Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forge
Feb 26, 2006

Tormented posted:

What's funny is I was going to buy a founder's pack but seeing they are down now might just wait to see if this game is good before throwing money at it.

What is the goony census on people just finding out about this game today?

If you own at least 3 lifetime ships in Star Citizen, then you should probably buy in. If you are eating ramen, then probably not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FormerFatty
Jul 18, 2006

Tormented posted:

What's funny is I was going to buy a founder's pack but seeing they are down now might just wait to see if this game is good before throwing money at it.

What is the goony census on people just finding out about this game today?

I just found out about 2.5 weeks ago and became so incredibly hooked on the game that I basically only sleep 3hrs a night and have my central nervous system as a result #adderalXR20mg

If you like PVP, helping out a guild with crafting/PVE, politics, getting rich in an economy etc this game will be fun for you... to me it seems like EVE: Game of Thrones Edition

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

How screwed am I if I can't take the Monday off? My buddy missed the first day of Archeage and he never got a good housing plot. Is lots of stuff first come first serve?

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
I want something good to die for...to make it beautiful to live

fadam posted:

How screwed am I if I can't take the Monday off? My buddy missed the first day of Archeage and he never got a good housing plot. Is lots of stuff first come first serve?

depends how much you're gonna play. you're supposed to be able to take anything from anyone else, basically. helps to own it first though.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

How liable is this to come out on Steam soon? I have a bunch of steambux kicking around from selling cards and whatnot.

forge
Feb 26, 2006
Zero percent chance on steam.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
yeah valve doesn't like scams

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.

fadam posted:

Not screwed at all. Maybe you'll be some % behind for a week or two of other people of your average play hours/day. Personal islands and guild islands are instanced and infinite. City shops are not, but they won't make/break you to own or not, and there's bidding wars to buy them every month unless they changed that.

I dunno if guild territories are still awesome or if they're just kind of nice to have trophies now, but that's more of a group thing than you not getting in day -2 either way.

forge
Feb 26, 2006

1001 Arabian dicks posted:

while i laughed, i'm rather sure 90% of steam games are cash grabs never to be completed in forever early access.

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer

Yeah I totally know what you me...

http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-early-access-games-that-completely-screwed-customers/
https://www.theverge.com/gaming/2014/5/7/5692252/developers-abandon-unfinished-steam-game-after-selling-200000-copies
https://www.kotaku.com.au/2014/05/unfinished-steam-game-abandoned-after-thousands-bought-it/
http://steamed.kotaku.com/steam-users-form-scam-report-to-watch-for-shady-busines-1735686592
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2848777/buyer-beware-3-out-of-4-steam-early-access-games-havent-been-finished.html

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer

Kylra posted:

Not screwed at all. Maybe you'll be some % behind for a week or two of other people of your average play hours/day. Personal islands and guild islands are instanced and infinite. City shops are not, but they won't make/break you to own or not, and there's bidding wars to buy them every month unless they changed that.

I dunno if guild territories are still awesome or if they're just kind of nice to have trophies now, but that's more of a group thing than you not getting in day -2 either way.

Mostly e-peen. If you want resources you just park a fat zerg on top of someone else's territory and take em.

Baby T. Love
Aug 5, 2009
Hello I'm Nilsa on discord. Auth me!

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer

Baby T. Love posted:

Hello I'm Nilsa on discord. Auth me!

Done, check out #welcome and the other channels, like #announcements_from_assholes

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Kylra posted:

Cool, this makes me feel a lot less bummed out, thanks.

FormerFatty
Jul 18, 2006

fadam posted:

Cool, this makes me feel a lot less bummed out, thanks.

Honestly -- this game is pretty casual friendly and the devs seemed to have realize that catering to unemployed pissbottlers may not have been the wisest business strategy. You can play 1-2 hours a night, 3x a week, and be PKing and contributing in a group on your first weekend in game.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

I'd play this - but seriously?

You guys setup a discord - and then use Mumble for voice. What is wrong with you.....

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
bumping thread because glutt said to

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

FileNotFound posted:

I'd play this - but seriously?

You guys setup a discord - and then use Mumble for voice. What is wrong with you.....

We've always used mumble! We used to use mumble and slack in early betas before discord was a thing.

futile
May 18, 2009
So the test server is up. Why do the t3 tree monsters sound like motorcycles?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

futile posted:

So the test server is up. Why do the t3 tree monsters sound like motorcycles?

Why don't you sound like a motorcycles?

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

pixaal posted:

We've always used mumble! We used to use mumble and slack in early betas before discord was a thing.

