Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

HoAssHo posted:

It's amazing to look back at how tolerated doxxing was back in the day. Helldump doxxed the poo poo out of people all the time and no one apparently had a problem with people digging through some guy's livejournal and myspace and posting his picture because he made some bad posts in GBS once.

Helldumping was kinda different from modern doxxing because with the exception of a few truly awful pedophiles the idea wasn't to ruin their lives as much as it was to embarrass them and make them go away from the forums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:
Which was good until they ran out of targets and started picking on people for very little.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

There was definitely also doxxing that expanded into real life though. I remember a few threads where goons would share real info on the OP and then others would call the guy's family/work/school. It was usually some creeps though like the guy who tried filming his sister in the shower or the guy that knew who stole an exchange student's money at his school and instead of informing the school/police he blackmailed the thief into giving him a cut. Stuff like that.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

HoAssHo posted:

Which was good until they ran out of targets and started picking on people for very little.

Oh, absolutely. Helldump should've been closed after about a year because by the end it was a tremendous self-destructive circlejerk.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
I don't think Helldump ever went after someone's real life deets beyond just photos and stuff, they pretty much focused only on the internet profile of whoever had attracted their attention. That's kinda more lite doxxing. Dixxing?

Also one of the main reasons old GBS sucked wasn't any SJW/whatever-the-opposite-of-SJW-is-called-this-week slant, but because you couldn't call lovely things poo poo. That's why we ended up with Hellbastard's unfunny rape joke jamboree sticking around for however goddamn long that was around.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I just didn't like the same 2 dozen megathreads clogging up the first page when I didn't care about any of them. Now its just gurf youtube links and probaably not even ironic anymore alt right shitposts.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

it was funny when GBS had the SCP megathread and you got probated for asking why one of the most popular pages is an elaborate child gang rape fantasy/justification, and then when the great chillout came around everyone dogpiled the thread into obscurity

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

it was funny when GBS had the SCP megathread and you got probated for asking why one of the most popular pages is an elaborate child gang rape fantasy/justification, and then when the great chillout came around everyone dogpiled the thread into obscurity

Wait is that real :yikes: I don't really follow SCP stuff since most of it's poo poo, but I at least thought it was poo poo in a harmless way

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Paladinus posted:

I am sure many people got educated about feminism on forums dot something is awful dot com.

I will probably be soundly mocked for admitting this, but I really did learn a lot about feminism here. Growing up, I thought feminism was the scary staw-woman portrayed on Married With Children and other garbage shows. Oh, I always thought women should have equal rights as well, after all, we're all human, and humans should have human rights. It wasn't until I met some people here that taught me about the horrible things women and minorities have to suffer every day.

When I was a stupid kid -- and when I was a young adult -- I thought it was perfectly kosher to say, "Hell yeah, that human being got RAPED!" when describing, say, a particularly one-sided victory in a video game. I didn't stop to realize that I would be reinforcing the broken worldview of a homophobe or a racist.

Am I an SJW? Sure, I guess that fits, but it's better than being a bigoted rear end in a top hat with no regard for his fellow humans or his impact on society as a whole.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Screaming Idiot posted:

I will probably be soundly mocked for admitting this, but I really did learn a lot about feminism here. Growing up, I thought feminism was the scary staw-woman portrayed on Married With Children and other garbage shows. Oh, I always thought women should have equal rights as well, after all, we're all human, and humans should have human rights. It wasn't until I met some people here that taught me about the horrible things women and minorities have to suffer every day.

When I was a stupid kid -- and when I was a young adult -- I thought it was perfectly kosher to say, "Hell yeah, that human being got RAPED!" when describing, say, a particularly one-sided victory in a video game. I didn't stop to realize that I would be reinforcing the broken worldview of a homophobe or a racist.

Am I an SJW? Sure, I guess that fits, but it's better than being a bigoted rear end in a top hat with no regard for his fellow humans or his impact on society as a whole.
But what you didn't realize is that by not saying those things, you were being cucked by transgender Muslims. Luckily, there are now four or five extremely loud idiots fighting back.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
I swear that word is the dumbest goddamn thing.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

But what you didn't realize is that by not saying those things, you were being cucked by transgender Muslims. Luckily, there are now four or five extremely loud idiots fighting back.

At least three of which are PCOS Bill alts.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I legitimately don't understand how anybody could think No Ma'am (National Organisation of Men Against Amazonian Masterhood) wasn't satire.

Let alone people who think Married With Children was a garbage show.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
There is nothing wrong with the word "cuck." It's shorthand for "nothing I say is ever of value and I have the self-awareness of a pedophile masturbating using his own feces as lube."

I think it's very polite of them to have such a handy word so I don't have to go to the trouble of deciding whether or not to add then to the ignore list.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av

Danaru posted:

Wait is that real :yikes: I don't really follow SCP stuff since most of it's poo poo, but I at least thought it was poo poo in a harmless way

There's some well-known entry on SCP that's been there forever which is basically some woman that'll give birth to super ultra satan if you don't do "Procedure Montauk 100" on her every couple of days, written with super heavy implications that procedure montauk is something so completely horrible and morally repugnant that no-one who's assigned to it actually wants to do it, so they get their memory wiped afterwards, with an addendum that one dude they assigned to it started enjoying it so they just shot dead him on the spot.

It's pretty obvious what the author was going for but there was some commentary the author posted which boiled down to "Well I didn't say it was rape, if you think it's rape then maybe YOU'RE the rape fantasist :colbert:" which drives it up to TVtropes levels of contemptible.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Screaming Idiot posted:

There is nothing wrong with the word "cuck." It's shorthand for "nothing I say is ever of value and I have the self-awareness of a pedophile masturbating using his own feces as lube."

I think it's very polite of them to have such a handy word so I don't have to go to the trouble of deciding whether or not to add then to the ignore list.

yep. its literally an off switch for me paying attention other then a ohgod its that drat word again

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I'm just flattered they think i can get a lady let alone one good looking enough that she can pull two men at once.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

sneakyfrog posted:

yep. its literally an off switch for me paying attention other then a ohgod its that drat word again

The best part is that it also stems from a racist fetish, and that anyone using it usually knows this and uses it anyway, and usually because of said racist origin.

Ghostlight posted:

I legitimately don't understand how anybody could think No Ma'am (National Organisation of Men Against Amazonian Masterhood) wasn't satire.

Let alone people who think Married With Children was a garbage show.

Hey, I never said it wasn't funny, but it's basically TV junk food. Growing up I took it at face value, and there were a lot of things on the show that were utterly reprehensible that are played entirely straight, such as Al's violent tendancies toward Kelly's boyfriends or the demonization of Kelly Bundy's promiscuity and low intelligence. Furthermore, even if something is ironic, it is still that thing -- ironic racism, sexism, etc. is generally just as bad as the genuine article.

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

Grandmother of Five posted:

I never saw LF, but my favorite thing about it is that, now, +30 years later, whenever LF gets brought up, some of the most weirdly bizarre people will just materialize in order to have extremely limp-wristed on-line slap-fights with each other, that they seemingly wholly belive to be an important part of some kind of culture war.

Heath posted:

LF was a lot more influential than a lot of people realize. It would be an exaggeration to say that LF caused anything, but after it closed, a lot of the biggest voices filtered out into Twitter, Tumblr and other platforms and took their rhetoric with them. The current state of things like /pol/ are a direct response to a lot of what came out of LF.
the archtypical Twitter/Tumblr "SJW" account, banned from SA for being too crazy over lefty politics or xhe/xir pronouns, made good strawmen for the alt.right to make South Park style "on a scale of screechy liberal nutcase who identifies as a purple dog or something, versus actual Nazis, I guess that makes us moderates" arguments with.

Scudworth posted:

BBG asked for and received a perma in May
BBG permanently hosed up the forums. Before his latest perma he got modded because hahafunny, but wasn't demodded when he was permabanned and if you had him on ignore then you can't unignore anyone now, because "Sorry Black Baby Goku is a moderator/admin and you are not allowed to ignore him or her", because Radium was a bad coder so his buddy list checks for moderator status before checking for permabanned status, which is kinda hilarious so it probably won't get fixed. He'll be back though, this is like his third or fourth permaban.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Syd Midnight posted:

BBG permanently hosed up the forums. Before his latest perma he got modded because hahafunny, but wasn't demodded when he was permabanned and if you had him on ignore then you can't unignore anyone now, because "Sorry Black Baby Goku is a moderator/admin and you are not allowed to ignore him or her", because Radium was a bad coder so his buddy list checks for moderator status before checking for permabanned status, which is kinda hilarious so it probably won't get fixed. He'll be back though, this is like his third or fourth permaban.

Oh no this is easy to fix by hand: just look for BBG's name in the ignore list page and delete it by hand. I already had to do this with fishmech (lol) when he was modded (lol)

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

When I noticed that senior woodchuck's name is not señor but senior as in the Junior Woodchucks aka Donald Duck's young nephews, I went googling for the story behind his demodding in case that was relevant. I could tell from the search results that the SA offsites were really happy about it, so he must have been doing something right. But when I saw this

idiotbitch.fucker posted:

senior woodchuck literally scours google for videos of animals accidentally peeing themselves and jerks off to it. he is sexually aroused by animals accidentally peeing in places they are not supposed to pee. senior woodchuck puts his dirty and chaffed hands into his pants and tugs his hosed up dick while he views videos of dogs and cats pissing on kitchen floors and kid's beds until he chokes his fuckocock dry of his cum.
at first I thought it was a light hearted insult, not the actual truth.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Syd Midnight posted:

When I noticed that senior woodchuck's name is not señor but senior as in the Junior Woodchucks aka Donald Duck's young nephews, I went googling for the story behind his demodding in case that was relevant. I could tell from the search results that the SA offsites were really happy about it, so he must have been doing something right. But when I saw this

at first I thought it was a light hearted insult, not the actual truth.

That poster is trying really hard.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Palpek posted:

There was definitely also doxxing that expanded into real life though. I remember a few threads where goons would share real info on the OP and then others would call the guy's family/work/school. It was usually some creeps though like the guy who tried filming his sister in the shower or the guy that knew who stole an exchange student's money at his school and instead of informing the school/police he blackmailed the thief into giving him a cut. Stuff like that.

poo poo like this is why I'm so pissed about doxxing. I ended up on the wrong side of it once from a Chan and woke up to a bunch of screaming voicemails on my phone and weird messages on Tumblr. The funniest part was that they posted pictures of me in the thread and one person actually expressed surprise that I look like a normal dude instead of some Cheeto-stained fat dweeb.

And then a different group of people started loving with my wedding registry, which terrified my fiancee.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

It was pretty inevitable that something like helldump would quickly devolve into 1) the weirdest fuckup goons coming out of the woodwork and doxxing people and 2) the endless amounts of inane callout threads

The doxxing was worse on an objective scale but man, if you told someone they had a stupid opinion in GBS there was like a 50% chance they'd go start a callout thread crying about it, often accompanied by scouring of post histories to find out-of-context posts to make the person look bad.

It was really dumb.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I would be okay with everyone's post history in the_donald being mailed to their parents, however.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Speaking of, does anyone have a link to that thread where the dude got doxxed for setting up a camera in the shower to catch his sister? I don't think I've ever seen someone so freaked out as that dude was when Axemaniac or whoever dropped the fact that he was about to call the dude's parents.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Subjunctive posted:

That poster is trying really hard.

yeah especially when he wrote on his blog about smelling a girls hair on a bus lol

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I would be okay with everyone's post history in the_donald being mailed to their parents, however.

I'm gonna assume most T_D users parents are also Trump voters

Kyoon hasn't shown up in a while. Did the Illuminati finally get to him?

Nissin Cup Nudist has a new favorite as of 15:08 on Jul 12, 2017

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008

poptart_fairy posted:

It is kinda funny how a lot of people have swung to the other extreme, though. Seen so many people freak out over goons doxxing because they quoted something from their posting history, or whatever. :psyduck:

I've been given a week's probation for quoting posts in other threads, on two occasions. I guess you're supposed to pretend each thread is a whole new set of users and not notice when a post makes no sense with what they posted in some other thread?

