Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Reminder that ARMS is good and you should all buy it.

Counterpoint: it made so little impression on me I didn't even play in the second testpunch, I'd already had enough. If it were $20 for sure I'd pick it up but it just didn't feel like a $60 concept to me. Breath of the Wild and ARMS shouldn't be the same price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Imagined posted:

Counterpoint: it made so little impression on me I didn't even play in the second testpunch, I'd already had enough. If it were $20 for sure I'd pick it up but it just didn't feel like a $60 concept to me. Breath of the Wild and ARMS shouldn't be the same price.

This is correct. ARMS should should $60, and BotW should be $140.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Twist And Pout! posted:

Is that captain falcon with championship belt arms????

Yes but now with bigger pecs.

Nov 24, 2014

Pink... Lava?

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Sweet themed level so it's liquid hot strawberry icing?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

ghostwritingduck posted:

Any word on how big of a boost Snake Pass got with its 40 percent off? I was hoping for some news about the nice profit boost to encourage other indie developers to try some discounts.

I don't know how much of a boost it got but I think the sale price is pretty much what I think the game is worth, pricewise, so I'm glad I got in at that price point. Definitely a fun game though. If they released more stages I'd be all about DLC.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Mercury Crusader posted:

2DS 2000 Elite "Slap Nuts" Edition

Do series of words have upset me more.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cojawfee posted:

I just don't see how the 3DS could survive. You can spend 200 dollars for this one handheld, or spend 300 on this other handheld that plays big boy games.

The 3DS has a lot of games that I'd categorize as "big boy" games. Super Mario 3D land and Kid Icarus Uprising don't really feel like "portable" games. Heck, Lego City Undercover: The Chase Begins has the same overworld as the Wii U/Switch version (albeit with long load times between zones). Slap some hi-rez textures and increase the resolution and there's a bunch of 3DS titles that would feel right at home on PC/PS4/Switch.

[Edit: Same goes for the Vita (and even a few titles on the original PSP). Portable consoles haven't really felt like portables since the DS].

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jul 12, 2017

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I love my Switch but every time I go into the Jungle or under a waterfall in BOTW and see the framerate tank I just kind of :smith: to myself.

Wonder how much of this is "it's just not a heavy lifting system" and how much of it is "crappy first gen programming" or a mix of the two.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Martytoof posted:

I love my Switch but every time I go into the Jungle or under a waterfall in BOTW and see the framerate tank I just kind of :smith: to myself.

Wonder how much of this is "it's just not a heavy lifting system" and how much of it is "crappy first gen programming" or a mix of the two.

It's probably just a lack of general optimization for the new console. I imagine the next Zelda game will have little to any framerate issues, just because the console will really be understood at that point.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That's my thinking too. I don't think anyone expects it to run 60fps with PC-style ultra settings but I am excited to see when they actually get a great understanding of the hardware and optimize the everloving poo poo out of things.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
botw Switch is a wiiU game emulated on the Switch hardware, i imagine once Nintendo is past the emulation layer things will be able to get much better.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, I wouldn't consider BOTW to be the high water mark for visuals on the Switch. As more development is done for a console, the more devs figure out how to optimize for it and really get all the mileage they can. Look at how much better Skyward Sword looks than Twilight Princess.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

My go-to watermark for improvement is how great Uncharted series looked over time on the PS3. If they can incrementally get those kinds of improvements on the Switch I'll be happy as hell.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

There is no way in hell the switch is emulating a Wii U game.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Takoluka posted:

It's probably just a lack of general optimization for the new console. I imagine the next Zelda game will have little to any framerate issues, just because the console will really be understood at that point.

Maybe a little, but the X1 is a known and mature chipset on a well understood platform. This isn't like the early days of the PS3 cell processor.

Most of these devs have been writing for ARM for a while and Nvidia's drivers have been pretty optimized by this point since the ShieldTV has already been around for over two years.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

lelandjs posted:

Yeah, I wouldn't consider BOTW to be the high water mark for visuals on the Switch. As more development is done for a console, the more devs figure out how to optimize for it and really get all the mileage they can. Look at how much better Skyward Sword looks than Twilight Princess.

Otoh it is a well-known SoC with pre-day-1 support for a lot of the big engines (e.g. Unreal and Unity), so I expect it will pan out to be better understood than a lot of past consoles. That has on the other hand also been true for a lot of the more recent consoles, so there is bound to be incremental improvements in there to be had.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

The devs have come out and said they rushed the Switch port out and jammed through a bunch of unoptimized code. BotW chugs because it's a rushed port from a completely different operating system not because it's the upper limit of the Switch

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

When does botw chug now?

