlux posted:

yeah, unless he is a Polished Knife Enthusiast, he probably scratched something and wanted to cover it up. also $40 sounds absurd, I hope that was the total cost and you got 8-10 knives done. our neighborhood knife dude does them $3-5 per knife just as a point of comparison. which I think is pretty inexpensive, so I'd forgive a dude charging $10 a knife I guess. maybe.

No offense, but this is Sydney, Australia. On top of the Australia tax he probs does 10 knives a day on weekends. The rest of the week maybe 10 again.
After tax he's not getting rich. I feel okay letting this man make a living. Considering I'll not use him again for 8-10 years.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Do I pay someone to sharpen or do I try and do it myself? Obviously I've never tried before. I plan on buying a honing rod to use once they haven been sharpened too.

My knives are two good Japanese ones, a decent euro one and a bunch of crap ones if that detail matters. For the Japanese ones I feel like I would need to sharpen them at least every 6 months.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Start practicing on your crap knives first

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Just rub them real good on your driveway. If you get the angle right it'll be good as new.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Croatoan posted:

Just rub them real good on your driveway. If you get the angle right it'll be good as new.

What if I live on a dirt road? How about a rusty bumper if an 82 Ford F150?

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
You should be good if you've got a big enough rock. Just make sure it's at least 80 grit or so.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Red_Fred posted:

Do I pay someone to sharpen or do I try and do it myself? Obviously I've never tried before. I plan on buying a honing rod to use once they haven been sharpened too.

My knives are two good Japanese ones, a decent euro one and a bunch of crap ones if that detail matters. For the Japanese ones I feel like I would need to sharpen them at least every 6 months.

Do not try to sharpen the good or decent ones until you get good at feeling out the angle and getting a good edge on the crap ones. The good ones will have a bit smaller/more acute angle than your crap ones.

To get good at sharpening the crap ones, do this exactly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4XgLgvqjYk

Most important IMO is feeling out the angle. I hosed up a lot of knife trying to get something that felt like 17 degrees or whatever, when the correct method is to get something that feels "right" in a way that's hard to describe unless you've felt yourself nailing the bevel on a good stone and feeling the edge get that glass-smooth polish. That knife is better than yours but the principles are all the same. That dude has a lot of good sharpening videos. like this one;

Croatoan posted:

You should be good if you've got a big enough rock. Just make sure it's at least 80 grit or so.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoEZI82-M_k

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jul 12, 2017

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
I finally splurged a little and picked up two decent knives last night in Osaka from Tower Knives. That shop was awesome and the people who work there could not have been more accomodating to a non-Japanese speaker. I ended up with a Blue #2 210 gyuto and Blue #2 nakiri. They are crazy sharp and I'm really excited to put them to use. I also picked up a 1000/3000 combination wet stone.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I'm thinking of buying a few knives for a friend as a wedding present. Or one nice knife and a gift cert to a local place that sharpens knives (by hand). The friend has a good chef's knife and then a bunch of poo poo knives. Any recommendations? I'd like to spend in the $150 or less range.

The wife and I have a set of four Wusthof grand prix ii's (chef, paring, bread, longer utility knife) plus a santoku that doesn't fit in the slightly too-small knife block we have. We love those, but it looks like the similar sets from Wusthof are in the ~$230-250 range. Do I just need to be more generous?

In any event, that's about the quality that I'd want to give (or better I suppose, if I have bought into some sort of good marketing but bad knife world).

Arcturas fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Aug 4, 2017

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Arcturas posted:

I'm thinking of buying a few knives for a friend as a wedding present. Or one nice knife and a gift cert to a local place that sharpens knives (by hand). The friend has a good chef's knife and then a bunch of poo poo knives. Any recommendations? I'd like to spend in the $150 or less range.

The wife and I have a set of four Wusthof grand prix ii's (chef, paring, bread, longer utility knife) plus a santoku that doesn't fit in the slightly too-small knife block we have. We love those, but it looks like the similar sets from Wusthof are in the ~$230-250 range. Do I just need to be more generous?

In any event, that's about the quality that I'd want to give (or better I suppose, if I have bought into some sort of good marketing but bad knife world).

