Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Here's my budget necro pet build:

https://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/necromancer#WcVSdi!dXfT!YYaaZc

Basically your essence is there to charge up your skeletal mage. Your golem can be used to create 8 fresh revives on demand. Pretty straightforward build I think, I still haven't gotten any cool sets, but I'm at about T3-T4 with some pretty OK legendaries. I still dont have anything worth putting into the cube, I'm pretty disappointed by the lack of legendaries that assist a summoner build.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I still dont have anything worth putting into the cube, I'm pretty disappointed by the lack of legendaries that assist a summoner build.
There's that one phylactery that buffs Command Skeletons, which no one will ever use because the Jesseth set is a must-have and Reilena's Shadowhook is far too good to pass up as your cubed weapon! :downs:

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I'm pretty disappointed by the lack of legendaries that assist a summoner build.

They gave all the good pet items, passives, and sets to the WD and only had scraps to hand out to the Necromancer. The Jesseth Arms weapon set is good, and the Nailuj Evol ring is good for the mages, but there's not much outside of that that is useful (necro-specific at least).

MMAgCh posted:

There's that one phylactery that buffs Command Skeletons, which no one will ever use because the Jesseth set is a must-have and Reilena's Shadowhook is far too good to pass up as your cubed weapon! :downs:

Yea, it's just used for a group Necro RG Killer setup. Hopefully they revert their decision to make skeletons die after about 20ish hits of any damage source, otherwise it makes the secondary on Enforcer and scaling of the phylactery useless.

DrSeRRoD fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jul 11, 2017

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
The ring of Yvan Eht Nioj is pretty powerful too, especially on LT Smash builds

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
Thanks for reminding me that the Simpsons has been bad since 2001.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
I'm starting to think Tasker and Theo is not on the necromancer drop table. Have yet to see a pair and I don't have any in my stash or on other characters. :negative:

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Skypie posted:

I'm starting to think Tasker and Theo is not on the necromancer drop table. Have yet to see a pair and I don't have any in my stash or on other characters. :negative:

It definitely is, I've gotten 3 or so. Now ancient set pieces that aren't Pestilence, that's another story.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Heaps of Sheeps posted:

It definitely is, I've gotten 3 zero or so. Now ancient set pieces that aren't Pestilence Blackthorne's, that's another story.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

HC Necro status: playing on T4 even though I should probably be doing T6, because I am a coward. 2-piece Pestilence owns hard when you don't have real gear yet. Keep getting Trag'Oul pieces that I'm too cowardly to use while I try for Inarius or Rathma's stuff. Necro is still fun, but I remain disappointed that revives and skeleton mages are so very temporary.

Are there any must-have phylacteries I should be cubing for? I've been spending blood shards on whatever my weakest armor piece is, hoping for set items (and being constantly disappointed, because Kadala)

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
So what gems are people using with Inarius post hotfix? I got my Mirinae to 46 and I'm probably going to give it one level per rift until I get a primal worth augmenting.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Heaps of Sheeps posted:

It definitely is, I've gotten 3 or so. Now ancient set pieces that aren't Pestilence, that's another story.

I just have weird luck. Seen TONS of the mage ring, multiples of each set, a couple ancient set pieces. And yet...in all my years of playing D3, I have still only seen one Unity drop

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Walrus Pete posted:

Are there any must-have phylacteries I should be cubing for? I've been spending blood shards on whatever my weakest armor piece is, hoping for set items (and being constantly disappointed, because Kadala)
None of the legendary phylacteries are really worthwhile. If you're running a pet build you could try for Bone Ringer; it's somewhat useful until you've completed the Jesseth Arms set.

