Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vinny Possum
Sep 21, 2015

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Is there a way to send missionaries to "uncivilized" pagan nations? If so I propose we Bring the Light of Allah to the Savages. After all, the souls of the heathen are more at risk than those of our brothers of the book.

If that's not possible, I support Snipee's Islamic Iberia Act, with the stipulation that we respect the rights of loyal dhimmi.

Vinny Possum fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jul 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Rodyle posted:

Alright, to business then. I think our strategy of creating package bills has been serving us pretty well.

Concurring with Soup, I think Aragorn should be our first priority.

Sevila I Do Like It

1. Terminate Aragorn immediately, should our mercenary forces be deemed sufficient for doing so and they not be protected by no higher power.
2. Cease all military action until our debts are paid off and our forces be restored to at least 75%.
3. Once our warmaking powers are restored, strike at the Moroccans, aiming primarily to take the Seville and Qharibya trade nodes. If the Sultan sees an additional alliance as needed for this operation, he is given mandate to pursue such.
4. When our truce expires, presuming we are not at war with Morocco and they are unprotected, terminate Castille.
5.. Maintain military research and construction as deemed appropriate by the Sultan.

Taifas, any proposed amendments?

Supporting this

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Cure for cancer discovered!
Court physicians hate him!

Vinny Possum posted:

Is there a way to send missionaries to "uncivilized" pagan nations?

Yeah, that's not possible. The only way to convert other-religion countries is by vassalizing them, then forcing your own religion on them.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Vinny Possum posted:

Is there a way to send missionaries to "uncivilized" pagan nations? If so I propose we Bring the Light of Allah to the Savages. After all, the souls of the heathen are more at risk than those of our brothers of the book.

If that's not possible, I support Snipee's Islamic Iberia Act, with the stipulation that we respect the rights of loyal dhimmi.

You could in CK2, and they would almost always be imprisoned and killed, and sometimes eaten!

I support Snipee's act. Let's do this thang.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Rodyle posted:

Sevila I Do Like It

1. Terminate Aragorn immediately, should our mercenary forces be deemed sufficient for doing so and they not be protected by no higher power.
2. Cease all military action until our debts are paid off and our forces be restored to at least 75%.
3. Once our warmaking powers are restored, strike at the Moroccans, aiming primarily to take the Seville and Qharibya trade nodes. If the Sultan sees an additional alliance as needed for this operation, he is given mandate to pursue such.
4. When our truce expires, presuming we are not at war with Morocco and they are unprotected, terminate Castille.
5.. Maintain military research and construction as deemed appropriate by the Sultan.

This sounds good.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
Question Hashim, what idea groups have we chosen, and how close are we to our next one.

The Bold Kobold
Aug 11, 2014

Bold to the point of certain death.

Rodyle posted:

Alright, to business then. I think our strategy of creating package bills has been serving us pretty well.

Sevila I Do Like It

I see nothing wrong with this set of objectives.

This has my support.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Policies so far:

Soup du Jour posted:

It's time for Iberian Consolidation. Annex Aragon as soon as possible, and then Castile as soon as the truce ends. We need to end these minor principalities as soon as possible, and set the stage for the final confrontation over the Pyrenees. Also, France is way too strong to take on right now.

Soup du Jour, Luhood.

Rodyle posted:

Sevila I Do Like It:

Rodyle, Lord Cyrahzax, Technowolf, Bloody Pom, RZApublican, catlord, The Bold Kobold.

Mountaineer posted:

I propose we secure an alliance with Mali. They might be willing to help attack Morocco, so I think it's worth pursuing. While they are unlikely to be much help in any of our other wars, it can't hurt to broaden our alliance network.

Mountaineer.

Snipee posted:

I propose the Islamic Iberia Act to finish converting the rest of Iberia over to Sunni Islam. We have made great progress in the last several decades, but we are not done yet. If we conquer any new territories on the peninsula, then we should immediately start working on enlightening them as well.

Snipee, unwantedplatypus, Slaan, Vinny Possum, Ralepozozaxe.