I'd get them a Takamura Migaki R2, it's slightly over your price point at $160 but it's as good or better than most $300 knives. Knife sets are generally to be avoided, most of them have far too many knives that you don't really need and the knives tend to be low quality. I'll just note that the knife I am recommending is quite a bit different than a western Chef's Knife, much thinner, lighter and sharper and with much harder steel, so they should avoid doing things like hacking through bones with it.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I'd get them a Takamura Migaki R2, it's slightly over your price point at $160 but it's as good or better than most $300 knives. Knife sets are generally to be avoided, most of them have far too many knives that you don't really need and the knives tend to be low quality. I'll just note that the knife I am recommending is quite a bit different than a western Chef's Knife, much thinner, lighter and sharper and with much harder steel, so they should avoid doing things like hacking through bones with it.

If you know anything about them, can you compare that with the Kohetsu AS or HAP40 lines? That line was the one I was most looking at lately, but haven't made a final decision yet. I've sorta decided that I'm looking for a high HRC knife and just get it sharpened professionally every few months, and I have a backup beater knife for hacking apart super tough veggies and carcasses/etc.

TheQuietWilds fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Aug 4, 2017

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

TheQuietWilds posted:

If you know anything about them, can you compare that with the Kohetsu AS or HAP40 lines? That line was the one I was most looking at lately, but haven't made a final decision yet. I've sorta decided that I'm looking for a high HRC knife and just get it sharpened professionally every few months, and I have a backup beater knife for hacking apart super tough veggies and carcasses/etc.

What differences were you looking for? I haven't personally handled the knives in question so I can't really make an in depth comparison or tell you how they perform in the hand.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

What differences were you looking for? I haven't personally handled the knives in question so I can't really make an in depth comparison or tell you how they perform in the hand.

Mostly just curiosity. I've been looking for something in the $150-225 range for a gyuto/chef with an available matching petty, with a high HRC, and hadn't heard of that brand. I can't tell if there's an incredible groupthink on the CKTG forums about the Kohetsu HAP40 line or if it is really that good, so my immediate thought on seeing your recommendation was to wonder how they compared. My top priority is edge retention, I'm crazy busy/exhausted with a medical career at the moment and while I can happily take care of a nice knife (as far as washing and drying carefully/promptly, etc) I don't want to dick around with learning to sharpen knives right now. I just want a knife that I can take to a pro every now and then that will perform well for low-intensity use over a relatively long period in between.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

TheQuietWilds posted:

Mostly just curiosity. I've been looking for something in the $150-225 range for a gyuto/chef with an available matching petty, with a high HRC, and hadn't heard of that brand. I can't tell if there's an incredible groupthink on the CKTG forums about the Kohetsu HAP40 line or if it is really that good, so my immediate thought on seeing your recommendation was to wonder how they compared. My top priority is edge retention, I'm crazy busy/exhausted with a medical career at the moment and while I can happily take care of a nice knife (as far as washing and drying carefully/promptly, etc) I don't want to dick around with learning to sharpen knives right now. I just want a knife that I can take to a pro every now and then that will perform well for low-intensity use over a relatively long period in between.

Well, for edge retention I would definitely go with HAP40, it was originally designed as a high speed tool steel and it will hold an edge longer than either Aogami Super or R2, it's a real pain to sharpen but as long as your pro sharpener can deal with it you should be fine. Of course if you plan to learn to sharpen in the future I would go with Aogami Super since it holds an edge very well and is pretty easy to sharpen, if you are willing to spend a bit more the Moritaka AS line is incredible for the price and really blows Kohetsu out of the water, just make sure to clean and dry the knives promptly after use since they are clad in soft iron.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

hey thread

So I moved and my kitchen is small, not a lot of room for cutting board real estate, which means my old tojiro is a tad unwieldy. I am looking for a santoku - my gf asked for a shorter blade so that she can handle it properly - and I am looking for some suggestions. Carbon is not an issue and I have some ceramic stones that while not as nice or awesome as japanese waterstones, do a fantastic job in sharpening from banged-up crap knives to awesome ones. Something at least up to par in terms of Tojiro-esque quality would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance :)

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

dead comedy forums posted:

hey thread

So I moved and my kitchen is small, not a lot of room for cutting board real estate, which means my old tojiro is a tad unwieldy. I am looking for a santoku - my gf asked for a shorter blade so that she can handle it properly - and I am looking for some suggestions. Carbon is not an issue and I have some ceramic stones that while not as nice or awesome as japanese waterstones, do a fantastic job in sharpening from banged-up crap knives to awesome ones. Something at least up to par in terms of Tojiro-esque quality would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance :)

Tojiro does Santokus too, so you could go with that. How much were you looking to spend?

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Tojiro does Santokus too, so you could go with that. How much were you looking to spend?