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

angel opportunity posted:

I really don't know what kind of balance changes Nintendo might do, but right now the fact that you gain super meter on whiffed punches is seeming like a big problem

This is overall a good post, but I wanted to focus on this bit. It certainly could be a big problem as it is in some other fighting games, but at the same time I can kinda sorta see why a dev might think it'd be okay in Arms. In other fighting games, if you whiff a normal at a distance then the opponent has to commit to something to punish it (either do a special move, or just to close in space). In Arms though, the general gameplay is already combat at a distance, so while it still takes a commitment it's more straightforward to do something about it.

There are of course lots of details that go into balancing out this sort of scenario (is the concept of whiffing attacks only going to promote wild punch spamming, are there suitable counters and punishes for that, etc), but at the least I can see a logic behind why they thought this might be an okay idea.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

A bit in kakariko and korok forest for sure. I haven't really noticed in the jungle but I don't go down there much.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

You've got to make some sacrifices for the sake of portability but I haven't encountered any slow down that says "This is unplayable."

In BotW it's all momentary or just a few frame drops in a dense forest. It has never effected my play.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Norns posted:

When does botw chug now?

It still chugs in docked mode when you go into the really dense parts with grass and trees (primarily Lost Woods) and when poo poo is going crazy with explosions + lots of enemies. It can still chug in a bunch of places, though it's less than it used to be. Undocked is basically fine.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Ahh. I don't play Zelda docked very much.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Nothing unplayable for sure. My intention wasn't to imply as such, just that there are visible framerate drops in certain high asset areas. It's usually more of an "ugh" than a "wow this is unplayable" feeling. The game has more than enough going for it in a four hour play session to make up for maybe twenty or thirty seconds of cumulative framerate drop.

My Switch has spent maybe five minutes undocked in all the time I've owned it though, and most of that was me squinting trying to make out the screen because of glare/sunlight. Clearly my rooftop party should have provided more shade.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

All I know is that Psyonix said that RL will run 60fps both docked and handheld and that is pretty loving rad to me.

I'm not expecting this thing to be a powerhouse. I'll pick up the games that it does well and leave any other 3rd party games to my PS4 or XB1.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Beastie posted:

All I know is that Psyonix said that RL will run 60fps both docked and handheld and that is pretty loving rad to me.

I'm not expecting this thing to be a powerhouse. I'll pick up the games that it does well and leave any other 3rd party games to my PS4 or XB1.

That's my feeling too. I think for the games I want on the Switch it'll run perfectly fine. I play very few AAA titles so I'm likely going to consolidate down from PS4 and Switch to just Switch in the next while. The more "whimsical" style of games that it attracts appeal to me far more than most AAA multi-platform titles.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

when is star fox 8 coming out

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I actually kind of like that the lack of AAA titles on the Switch encourages me to check out smaller indie games (though this can backfire *cough*Tumbleweed*cough*). I'm not too cheezed that we're not getting AssCreed: Crafting in Egypt though I wouldn't mind if, say, South Park: Fractured But Whole came to the Switch (I'm surprised it's not, TBH, and am hoping for a surprise announcement if MarioxRabbids does well).

I'll just do what I've done in the past: wait until a AAA game I want is on sale 25-50% off on Steam and play it on the couch with my Steam Link.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

How long did it take another Metroid to come out after Other M?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The next Zelda should have a Steam Link. (I don't mean steampunk, can I mean a mechanic where he can change between gaseous, liquid, and solid)

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Would be pretty rad to get Diablo 3 on Switch. I want something to crawl with friends. Here's to hoping the Gauntlet Legends clone is dope,

Nintendo's Strategy: Don't make it a technological powerhouse, make it fun to play with friends.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

It's gonna be preeeeetty cool when Overcooked comes out on the Switch

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Golden Goat posted:

How long did it take another Metroid to come out after Other M?

It comes out in September.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

i would still like to see aaa games on the switch or a sport game, hopefully the nba 2k game isnt a gigantic pile of garbage like it was on the wii u

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Well if we get NFL Blitz 97 or NHL Hitz that's all the sports games you need.

Maybe NBA Street.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Phantasium posted:

It comes out in September.
Cool.

Ostentatious posted:

In 6 years.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Ostentatious posted:

Golden Goat posted:

In 6 years.

Also it'll be a remake of Starfox 64.

WAIT

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I don't know much about the technical aspect, but I don't understand why Fractured But Whole isn't coming out on Switch. I played through Stick of Truth and it didn't seem technically demanding and But Whole doesn't seem like a big step up. Playing that portably would be rad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Probably because Ubisoft expected this console to just be for kids, and when it sold mostly to 30 somethings with disposable income it was too late to adjust.

• Locked thread