Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I would comment on 2.0 but Asus has yet again delayed it for the ZW3 so I'm still waiting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

*crickets*

Silenced mode being decoupled from your phone is a pretty huge downside to 2.0.

DND synced between phone and Wear24 on 2.0 perfectly, when I had my pixel. Now that I'm on an s8+, it doesnt. :(

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Someone wrote an app to do DND sync:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=se.blunden.donotdisturbsync

Pretty shameful that a 3rd-party app would even be needed of course.

Cultural Marxist
Jun 29, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Does the Huawei Watch 1 run Android Wear 2.0 alright? I'm trying to find a watch with NFC, a semi-decent battery and no decorative bezels (looking at you Huawei Watch 2) and it seems to be HW 1 or a Gear S3, and I'd prefer to stick to android wear if possible.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Yeah it runs perfectly well.

Cultural Marxist
Jun 29, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

iajanus posted:

Yeah it runs perfectly well.

Cool, thank you.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
HW1 was one of the two beta devices for AW2.0.

That said it does not have NFC. There was a rumor that it had hidden hardware which is activated by AW2.0, but it's bogus.

Cultural Marxist
Jun 29, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

wolrah posted:

HW1 was one of the two beta devices for AW2.0.

That said it does not have NFC. There was a rumor that it had hidden hardware which is activated by AW2.0, but it's bogus.

Yeah I've just noticed that, curses! I'm starting to suspect that the wear watch I'm looking for doesn't exist.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

Cultural Marxist posted:

Yeah I've just noticed that, curses! I'm starting to suspect that the wear watch I'm looking for doesn't exist.

The Wear watch that everyone wants doesn't exist.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Tried to use Android Pay via my watch at a drive thru and it didn't work at all. That was mildly embarassing. At least I prefaced it with "my watch is supposed to do tap, gonna try it."

That along with needing a pin on my watch every time I pick it up makes it pretty lovely.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I've seen my friend easily and regularly use Apple Pay on his Apple Watch, I mean, come on Google, just....copy that? Please? It's not hard.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
How can I check the version of an app on my watch (Wear 2.0) and/or update the app?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

How can I check the version of an app on my watch (Wear 2.0) and/or update the app?

Open the Play Store, drag down from the very top of the watch and a green pulltab appears. Pull that down. Click the dice icon (I swear I am not making this poo poo up). You can update apps there and see the installed apps and by clicking on one of those, scroll forever to the bottom, click More Info and the version number is there.

Wear 2.0 is absolute poo poo.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

LastInLine posted:

Wear 2.0 is absolute poo poo.

It really is. From "changing watch faces is a very important function that needs to be easily accessible" all the way to "lol who cares about AMOLED??".

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

It really is. From "changing watch faces is a very important function that needs to be easily accessible" all the way to "lol who cares about AMOLED??".

I wish I could say I've softened on it since my rant after getting it but my rage has only intensified. I hate this watch now and I was thinking if the ZenWatch never gets its update to 2.0 I'd buy one on clearance. I'd lose the desk clock on the charger but with the new background I've lost that already. I hate, hate, hate this software.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Rastor posted:

Someone wrote an app to do DND sync:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=se.blunden.donotdisturbsync

Pretty shameful that a 3rd-party app would even be needed of course.

This just muted my watch no matter what my phone was set to.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

This just muted my watch no matter what my phone was set to.

Yeah I looked at it and read the reviews and it was obvious it didn't work.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

Couple of new AW watches.

Their claim to fame being that they're cheap. The Kickstarter price is $119/$139. Retail is $159/$199.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The button's on the wrong side, wtf

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

CLAM DOWN posted:

Not for me!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Deviant.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

I prefer sinister.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

At a young age you made a poor decision and nobody corrected you and you have my sincerest apologies

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Also this. Not completely surprising after the TAG, same parent company and they said more watches were coming. $2,450 -$2,900 and it's the first Wear watch to work in China.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Len posted:

At a young age you made a poor decision and nobody corrected you and you have my sincerest apologies

Or I'm left-handed, and that was the only way I could fasten a watch band at a young age. After a while, I got used to the feel of it there instead of on the other.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

CLAM DOWN posted:

I get that analog watches put it on the right so you can adjust the time with your right hand while the watch is on your left, but if it's just a button without any of the twisting action I think I'd prefer the button on the left because I've had right side buttons dig into the back of hand when fully bent backwards (there is likely a better way of explaining this).

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

AlexDeGruven posted:

Or I'm left-handed, and that was the only way I could fasten a watch band at a young age. After a while, I got used to the feel of it there instead of on the other.

That was :thejoke:

You know because in the past they would force lefties to be righties? Or maybe that was just my small part of middle of nowhere Ohio in the early 90s

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Blue Train posted:

If all you need is the time and a notification you could buy a mi band 2 for like twenty dollars

My understanding is that I can't read a notification on that.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Craptacular! posted:

My understanding is that I can't read a notification on that.

It can show the first 18 characters of the notification, but yea if you need to read it rather than just be notified it won't really work

E: well technically you can have it show the whole notification in 18 character blocks but it vibrates every time and is not a good solution

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Len posted:

You know because in the past they would force lefties to be righties? Or maybe that was just my small part of middle of nowhere Ohio in the early 90s

Gotcha now. Been a long week, lol.

And apparently the Detroit area is comparatively progressive, as all I got from the nuns was dirty looks for my gauche writing style.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Len posted:

That was pretty universal, my mum had them do that to her back in the fifties in Australia (unsuccessfully, since she still does everything left handed).

I am right handed but prefer my watch on my right wrist since it is just more convenient for everything I use it for. I think if I wrote anything with a pen for any amount of time it'd be annoying but this is 2017 so lol to that idea.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Len posted:

My mother in law tried to convert my leftie wife. This was in Vancouver but she's an old school ethnic Indian from Kenya.

On topic, I really like the music ui on 2.0. Much better than the old one.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

My mother in law tried to convert my leftie wife. This was in Vancouver but she's an old school ethnic Indian from Kenya.

On topic, I really like the music ui on 2.0. Much better than the old one.

The UI in the notification itself is better, no doubt, and I feel it's certainly more responsive to touch on my Moto 360/2 (actually the entire watch feels more responsive to touch on 2.0) but the fact that the music notification falls to the bottom of the stack even when it's ongoing is yet another example of Wear 2.0 doing something that makes me wonder if anyone used it at all before it was released.

I actually really like the new option for artwork as the watchface but I never get to see it because I have to have notifications set to never go away if I ever want to see them.

Wear 2.0 is one little thing I like next to three big things I hate.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Also, I feel like the thumbs up/down buttons weren't there the one time I've used Play Music since I got 2.0.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
These watches are bound to have accelerometers/gyros in them right, so if it's upside down it'll know and reorient the display... or is that the joke?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I just got Android Wear 2.0 on my ZW3 and I'm having a few very confusing moments so far:

-Do Not Disturb no longer affects my phone, did they really separate it? So if I'm in a meeting for example, I have to toggle both devices separately?
-Double-push the power button no longer puts it into theatre mode, is that just a changed setting? I don't get why that would be removed
-Swipe left/right from the edge now seems to bring up watch faces, instead of tap and hold....this is incredibly annoying and I've accidentally changed watch faces a couple times now, can this be changed?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Welcome to the lovely new world.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

hooah posted:

Welcome to the lovely new world.

Is there actually nothing I can do about those things because what the loving gently caress, how do I downgrade

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001
Correct, there is nothing you can do about these lovely lovely design decisions. Also, they took away the push-down and pull-up gestures, because gently caress you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

This mindblowingly bad and stupid. Like, this is a step back in literally every single possible way. Why, like, loving why would they remove these things, I don't remotely comprehend. There's no possible argument for removing those things.