Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Does anyone voice a dwarf character without either their ordinary voice and speaking habits or Scottish WoW nonsense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

AlphaDog posted:

What about an ancillary, or dependent action?
Let's not quibble over minor phrasing details.

Loutre
Jan 14, 2004

✓COMFY
✓CLASSY
✓HORNY
✓PEPSI

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Does anyone voice a dwarf character without either their ordinary voice and speaking habits or Scottish WoW nonsense

I voiced my last dwarf character as Macho Man Randy Savage. OH YEAH!

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

gradenko_2000 posted:

I mean, that's what early 3e, and 3.0 Core was even just Half-Actions and Actions because it was still inheriting stuff from AD&D, but I think they had to invent the Swift action eventually because they couldn't keep assigning effects as riders or as "Free Action, but only usable once per".

Like, how would you structure Healing Word without Bonus Actions?

remind me what healing word is?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
It's a minor Heal spell cast as a bonus action http://engl393-dnd5th.wikia.com/wiki/Healing_Word

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I thought everyone was on the same page that Dwarves are Italian now, not Scottish.

mango sentinel fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Jul 12, 2017

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Healing Word also serves the very important purpose of picking up characters that are at 0HP at a distance with only a bonus action, making it one of the few heals worth using in combat starting at level 1 and continuing all the way through a campaign.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I'm only just learning about Healing Word now and that's a really cool way of letting clerics heal in combat while still doing other stuff. Also finding out now lets me anticipate my players asking me the difference between healing word and cure wounds.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

gradenko_2000 posted:

burn it all down and salt the earth. Only way to be sure.

Ha, I actually suggested that too instead of surrendering the city. I already burned down a monastery to cover our escape out a secret passage.

My character is from a family of wizards known for dirty tricks and by god I'm trying to live up to it

And since when are dwarves Italian? I can see German but not Italian.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Dwarves should be Scandinavian.

The DPRK
Nov 18, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Thanks all for helping me understand how to be a good beginner.

I've put together your useful comments along with some other resources in this Google Doc in case you want to share it/feature it in the first post.

https://docs.google.com/a/goldladder.co.uk/document/d/1rLxmpy_X6Kg9C28MXXHkpctSd2ROftN_I_QeD_Kou3k/edit?usp=sharing

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

Dwarves should be Scandinavian.

nah those are drow

between drow, dwarves and gnomes there's one too many races for the easy stereotyped comparisons

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
Dwarves are New England cosplay enthusiasts.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

just lol if ur dwarfs aren't québécoise

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
Accents, sense of superiority, hair, gold-based economy.

Checks out, though you'd think they'd be better at fixing potholes.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

mastershakeman posted:

And since when are dwarves Italian? I can see German but not Italian.

Cheese Dudes know

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!
If your barbarians aren't doing Wisconsin accents, you have no place at my table.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

At our table it ended up that an entire region of the main Empire uses valleyspeak. My character (and most tieflings) is from there which I admit takes away from the gravitas a bit.

The adjacent region meanwhile is deep American southern. :shepface:

Reene fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jul 12, 2017

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I did a one-shot homebrew with a DM that did a German accent for the dwarves, made them come off vaguely sinister actually.

And the elves, who were evil, were Japanese. It was the orcs that were Scottish.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

I'm only just learning about Healing Word now and that's a really cool way of letting clerics heal in combat while still doing other stuff. Also finding out now lets me anticipate my players asking me the difference between healing word and cure wounds.

That's because it's one of the few things lifted from 4E. Honestly, healing isn't that powerful in 5E that it'd break the game to make basically all heals bonus actions, but it's been the thing to make clerics choose between healing (usually a trap) or contributing for a while.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I was inspired by their beards and just came back from Portland so in one game I ran all the dwarves were just Portland hipsters. That was a good game.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

EDIT: IM DUMB

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jul 12, 2017

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Show them how Cure Wounds is kind of garbage compared to Healing Word and the only real upside to it is that it scales better at higher levels. An upcasted Healing Word is pretty much a waste of better spell slots unless you think it's going to get that character past some important damage threshold.

An early-game use of Healing Word is going to restore 5.5 health on average (assuming the caster has +3 spellcasting mod.) An early-game cast of Cure Wounds will do 4.5. It's just straight up inferior in the early game.