Speaking of which, why does that set include a shield rather than a phylactery? There's no set phylactery at all in the game right now and it's a bit strange.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

If I have time in the next few weeks I'm going to do my first seasonal character and try to level them up quickly to get Haedrig's Gift. WD is probably my favorite class, and the Helltooth Set doing a Pet-type build seems like it would be fun. The only other sets which have bonuses/playstyles I like are Crusader and Barbarian, but so far I have found Barbarians to be not fun and my Crusader isn't very high level. I'm just not sure, and I really have to commit because I don't have time to level up and play multiple characters.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
I was going to smugpost about all the babbies complaining about leveling seasonal characters, wherein I extol the virtues of
-Hellfire Ring (50%)
-Leoric's Crown in the cube with a Flawless Royal Ruby socketed into a Cain's set helm (82%)
-Cain's set (50%)
-RNGesus granting you the cow level rift (cow king event gives monstrous experience bonuses)
But then I remembered that seasonal characters all start naked and afraid and broke. :(

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora
I'm trying out the Vyr/Tal Rasha lightning build, and is it normal for the archon beam to just not do poo poo sometimes? I'll put the beam right on top of a paralyzed enemy and just nothing at all happens about half the time.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

I have found Barbarians to be not fun

I... don't think this is the game for you :(

Lynx Winters posted:

I'm trying out the Vyr/Tal Rasha lightning build, and is it normal for the archon beam to just not do poo poo sometimes? I'll put the beam right on top of a paralyzed enemy and just nothing at all happens about half the time.

Definitely normal in my experience but also stupid, whenever it happens try taking a step or teleporting to refresh your position then it should start working again.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Swilo posted:

I... don't think this is the game for you :(

I've greatly enjoyed every other class, though I didn't get DH past like 30. I got my Barbarian to around 40 but it just felt like I spent a whole lot of time chasing down individual baddies. I've never even stepped into a Rift though and I realize that end game is a whole different beast, maybe I'd enjoy Barb more there.

That being said Witch Doctor is just amazing. I'll never get tired of throwing spider jars or locusting people. I think I'll do that for my seasonal character. Everything about the character's feel and theme is so spot on.

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

I shitposted in the same thread for 2 years and all I got was this red text av. Ask me about my autism!

College Slice

Left Ventricle posted:

I was going to smugpost about all the babbies complaining about leveling seasonal characters, wherein I extol the virtues of
-Hellfire Ring (50%)
-Leoric's Crown in the cube with a Flawless Royal Ruby socketed into a Cain's set helm (82%)
-Cain's set (50%)
-RNGesus granting you the cow level rift (cow king event gives monstrous experience bonuses)
But then I remembered that seasonal characters all start naked and afraid and broke. :(

Leoric's crown is 100% drop on first Skeleton King kill in story mode, isn't it?

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

I ride bikes all day posted:

Leoric's crown is 100% drop on first Skeleton King kill in story mode, isn't it?

Yeah, but you won't have a high level ruby to put in it.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
I dislike Barbarians too, by far my least favorite class.

unicr0n
Sep 8, 2003

Lynx Winters posted:

You've definitely got +lightning% damage as your highest elemental damage bonus on gear? I made that mistake once swapping gear around. The damage type of your beam in Archon form is based on highest element on gear. So if it's not lightning you won't be procing manald heal at all with the beam.

SgtArseCandle
Sep 28, 2009

unicr0n posted:

You've definitely got +lightning% damage as your highest elemental damage bonus on gear? I made that mistake once swapping gear around. The damage type of your beam in Archon form is based on highest element on gear. So if it's not lightning you won't be procing manald heal at all with the beam.

I have this issue as well, as if aiming the beam was a bit wonky sometimes. I definitely have lightning as the highest elemental damage bonus (actually, the only elemental damage bonus) and I can usually see MH proc. The problem is that sometimes the enemy is paralyzed, the beam is aimed at them but they are not getting vaporized.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It could just be a regular old stun from Zei's or gear, which won't interact with the MH proc.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

I have found Barbarians to be not fun

I can't stand playing Monk for some reason, I like every other class :shrug:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I find Barb the least fun class to level but there has never been an era of D3 where Barbs have not been good.

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

Verizian posted:

So what gems are people using with Inarius post hotfix? I got my Mirinae to 46 and I'm probably going to give it one level per rift until I get a primal worth augmenting.