GunnerJ posted:

Proposing the Colonial Loyalty Act: Ensure by whatever means the game makes available that our colonies aren't going to suddenly declare independence should the wind change briefly. I'm assuming this doesn't count as "further colonization."

GunnerJ, Mikl.

none.

Proposed coalitions:

League of Merchants and Jizrunid Loyalists

Crazycryodude posted:

Proposing the Even More Tequila Initiative, a coalition between the Merchants and the Loyalists to keep colonizing the New World, with an emphasis on forming/growing colonial nations in Central America.

Merchants: Crazycryodude, Talas.
Loyalists: Odysseus S. Grant.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Ralepozozaxe posted:

Question Hashim, what idea groups have we chosen, and how close are we to our next one.

We have Exploration, Expansion and Quality Ideas. We're 2 admin techs away from unlocking the next idea group, so it's very likely that I can get it done this session or next.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
Hashim, I didn't have a chance to declare my party earlier. Is it too late for me?

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Viola the Mad posted:

Hashim, I didn't have a chance to declare my party earlier. Is it too late for me?

Nope, if you didn't declare for a party the reshuffling, you're free to do so.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Hashim, I should ask this in this thread.

Does Morocco hold Mauritius now? If so, that means they're going to be colonizing the East Indies and Australia before too much longer.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Patter Song posted:

Does Morocco hold Mauritius now? If so, that means they're going to be colonizing the East Indies and Australia before too much longer.

Yep, looks like it's them. They now stretch from the Caribbean to the Indian ocean, no mean empire.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Snipee posted:

I propose the Islamic Iberia Act to finish converting the rest of Iberia over to Sunni Islam. We have made great progress in the last several decades, but we are not done yet. If we conquer any new territories on the peninsula, then we should immediately start working on enlightening them as well.

I endorse the Islamic Iberia Act. Once we eliminate the rebellious infidel, we can diversify our operations.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Morocco is going to be seriously hamstrung in V2 by only one thing:

There is no Coal in the entirety of North or West Africa, with the exception of two provinces in Nigeria. There is no coal in the entirety of Brazil. There is one coal province in South Africa, pretty deep inland, and one coal-producing province in Australia.

Morocco is going to have a hell of a time industrializing.

It does have a leg up in that it controls Algeria, which has plenty of Iron, the other key industrializing resource.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
If Morocco is sufficiently teched up at the end of EU4 they'll probably start industrialized. Plus, they'll have their hands on so many other resources that they'll probably be able to trade for whatever they need.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

Sheika Rabab bint Rabab al-Majnun declares support for the Taifas and

Mountaineer posted:

I propose we secure an alliance with Mali. They might be willing to help attack Morocco, so I think it's worth pursuing. While they are unlikely to be much help in any of our other wars, it can't hurt to broaden our alliance network.

Supports this motion, with the addendum that we should also pursue alliances with any other nation that might threaten Moroccan holdings. This includes the native powers of Gharbia.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
I'm kinda torn here: I have been one of the most agressive lobbyists for war against Morocco in this thread, but Rodyle's bill already orders two other wars. I think that's a little bit too ambitious for us, at least not without more clear language to prevent any mistakes. Do we even know who Morocco's allies are at the moment? They might have sneaked in another one and make this war take longer than necessary. I also think we should make sure to attack Castille before Morocco because it's easy and pretty much guaranteed to succeed.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Ralepozozaxe posted:

If Morocco is sufficiently teched up at the end of EU4 they'll probably start industrialized. Plus, they'll have their hands on so many other resources that they'll probably be able to trade for whatever they need.

Ask anyone who has played a V2 game as, say, Brazil or Colombia: a lack of Coal can really hurt in the early-mid game, even if you are a civ sitting on great resources.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Mountaineer posted:

I support this measure, for Soup Du Jours proposal is redundant with several points of Rodyle's bill and we need every advantage we can get against Morocco.

We cannot gently caress this up. This is our last chance to get the power to survive the big blue blob.

