Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Oh my god that looks so good. I've been dying for a reason to do a lightning spell caster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Yeah that looks fantastic. Definitely jumped straight to the #1 spot for what I want to try when 3.0 goes live.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
channel that poo poo with ball lightning! holy poo poo!!

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

Okay! Well! I've been fiddling around with a ? Life-based Occultist KotF-knockoff? And I've managed to get 300k+ on Barrage, but I haven't been able to push a clearing skill over 100k, even on a 6l. Am I just being a crazy person for continuing to futz around with this?? https://pastebin.com/0baVJfDm

e: i switched it over to assassin and immediately gained 30% damage across the board. well! ok! looks like kotf is alive and mostly fine https://pastebin.com/7n1R1Exp

Jinnigan fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jul 12, 2017

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Jinnigan posted:

channel that poo poo with ball lightning! holy poo poo!!

thats literally what happens in the video you're watching

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Lighting blade flurry, I that's an interesting mechanic.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Seems clunky and highly reliant on how fast/slow you can make its proj speed, how well you can overlap the AoEs and ofc its damage. It seems it'll be a slow clearing skill from the video.

Kild fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jul 12, 2017

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I like the camera angles on that video. Hopefully they will be available in the actual game.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

datamined skill:

e: "Additional projectiles will be added sequentially, letting you fire a much denser stream of projectiles when using Greater Multiple Projectiles. Increasing the skill's area increases the size of the explosions, which will then overlap for even more damage. Slowing the projectile speed also results in more overlapping damage, while reducing the speed that the skill reaches further targets."

So GMP will work like barrage? A channeling skill where you can stack GMP and faster casting??? holy cow

Jinnigan fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jul 12, 2017

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

enraged_camel posted:

I like the camera angles on that video. Hopefully they will be available in the actual game.

Prepare to be incredibly disappointed then

NightfallGemini
Dec 26, 2006
Storm Burst looks interesting. Wonder if it'll be better on its own or if it'll just be another CWC enabler.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Finally got haku to level 8 in legacy. First 8 ever.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Man not that I'm super excited for Storm Burst but the comments section in that news is filled with people who must be dead inside.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Elentor posted:

Man not that I'm super excited for Storm Burst but the comments section in that news is filled with people who must be dead inside.

" yey another xbox skill :( "

what does that even mean, why the sad face

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

frajaq posted:

" yey another xbox skill :( "

what does that even mean, why the sad face

There are people who think that the console version existing means the game is going to get dumbed down

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
My guess is they mean a skill that's simple to use with a controller. Since you can just sweep side to side and release for AE damage instead of having to target it. Which to them means consoles are further dumbing down their precious hyper intelligent loot gatherer.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Playing around with the idea of a pure scorching ray character in path of building. The main thing that irritates me is the drat ascendancy. I like the idea of occultist for the extra curse, but the rest of the tree doesn't really mesh well unless the plan is energy shield, and that seems to be less of a thing in 3.0 now. Berserker keeps coming out ahead in damage by a fair margin thanks to that 40% more, but it feels like I am half-wasting the ascendancy since SR can't leech. It even comes ahead of inquisitor standing on consecrated ground by a good margin. His poo poo just doesn't match "40% more". I suppose he does have a good bit more cast speed though, which is useful and unaccounted for in the dps numbers.

I do know about the CWC firestorm option for berserker which can leech, and is another thing I was considering. I find it tougher to read the effective DPS numbers of that in path of building though.

Elementalist comes in behind inquisitor, so I feel it is kind of out of the running.

How weird would going for the berserker's aspect of carnage rite of ruin, and war bringer be for a SR build? Would there be a good way to work in a warcry? I guess they can't be CWDT'ed anymore, which was the case last time I played.

Can get the scorching ray 8 stage dps to around 700k with a 5L, only having a weapon equipped and nothing else, while also having 180% life from the tree. I am worried about survivability though, what with no leech.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jul 12, 2017

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
Storm burst looks amazing and everyone and their dog is going to play it when beta is over.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Budgie posted:

Storm burst looks amazing and everyone and their dog is going to play it when beta is over.

Luckily you can't really make starter wands and other caster crap expensive no matter how many streamers try.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
Storm Burst CWC Firestorm means you can reliably Beacon of Calamity+EE everything, might be even more hilarious with two Firebursting Sambar Scepters

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Thing I have discovered recently: Lioneye's Glare is actually a really good elemental bow. My intuition was that it's comparable to a good thicket, and PoB testing showed that it's actually comparable to a ridiculously well rolled thicket. And then it has a ton of nice interactions. The mana roll on lioneye's helps offset the fact you reserve so much of your mana, increases mana leech rate, and it helps that bow skills aren't that mana hungry. And the new Far shot affix works nicely with the best elemental conversion bow skills: you can lightning arrow offscreen, and blast rain works really nicely at long ranges.

I've been doing some interesting hybrid scaling using the new immolate support gem. After all, most nodes that an archer takes "projectile", and I supplement that with elemental attack and crit scaling. Any physical scaling nodes scale the bow itself, not any flat added damage from gems or gear, but it's not a total waste like what happens with a typical elemental bow build.

As for how I ignite my enemies to proc the insane damage boost from immolate? For packs, Herald of Ash ignites everything, and again it helps with hybrid scaling off my base physical damage. For single target, I have an increased crit chance on my blast rain, which helps ignite. It feels really nice, everything is coming together in an elegant manner.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Goa Tse-tung posted:

Storm Burst CWC Firestorm means you can reliably Beacon of Calamity+EE everything, might be even more hilarious with two Firebursting Sambar Scepters

I was kind of thinking trying it with fireburst as well. The current firebust build is an ignite build so I don't know how well it survives the changes on that. I have not plugged anything into path of building at all.

I would have loved to have taken mastermind of discord on the fireburst character I have in legacy, but had to take paragon of calamity just because every reflect rare was killing me.

e - the guy who made the thread on it for 2.6 says its going to need some major changes for 3.0.

He is recommending occultist for the ES regen from Vile Bastion and a crude bow + soul strike instead of a staff as you cant do ghost reaver+vp anymore. Elemental Overload + 2 of the new emberwakes instead of crit.

Bugsy fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jul 12, 2017

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I'm probably going to run Storm Burst CWC Fireball, because I hate Firestorm. Or I'll just keep it as pure lightning and do Ball Lightning.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

enraged_camel posted:

There is nothing I want more than a more zoomed out camera. Seriously

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I want to get into this but I heard that it's best to wait for the new expansion? But from what I can tell that's mostly for like NG+ or something? The new acts look like they're just remixed versions of old maps, is that really worth waiting for?

Or is it going to change a lot of the base game too?

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Deakul posted:

I want to get into this but I heard that it's best to wait for the new expansion? But from what I can tell that's mostly for like NG+ or something? The new acts look like they're just remixed versions of old maps, is that really worth waiting for?

Yeah, you're unlikely to hit the new content (or where it would be) depending on how much you play/power level.

The beta for the expansion is out anyway if you were determined progress quickly.

The expansion is lots of new content though, so when you do get to that level (40 or so) it's pretty good!

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Any in any case, if you play in the "standard" league you won't lose any progress when the expansion does hit.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Deakul posted:

It's removing the NG+ difficulties and replacing it with an expanded campaign that while revisiting older areas feels very different. It will change a ton of balance poo poo in the base game, and it's adding a much much better tutorial which is a bit more relevant for you than balance stuff. If you start now you can get a hang of the systems but you'll probably want to start a new character with everybody else when 3.0 comes out (it's optional but Standard league is a graveyard where trading is nearly impossible and goons won't carry you through the labyrinth or w/e if you need it)

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Deakul posted:

Nah, how it is now is NG+ and NG++. Right now we have 4 acts, 3 playthroughs (a la Diablo). With FoO we have 10 acts, 1 playthrough. The "remix" you refer to being returning back to Wraeclast last after you cause poo poo to really hit the fan.

Besides story, a lot of the mechanics are changing in FoO, things are getting rebalanced and skills/supports are being added. I wouldn't say it's a total waste of time to get started now, just don't get too invested with how things are now.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Just play the two week race that's starting on Friday and then come back for full release of FoO, I'd say.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Are characters getting wiped for FoO?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

enraged_camel posted:

Are characters getting wiped for FoO?

Beta gets wiped. Temp leagues get merged with standard/hc.

Mr. Whale
Apr 9, 2009
I'm deadset on glacial cascade mines as a league starter having tried it in the beta. Both the single target and aoe have been real impressive with zero gear investment. Just need a 4link and you're set.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

I just realized you can get 100% chance to poison with passives and the lesser poison gem. The chance you get from a snakebite's or whatever is only equal to 4 skillpoints. That's probably way better than loving around with frenzy charges

Jinnigan fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jul 13, 2017

i can still taste him
Feb 16, 2003
Buglord

Mr. Whale posted:

I'm deadset on glacial cascade mines as a league starter having tried it in the beta. Both the single target and aoe have been real impressive with zero gear investment. Just need a 4link and you're set.

I'm interested. Are you following a guide? If so, link please.

i can still taste him fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jul 13, 2017

Mr. Whale
Apr 9, 2009

i can still taste him posted:

I'm interested. Are you following a guide? If so, link part.

I'm not, but I know ziggyD is doing glacial mines in beta. I assume his youtube/stream has one.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
What streamer is doing frostbolt in the beta because the threshold gems are way too expensive for what they should be.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Bob NewSCART posted:

There is nothing I want more than a more zoomed out camera. Seriously

They'd have to nerf basically everything to balance a zoomed out camera, its not gonna happen

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
If you play in a hosed up widescreen resolution you'll be able to see more of the map at once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

interrodactyl posted:

If you play in a hosed up widescreen resolution you'll be able to see more of the map at once.

Baked chicken has been streaming ultra windscreen and its pretty funny. Hard to watch though

• Locked thread