A brand new tojiro dp would be $70, so I guess around that? I can make an exception for a more expensive knife if it is really awesome in terms of cost benefit (like a $85 one that performs just as well as around double that price), if there is such a thing.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

dead comedy forums posted:

A brand new tojiro dp would be $70, so I guess around that? I can make an exception for a more expensive knife if it is really awesome in terms of cost benefit (like a $85 one that performs just as well as around double that price), if there is such a thing.

Here are a few knives to look at:

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/tostwa.html: This is a Tojiro with a japanese style handle and a bit lighter than the DP knives because of that. Very cheap at $60.

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/yawh1sa16.html: This one is much more traditional and made of carbon steel, very easy to sharpen. Nothing about it is stainless but it is lacquered and because of that it needs a sharpening out of the box. The fit and finish is on the rough side so you would want to take some sandpaper to the edges of the spine and choil to take some of the edge off of them and the handle fit is a little rough so you would want to fill in the gaps with some epoxy to keep water out. However it's very, very cheap for a traditional japanese knife at $75 so if you don't mind putting a little extra work in it is a very good buy.

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kobl2wasa16.html: Another more traditional knife, this one is the most expensive of the three but probably the best value. It uses Blue #2 steel which is a really nice steel, it sharpens easily and holds an edge well. This has stainless cladding over the core steel so you don't need to worry as much about corrosion and is a really nice looking knife overall. The fit and finish is good, so you won't really need to do the extra work that the knife above needs, but it's also $100 instead of $75, still well worth the extra $25 for the steel, decent fit and finish and stainless cladding.

Anyway, I hope that helps you out. :)

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kobl2wasa16.html: Another more traditional knife, this one is the most expensive of the three but probably the best value. It uses Blue #2 steel which is a really nice steel, it sharpens easily and holds an edge well. This has stainless cladding over the core steel so you don't need to worry as much about corrosion and is a really nice looking knife overall. The fit and finish is good, so you won't really need to do the extra work that the knife above needs, but it's also $100 instead of $75, still well worth the extra $25 for the steel, decent fit and finish and stainless cladding.

Anyway, I hope that helps you out. :)

Man, now that is a really good suggestion (I should have known that somebody would come up with a solid pro pick that would blow my budget). I was aiming to buy a new knife now, but I can wait for a few extra bucks to get this one :buddy:

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Any thoughts on the Yaxell Tsuchimon 8 inch chef's knife? I can get it for $70.

https://www.amazon.com/Yaxell-Tsuchimon-Chef-Knife-8-inch/dp/B00CBG0NNA/

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Taima posted:

Never heard of them. Looks like a fairly standard mass produced VG-10 knife with some bling.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Yeah, me either. Already decided against it. I think I'm going to get a carbon steel situation going and do a bunch more research.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Taima posted:

Yeah, me either. Already decided against it. I think I'm going to get a carbon steel situation going and do a bunch more research.

Mind you, there is nothing wrong with stainless steel, there are plenty of very good stainless knife steels, the main disadvantage of stainless is that it tends to cost a bit more and that it tends to either be harder to sharpen or not hold an edge as well as carbon steels, for instance Ginsanko is a stainless I like a lot, it takes a very fine edge and sharpens easily, but it does not hold that edge for a long time. One the other end of the scale you have stuff like ZDP189, very difficult to sharpen and somewhat difficult to get a really nice edge with but it will hold that edge for a long time. There are also semi-stainless steels like HAP40, which is a real bear to sharpen but holds an edge for an incredible amount of time. In carbon steels you have White steels which are a lot like Ginsanko, sharpens super easy, takes an incredible edge but needs sharpening more often, Blue steels which are still pretty easy to sharpen but hold the edge for longer and Super Blue which holds an edge for a long time, sharpens decently fast and can take a really great edge.

Setting aside steels, the maker matters a lot, but since there are many small makers out there it can be hard to find something that really suits you, you have to surf knife forums and find people with actual experience with various makers to really know. I can say that Konosuke, Shiro Kamo and Masakage all make really nice stuff.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Awesome, thanks for the heads up!

Regarding sharpening, I have a Chefs Choice Trizor VX that as far as I know is pretty much the gold standard in 15 degree electric sharpeners.

Will this sharpener work ok with "harder to sharpen" knives? Or does that mean that you would want a high-end manual setup?

