Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Intrinsic Field Marshal posted:

I'm not justifying what Milo said just that Milo is a deeply-hosed up individual that needs to head to therapy so he doesn't try and justify what a child abuser did to him

I dont like the way your insinuating I'm pro paedophile/child-rape btw

You're being sympathetic towards the man and offering him cover instead of trying to get him away from the kids he's willing to help hurt. If you don't want to be seen as being too close to a pedo, then don't defend him and let that rear end in a top hat twist in the wind.

This isn't an intellectual argument for me. I know and am close with several people who've been hosed with by this at a young age (including people who are in the subset Milo directly tried to excuse) and watching people treat it as some thought exercise because they are continually arguing in bad faith is spitting in the face of their traumatic experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Jippa posted:

There is a german word for when you are embarrassed for other people.

It's dutch

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

rkajdi posted:

You're being sympathetic towards the man and offering him cover instead of trying to get him away from the kids he's willing to help hurt. If you don't want to be seen as being too close to a pedo, then don't defend him and let that rear end in a top hat twist in the wind.

This isn't an intellectual argument for me. I know and am close with several people who've been hosed with by this at a young age (including people who are in the subset Milo directly tried to excuse) and watching people treat it as some thought exercise because they are continually arguing in bad faith is spitting in the face of their traumatic experience.

I'm sympathetic to the point that he needs psychological therapy to help him understand that defending the act of being a pedo is a bad thing instead of a good one in his weird attempt to justify the sexual abuse he went through yes

I'm sorry to hear about the experiences you and people are close to have been through

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

the difference is that the argument of "REEEEEEEE" won't convince anybody, at least anybody of voting age, so you don't need to worry about addressing it at all

Those guys were of voting age, and they were convinced by it. They're also the people I was specifically talking about.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Who What Now posted:

Those guys were of voting age, and they were convinced by it. They're also the people I was specifically talking about.

they weren't convinced solely by a frog screech, dude

and they weren't waving around flags shrieking to convince people of anything, but to celebrate themselves and all the dumbassery they've been convinced of

Pittsburgh Lambic fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jul 11, 2017

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

sargon of akkad makes four times as much from patreon as dril, the greatest tweeter to ever live.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

That Chuck Tingle doesn't outperform him economically is such a loving shame I cry about it. True Buckaroos know that love is real.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
Pounded In The Buns By Patreon Funds

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Who What Now posted:

Hey Lambic, where's your response to these people? If you don't calmly rebut their points, how will you ever defeat Trump?

Maybe we can win the meme wars if we outpay The pepes for Big Man Tyrone content.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8F7-iLrYn9A

EDIT:

One issue, if Big Man Tyrone was going to explain gender issues it would be difficult to make it last for only five minutes.

Midig fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jul 12, 2017

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

they weren't convinced solely by a frog screech, dude

So what did convince them besides memes and trolling?

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Who What Now posted:

bloviations by people like sargon that sound intelligent and appear to be well-researched and thought out, but in fact aren't and won't hold up to scrutiny

the kekistan thing he explains at one point as follows, which i transcribed/paraphrased a little bit from one of his videos:

quote:

I was looking at the UK home office and the census data, and I noticed that the qualifiers for the census... one of them was ethnicity. The categories for ethnicity, and these are their own words: "It's entirely self-defined and there are no objective criteria for ethnicity." And so, if you say you are that ethnicity, they have to register/accept it. And so, I've been e-mailing the census bureau to ask them: How exactly, can I get my ethnicity on the census? And then they googled 'kekistani' and rumbled us. They got back to us and said that there's an 'other' box, or we can write it in. So that's what we've got to do in 2020: If we can get more write-ins than, say, Jedi -- which got 16,000 write-ins as a religion and got registered as an actual religion in the UK -- then the UK will be forced to register us.

Then it became a parody of identity politics. "If we've got an ethnicity, you're being racist to us -- we're being oppressed if we're being banned for shitposting. This is part of our culture." And then the alt-right discovered us and were like, "you can't do this, you're stealing our memes" so we just did it more.

i make no claims re: the correctness of any of what sargon said above

Pittsburgh Lambic fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jul 12, 2017

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Who What Now posted:

Pre-existing hate of women and minorities?