People still use Mirinae with it since there's just not too many great options. I've been just playing T13s, so Boon/Trapped/Pain Enhancer, but I've also tried Wreath before and it used to be up 100% of the time, but now, I need to stand in the middle of a big pack to see it proc once or twice. I've heard Toxin is decent also for more tankyness, though the damage take a bit longer than PE to apply. We may/should see a patch before next Season which may or may not buff Inarius to compensate, depending what the dev feel about current Inarius, but it seems to be doing well as RG Killer on the NS 4-man leaderboards right now with pets, so I wouldn't count on it.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

MMAgCh posted:

None of the legendary phylacteries are really worthwhile. If you're running a pet build you could try for Bone Ringer; it's somewhat useful until you've completed the Jesseth Arms set.

Speaking of which, why does that set include a shield rather than a phylactery? There's no set phylactery at all in the game right now and it's a bit strange.

Lost Time is pretty good for speed builds

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
I spent an inordinate amount of materials trying to roll the shield for Jesseth's but then I realized it was a shield and not a phylactery.

:negative:

Whelp, at least this is my non-seasonal stuff.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

I spent an inordinate amount of materials trying to roll the shield for Jesseth's but then I realized it was a shield and not a phylactery.

Jesseth's is an easy item to upgrade from rares in the cube since there aren't that many shields that will natively drop for Necro.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

:same:

the build I looked at called it an off-hand

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

so is necro good?

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Looke posted:

so is necro good?

I like it but no, it's not good. Wait for the balance patch. when they inevitably gently caress it up completely

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
It's fun but my build was getting miserable around lvl 61 until I found two specific legendary items. Even Monk wasn't this much of a slog when I first played the class. There are definitely skills that could use a redesign.

e: and next season I'm playing Monk just for the Thousand Storms gift.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jul 12, 2017

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Heaps of Sheeps posted:

I like it but no, it's not good. Wait for the balance patch. when they inevitably gently caress it up completely

I have nearly 40 hours in it, but then again I'm unemployed. It's definitely not good enough to sway me from playing wiz for season.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Looke posted:

so is necro good?

The aesthetic is great but the mechanics are a bit tedious. If you want to just have a laid back minion party Witch Doctor is better. I have no idea how they're going to fit into the group GR meta.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
If good means fun then yes.
If good means competitive on the global leaderboards (without exploits) then probably not.

That said, I literally haven't looked at the leaderboards once, but I saw Wolfcryer pushing into the mid-to-high 90s in an all Necro group at "only" ~1600 paragon last night; so you'll likely not exhaust the class potential any time soon.

All in all I'd rate the class as a little rough around the edges and not all sets were realized equally, but I don't regret spending :10bux: on it either. And that isn't even counting the two stash tabs.

Plus, giving Blizzard proof that they can monetize this game could might maybe possibly potentially lead to more expansion classes and also maybe some of the Chinese cosmetics and poo poo. But hopefully not any of the pay to win boosts like weekend double xp passes or whatever they have.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Dameius posted:

Plus, giving Blizzard proof that they can monetize this game could might maybe possibly potentially lead to more expansion classes and also maybe some of the Chinese cosmetics and poo poo. But hopefully not any of the pay to win boosts like weekend double xp passes or whatever they have.

"Blizzard brings back the RMAH in Patch 2.7!"

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Nechronic posted:

The aesthetic is great but the mechanics are a bit tedious. If you want to just have a laid back minion party Witch Doctor is better. I have no idea how they're going to fit into the group GR meta.

Trag'oul with pets basically lets you stampede through T13 lightly rolling your fingers over the keyboard. Necro is pretty spammy but they do have some more laid back builds as well.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Larrymer posted:

"Blizzard brings back the RMAH in Patch 2.7!"

The patch we deserve, not the patch we desire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

Dameius posted:

If good means fun then yes.
If good means competitive on the global leaderboards (without exploits) then probably not.

That said, I literally haven't looked at the leaderboards once

Then maybe don't post? Because it's the complete opposite of what you say.

It's the most overpowered solo push class right now, if you look at 2nd place EU and compare it to first place Wiz, the Necro is doing what the wizard can with unoptimized gear, missing ancient pieces, and not fully augmented. At the current rate it's going to be the strongest class in the game by far. That being said, we are expecting nerfs

On the other hand, everyone is complaining because it's not the D2 Necro we dreamed of. There's no reliable pets build that doesn't involve constantly mashing buttons (although they did improve rathmas), corpse explosion is a shadow of its former self, and almost half the skills on the Necro skill bar are completely useless.