Aeromancia
Jul 23, 2013

Mountaineer posted:

Supporting this.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Patter Song posted:

Ask anyone who has played a V2 game as, say, Brazil or Colombia: a lack of Coal can really hurt in the early-mid game, even if you are a civ sitting on great resources.

South Africa and Madagascar have some coal, so that will help them a bit. I am sad to say I typed in Victoria 3 when I was searching for the resource map. Someday that prince will come.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Taking proposed amendments into account:

The Sevilla Do Like It

1. Terminate Aragorn immediately, should our mercenary forces be deemed sufficient for doing so, and should they be protected by no higher power.
2. Strike at the Moroccans once we have a greater army, a budget surplus, and equivalent military technology. Tangiers is to be our primary target, with secondary importance being granted to particularly juicy Qaribyan holdings and enlarging our vassal.
3. When our truce expires, if they are unprotected by any great power and our forces are deemed sufficient, terminate Castille.
4. Maintain military research, military construction, and debt payments as deemed appropriate by the Sultan to further the above goals.
5. Not a single goal on this manifesto, or on any other measures passed by this body, is to be considered an acceptable reason to provoke war with France. Don't do it.

Signatories of the previous bill, for legislative ease, can probably be considered to carry over unless they say otherwise?

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

I would give the Sultan more freedom in eliminating Castile. When the truce ends, we strike.
Restrictions lightened.

Soup du Jour posted:

Seems like a solid plan, although I'd prefer that any war with Morocco be more targeted towards enlarging our vassal in the Maghreb. Weakening Morocco while keeping our administrative power free for Iberia would be ideal.

Dance Officer posted:

Don't wait till the debt is paid off. Strike Morocco when Al Andalus has a bigger army and is at least on the same mil tech, and there's a surplus in the budget.

Oh and we should take Tangiers for ourselves. We want to dominate to dominate the Sevilla node as much as possible. Everything else can be pawned off to vassals.
Compromise arranged.

Grizzwold posted:

I would like an amendment to points 3 and 4 to also exclude a war with France, whose truce with us will expire at the same time as Castille's. We should avoid having to fight on two fronts if at all possible. Also point 1 is a bit hard to parse, "should... they not be protected by no higher power" seems to be indicating that war is preferred if they have powerful backers.
The French Problem clarified.

This is not an official legislative position, but informally, I believe I speak for all the Taifas when I say I agree with the merchants that force is likely not the best solution to colonial unrest, at least not at this stage. Perhaps we might arrange hear from colonial delegations at the next summit? A matter for the Sultan's consideration.

Of course, should talk of taking up arms turn from more than just talk...

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jul 12, 2017

Zakrelo
Dec 19, 2015

Crazycryodude posted:

Proposing the Even More Tequila Initiative, a coalition between the Merchants and the Loyalists to keep colonizing the New World, with an emphasis on forming/growing colonial nations in Central America.

Sure.

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

Crazycryodude posted:

I support this!

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3

Snipee posted:

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

I, Dansar rabb al'Ustul, support this!

GunnerJ posted:

Proposing the Colonial Loyalty Act: Ensure by whatever means the game makes available that our colonies aren't going to suddenly declare independence should the wind change briefly. I'm assuming this doesn't count as "further colonization."

If the coalition with the Loyalists works out I'll rescind this.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Well, it seems that Rodyle's proposition is both smart and makes mine redundant, so I rescind mine and

Mountaineer posted:

Support this. Mostly because the other proposal has like 10 votes so it's fine.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

GunnerJ posted:

So I kinda want to rescind this because I want the coalition vote to win, but is there time to propose an amendment where the Even More Tequila Initiative includes provisions to develop and make nice with the colonies we have? It won't do any good to expand like crazy if they all up and 1776 on us.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

Mountaineer posted:

Supporting this.

Odysseus S. Grant
Oct 12, 2011

Cats is the oldest and strongest emotion
of mankind

GunnerJ posted:

So I kinda want to rescind this because I want the coalition vote to win, but is there time to propose an amendment where the Even More Tequila Initiative includes provisions to develop and make nice with the colonies we have? It won't do any good to expand like crazy if they all up and 1776 on us.

I would be interested in such an amendment.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Done.

Even More Tequila Initiative Amended posted:

Ensure that colonial nation liberty desire stays below 50% if at all possible, and under no circumstances may it pass 75%.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

In light of the amendments my esteemed colleagues have made to their proposal, I withdraw my support for the Colonial Loyalty Act and I instead support the Even More Tequila Initiative (amended).

Home is where the heart is, but the colonies are made of gold. And cocoa. And spices. And more.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Crazycryodude posted:

Ensure that colonial nation liberty desire stays below 50% if at all possible, and under no circumstances may it pass 75%.

Supporting this.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!

Mountaineer posted:

Supporting this.

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

Seeing how Soup du Jour's "Iberian Consolidation Act" was revoked in favour of Rodyle's proposition my vote is suddenly free again.

Mountaineer posted:

As such I, Lutfi al-Uthman of the New Taifas, will support seeking an alliance with the West Africans. We need every ally we can get if we are to ever resist the French menace, not to mention if we want to steal the Colonies from beneath the very noses of the Moroccans. If possible I will also support Rodyle's "The Sevilla Do Like It" Act, but my premier vote is with Mountaineer in case I don't get a second one.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
There is no country called Aragorn, so item one does not actually do anything. I am opposed to any action against Morocco that doesn't include some means of insuring the French don't immediately kick down our door in the process.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

:siren:Session closed.:siren: Passed legislation are the Sevilla Do Like It Act, Mountaineer's policy, and the joint-faction coalition Even More Tequila Initiative.

Also, I'll add that from the next Majlis Meeting onward, factions with three or less members for two successive session are to be automatically disbanded. This is both to make way for potential new factions, and to prevent factions with tiny numbers from massively altering the course the sultanate takes.

Rodyle posted:

The Sevilla Do Like It:
1. Terminate Aragorn immediately, should our mercenary forces be deemed sufficient for doing so, and should they be protected by no higher power.
2. Strike at the Moroccans once we have a greater army, a budget surplus, and equivalent military technology. Tangiers is to be our primary target, with secondary importance being granted to particularly juicy Qaribyan holdings and enlarging our vassal.
3. When our truce expires, if they are unprotected by any great power and our forces are deemed sufficient, terminate Castille.
4. Maintain military research, military construction, and debt payments as deemed appropriate by the Sultan to further the above goals.
5. Not a single goal on this manifesto, or on any other measures passed by this body, is to be considered an acceptable reason to provoke war with France. Don't do it.

Rodyle, Lord Cyrahzax, Technowolf, Bloody Pom, RZApublican, catlord, The Bold Kobold.

Mountaineer posted:

Mountaineer, Viola the Mad, Captain Oblivious, Aeromancia, Soup du Jour, Frionnel, Grizzwold, Luhood.

Snipee posted:

Snipee, unwantedplatypus, Slaan, Vinny Possum, Ralepozozaxe, AJ_Impy, Erwin the German.

none.

none.

Proposed coalitions:

League of Merchants and Jizrunid Loyalists

Crazycryodude posted:

Proposing the Even More Tequila Initiative, a coalition between the Merchants and the Loyalists to keep colonizing the New World, with an emphasis on forming/growing colonial nations in Central America. Ensure that colonial nation liberty desire stays below 50% if at all possible, and under no circumstances may it pass 75%.

Merchants: Crazycryodude, Talas, Camoes, Mikl, GunnerJ.
Loyalists: Odysseus S. Grant, Zakrelo.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Hashim posted:

:siren:Session closed.:siren: Passed legislation are the Sevilla Do Like It Act, Mountaineer's policy, and the joint-faction coalition Even More Tequila Initiative.

What of the Islamic Iberia Act?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

AJ_Impy posted:

What of the Islamic Iberia Act?

Oops, yeah that also passed, accidentally left it out.