Ultimately I have no easy way of understanding what "hard to sharpen" actually means in practice.

e: Holy crap I am just lost browsing the ChefKnivesToGo site, all of this poo poo is wonderful. How would one even begin figure out what you want...

I'm actually going to Tokyo in a couple months as well so if the True Otaku Way is to buy a knife in Japan (and it would result in a better blade and/or a better deal) I guess that's a thing that can happen. Just gonna be cruising through for a few days after a wedding in Taiwan though, so I wouldn't be able to stray much from Tokyo.

Taima fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Aug 8, 2017

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Taima posted:

Regarding sharpening, I have a Chefs Choice Trizor VX that as far as I know is pretty much the gold standard in 15 degree electric sharpeners.

Will this sharpener work ok with "harder to sharpen" knives? Or does that mean that you would want a high-end manual setup?

Ultimately I have no easy way of understanding what "hard to sharpen" actually means in practice.

e: Holy crap I am just lost browsing the ChefKnivesToGo site, all of this poo poo is wonderful. How would one even begin figure out what you want...

I'm actually going to Tokyo in a couple months as well so if the True Otaku Way is to buy a knife in Japan (and it would result in a better blade and/or a better deal) I guess that's a thing that can happen. Just gonna be cruising through for a few days after a wedding in Taiwan though, so I wouldn't be able to stray much from Tokyo.

Don't use electric sharpeners, they give you a very rough edge and that means that the knife will dull very quickly, they also remove far more metal than needed, wearing out the knife far more quickly than manual sharpening would. As far as what I mean by "hard to sharpen" it means two things, some knives are hard to sharpen in one way, some in the other way and some in both ways. First: how long the knife takes to sharpen, harder, more wear resistant steel means that it simply takes longer to remake the edge. The second is simply how difficult it is to get a really sharp edge and that depends on the carbide size and structure for the steel. Using the steels I mentioned in my last post: stuff like ZDP189 or HAP40 are hard to sharpen in both senses because they are both very wear resistant and very rich in carbides. For the carbon steels, those are all easy to get a sharp edge on, but white steel dulls very quickly, blue a good bit more slowly and super blue even more slowly than that. Ginsanko sharpens quickly and takes a very nice edge because it's not a carbide heavy steel, but that also means that it dulls fairly quickly, somewhere between white and blue steel.

As far as what to get for sharpening, you could get a splash-and-go waterstone, like this one, that will give you a good edge and do so fairly quickly, some people go for a big set of stones but that is mostly unnecessary, a low grit stone is good if you need to repair a knife but you need a lot of experience to do that without screwing it up. Really high grit stones can get you a very smooth edge that will last a long time but most people prefer an edge with a little bite, and for that you don't want to go super smooth, 1k grit is a good place to start. Sharpening knives manually takes practice and you will want to try it with a cheap knife to get the hang of it. Another option is a guided system like the Edge Pro, these are easier to use but they take more setup time and the good ones tend to be expensive(see here). There are cheap knockoff versions on Amazon, but they are very flimsy and badly made, they work, but they can be a real pain to use. Regardless of what you decide to get you will need to learn about sharpening, what angles to use, building a burr & deburring afterwards, it takes time and practice.

Scott808
Jul 11, 2001
There's a guy on a different forum who had a Kohetsu HAP40 who bought it because the CKTG forum said it was pretty much the best thing ever and he said it turned out to be the worst knife he ever bought, it cut like crap and had several issues and CKTG wasn't interested in any after sales support.

Never used it myself, so I have no opinion either way on the knife.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Taima posted:

Check out Tower Knives near Tokyo Tower. I just bought two knives at their Osaka location. You can see my post just a little bit back. They were super helpful and let me test out knives on veggies.

Sir Spaniard
Nov 9, 2009

Taima posted:

Had a less fancy Yaxell than that (similar but with a black handle and without the hammered look - though it had what I think was a fake folded look to it).

Was a good knife for a few years, but eventually (about 6 years after getting it) it was peeling away from it's edge, like it was folded once, and the edge itself was the point where the fold met. You'd think it'd be the other way. Was very difficult to get it to hold sharpness after that.

E: Found this, guess it was actually folded, and I'd hit the 'core' of the knife. No idea what the Japanese says.
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41n2DXLUS%2BL.jpg

Sir Spaniard fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Aug 8, 2017

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Scott808 posted:

There's a guy on a different forum who had a Kohetsu HAP40 who bought it because the CKTG forum said it was pretty much the best thing ever and he said it turned out to be the worst knife he ever bought, it cut like crap and had several issues and CKTG wasn't interested in any after sales support.

