Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
I've stopped worrying and started to 'Love The Rebellion'. It gives me a legal outlet for trimming the weeds, and at this point, there's always a slightly inbred dynasty member lined up and ready to take your spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
It isn't really optimal but I like using seniority because if you keep your dynasty very small and have it mostly be landed vassals you'll get to constantly reorganize your realm and all your family members will love you.

TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008
The point about making elective more transparent making it less lovely is a pretty good one. I originally thought it worked mostly off opinion, but then, as people have mentioned, some idiot nobody with no prestige, 0 diplomacy and a bunch of negative traits always inevitably ends up as one generation's prime candidate. Without knowing anything about why it really just feels like there is some "gently caress the player" modifier going on for staying in elective for more than 1 succession.

Ultimo #1 best law.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Buschmaki posted:

It isn't really optimal but I like using seniority because if you keep your dynasty very small and have it mostly be landed vassals you'll get to constantly reorganize your realm and all your family members will love you.

Seniority is a million times better than Gavelkind, but can sometimes be tricky to get out of. I do like that it's instantly available instead of having to wait for Legalism 3 and the Late Feudal Administration law like primo/ultimo.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

TheBlackRoija posted:

The point about making elective more transparent making it less lovely is a pretty good one. I originally thought it worked mostly off opinion, but then, as people have mentioned, some idiot nobody with no prestige, 0 diplomacy and a bunch of negative traits always inevitably ends up as one generation's prime candidate. Without knowing anything about why it really just feels like there is some "gently caress the player" modifier going on for staying in elective for more than 1 succession.

Ultimo #1 best law.

In the case of Elective succession it's more like gently caress The Ruler; the AI will do the same poo poo to AI rulers.

If you find yourself playing as a vassal with a vote in Elective succession, do you vote for the ruler's favored heir? I sure as hell don't. I vote for myself, or if it's very obvious I'm not going to win, I vote for whatever is most likely to weaken the throne and thus empower myself.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Eric the Mauve posted:

In the case of Elective succession it's more like gently caress The Ruler; the AI will do the same poo poo to AI rulers.

If you find yourself playing as a vassal with a vote in Elective succession, do you vote for the ruler's favored heir? I sure as hell don't. I vote for myself, or if it's very obvious I'm not going to win, I vote for whatever is most likely to weaken the throne and thus empower myself.

Honestly I've found that playing as a ruler under an elective title I often DO win, just randomly. I once inherited the HRE as some random duke just because for whatever reason enough other dukes liked me to give me a plurality. I don't think I even voted for myself.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

Eric the Mauve posted:

That's fine, but I still want to see a 'gently caress the ruler (-50)' modifier so I know who I need to bribe/befriend/murder.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Elective was the best succession system up to Old Gods or something. Before they reworked elective, it mostly came down to your vassals' opinion of you, and a bit to their opinion of your heir. But then they changed the way elective worked, and cut all opinion modifiers in half, making it more difficult to be at +100 opinion. I could go centuries with my vassals always voting for the heir I selected, especially with the pre-conclave eyucation system guaranteeing my heir being a grey eminence with good traits.

Now elective is awful and to be avoided at all costs, which I suppose is more accurate to history.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

TheBlackRoija posted:

Ultimo #1 best law.

Traits affect AI behavior in more ways than just direct opinion modifiers. For example, Arbitrary characters are more likely to do something that makes absolutely no sense for no particular reason. It could be the traits of the voters affecting their vote chances. I've seen speculation that culture matters in elective votes, too, with foreign-culture vassals being less likely to vote for your heir and more likely to vote for some outsider.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Torrannor posted:

Now elective is awful and to be avoided at all costs, which I suppose is more accurate to history.

Not to mention, you assholes are going to revolt anyway, why the gently caress should you get a say in who my heir is? Primogeniture for life. :colbert:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Ultimo is way better and more fun than Primo

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Eric the Mauve posted:

Ultimo is way better and more fun than Primo

The only time Ultimo's really bitten me in the rear end is when I failed an Immortality quest and got reincarnated. So at the moment of my death I had a 0 year old son and so I became him instead of my perfectly placed 17 year old heir I had been hoping for.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Tanistry is where it's at. All the obscure mechanics of elective and family members who loving hate you.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
what should i know about education? currently i try and give them an initial focus to round off stats they might have 0 in or whatever and then i try and amake sure to boost their best stats next time on the focus

I'm currently using tanistry and having all my characters sire a load of bastards who get legitimised so that there are plenty of potential heirs around

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Jose posted:

what should i know about education? currently i try and give them an initial focus to round off stats they might have 0 in or whatever and then i try and amake sure to boost their best stats next time on the focus

The fist one is a good default option if you don't have anything specific in mind. It has a very high chance of giving the correct traits for a Martial education. The coins one is good for Stewardship, and the other yellow one next to it is good for Intrigue.

Jose posted:

I'm currently using tanistry and having all my characters sire a load of bastards who get legitimised so that there are plenty of potential heirs around

If you're going full Tanistry, make sure that every single land holder in your country is part of your dynasty.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

jfood posted:

Tanistry is where it's at. All the obscure mechanics of elective and family members who loving hate you.
That one dude that suggested agnatic kingdoms under enatic empires was really great too

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Jose posted:

Take Thrift every time basically. It seems like they went out of their way to make the diplomacy-focused education options give lovely traits and outcomes almost every time.

Struggle can be situationally useful if you want to aim for a military demigod and possibly Brawny. Other than that it's Thrift every time for me.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

binge crotching posted:

The fist one is a good default option if you don't have anything specific in mind. It has a very high chance of giving the correct traits for a Martial education. The coins one is good for Stewardship, and the other yellow one next to it is good for Intrigue.

If you're going full Tanistry, make sure that every single land holder in your country is part of your dynasty.

Land holder meaning someone who has rights to counties? I've only been giving away castles and stuff as I build them and I changed the law so that titles can't leave the kingdom

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.
On that note about education, is Conclave worthwhile? Steam reviews for it were bad so I avoided it, but the pricing review bomb makes me question the wisdom in paying attention to Steam reviews at all.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Deceitful Penguin posted:

That one dude that suggested agnatic kingdoms under enatic empires was really great too

Absolute Cognatic Elective Gavelkind, but no matrilineal marriages allowed.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Eldred posted:

On that note about education, is Conclave worthwhile? Steam reviews for it were bad so I avoided it, but the pricing review bomb makes me question the wisdom in paying attention to Steam reviews at all.

Yes, it's worthwhile. The features that everyone got pissed off about were patched into the game in the Conclave patch and aren't part of the DLC. The stuff that's actually in the DLC is cool and good.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
the education system is dumb and bad

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Raserys posted:

the education system is dumb and bad

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The pre-Conclave one was dumber and worse.

Unless of course you liked the mindless ease of cranking out heir after heir with 15+ Diplomacy

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
yeah I do like having some control over the direction of my next character, actually, as opposed to the conclave system of pick two traits you want your ward to have and hope they get them

like, I don't hate the concept of not being able to fully determine how your kid turns out, but in the pre conclave system you actually had a chance to influence those traits via events with some chance of failure

in conclave, your child gets idolizer and shy without you being notified, and you get an event where the options are add fussy trait, or, add fussy trait -50 opinion

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Eric the Mauve posted:

The pre-Conclave one was dumber and worse.

Unless of course you liked the mindless ease of cranking out heir after heir with 15+ Diplomacy

The old system had some decision making go into the trade off between getting the best education and the risks of unwanted culture/religion conversion and negative traits from the educator whereas now it's literally just click the button for the stat you want to be good.

It wasn't perfect but it was better than the current system of "press the button on the cloning vat and hope you don't get a dud"

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
The 'Rebels and Warmongers' mod has a good take on the education system, in my opinion. Children will (hopefully) get the base-level education trait of their mentor at some point. Later they can either level up depending on mentor level over time, or they can move their focus laterally, and continue moving up. Oh, if you keep sending the same child to different mentors, they'll get a special education called "Simple Jack", which is a sort-of-lovely jack of all trades deal. I like it far better than standard education

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

The problem with the current education system is that the events which lead to trait development can fire for any member of the court, not exclusively to the educator. It's kinda fluffy when you're stuck in a long regency, but for the most part just sucks.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

There was never any real risk in the old system except for when you wanted to change education for whatever your heir was to something other than what your current dude had. Other than that you had pretty much 100% control and it lead to everyone being super samey.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
The old education system was too powerful, you had pretty much complete control over your heir if you wanted, and could get consistently get good education and great traits with no downside. The new education system is too weak, you don't really feel like you have any influence on what's going on and the results might as well be random for how little real choice-making you have. Though neither system is really all that good, having heirs be basically random is preferable to having an unbroken line of Grey Eminences over the course of three centuries.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Old system was poo poo. Boy I sure enjoyed having an unbroken 300 year long line of what are essentially clones, mmhmm. Conclave isn't perfect but it's better than that. It's given me utter poo poo rulers that I either had to work around or find a way to make grow into the kings of legends. Way more fun.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

I like that when you start a new game you can disable some systems without losing achievements. This is one of the few games I actually really like the achievements for. A lot of them have a substantial goal to work towards and it's super fun.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I get that large stats are better for characters but does a characfter having bad stats really make that much impact?

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

a7m2 posted:

I like that when you start a new game you can disable some systems without losing achievements. This is one of the few games I actually really like the achievements for. A lot of them have a substantial goal to work towards and it's super fun.

I'm one of those folks who's blessed with the bug where achievements are permanently disabled even without mods or any other alterations. My last troubleshooting option is to wipe out any trace of CK2 and reinstall and hope that fixes it. Unfortunately, I'm on lovely metered internet, so large downloads are... problematic.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Jose posted:

I get that large stats are better for characters but does a characfter having bad stats really make that much impact?

Very much so.

Low martial is crippling for levy from the capital duchy/holdings(It's a %-based penalty), putting you into a weakened position.
Low Stewardship can have horrific effects on tax income from the holdings you hold(%-based penalty again).
Low Diplomacy makes dealing with short reign penalties even worse, since no one will like you.
Low Intrigue means you'll have no detection on plots, which will be occuring because no-one likes you.

Low Learning is the only 'safe' one, but will still hurt tech growth.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?

ShootaBoy posted:

Old system was poo poo. Boy I sure enjoyed having an unbroken 300 year long line of what are essentially clones, mmhmm. Conclave isn't perfect but it's better than that. It's given me utter poo poo rulers that I either had to work around or find a way to make grow into the kings of legends. Way more fun.

Ya, keeping your poo poo together when you have a bad character is good and fun.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Is there a rule of thumb for picking the most cap-efficient retinue? Assuming gold isn't really an issue? (If it matters, I'm playing Emperor of Leon, so my special retinue option is caballeros.)

So far I have been mostly running Defense (Pike/Archers), but I'm wondering if Caballeros or Shock is better?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Nope, unless you're Italian or one of the cultures with access to horse archers, Defense is the best retinue.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

The culture specific Light Cav is pretty good actually, especially when combined with Tengri.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

Arcturas posted:

Is there a rule of thumb for picking the most cap-efficient retinue? Assuming gold isn't really an issue? (If it matters, I'm playing Emperor of Leon, so my special retinue option is caballeros.)

So far I have been mostly running Defense (Pike/Archers), but I'm wondering if Caballeros or Shock is better?

Dunno if things may have changed since (this was posted 7/9/2015) but someone listed out the "best" retinues: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/best-retinues-in-2-6.868993/

Lots of conflicting info out there but by most accounts you can't go wrong by stacking Defense.

• Locked thread