A lot of weird modding decisions were going on at the time, during the last big social justice saga that led to the creation of the Great Race Space forum. I wish I could provide a link to the drama, but it consisted of like a dozen threads, mainly in QCS, where there would be multiple posts per minute for days. Just so much posting.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I'm gonna assume most T_D users parents are also Trump voters

Kyoon hasn't shown up in a while. Did the Illuminati finally get to him?

he's probably on a magical caro-style spirit journey through the bowels of a CIA blacksite prison

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

OldTennisCourt posted:

Speaking of, does anyone have a link to that thread where the dude got doxxed for setting up a camera in the shower to catch his sister? I don't think I've ever seen someone so freaked out as that dude was when Axemaniac or whoever dropped the fact that he was about to call the dude's parents.
I remember that one but there was also a goon with a similar secret where somebody did in fact call his parents:

I'm not sure if this is okay or not...

Followed with:

To whoever just destroyed my life...

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Palpek posted:

I remember that one but there was also a goon with a similar secret where somebody did in fact call his parents:

Followed with:

Unfortunately this turned out to be bullshit, the dude came out in another thread saying it was all made up.

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
I feel like the story of a goon smelling a girl's hair while riding the bus, getting horned up about it and then for some reason sharing it on the forums, is so weirdly specific that it'd be a one-time story, but I also feel like it really has happened like dozens of times.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Palpek posted:

Followed with:

My favorite is the post that gives specific instructions on how to commit suicide :gonk:

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Phyzzle posted:

I've been given a week's probation for quoting posts in other threads, on two occasions. I guess you're supposed to pretend each thread is a whole new set of users and not notice when a post makes no sense with what they posted in some other thread?

A lot of weird modding decisions were going on at the time, during the last big social justice saga that led to the creation of the Great Race Space forum. I wish I could provide a link to the drama, but it consisted of like a dozen threads, mainly in QCS, where there would be multiple posts per minute for days. Just so much posting.

I got curious and clicked the probation on your rap sheet that I figured it was about, and are you sure that the reason you were probated wasn't because it is insanely weird to contribute to calling people out as not being black or not being black enough? Maybe I clicked the wrong one, though.

Like, it is funny that some people on the forums are somehow stupid enough to try and get people to do paper-bag tests apparently & I can appreciate the humor and absurdity of that, but come on, you're being a weirdo if you're pressing for that stuff, no matter whether you end up right or wrong.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Grandmother of Five posted:

I feel like the story of a goon smelling a girl's hair while riding the bus, getting horned up about it and then for some reason sharing it on the forums, is so weirdly specific that it'd be a one-time story, but I also feel like it really has happened like dozens of times.

Niles smelled Daphne's hair all the time when she didn't know. Niles was a big weirdo creep.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Phyzzle posted:

wrong, but good try

you can look in negrotown the thread, because tgrs, originally negrotown, was created when lowtax literally came into negrotown thread after demodding koalas march from d&d because he thought she did a racism according to his one black friend (she didn't) and asked two people if instead of a thread ghetto they would like a subforum ghetto

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

Solice Kirsk posted:

Niles smelled Daphne's hair all the time when she didn't know. Niles was a big weirdo creep.

The new Hannibal Lecter series' Hannibal, is apparently pretty much wholly based on the mannerism of Niles and Fraiser. It really is a perfect influence. I mean, people are free to enjoy whatever, but Fraiser is the kind of sitcom that a serial killer who has no real understanding of what love, culture, empathy and laughing is, and is just trying to mimic all of it.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Nah, Frasier ruled. You were supposed to find the brothers a little off-putting and weird. Because they were. Also for a 90's show I think they handled trans issues and gay rights very well. I'm neither though, so who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I don't really remember any of it tbh. I remember that a lot of people felt super strongly about picking sides between FRIENDS, Frasier and Seinfeld, which is a massively worse thing to care about than just watching any of them imo.

The least sympatheic character out of all of them was Ross, though, but I belive he was doing that role in order to prepare for being the single least likeable character in the historically accurate ww2 Band of Brothers.