Never used it myself, so I have no opinion either way on the knife.

I'd take that with a grain of salt, there is a lot of history involving the CKTG forum, a certain other forum and another vendor which has lead to a lot of false stories, grudges and other nastiness. No idea if what you saw has anything to do with all that but it's worth knowing that there is a lot of false information floating around out there.

Sir Spaniard posted:

Had a less fancy Yaxell than that (similar but with a black handle and without the hammered look - though it had what I think was a fake folded look to it).

Was a good knife for a few years, but eventually (about 6 years after getting it) it was peeling away from it's edge, like it was folded once, and the edge itself was the point where the fold met. You'd think it'd be the other way. Was very difficult to get it to hold sharpness after that.

E: Found this, guess it was actually folded, and I'd hit the 'core' of the knife. No idea what the Japanese says.
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41n2DXLUS%2BL.jpg

Yeah, that is metal delamination, a sign of poor quality & workmanship. The core steel on the knife is VG-10, the cladding is a soft damascus steel, when properly forged the cladding and core steel should never separate, but it sounds like they never properly cleaned the steels before forging them together and/or that they did not use a high enough temperature when doing so to properly bond them together. Basically they were pumping out knives as fast as possible without really caring about what corners had to be cut to do so.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

rockcity posted:

Check out Tower Knives near Tokyo Tower. I just bought two knives at their Osaka location. You can see my post just a little bit back. They were super helpful and let me test out knives on veggies.

It's legal to test knives on your wife in Japan?

Scott808
Jul 11, 2001

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I'd take that with a grain of salt, there is a lot of history involving the CKTG forum, a certain other forum and another vendor which has lead to a lot of false stories, grudges and other nastiness. No idea if what you saw has anything to do with all that but it's worth knowing that there is a lot of false information floating around out there.

I'm aware of the history, but from a customer point of view that doesn't really matter so much to me. It was several years ago, but I've purchased some sharpening stuff from CKTG and my transaction went fine.

But this guy mentioned he was a member of the CKTG forums first which is how me ended up making the decision to buy the knife, and he found another forum afterwards as a result of the disappointment with the knife. I would say take almost everything with a grain of salt, most of us are just faceless strangers on the internet to each other, but just because it's not on the CKTG forums doesn't mean it's not valid. I've seen some other stories from guys that have bought some fairly high dollar stuff from CKTG that had problems too and I don't think *all* of it can be chalked up to old forums drama. That isn't to say that I haven't seen that happen (feels like it hasn't happened in a while, though); there's certainly been some anti CKTG stuff fueled by bad blood that still lingers from all those years ago. I can't say for sure, but this guys complaints about the Kohetsu don''t have that feeling to it.

For myself, I wouldn't flat out disregard CKTG as a vendor, but, and I've said this before in this thread, they've done some stuff that I find distasteful enough (unrelated to the old forums drama) to prefer doing business with other vendors if given a choice.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Scott808 posted:

I'm aware of the history, but from a customer point of view that doesn't really matter so much to me. It was several years ago, but I've purchased some sharpening stuff from CKTG and my transaction went fine.

But this guy mentioned he was a member of the CKTG forums first which is how me ended up making the decision to buy the knife, and he found another forum afterwards as a result of the disappointment with the knife. I would say take almost everything with a grain of salt, most of us are just faceless strangers on the internet to each other, but just because it's not on the CKTG forums doesn't mean it's not valid. I've seen some other stories from guys that have bought some fairly high dollar stuff from CKTG that had problems too and I don't think *all* of it can be chalked up to old forums drama. That isn't to say that I haven't seen that happen (feels like it hasn't happened in a while, though); there's certainly been some anti CKTG stuff fueled by bad blood that still lingers from all those years ago. I can't say for sure, but this guys complaints about the Kohetsu don''t have that feeling to it.

For myself, I wouldn't flat out disregard CKTG as a vendor, but, and I've said this before in this thread, they've done some stuff that I find distasteful enough (unrelated to the old forums drama) to prefer doing business with other vendors if given a choice.

That's fine, it's just that some of that internet drama has extended beyond the internet to hurt other people and companies and a lot of it is straight lies, stuff like Konosuke being fake chinese knives because they are sold by CKTG. Neither side can really be trusted but I have had good experiences with CKTG and that is more important to me than stuff I can't confirm either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

I've bought 2 knives from CKTG and they're both good. That's hard data.

• Locked thread