Edit: Not pre consisting...

Midig fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Jul 12, 2017

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Midig posted:

Pre consisting hate of women and minorities?

Ding ding ding!

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Midig posted:

Pre consisting hate of women and minorities?

i didn't expect you to say that sargon's audience was already racist/sexist before listening to him, rather than him making them that way

your charitable attitude toward sargon aside, what made his followers racist and/or sexist?

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Their upbringing. A ton of influences decide that. That's the powder keg. Things like Sargon are the fuse. People become openly sexracist due to an event or whatever but it had been building up their whole life.

Also don't you mean preexisting midig

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

bloviations by people like sargon that sound intelligent and appear to be well-researched and thought out, but in fact aren't and won't hold up to scrutiny

the kekistan thing he explains at one point as follows, which i transcribed/paraphrased a little bit from one of his videos:

i make no claims re: the correctness of any of what sargon said above

So what you're saying is what convinces them to do these stupid things is for the lulz, because that's what that paragraph is saying. He's not arguing that Kekistan is a real place, he's pointing out that if they all sign up for it like the 16k people who signed up as jedi then they will add it as a box on the census, which is the most tangential bullshit thing you could possibly quote to make your point.

Show us where faux reasoned discussion convinced these kids instead of the memes.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Verisimilidude posted:

Wait, so is Hbomb a Good Guy?

Hbomb liked Batman Vs Superman.

So more Chaotic Good Guy really.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

I can't believe Hbomberguy likes fascism

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net

Midig posted:

Maybe we can win the meme wars if we outpay The pepes for Big Man Tyrone content.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8F7-iLrYn9A

EDIT:

One issue, if Big Man Tyrone was going to explain gender issues it would be difficult to make it last for only five minutes.

I'm impressed, he got flags and everything.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

I can't believe Hbomberguy likes fascism

hey now i didn't like dark souls 2 but that's going a bit far

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

i didn't expect you to say that sargon's audience was already racist/sexist before listening to him, rather than him making them that way

Sargon is incapable of convincing anybody, because he doesn't make any arguments. What he does is reinforce existing beliefs by telling his audience that they are right and everybody else is wrong.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

"I wasn't gonna be a pissbaby proud boy but then I saw these videos by a chinless fuckstick with a British accent and it all just spiralled out of control. Like mainlining heroin, really."

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Who What Now posted:

Anyone who needs somebody to explain to them that adults screeching about keks and feminism in a playground are not people you want to be associated with is already too stupid to help. I'm sorry, but it's true.

Public education is poo poo (and going to get worse thanks to DeVos). Lots of kids and teens get their views (or have their existing terrible views reenforced) from lovely adults on the internets. Countering that trend is actually pretty important in the long run.

Pembroke Fuse fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jul 12, 2017

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Who What Now posted:

Sargon is incapable of convincing anybody, because he doesn't make any arguments. What he does is reinforce existing beliefs by telling his audience that they are right and everybody else is wrong.

See, I disagree. They were primed to blame someone, since society taught these guys they have some special inherent value for being straight, white, male, and cis. Of course, that doesn't account for these guys being dumb as a post and poorly educated-- outcomes were always poo poo for people like this and probably always will be. And of course the least capable whites are the ones who are most hurt by making society more fair. But we've passed onto them this white supremacists lie, so they are just looking for the reason why they aren't just getting an awesome job and having hot, virginal women throw themselves at them for infinite sex. And it of course can't be them, and it certainly can't be that the thing they are pining for was always a fiction. But people always want the easy answer, and when the YouTube scammers of the world come in and blame SJWs and minorities for taking their opportunities, they buy it instantly. Never mind that those things weren't owed to them anyway, and the minorities that have gotten ahead still have the table slanted against them and are almost certainly more capable than these basement dwellers. It's gotta be the fault of the women, queers, and POCs for not just breathlessly deferring to them in everything forever.