Yeah.
Discord is a thing now.

You have one. Get with the times and use the drat thing. Every goon with any sense has moved to Discord.

Use it. There is zero reason to force people into a worse voip app - and worse yet you have Discord AND Mumble. It's ridiculous...

There is literally no reason to use Mumble. Discord is better in every way - and I can use it from my phone, and at work on my PC via a browser - and I can even just get on voice from discord in the loving car on my way home.

But no.

You'll use Mumble.

Because you always used mumble.

Baby T. Love
Aug 5, 2009

FileNotFound posted:

You'll use Mumble.

I use discord whenever I can but my friends that insist on mumble do so because discord doesn't have key suppression despite it being a feature that's been requested for over a year.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've been using discord for the last 6 months or so with my small group of friends and it has been pretty ok, seen it run pretty nice at scale with a billion people on some public servers... Can't speak to securing it too much but it seems fairly easy to setup right however you want to integrate it with external hooks and junk as needed.

Also I donno how you'd do things like have 5 groups and then one group of leaders and have them broadcasting out to the sub-groups or only speaking on command chat type of thing, like we did in eve and planetside... Not sure if that's a thing in this game.

soy fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jul 12, 2017

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE

FileNotFound posted:

You'll use Mumble.

otoh mumble doesn't go down for hours at a time a week

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

otoh mumble doesn't go down for hours at a time a week

Does Discord? I've been using it very consistently for over a year now and I've had almost no issues.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

fadam posted:

Does Discord? I've been using it very consistently for over a year now and I've had almost no issues.

They just had an outage 3 days ago and another on june 22 if that's worth anything.

vrath
Jul 6, 2015

Buy 1 get 1 bottle of Lysol FREE!
I mean... you could totally use discord to talk to people you want to, there's no rule that you can't, I mean the rule is just that the official voip is on mumble. I'll probably be in a discord voice channel as well sometimes.

Ghetto Wizard
Aug 11, 2007

vrath posted:

When do we get our initial orders/whatnot?

Good question. Is there a structure yet as to who becomes the designated crafter to dump mats on and other roles?

edit: I'm dumb and I should've probably read discord first :effort:

Ghetto Wizard fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jul 13, 2017

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

i'm designated guild bank fund carrier

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
im the designated rock collector and spy for red army

vrath
Jul 6, 2015

Buy 1 get 1 bottle of Lysol FREE!

Ghetto Wizard posted:

Good question. Is there a structure yet as to who becomes the designated crafter to dump mats on and other roles?

edit: I'm dumb and I should've probably read discord first :effort:

If you're dumb, then I'm clinically braindead cause I didn't even realize that announcements channel existed.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I love discord and I've never really loved mumble or teamspeak or vent or.. Mumble has some near overlays though, so there's that.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Where do we post our ICQ#?

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

jabro posted:

Sad thing is....I still remember mine.

Is game good or bad? Old thread says super bad....

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

FileNotFound posted:

Sad thing is....I still remember mine.

I feel like I SHOULD remember mine.. I mean I only played UO for 5 years and gave that to everyone.

Yet for some reason I can remember my employee ID for that time and my Grocery store club #....

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

jabro posted:

want to buy a tower?

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010
honestly starting late has little impact unless you are trying to amass money in the early game economy. Prices are inflated like crazy for a week or two on low level poo poo and then bottom out. So if you are casual the market corrects to help you.

FormerFatty
Jul 18, 2006

FileNotFound posted:

Yeah.
Discord is a thing now.

You have one. Get with the times and use the drat thing. Every goon with any sense has moved to Discord.

Use it. There is zero reason to force people into a worse voip app - and worse yet you have Discord AND Mumble. It's ridiculous...

There is literally no reason to use Mumble. Discord is better in every way - and I can use it from my phone, and at work on my PC via a browser - and I can even just get on voice from discord in the loving car on my way home.

But no.

You'll use Mumble.

Mumble has 3 advantages over discord voip:

1. It has better security for tracking spies and turning your IPs over to the russians
2. It allows for cross channel comms(whisper/shouts) during large PVP ops -- if youre using discord, you will have an alliance of 100 people in 1 channel, in mumble we will have 5 channels with 20 people each and callers communicating with eachother cross channel.
3. Its still newer technology than Roger Wilco

We still use discord like its 1998 and we're on IRC.... UO men are stuck in the past.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Lol. SPAIS!!!

Oh no a spai stole my fishing boat. SEVER ALLIANCE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer