Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

i was up for like 21 hrs sunday and i played witcher 3 on my pc for probably 18 hours of it. i cant believe they made a game this good jesus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

this is after i already put a good 30 hrs on the ps4 version

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

i hope cyberpunk 2077 is even close to as good as witcher 3

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BBJoey posted:

If it's only half as good it'll still be better than most western RPGs

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

image being a bioware exec working on mass effect andromeda, then witcher 3 comes out. lol

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

BBJoey posted:

they seem to be putting a lot of effort into it and they got a lot of grant money, so the odds are in its favor.

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

I got the ability that lets food stay active for 20 minutes. this changed everything.

I saw some scrubs on /v/ saying it's hard to find enough food to stay alive on blood and broken bones. they suck, I find food everywhere.

this game is so good

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Neurotic Roleplay posted:

I got the ability that lets food stay active for 20 minutes. this changed everything.

I saw some scrubs on /v/ saying it's hard to find enough food to stay alive on blood and broken bones. they suck, I find food everywhere.

this game is so good

*veins throbbing in my face, breath smelling like raw dog meat and pure alcohol, dressed in the donkey ears and weird glasses* Hello, Novigrad, I'd like to buy a whore please.

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

omg why would anyone want to hurt priscilla? shes such a nice lady. they will taste my blade

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it

this game is so good

I'm still in White Orchard, but I'm playing on blood & broken bones and I just put my first ability point into that passive health regeneration whenever it's daytime. I haven't had to eat food at all.

My Geralt is solar powered.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

those talents are great because respeccing mid/late-game is cheap as gently caress and they're super useful up until that point

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Is it worth playing the witcher games in order?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Control Volume posted:

Is it worth playing the witcher games in order?

Witcher 1 has Runescape combat and is 50 horus long

One Man Trash
Jun 6, 2013

In Training posted:

Witcher 1 has Runescape combat and is 50 horus long

This. I played Witcher 1 in like 2009 and doubt i'll ever return to it, Witcher 3 is such an improvement.

You might miss some references to W1 but W3 was designed for players new to the series.

Witcher 2 is still decent though.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

I liked 1 more than 2 fwiw. It has definitely not aged well, but the story is pretty good and certainly helps you feel more invested in old Gerry by the time you reach the third game.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

i played and enjoyed witcher 1, in english, before the enhanced edition patch. ask me about my brainworms

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

the first two aren't terrible but unless you have time to kill you should just play 3 imo

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Just play 3 again, in New Game Plus, and choose all different choices.

A Tasteful Nude
Jun 3, 2013

A cool anime hagrid pic (imagine nude pls)
I jumped into game number three and whereas part of me wishes I had played the previous games, part of the charm is the whole "lol wtf I guess geralt: 'dated this sorceresses / hosed over this spy man / became bros with this cool rear end bard guy' at some point or whatever" reading comic books for the first time semi-understood reference-ology that you gradually gain a working understanding of as you play.

Like, there's a story scene early on if you choose "recreate an old-game save's choices" where a royalist not-roman bastard asks you story questions that make ZERO sense if you haven't actually played the previous games, but I found answering the questions hilarious nonetheless (lmao yeah I megascoped that wizard babe whatever the gently caress that is) and then enjoyed learning what the answers to those questions meant later.

basically do whatever it takes to play witcher 3 and play it now, it owns. IT OWNS.

A Tasteful Nude
Jun 3, 2013

A cool anime hagrid pic (imagine nude pls)
There are only two HARD witcher rules:

1) play witcher 3 now like NOW

2) when a witcher lady says "geralt oh man please don't drink too much" GET GERALT HAMMERED

Dec 26, 2012

tao of lmao posted:

I liked 1 more than 2 fwiw. It has definitely not aged well, but the story is pretty good and certainly helps you feel more invested in old Gerry by the time you reach the third game.

same, but i probably wouldn't replay either

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

A Tasteful Nude posted:

Like, there's a story scene early on if you choose "recreate an old-game save's choices" where a royalist not-roman bastard asks you story questions that make ZERO sense if you haven't actually played the previous games, but I found answering the questions hilarious nonetheless (lmao yeah I megascoped that wizard babe whatever the gently caress that is) and then enjoyed learning what the answers to those questions meant later.
If you do the questions blind just remember to say that you didn't kill Letho because you lose a neat sidequest with a cool bro otherwise.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

It also helps that the game gives you an updating encyclopedia of all the NPCs you meet/hear about, so even if you go in with zero witcher knowledge other than it's from poland and there's probably some tits, you can still keep up

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

01011001 posted:

same, but i probably wouldn't replay either

I only did the scoiatel path on each of the previous games so eventually I plan on going through it again for the humans.

I think they're both worth going through on easy for the story.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Thinking of difficulty, one of the dumb things I did years ago was install mods before playing a game even once, and there was a highly rated difficulty mod for Witcher 1 that people said made the combat a lot more fun even for newbies. The easiest difficulty had me die a dozen times in the tutorial and changed the starting ghost dog enemies you fight into murdering you if you didnt run away and heal up 10 times a fight

Ive only modded two games since then

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Control Volume posted:

Thinking of difficulty, one of the dumb things I did years ago was install mods before playing a game even once, and there was a highly rated difficulty mod for Witcher 1 that people said made the combat a lot more fun even for newbies. The easiest difficulty had me die a dozen times in the tutorial and changed the starting ghost dog enemies you fight into murdering you if you didnt run away and heal up 10 times a fight

Ive only modded two games since then

all the better balance mods for witcher 3 involve either making you a god with every skill maxed out and selling things gives you more gold than buying them, or it makes it so that you have to be naked with 1 sword or youre over max weight and everything murders you

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

extremebuff posted:

all the better balance mods for witcher 3 involve either making you a god with every skill maxed out and selling things gives you more gold than buying them, or it makes it so that you have to be naked with 1 sword or youre over max weight and everything murders you

Death March is pretty much perfect IMO.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Death march makes the starting area super tedious imho. Blood and broken bones and then upping it to death march around the time you reach novigrad did well for me

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

extremebuff posted:

I took mostly QOL mods like fast travel from anywhere and auto-looting.

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

im positive im almost done with the main quest soI went back and got all the Witcher gear upgrades. I think im ready to finish this thing and get into the dlc.

lol how can anyone go back to skyrim after this

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

very carefully

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I dunno if I'll ever replay this and it makes me kind of sad

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I dunno if I'll ever replay this and it makes me kind of sad

I'm sure I'll get back to it. One day when I have a long white beard and one or two marbles rolling around upstairs.

"Get busy gamin', or get busy dyin'."

-Vesemir

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

This is the only game I've ever beaten and immediately started a new game on. It's enough for me to simply beat a game.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

When I decide to replay this Cyberpunk will probably be out so :rip:.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Decided to play Witcher 1 on easy and its nice being an rear end in a top hat to everyone instead of being a noble hero. Also lolling at the flimsy reasons that every girl wants to gently caress you

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

is Witcher 1 really that bad

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-egGn5WYrk

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

is Witcher 1 really that bad

They basically had to borrow an engine that wasn't suited for the kind of game they were making, so kinda?

• Locked thread