Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
Before this years playoffs, I wouldn't hesitate to say Durant, but Kawhi was amazing, really solidified his improvement on offense. I thought his regular season stats were just Spurs noise, but he can score now on any defense at will, just like durant, but Kawhi is stronger, and better at defense, so its kawhi now. And hes younger​.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Metapod posted:

Head to head is very bad way to compare players but if you insist http://www.basketball-reference.com...a01&idx=players

Durant only 1 time scored less than 20 vs kawhi and out plays him nearly every time

Don't worry I seen the head to head match-up stats. S'why I said "is better", not "was already better than Durant at age 21." I might not've even said it last year. But it's true now.

Hah I like how they've had more playoff games than regular season games. It's a very good head-to-head, I hope it happens again for several seasons.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

kawhi's better

the top three players in the league as of last season were lebron, then kawhi, then durant

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jul 12, 2017

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
And of course KD scored a ton more and much more easily when he was on OKC and he had the best PG in the league setting him up with easy shots. (this argument is only for Metapod and doesn't apply in other discussions)

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

AggressivelyStupid posted:

I imagine Kevin likes being called a bitch when he's paying someone to fart in face though so :shrug:

this is fair

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Here's a Pop hollerin' at Kawhi moment from last season:
"Look at the play! He's wide rear end open! Throw the drat ball!"
(Kawhi apparently asks some form of "who?")
(Pop yells "Stop!" ? or "God!" ? not sure which)
(Popovich Pointing at Bertans Davis) "The white guy!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hS6IAqNQPg

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

EvanTH posted:

And of course KD scored a ton more and much more easily when he was on OKC and he had the best PG in the league setting him up with easy shots. (this argument is only for Metapod and doesn't apply in other discussions)

KAWHI HAS THE GREATEST COACH OF ALL TIME DRAWING THE PLAYS. That's a big loving deal. Neither of those things should matter when discussing a players talent. Durant is the 2nd greatest wing of all time and as great as kawhi is on the court he will never ever reach the peak that Durant is at right now

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Lakers signed KCP to a 1/18M deal

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/884995401727836161

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Preseason poll results are done.

The questions (and what percentage answered correctly):

Which team finishes with the best record? 88.7% Warriors
Which team finishes with the worst record? 44.8% Nets
Which team will have the largest win swing this season? 14.9% 76ers
Which team will have the largest loss swing this season? 0% Hornets
Name the rookie WS and/or PER leader: 0% Malcolm Brogdon
Name the overall WS and/or PER leader: 31.7% James Harden or Russell Westbrook
LeBron James will play in the 2017 NBA finals (seven consecutive seasons): 91.5% Agree
Stephen Curry will win the 2017 Kia MVP award: 93.4% Disagree
Joel Embiid will log at least 1,500 minutes this season: 35.5% Disagree
The Warriors will win 70 or more games this season: 80.3% Disagree
Select the eight Eastern Conference playoff teams: 72.7%
Select the eight Western Conference playoff teams: 82.9%
Select the ECF loser: 60.7% Celtics
Select the WCF loser: 28.9% Spurs
Select the Finals loser: 62.6% Cavaliers
Select the Finals winner: 53.2% Warriors

For the first time we have an outright winner:

code:
SA user name				Points (30 max)
Stagger_Lee				25
Redgrendel2001				24
ZephYr_					23
Manstrocity				23
runaway pancake				23
Joshtothemaxx				22
Jack's Flow				22
PurpleJesus				22
OzFactor				22
fuckplaneoq				22
Declan MacManus				22
Anonymous User #1			22
RedApe98				22
Strawberry Panda			22
Arctic Puma				22
xbilkis					21
Spite					21
Please Eat A Vegetable			21
Strenuous Manflurry			21
DeliciousMonster			21
JackBandit				21
Fast Luck				21
suck a dick no homo			21
Styliferous				21
Pungry					21
Rick.					21
Shear Modulus				21
Props Department			21
Blind Pineapple				21
Lockback				21
Good Work You Get An HIV		20
Dexo					20
Icy Penguigo				20
Sandeep					20
Time					20
DeimosRising				20
Smellyhead				20
MalarkeyToboggan			20
Sharparoni				20
RCarr					20
tehchekt				20
LupusAter				20
cowandchick				20
RaySmuckles				20
Count_Mippipopolous			20
IcePhoenix				20
spacebump				20
The B_36				20
Zogo					20
pizza valentine				19
JCW					19
leftist heap				19
JRizzle					19
Algund Eenboom				19
evil_cheese				19
stevie  lee				19
Dejan Bimble				19
EdRush					19
MayakovskyMarmite			19
Lewis Skolnick				19
Atheistdeals.com			19
Canopus250				19
Henchman of Santa			19
anakha					19
Quizzlefish				19
straight up brolic			19
the glumslinger				19
Coaaab					19
cool buff man				19
Spring Break My Heart			19
PantsFreeZone				19
Paul Zuvella				19
Halfling Wizard Bear			19
tanglewood1420				19
R.D. Mangles				19
tumor looking batty			18
rare magic card l00k			18
JesusSinfulHands			18
Oh word son 				18
lowtax					18
EvanTH					18
Please Stop Posting			18
Bush Did Outer Heaven			18
Tokyo Sex Whale				18
NeuroticErotica				18
landobee				18
Vanilla Mint Ice			18
HOTLANTA MAN				18
chunkles				18
Metapod					18
Brolander				18
Femur					17
TheShazbot				17
AggressivelyStupid			17
ButtWolf				17
ChickenMedium				17
Kibner					17
Lowlyabjectturd 			16
brogeoisie				16
E_P					16
Punkin Spunkin 				16
TheKevman				15
BallisticClipboard			15
ABagorn					15
Anonymous User #2			14
attackmole				14
Athanatos				14
Again we had another year where nobody correctly guessed the eight EC teams. Eleven voters did get the correct eight in the WC.

Zogo fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jul 12, 2017

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

He needs to get Evan Turner's agent.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

:vince:

No way.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Pistons suck Stan's a dumb rear end

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Man I was hoping Johnson striking out with everyone and panicking and paying Rondo 18/1 was what was going to happen because that is exactly what would have happened if KCP wouldn't have become a free agent and actually one of the few players who was better off signing a short term deal anyway. Now all the WELLL YOU SHOULD'VE JUST SIGNED [PLAYER] TO A ONE YEAR DEAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! idiots have life for years.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
why was KCP better off signing for 1 year? Isn't next years FA even better?

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

EvanTH posted:

Hey if Bashez is out there, can you solve a dispute between Metapod and me?

Is Kawhi Leonard better than Kevin Durant? I say yes. Metapod seems not to understand the question otherwise he'd agree, yes.

It's pretty much a wash. Durant is a better passer but Kawhi is a better defender. I think the people that say Durant is a straight up better offensive player are pretty much wrong at this point, outside the aforementioned passing. The Spurs are a dysfunctional offense when Kawhi sits. Kawhi's three years younger, he'll be better when he's 28.

Metapod posted:

Head to head is very bad way to compare players but if you insist http://www.basketball-reference.com...a01&idx=players

Durant only 1 time scored less than 20 vs kawhi and out plays him nearly every time

If you just look at the last couple years though....

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
Yay I'm #15!

TheKevman
Dec 13, 2003
I thought Mad Max: Fury Road was
:mediocre:
so you should probably ignore anything else I say

Ghost Dog posted:

top 3 bitch too

Mount Bitchmore ready go

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

TheKevman posted:

Mount Bitchmore ready go

its kevin durants head and 3 fart clouds converging on him

TheKevman
Dec 13, 2003

Ghost Dog posted:

its kevin durants head and 3 fart clouds converging on him

Honorable mention

I like where your head's at in the clouds

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
I just got a spam email from Pinterest with the subject "9 new Pins about Stephen Curry and Egg Rolls"

What

TheKevman
Dec 13, 2003

CP3 up there for sure

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Metapod posted:

KAWHI HAS THE GREATEST COACH OF ALL TIME DRAWING THE PLAYS. That's a big loving deal. Neither of those things should matter when discussing a players talent. Durant is the 2nd greatest wing of all time and as great as kawhi is on the court he will never ever reach the peak that Durant is at right now

How can Durant be the second greatest wing of all time when there are two better wings playing right now :confused: Hah those numbers don't add up.

Seriously tho', craziest thing about Kawhi is he keeps adding new aspects to his game. I wouldn't argue he's better at scoring than KD, but he's shot better from three over the last two seasons (and for his career). Then all of a sudden Kawhi has the nicest turnaround jumper in the league, completely clean late-career-Jordan ISO game. Their playoffs TS%s were .672 and .683 this year. I've never seen a player just keep getting better the way Kawhi does. I don't even know if he has a ceiling anymore.