These guys could have been turned against any group, the YouTubers of the moment just happened to ethno-nationalist swill.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

rkajdi posted:

See, I disagree. They were primed to blame someone, since society taught these guys they have some special inherent value for being straight, white, male, and cis. Of course, that doesn't account for these guys being dumb as a post and poorly educated-- outcomes were always poo poo for people like this and probably always will be. And of course the least capable whites are the ones who are most hurt by making society more fair. But we've passed onto them this white supremacists lie, so they are just looking for the reason why they aren't just getting an awesome job and having hot, virginal women throw themselves at them for infinite sex. And it of course can't be them, and it certainly can't be that the thing they are pining for was always a fiction. But people always want the easy answer, and when the YouTube scammers of the world come in and blame SJWs and minorities for taking their opportunities, they buy it instantly. Never mind that those things weren't owed to them anyway, and the minorities that have gotten ahead still have the table slanted against them and are almost certainly more capable than these basement dwellers. It's gotta be the fault of the women, queers, and POCs for not just breathlessly deferring to them in everything forever.

These guys could have been turned against any group, the YouTubers of the moment just happened to ethno-nationalist swill.

Who would they blame other than the groups they were always primed to see as inferior or less deserving? These resentments always break down along race and sex lines. Sargon is one of those people himself, in fact.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

business hammocks posted:

Who would they blame other than the groups they were always primed to see as inferior or less deserving? These resentments always break down along race and sex lines. Sargon is one of those people himself, in fact.

This is untrue. You also see it bust down on national and class lines, which are just as unjustified. The point is they have unwarranted levels of self-worth, which leads to them thinking they are entitled to the easy life and piles of sex with attractive women. You have to start educating them that the baseline for life is way lower than that, but good luck when you have a society teaching them these points from Day 1 and reinforcing them via cultural products constantly. Anymore I have to think anyone who's fallen into these traps is now a lost cause, and we have to just minimize their ability to affect culture while properly educating the next generation with realistic expectations of life.

Chasterson
Aug 16, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

rkajdi posted:

This is untrue. You also see it bust down on national and class lines, which are just as unjustified. The point is they have unwarranted levels of self-worth, which leads to them thinking they are entitled to the easy life and piles of sex with attractive women. You have to start educating them that the baseline for life is way lower than that, but good luck when you have a society teaching them these points from Day 1 and reinforcing them via cultural products constantly. Anymore I have to think anyone who's fallen into these traps is now a lost cause, and we have to just minimize their ability to affect culture while properly educating the next generation with realistic expectations of life.

Yeah like, Chris Raygun's music parodies have me convinced that, alot of this poo poo can be blamed on nerds who got way into nickelodeon's stupid 90s attitude when they were kids and never bothered to grow up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AhGYo9TExU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwYd5cRlROE

like alot of them just sort of live on the internet and think their gamer identity or whatever the gently caress is the most important thing in the world because they're morons or kids.

I disagree with you about the self worth thing though, like you don't need to instill in people that they're worthless sacks of poo poo, you need to make sure they know basic empathy (hey women are people too!).

Chasterson fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jul 12, 2017

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

rkajdi posted:

This is untrue. You also see it bust down on national and class lines, which are just as unjustified.
I'm not sure it's as unjustified for workers/underclass to blame the aristocracy or rentiers as it is for whites to blame other races or well off nations to become more nationalist. The lower classes are on the other side of the power relationship there.

Racism and sexism are often used as tools to misdirect legitimate grievances against the upper classes. Don't hate the guy who profits from your labor, hate the guy who might do your job, hate women for being allowed in the workplace, etc.