You add spellcasting modifier to Cure Wounds also. It's a better spell out of combat

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Not really WoW nonsense or just dwarves, I've had to put up with players doing awful Scottish accents as their role playing voice for over 20 years now.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

esquilax posted:

You add spellcasting modifier to Cure Wounds also. It's a better spell out of combat

You ever actually know the thing you're saying and your brain just decides to take another direction? Because that happened to me.

This is like the time I thought Spiritual Weapon had concentration despite knowing that the whole appeal of it was that it didn't.

Mr. Tambo
Feb 7, 2015
The last dwarf I played had a Russian accent. He ended up with three bear companions (though one was ghost bear and another had bird for head).

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

My first exposure to fantasy was when I read The Hobbit (and then LoTR) as a kid in the 80s. I have no idea why, but those books made me picture dwarves as being kinda Baltic-ish. Like, north/east European.

Where did the scottish dwarves thing even come from? I remember it being a thing in the 90s before the LoTR movies. Maybe Warcraft 1 or 2? Before that?

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Dwarves in my games have always had a lazy Australian/South New Zealand accent. Lots of "Aww bro" like phrases. Watch the beached as whale video to get a perfect idea of it

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
drow should sound like afrikaaners since that's the most villainous sounding accent

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

I thought it was Alan Rickman's British accent

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCN2BkQaD3Y
Earlier than 95 gently caress if I know. I feel like dwarves and trolls and such are all norwegian folklore but nobody wants to guess what that sounds like while scottish is easy to imagine. I honestly think it's people not wanting to swedish chef up their imaginations.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

The dwarves of Scandinavian folklore are also a bit different than the modern concept of half-pint axebeards. A lot of it seems to overlap but I think they weren't meaningfully different from the svartalfar, the dark elves. Tolkien was responsible for how we think of them now but I'm not sure when they first branched away from malevolent creatures in folklore. I assume at least before the 1800s since the written stories of Snow White say the dwarves are miners and not weird evil tricksters.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Dwarves make amazing things which are incredibly sturdy and work really well. This must be because of some kind of built-in dwarfish magic though, because even when they provide you with all the components and a set of step by step instructions for assembling it, you end up with something that wobbles and falls apart and never quite looks right.

They're definitely Swedish, is what I'm saying.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
A friend who moved to the US from Russia later in life played a great dwarf so now I sort of hear all dwarves with his accent.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Splicer posted:

Let's not quibble over minor phrasing details.
Start measuring things in fractions of a turn.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Start measuring things in fractions of a turn.

Rolemaster did nothing wrong

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

gradenko_2000 posted:

Like, how would you structure Healing Word without Bonus Actions?

Ask Mearlsyour DM™

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Has there been a TTRPG with an action point system similar to the original XCOM?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

AlphaDog posted:

Has there been a TTRPG with an action point system similar to the original XCOM?

I was being somewhat facetious, but Rolemaster actually really does allow you to "consume" your turn on a percentage basis, and you get effects like the accuracy of your attack getting reduced as a proportion of how much action you have left to spend on it when you actually make it.

The alternative is any number of 90s-era RPGs where the Dexterity stat governs the number of actions you can take in combat, but not only is that bad in terms of breaking the action economy in general, it also only faintly resembles XCOM's Time Units system because shooting actions were based on a percentage of max TU.

It was movement that had a flat cost, so while a high-TU soldier could move farther and still be able to shoot, the number of shots any individual soldier could take was, in general, equal across the board.

Actually, thinking about that more now that I've written it out, XCOM's TU system is really more traditional than it seems, since the only gains you get with more TUs is movement, and that can be represented outside of TUs (by having your "movement action" cover more ground). That's probably why it was streamlined to the form it was in 2012's XCOM.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
I'm going to start DMing Storm King's Thunder with my group. I haven't DM'd for 5e yet so I was wondering what most people do for Ability Point allocation. I don't really like the idea of rolling unless all my players really wanted it. What do people think of the default point buy system?

And on that note, does anyone know of any youtube/twitch plays of Storm King's Thunder? I'm looking for some inspiration on how I should be playing some of the NPCs in the book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

DarkAvenger211 posted:

I'm going to start DMing Storm King's Thunder with my group. I haven't DM'd for 5e yet so I was wondering what most people do for Ability Point allocation. I don't really like the idea of rolling unless all my players really wanted it. What do people think of the default point buy system?

And on that note, does anyone know of any youtube/twitch plays of Storm King's Thunder? I'm looking for some inspiration on how I should be playing some of the NPCs in the book.

Point buy is good, don't roll for stats.