Bashez posted:

It's pretty much a wash. Durant is a better passer but Kawhi is a better defender. I think the people that say Durant is a straight up better offensive player are pretty much wrong at this point, outside the aforementioned passing. The Spurs are a dysfunctional offense when Kawhi sits. Kawhi's three years younger, he'll be better when he's 28.

Ahh, reasonable and fair as always.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Kawhi is better than Durant I'm sorry if this cold hard truth is alarming to you but think about it for awhile and you'll come to the same conclusion

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Kcp one year means they will probably bring him back if they strike out on lebron et al.

Decent move by the lakers front office .

18 mill is close to starters money to kcp and ron Paul save some face

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I'd say Kawhi and Durant are a wash but if I were a GM I'd rather have Kawhi because he's younger.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Femur posted:

why was KCP better off signing for 1 year? Isn't next years FA even better?

Next year's free agent market has a pretty giant fall off after the first three or four guys, and is pretty old, KCP will be one of the youngest UFAs on the market. 15+ teams next season are going to have significant salary space, especially if the cap sees at least a little bump from jersey ads.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

If you don't say DIKEMBE as you launch a completely arc-less hook shot at the trashcan I don't even know what to say

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

So with the Lopez trade, KCP signing, and no incentive to tank, I don't think the Lakers finish bottom 5. I think the lack of tanking incentive alone is worth like 10 wins. Still bottom 10 or so, I could see 35 putrid wins. Anyway, I don't think that Lakers pick is conveying to Boston next year.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
You don't usually get more wins by getting younger and worse at shooting but I do suppose all the veterans won't be sent home in February this year.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

straight up brolic posted:

Kawhi is better than Durant I'm sorry if this cold hard truth is alarming to you but think about it for awhile and you'll come to the same conclusion

I think it's true because I like Kawhi better as a person, but also because we have to look at their efficiency stats in the context of their entire teams

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

euphronius posted:

Kcp one year means they will probably bring him back if they strike out on lebron et al.

Decent move by the lakers front office .

18 mill is close to starters money to kcp and ron Paul save some face

I'm hootin'

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Metapod posted:

as great as kawhi is on the court he will never ever reach the peak that Durant is at right now

I'm sure he eventually will, I doubt he retires before he starts to fall off

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
It's hard for me to take Kawhi over Durant, but Durant's fear of basketball mortality because of his height and foot injuries might support the argument for Kawhi

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

paternity suitor posted:

So with the Lopez trade, KCP signing, and no incentive to tank, I don't think the Lakers finish bottom 5. I think the lack of tanking incentive alone is worth like 10 wins. Still bottom 10 or so, I could see 35 putrid wins. Anyway, I don't think that Lakers pick is conveying to Boston next year.

Ball
KCP
Ingram
Randle
Lopez

Clarkson
Deng
Nance
Zubac

35 wins in the East maybe, but not in the West. More around 25-28 I'd say.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

tanglewood1420 posted:

Ball
KCP
Ingram
Randle
Lopez

Clarkson
Deng
Nance
Zubac

35 wins in the East maybe, but not in the West. More around 25-28 I'd say.

Yeah that is some bad defense and not much shooting at all

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Yeah, unless ingram takes some kind of massive leap forward I don't see the Lakers getting past 25 wins. Their bench outside of Nance and maybe Clarkson if you squint is absolutely putrid and their interior defense will be an absolute joke. Not to mention Lonzo inevitably shooting them out of games.

They are going to be fighting the Suns for worst record in the West. If everything goes right I can see them maybe squeaking out 30 wins? But that's probably good for a bottom 5 team

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/chicagotribune/status/885123526805639168

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

EvanTH posted:

Also lol at these knockoff Cavs jerseys that I strongly suspect is not a real team despite sounding vaguely Greek ahah

Of course it's not a real team.

The best Easter egg though is on 2:12, showing the "neighborhood legend".

The jersey spells SOUVLAKERS, which is a combo of LAKERS and...SOUVLAKI (the most popular fast food in Greece).

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Jul 12, 2017

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
I'm literally shaking reading all the people who think kawhi is better than Durant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

What kind of pastry is Kawhi?

• Locked thread