Of course, whenever someone like Diane Abbott points out this fact, people like Carlgon are the first to throw their toys out of the pram and accuse her of being the real racist.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

devos is gonna talk to red pillers about how to tackle rape on campus.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/2017/07/11/betsy_devos_is_asking_men_s_rights_trolls_to_advise_her_on_campus_sexual.html

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

They don't need to be knocked down a peg. It's not that society tells them they deserve these things, but that they need them. Sex and money is success in America. These dateless jobless losers gravitate towards awful things like Sargon because it asserts them as not the bottom rung. The economy and job market is poo poo. It's not anyone's fault they don't have a "good" job these days. That feeling of unfairness gets transferred to other things they lack in really gross ways.
They see the problem sort of. But they want to win, not change the rules. So like the left try to fix the economy these guys pine for clearing the field so they can be the cool rich sex haver anyone worth a drat is supposed to be.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

This whole Twitter thread is good
https://twitter.com/BeninCitizen/status/885153190286635011

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

They don't need to be knocked down a peg. It's not that society tells them they deserve these things, but that they need them. Sex and money is success in America. These dateless jobless losers gravitate towards awful things like Sargon because it asserts them as not the bottom rung. The economy and job market is poo poo. It's not anyone's fault they don't have a "good" job these days. That feeling of unfairness gets transferred to other things they lack in really gross ways.
They see the problem sort of. But they want to win, not change the rules. So like the left try to fix the economy these guys pine for clearing the field so they can be the cool rich sex haver anyone worth a drat is supposed to be.

Which is what makes their crusades against feminism and consent even worse. Their main argument against these things is that they believe their privilege (of being able to coerce someone) is more important than someone else's rights to be free of said coercion.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

So what you're saying is what convinces them to do these stupid things is for the lulz, because that's what that paragraph is saying. He's not arguing that Kekistan is a real place, he's pointing out that if they all sign up for it like the 16k people who signed up as jedi then they will add it as a box on the census, which is the most tangential bullshit thing you could possibly quote to make your point.

Show us where faux reasoned discussion convinced these kids instead of the memes.

ok

an example of sargon pushing an argument:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyaFsPKjZdo

half-hour video with 370,000 views, around the time of the election, which argues, at its core, that hillary is trying to stir up wars

to this point, he pulls various video clips of meetings and congressional hearings, and other politicians doing political stuff, and presents a timeline of united states interventions that were followed by destabilization occurring in those countries

interestingly, he doesn't argue as to why hillary would want war, he only argues that hillary wants war

it's this kind of poo poo that convinces people and wins them to his side, at which point they latch onto the memes and other poo poo he pushes when he's not being ~serious~

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

it's this kind of poo poo that convinces people and wins them to his side, at which point they latch onto the memes and other poo poo he pushes when he's not being ~serious~

No, he's preaching to the converted. He's not convincing anyone who wasn't already mad at Hillary for trying to ban video games back in the 90s.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

WampaLord posted:

No, he's preaching to the converted. He's not convincing anyone who wasn't already mad at Hillary for trying to ban video games back in the 90s.

Exactly, he's reinforcing views, not creating them.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

WampaLord posted:

that's both a very bold and a very broadly dismissive statement to make

would you also say that rush limbaugh never convinced anybody of anything, that they were just predisposed by external conditions to accept and act on his message?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

would you also say that rush limbaugh never convinced anybody of anything, that they were just predisposed by external conditions to accept and act on his message?

Yes. That's the entire point of right wing media, to reinforce beliefs, not create them. The beliefs get created early, when their parents tell them that the government is a waste and that the foreigners are taking all our jobs.

If you're lucky, you move to college or a city and interact with enough diverse people that you break free of dumb beliefs like that, but sadly it doesn't happen every time.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Rush Limbaugh is a different beast. A different time a different format and was a trend setter.

I'm incredulous that anyone finds these YouTube channels without already being in the swamp. It's not like they're advertising anywhere.

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net
New Laci Green video on gender:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPdVDjQ9BE8

Edit: She needs better fitting glasses, she clearly as a problem with them falling down her nose.

Most of the video is just her railing against TERFs, radical feminists, and, if I may use this term, radical SJWs (as I think it would be nice to call yourself a SJW without being associated with the overboard stuff happening on college campuses). I don't think she says anything particularly shocking or "red pill"-ish. There was one cringey joke at the end referring to herself as "mom" and needing a vibrator. Kinda out of left field.

fallenturtle fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jul 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Yes, absolutely.

• Locked thread